What are your controversial gaming opinions?

• 134 results
Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#101 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6482 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@with_teeth26 said:
@Pedro said:
  • Exclusives are anti consumer and only fanboys celebrate the foolishness
  • Consoles should be standardized and allow for multiple manufacturers
  • Digital games should finally allow for resale (that is coming once physical games finally die)
  • Game purchase should be platform agnostic.

I agree physical games need to die... but I don't see digital key reselling being a thing. Digital games are just software licenses. why would the software creators allow them to be re-sold once the license has been activated?

that would be like MS allowing people to re-sell keys to Windows or MS Word after people have already activated them.

it would also be very easy for people to re-sell keys compared to physical games since the entire transaction could be done instantly online, which would hurt overall sales. Just don't seeing publishers allowing this

If not resale, I'd like to see some sort of sharing ability.

So you guys want physical games to die, but want the benefits of physical games, interesting.

Why would you guys cheer for games to be playable on ALL platforms, but want a monopoly on where these games are bought?

Now PC guys have allowed Gabe kill off physical media and now he has no incentive to allow you to share/sell your games because he knows you are stuck with digital until the end of time.

On the console side, in my country physical games are around $20 cheaper than digital. In places like the US/UK I believe both formats are the same price upon release. There is no excuse for why that should be, digital should be a MINIMUM $20 cheaper, and you can't trade them in or lend them to a friend/family etc, can't price match, it's only upside is that you don't have to leave the house to get a copy, not really a worry as everyone leaves their house everyday anyway.

By killing off physical in the console space it will create a monopoly for MS/Sony/Nintendo because you will have nowhere else to buy games other than their marketplaces, can't lend games, price match, trade games in. One place only, that's a monopoly and bad for gaming.

I'm not against digital as I buy digital games when on a deep sale and when a physical copy (looking at you SBK 22) is not available. For me (and most people) the more options there are the better.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#102 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39466 Posts

Is pooping on Infinite and say that its nowhere near a 9/10 still controversial? Cuz in the official Halo Infinite thread, people were telling me how wrong i was for being negative, but the reality is, i saw it coming way before everyone else👀

InEMplease

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 InEMplease
Member since 2009 • 7461 Posts

Crash Bandicoot is kinda lame. Kingdom Hearts is super lame. Tifa's boobs are too big.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#104  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58439 Posts
@last_lap said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@with_teeth26 said:
@Pedro said:

So you guys want physical games to die, but want the benefits of physical games, interesting.

Why would you guys cheer for games to be playable on ALL platforms, but want a monopoly on where these games are bought?

Now PC guys have allowed Gabe kill off physical media and now he has no incentive to allow you to share/sell your games because he knows you are stuck with digital until the end of time.

On the console side, in my country physical games are around $20 cheaper than digital. In places like the US/UK I believe both formats are the same price upon release. There is no excuse for why that should be, digital should be a MINIMUM $20 cheaper, and you can't trade them in or lend them to a friend/family etc, can't price match, it's only upside is that you don't have to leave the house to get a copy, not really a worry as everyone leaves their house everyday anyway.

I'm not against digital as I buy digital games when on a deep sale and when a physical copy (looking at you SBK 22) is not available. For me (and most people) the more options there are the better.

I don't want physical games "to die" (so dramatic🙄 ), and I don't really care about the benefits (however few they might be) of physical games to a strong degree.

I just think it'd be nice if they loosened up restrictions a bit more. This is more of an anti-capitalist/pro-consumer thing than anything as specific as being in favor of physical games. It's more of me wanting to have my cake (digital format) and to eat it, too (share my games).

Being for physical games is a regressive stance, however; its popularity is diminishing, and it increases the cost of hardware. Instead we should be fighting a progressive battle: pro-digital, but also pro-sharing/re-selling.

Physical media is still, for the most part, entirely pointless in this day and age outside of resale, sharing, and collecting. And I would argue the negatives outweigh the positives.

