What can Sony do to become top dog again?

• 111 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CrossFire245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#101 CrossFire245
Member since 2007 • 1085 Posts

1. Advertise!!!

2. More good games (they have been delivering great games, but you can never give us enough good games).

3. Price drop.

Idk if it would be king, but that we make it seem VERY likeable.

Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts

[QUOTE="Rocky32189"][QUOTE="Bigboi500"] Well you must admit that Blu Ray and non game features don't appeal to hardcore gamers.

hakanakumono

Blu Ray appeals to anyone who wants it. It has nothing to with whether or not someone is a hardcore gamer. It's obvious that Sony completely failed to attract the casuals this time around. They thought that all the PS1 and PS2 owners would blindly follow them into this generation, but instead they bought Wii's. If Sony (or any company for that matter) wants to be number one, they have to appeal to this audience. And yes, price is a huge factor.

Sony catered to gamers by having high quality, popular games on PS1 and PS2. Core games.

Nintendo has grabbed up casual gamers and non gamers with it's control scheme. People don't buy wii to play games. They buy wii to play wii. That's the difference. Sony will just have to wait until people get tired of the allure of motion controls, or create a similarly alluring gimmick oriented console. I hope the latter never comes true.

The PS1 didn't sell 100 million and the PS2 didn't sell 120 million off of core gamers. Most of these were casual gamers, and the same people that have made the Wii such a huge success. This is the audience that has always been Sony's main consumers. This generation, they lost those people to Nintendo. If Sony wants to be "top dog" they need to win this audience back. It's really that simple. Motion controls aren't an "alluring gimmick". They are the future of gaming. Expect Sony and Microsoft to follow Nintendo's lead just like they have in the past. If you haven't noticed, Nintendo has been the creator of every major control change we have had in the past 25 years (controllers in general, directional pads, shoulder buttons, analog sticks, rumble). Motion controls are just the next thing.
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

[QUOTE="Rocky32189"] Blu Ray appeals to anyone who wants it. It has nothing to with whether or not someone is a hardcore gamer. It's obvious that Sony completely failed to attract the casuals this time around. They thought that all the PS1 and PS2 owners would blindly follow them into this generation, but instead they bought Wii's. If Sony (or any company for that matter) wants to be number one, they have to appeal to this audience. And yes, price is a huge factor.Rocky32189

Sony catered to gamers by having high quality, popular games on PS1 and PS2. Core games.

Nintendo has grabbed up casual gamers and non gamers with it's control scheme. People don't buy wii to play games. They buy wii to play wii. That's the difference. Sony will just have to wait until people get tired of the allure of motion controls, or create a similarly alluring gimmick oriented console. I hope the latter never comes true.

The PS1 didn't sell 100 million and the PS2 didn't sell 120 million off of core gamers. Most of these were casual gamers, and the same people that have made the Wii such a huge success. This is the audience that has always been Sony's main consumers. This generation, they lost those people to Nintendo. If Sony wants to be "top dog" they need to win this audience back. It's really that simple. Motion controls aren't an "alluring gimmick". They are the future of gaming. Expect Sony and Microsoft to follow Nintendo's lead just like they have in the past. If you haven't noticed, Nintendo has been the creator of every major control change we have had in the past 25 years (controllers in general, directional pads, shoulder buttons, analog sticks, rumble). Motion controls are just the next thing.

The PS1 and PS2 sold 100 and 120 million off casual gamers who bought core games.

The motion control technology isn't advanced enough to be anything more than an alluring gimmick at this point. And I highly doubt motion control will be the "future." The wii has made it increasingly clear that sometimes just a simple button press is superior.

Funny how all consoles after PS1 followed PS1's two handle ergonomic design, including nintendo with the gamecube. Funny how rumble is inside our controllers now, instead of an attachment we have to buy separately. Nintendo's desperate and successful attempt to regain marketshare isn't indicitive of the future of gaming.

But this is all besides the point that motion controls are the reason why the wii is popular. Sony was popular because it represented high quality games people wanted to play. Nintendo was once the same way. Now Nintendo represents fun gimmicks.

DonPerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#104 DonPerian
Member since 2005 • 3773 Posts

Lower the price of the console, release some casual games, advertise a bunch.

