What Do Trophies/Achievements Do For You?

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Cronik959

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Cronik959
Member since 2009 • 262 Posts

To me its just anoying garbage that pops up and disrupts my gaming.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23945 Posts

I am mainly indifferent to them. Having well placed achievements can make the game more fun. While on one hand they give me new challenges to games I like, and they challenge me in different ways. For instance, Starcraft 2 had some very well placed achievements in the campaign and it was fun to try to collect them. Dead Rising does this really well as well.

But at the same time, I feel that these artificial achievements somewhat undermine our own personal achievements in game. It may just be me but killing Lord British would be a lot less fun if we got an achievement for it. Our personal achievements are generally obtained by challenging ourselves and if I say I challenge myself by doing something extreme in a game completing it and then get awarded with an achievement it wouldn't feel like MY achievement but rather that the game says, "congratulations you killed Lord British, now join the club of the other 100,000 who killed him" it wouldn't feel as personal anymore and more like something the game wanted you to do anyway. It is probably just me though.

Overall though I do like achievements as long as they are well implemented but I personally prefer the achievements I set by myself. Nothing will ever beat the satisfaction of gaining those. Blizzard knows how to place achievements well judging by their efforts in not only Starcraft 2 but also World of Warcraft.

DivineSword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 DivineSword  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 15840 Posts

It gives me more incentive to play a specific game.

hiryu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#54 hiryu3
Member since 2003 • 7313 Posts
They are additions to games to make games long, ways of making people play crappy games, a hobby similar to stamp collecting, things that some people will think are stupid, things that some people think are great, etc. Also, this topic has been posted to death.
DethSkematik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

#55 DethSkematik
Member since 2008 • 3900 Posts
[QUOTE="DethSkematik"]It lets me know I did the impossible task of beating Chapter 1 :P. locopatho
One of my favourite ones was in Eat Lead: The Return Of Matt Hazard. You get an achievement for pausing the game :lol:

Yeah, I remember that one. I started the game, and got a trophy...I was like, WTF, and had to see what I unlocked :lol:.
standarddamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#56 standarddamage
Member since 2006 • 1143 Posts

[QUOTE="locopatho"][QUOTE="DethSkematik"]It lets me know I did the impossible task of beating Chapter 1 :P. DethSkematik
One of my favourite ones was in Eat Lead: The Return Of Matt Hazard. You get an achievement for pausing the game :lol:

Yeah, I remember that one. I started the game, and got a trophy...I was like, WTF, and had to see what I unlocked :lol:.

Same here. That whole game was so screwed up. Some of the humor was so good and a lot of the gameplay was so bad.

I love Achievements/Trophies in games I enjoy. Definitely adds some replay value to the game in that it gives you something to shoot before besides the simple joy of replaying it. Highly effective for shorter games like Vanquish and Enslaved.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#57 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts
They give me a sense of direction in life and give me something worth living for.
Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#58 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

They give me a sense of direction in life and give me something worth living for.Heil68

Pretty much this. Trophies for me act kind of like a guide, similar to how God guides religious folk through life.

IceBlazerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#59 IceBlazerX
Member since 2010 • 3286 Posts

They are meaningless

testfactor888
Then why do people love them? :?
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
don't care since I get over 50% of them without even trying. Most of them are just a waste of time, like kill so many enemies, drift for so long etc which you will get anyway. Perfect example of how easy most of them are: hl2 get the crowbar, mw2 infiltrate the snowy mountain side base. Both you will get just by playing the game. playing through the game on easy, med, hard etc just to get 3 achievements is nothing but a waste of time. A good game you will play more than once anyway. And things in fallout 3 like complete a certain % of the game with good, neutral and evil karma doesn't achieve anything.
AtlasBizarre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 AtlasBizarre
Member since 2010 • 828 Posts

They make me happy.

pimpog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 pimpog
Member since 2010 • 659 Posts

Help me keep track of how much time I have wasted on video games :cry:

Cloud567kar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Cloud567kar
Member since 2007 • 2656 Posts

Adds more things to do.

xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#65 xsubtownerx
Member since 2007 • 10705 Posts
They give me a sense of achievement.. like, something that would be rewarded with a trophy of some sort.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#66 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
i enjoy collecting trophies and then looking at my collection. i have no idea why though, it's just fun :P so yeah, i like my carrots. (does anyone what i'm referencing?)
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29826 Posts
[QUOTE="IceBlazerX"][QUOTE="testfactor888"]

They are meaningless

Then why do people love them? :?

well, they are meaningless in the grand sense, but i think they're a lot of fun, too. its kind of a pavlovian response, but i personally like seeing that achievement or trophy pop up.
Funconsole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#68 Funconsole
Member since 2009 • 3223 Posts
[QUOTE="funsohng"]I only got platinum in Assassin's Creed II, and I would have replayed that game even if it didn't have trophies, evidenced by the fact I'm beating it again, after platinum-ing it. it's kinda weird though, I got platinum, but they won't give me 100% DNA sync... I still have few more treasures to find, but that's too small of a thing to have huge 2.3% off. do i need DLC secret locations to get 100%?

You need the secret locations for that last 2.3%
T-Aldous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 T-Aldous
Member since 2006 • 1244 Posts

For me they add some replay value as well as a sort of measurement to see how much time a person has spent gaming compared to myself.