But I don't want to take those options away from people, either. As you said, more options there are the better.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#105 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13669 Posts

@vatususreturns said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@vatususreturns said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@Litchie said:

PS2 sucked.

Agree. And I've really tried to get into it as a retro gamer.

There are opinions...

but then you have are terrible opinions

PS2 is the best console of ALL TIME, house of the most influential games ever made. Like ICO for example. There would be no Souls or many other games today without ICO

Lets say it still has some good games, because a lot of them haven't aged well, because they're primitive 3D games.

"The best console of ALL TIME"... The "BEST" console of "ALL TIME". You are SO far off the mark.

I am not going to argue about what is the best console of all time, because I don't really think like that, but the PS2 is not it.

Just for one aspect of this, are you going back to play the PS2 more than any other console? Forget all the other awesome retro consoles, are you playing the PS2 more than the Xbox 360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4, Xbox Series or PS5? I doubt it. Even without exclusives, those consoles have a huge amount of games from many gens available on them. And the main difference is, the 3D games from the 7th gen to 9th gen hasn't aged badly.

I still play and imensely enjoy games like DMC1 and 3, MGS 2 and 3, Jak games, Ratchet and Clank games, RE: Code Veronica (its was a dreamcast game but I play it on the PS2), Onimusha, Project Zero, Okami, FFX and XII, ICO and SotC, etc, etc, etc on my old PS2. It still is my favorite retro console to play on and trust me, I've plenty of them

And the argument about having the worst third parties is stupid, cause graphics or performance arent exactly the reason why people play retro games on old consoles. If you want that then go play them on some PC emulator or some of the vast amount of remasters and remakes out there.

So, yeah, I highly disagree. It may not be your favorite but no one cant deny the impact the PS2 had on the games industry. It like argumenting about Messi vs Ronaldo. It doesnt matter who wins, no one cant deny the impact they both had on football legacy, same with PS2 and gaming.

I'm not saying it's not your favourite, I'm just saying it's not the best of all time. There probably isn't a best of all time. I wouldn't want to argue that for any console.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#106 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70049 Posts

The best console of all time is subjective.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Last_Lap

@mrbojangles25: I only used what pedro said, so he was the one being over dramatic in wishing physical to die.

Yes, having a disc drive to read games adds to the cost of the device there's no denying that, but software is where companies such as MS/Sony get their revenue from, and they get a bigger cut selling games from their digital store.

By your own admission digital is anti-consumer by not allowing you to use what you paid for how you please in no sharing/reselling your games. So, when you look at it digital maybe progressive (debatable) but at the cost of the consumer.

You said that physical is pointless, and yet it does the 2 things you most want to do with your digital games, so in fact physical is far from pointless.

And then there's the rabbit hole that is the prices for digital games and the monopoly MS/Sony/Nintendo will have by having the only store to purchase games from.

That's why we need the physical games option to stay relevant in the console scene, it's far too late for the PC crowd, and the only way you're going to get the 2 options you seek is to wait for Gabe to show some goodwill. And he will lose money from it, so it's never going to happen i'm afraid, but I wish you luck.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Pedro

@last_lap said:

@mrbojangles25: I only used what pedro said, so he was the one being over dramatic in wishing physical to die.

Yes, having a disc drive to read games adds to the cost of the device there's no denying that, but software is where companies such as MS/Sony get their revenue from, and they get a bigger cut selling games from their digital store.

By your own admission digital is anti-consumer by not allowing you to use what you paid for how you please in no sharing/reselling your games. So, when you look at it digital maybe progressive (debatable) but at the cost of the consumer.

You said that physical is pointless, and yet it does the 2 things you most want to do with your digital games, so in fact physical is far from pointless.

And then there's the rabbit hole that is the prices for digital games and the monopoly MS/Sony/Nintendo will have by having the only store to purchase games from.