AgentA-Mi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#105 AgentA-Mi6
Member since 2006 • 16714 Posts
200$ Ps4, lots of Exclusives, Gran Turismo Included.
BobSacamento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 BobSacamento
Member since 2003 • 4340 Posts

Lower the price of the console, release some casual games, advertise a bunch.

DonPerian

don just what in the hell are you planning to do with that computer machine

should i be investing in a fallout shelter

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#107 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

The PS1 and PS2 sold 100 and 120 million off casual gamers who bought core games.

The motion control technology isn't advanced enough to be anything more than an alluring gimmick at this point. And I highly doubt motion control will be the "future." The wii has made it increasingly clear that sometimes just a simple button press is superior.

Funny how all consoles after PS1 followed PS1's two handle ergonomic design, including nintendo with the gamecube. Funny how rumble is inside our controllers now, instead of an attachment we have to buy separately. Nintendo's desperate and successful attempt to regain marketshare isn't indicitive of the future of gaming.

But this is all besides the point that motion controls are the reason why the wii is popular. Sony was popular because it represented high quality games people wanted to play. Nintendo was once the same way. Now Nintendo represents fun gimmicks.

hakanakumono

Do you even own a Wii? If not I don't know how you can call it just "an alluring gimmick". Try playing Metroid Prime 3 and Zack & Wiki.

drj077

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 drj077
Member since 2003 • 8375 Posts

Remove all focus from the development of FPS. Continue to develop games like LittleBigPlanet, Fallout3, Ninja Gaiden, God of War, Final Fantasy, and GTA for the system. Continue to encourage multi-platform game development and bring more games from the 360 and PC to the system. Continue to keep PSN free and updated. Lower the price of the lowest system by $30-$50 or bundle the system with more software at the current price.

But, in my opinion, they already are top dog. They are being outsold, not outclassed or bettered at the level of the technology or the software. In fact, they are excelling at both of those levels.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
But this is all besides the point that motion controls are the reason why the wii is popular. Sony was popular because it represented high quality games people wanted to play. Nintendo was once the same way. Now Nintendo represents fun gimmicks.hakanakumono
How curious. Considering how much fun I've got with my Wii this gen, I think Nintendo still represents high quality games.
Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts
[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]The PS1 and PS2 sold 100 and 120 million off casual gamers who bought core games. The motion control technology isn't advanced enough to be anything more than an alluring gimmick at this point. And I highly doubt motion control will be the "future." The wii has made it increasingly clear that sometimes just a simple button press is superior. Funny how all consoles after PS1 followed PS1's two handle ergonomic design, including nintendo with the gamecube. Funny how rumble is inside our controllers now, instead of an attachment we have to buy separately. Nintendo's desperate and successful attempt to regain marketshare isn't indicitive of the future of gaming. But this is all besides the point that motion controls are the reason why the wii is popular. Sony was popular because it represented high quality games people wanted to play. Nintendo was once the same way. Now Nintendo represents fun gimmicks.

1. Don't start this "core game" junk. There is no such thing as a core/casual game, only core and casual games. People play what interests them. It doesn't matter how the casual audience is attracted, but they have to attract them somehow. 2. Wii motion plus makes motion controls as accurate as they need to be without additional technology. The tech in the Wii remote right now improves many games. Some games will always be better with traditional controls, so I'm sure Sony and Microsoft will give the option just like Nintendo is doing now. 3. Yes, with the dual shock Sony improved on what Nintendo had already done. I expect them to do a similar thing with their next console, improving on what the Wii is doing now. 4. There are many factors why the Wii is popular, including motion controls. Nintendo has always been the leading first party developer in the business. So, I'm not sure what you are talking about. All three companies are trying to make high quality games that people wants to play. Nintendo hasn't changed despite what you may think. They've only released 4 different games this gen than they did in all previous gens.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]But this is all besides the point that motion controls are the reason why the wii is popular. Sony was popular because it represented high quality games people wanted to play. Nintendo was once the same way. Now Nintendo represents fun gimmicks.IronBass
How curious. Considering how much fun I've got with my Wii this gen, I think Nintendo still represents high quality games.

Don't be silly, the scores say differently. Oh wait, no they don't. :lol:

But wait, the game critics say Nintendo hasn't released good games. Oh wait, nothey haven't :lol:

I laugh though because I would expect hakanakumono, a fan of JRPGs, to be a little more open minded about about games and different styles in general.