That's why we need the physical games option to stay relevant in the console scene, it's far too late for the PC crowd, and the only way you're going to get the 2 options you seek is to wait for Gabe to show some goodwill. And he will lose money from it, so it's never going to happen i'm afraid, but I wish you luck.

Physical needs to die. It is a medium that no longer fits into the modern consumption of entertainment. Holding on to it is just delaying the changes that are inevitable in digital distribution. Digital games can be shared in a variety of ways that physical does not facilitate especially on Steam and Xbox. The need to resell games is overstated however it is the IP holders right to do so. Because it is overstated, there is not much of a push for it in the digital realm especially with the way games are currently consumed by gamers. Folks like yourself who are pro physical are wasting time arguing against the inevitable. At the very least push for the advancement of physical medium if you are lobbying for it to stay.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 Last_Lap

@Pedro: Aren't you against monopolies? By having digital only it creates a digital monopoly for MS/Sony/Nintendo as they are the only ones who have storefronts in the console space to sell digital games, that's not good for consumers.

Not only that but digital games in the US/UK cost the same as physical games, and in my country MS/Sony sell digital games $20 more than physical games (not sure about Nintendo) and there's no excuse as to why that should be the case, they should be cheaper. Its digital that needs to progress to be pro-consumer not anti-consumer.

More options are better than only one option.

I'm not against digital as I do buy digital, but it needs to be at a heavy discount or if the game is digital only.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Pedro
@last_lap said:

@Pedro: Aren't you against monopolies? By having digital only it creates a digital monopoly for MS/Sony/Nintendo as they are the only ones who have storefronts in the console space to sell digital games, that's not good for consumers.

Not only that but digital games in the US/UK cost the same as physical games, and in my country MS/Sony sell digital games $20 more than physical games (not sure about Nintendo) and there's no excuse as to why that should be the case, they should be cheaper. Its digital that needs to progress to be pro-consumer not anti-consumer.

More options are better than only one option.

I'm not against digital as I do buy digital, but it needs to be at a heavy discount or if the game is digital only.

Digital distribution does not equate to monopolies. I am not sure why you are bundling the concepts. Whilst consoles have only one way to access games, there are alternatives for purchasing thus the existence of redemption codes.

What is the issue with digital games costing the same as physical? I am not sure how that is a con. I don't have to go to the store to purchase a physical copy. I don't need to install it via the slowest medium on the market. And, I don't need to swap disc when I switch games. These conveniences are large factor for many consumers. You should be glad that is cost the same or more because if it was cheaper than physical by default, physical would be dead by now. Like everything else, I wait for sale for the purchase of most games. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Lets be real here. Digital and physical are practically the same. The content is transferred from one medium to the next. Server to internal storage, optical disc to internal storage. Optical to internal storage needs to die and the medium updated.

A game does not need to be at a heavy discount because it is digital. You are paying for the digital content whether it is on a disc or via server. Proposing that the value is less based on how it is downloaded onto a system is silly.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45339 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

@SolidGame_basic:

Yeah, sucks. Understandable though, truly one of those action games for the action gamer. Super niche, even more so than TW101.

Live footage of God Hand players clamoring for a sequel.

Loading Video...

🤣

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 SolidGame_basic

Yea I don’t get how one can say they are pro consumer but then want to limit options people have to buy games.. Pretty silly!

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6851 Posts

I absolutely hate silent protagonists. It feels lazy. And I don't buy the excuse some developers give that a silent protagonist makes you feel more immersed. Nope.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#114 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5275 Posts

- Government should make exclusives illegal, so Nintendo would be forced to release its games on all viable platforms, not its own. I doubt that the gaming market will compel Nintendo to do this by its own.

- Government should make refunds of digital games a right and not dependant on the publishers. It should also allow gamers to sell their digital copies as well. I doubt the industry will implement these practices by its own.

- Home consoles contribute to increasing amount of e-waste. Landfills could be reduced if there are less consoles.

- Government should require that game prices be discounted after a few months after their release. It is similar to the case in Japan where publishers can fixed the price of their games on release, but after six months, they must be discounted. I doubt the industry will implement this practice on its own.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 SolidGame_basic

@onesiphorus said:

- Government should make exclusives illegal, so Nintendo would be forced to release its games on all viable platforms, not its own. I doubt that the gaming market will compel Nintendo to do this by its own.

- Government should make refunds of digital games a right and not dependant on the publishers. It should also allow gamers to sell their digital copies as well. I doubt the industry will implement these practices by its own.

- Home consoles contribute to increasing amount of e-waste. Landfills could be reduced if there are less consoles.

- Government should require that game prices be discounted after a few months after their release. It is similar to the case in Japan where publishers can fixed the price of their games on release, but after six months, they must be discounted. I doubt the industry will implement this practice on its own.

damn, sounds very communistic lol

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#116 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44374 Posts

I’m one of the dozens of God Hand fans. 😅

Would absolutely love a sequel. Would also just love to see available on the PS5 as a PS2 classic.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Pedro

@shellcase86 said:

I absolutely hate silent protagonists. It feels lazy. And I don't buy the excuse some developers give that a silent protagonist makes you feel more immersed. Nope.

I agree.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Last_Lap

@Pedro: Digital should be cheaper. If the game comes on disc then there it a multitude of costs involved with that. Someone has to make the disc, cover, artwork etc, and then mass produce them. That alone costs money, then you need them to be boxed and then shipped to stores all over the country/world that again cost money. Then you need staff to sell the games. So there are costs for physical that stack up, so charging (lets use USD) $60 for a game is reasonable.

Lets look at digital, it has none of those costs and you are still charged the same price (US) as physical for no other reason then greed.

Why would people want to create a monopoly (thats what it is) on where games can be sold, it stiffles competition if you can only purchase games from a single marketplace.

You say buying digital download codes? If game stores close down where would you get these codes from?

Now these codes could come down to the differences in our countries, but we don't have hardly any stores that sell digital game downloads, the only thing they sell is gamepass and the cash cards to put on your account.

As I said I'm not against digital, but doing away with physical is not good for gamers, sadly they can't see that, and yes all digital is inevitable, but hopefully not for the next decade or so.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#119 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

1. Video games are underpriced currently and many small/medium sized studios will be forced out of business if the industry does not see a major correction in the next 5 years.

2. Final Fantasy 7 was not 1/2 the game that Xenogears Was. Squaresoft really messed up by not respecting Xeno enough to fully fund it. (oh well Nintendo sure gained off that mistake lol)

3. Better Graphics really don't do anything for me anymore. I really only care about gameplay and could play a game that was 8 bit if it was fun today with no problems, but cannot stand current high fidelity boring movie games.

4. Gamers in general are entitled obnoxious brats who tend to treat game creators like dogshit and rarely ever have anything nice to say about anything or anyone.

5. Building games are the best genre. I just want to sit back and make something and chill.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#120  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

Spider-Man is good not great. Combat is a poor rip off of Arkham.

Turn based combat is coma inducing shit

RE4 isn’t that great and it isn’t scary at all. Dead space shits on it.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#121  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10508 Posts

elden ring was designed to be solved by the collective hive mind of the player base, not by an individual.

combat in soulsborne games is easy. deciphering the lore, finding the good loots, preparing for enemy encounters and figuring out how to progress are the hard bits.

tlou2 has some of the most visceral, white knuckle and mechanically accomplished survival stealth sections ever. but they're few and far between, and obscured and overshadowed by the heavy handed, intrusive cinematics and the controversies in the story. if sw is anything to go by (and i can only assume this tiny community's views are representative of the world's entire gaming population lol), so many people will never experience them because of those things.

this trend of pretty but overly cinematic, story heavy gameplay-lite titles we've seen emerge this past few years will be like the gaming equivalent of dubstep. enjoy a brief moment of popularity but in several years we'll look back and wonder what were we thinking (more a hope than anything)

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#122 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

Turn-based RPGs > Action RPGS.

The PS1-3 controllers were terrible.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 SolidGame_basic

@mojito1988 said:

1. Video games are underpriced currently and many small/medium sized studios will be forced out of business if the industry does not see a major correction in the next 5 years.

2. Final Fantasy 7 was not 1/2 the game that Xenogears Was. Squaresoft really messed up by not respecting Xeno enough to fully fund it. (oh well Nintendo sure gained off that mistake lol)

3. Better Graphics really don't do anything for me anymore. I really only care about gameplay and could play a game that was 8 bit if it was fun today with no problems, but cannot stand current high fidelity boring movie games.

4. Gamers in general are entitled obnoxious brats who tend to treat game creators like dogshit and rarely ever have anything nice to say about anything or anyone.

5. Building games are the best genre. I just want to sit back and make something and chill.

Point 4 is interesting. There is definitely some entitlement for sure. Maybe it's more pronounced online then in real life lol.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#124 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30573 Posts

- gaming is always getting better

- PS2 is the most overated console of all time

- Bethesda make the best open world games

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 Last_Lap

@PAL360:

-disagree

-agree

-disagree

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By hardwenzen  Online

TLOU2 has the best melee/gunplay in any survival horror, stealth based titles or third person shooters as a whole.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#127 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59211 Posts

If you think Resident Evil 5 is racist, then you're a racist.

As Leon done the exact same shit to poor Spanish people (twice), and you didn't care.

You =

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 hardwenzen  Online

Here's more. Plat Games are average at best. Nier Automata is overrated as ****.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

Far Cry 2 is a great game.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 SolidGame_basic

@hardwenzen said:

Here's more. Plat Games are average at best. Nier Automata is overrated as ****.

Nier Automata is a classic.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 hardwenzen  Online

@SolidGame_basic said:
@hardwenzen said:

And that's what i don't understand. Its an incredibly ugly game with trash characters, but an interesting story if you beat the game 3 times or whatever the amount that is needed for the true ending. I feel like 70% of its praise came from 2b's ass.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 SolidGame_basic

@hardwenzen said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@hardwenzen said:

And that's what i don't understand. Its an incredibly ugly game with trash characters, but an interesting story if you beat the game 3 times or whatever the amount that is needed for the true ending. I feel like 70% of its praise came from 2b's ass.

Vampire Survivors is ugly as hell but it’s considered a great game.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23719 Posts

I get that "average at best" as a figure of speech gets tossed around with little thought.

But nah, Platinum at their best, way the **** better than average lol.

Two S tier action games, tip top of the genre stuff. They have the most mechanically interesting TPS ever made under their belt. From there, a decent list of A tier action games, not best in genre stuff, but still better than most.

And yeah, they've also put out some B grade stuff, and even some straight up shite (usually the licensed stuff).

Inconsistent, yes. Overrated, probably. "Average at best", nope.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 SolidGame_basic

@ConanTheStoner said:

I get that "average at best" as a figure of speech gets tossed around with little thought.

But nah, Platinum at their best, way the **** better than average lol.

Two S tier action games, tip top of the genre stuff. They have the most mechanically interesting TPS ever made under their belt. From there, a decent list of A tier action games, not best in genre stuff, but still better than most.

And yeah, they've also put out some B grade stuff, and even some straight up shite (usually the licensed stuff).

Inconsistent, yes. Overrated, probably. "Average at best", nope.

Which ones are the Two S tier ones? And when are you going to play Bayonetta 3 and Astral Chain lol

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 hardwenzen  Online

@SolidGame_basic said:
@hardwenzen said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@hardwenzen said:

Vampire Survivors is ugly as hell but it’s considered a great game.

Simpleton's game to waste time on when on a bus ride. No thanks.