What are old school hardcore pc gamers opinion of console shooters?

• 190 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#151 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

[QUOTE="SNIPER4321"]Bioshock infinite is JRPG style FPS which have emotion, colorfull etc. its not for hardcore PC gamer.PannicAtack

How does that make it "JRPG-style"? JRPG-style usually means that it has a party-based system, an emphasis on stat-building, and usually a turn-based combat system. What's wrong with having emotion and colours?

You don't make sense.

he only likes Russian games that come in the color palette of black, grey and brown

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#152 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

[QUOTE="PannicAtack"]

[QUOTE="SNIPER4321"]Bioshock infinite is JRPG style FPS which have emotion, colorfull etc. its not for hardcore PC gamer.lostrib

How does that make it "JRPG-style"? JRPG-style usually means that it has a party-based system, an emphasis on stat-building, and usually a turn-based combat system. What's wrong with having emotion and colours?

You don't make sense.

he only likes Russian games that come in the color palette of black, grey and brown

Oh, I just like watching him demonstrate he knows absolutely nothing about gaming, or storytelling, or art in general...
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="PannicAtack"]How does that make it "JRPG-style"? JRPG-style usually means that it has a party-based system, an emphasis on stat-building, and usually a turn-based combat system. What's wrong with having emotion and colours?

You don't make sense.

PannicAtack

Oh, I just like watching him demonstrate he knows absolutely nothing about gaming, or storytelling, or art in general...

he just has really bad taste in everything

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#154 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

[QUOTE="PannicAtack"][QUOTE="lostrib"]

lostrib

The opposite of me. :)
PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="PannicAtack"] Oh, I just like watching him demonstrate he knows absolutely nothing about gaming, or storytelling, or art in general...Michael0134567

No, you also have bad taste, you're just not pretentious or annoying.

Thbbbbbbt.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#156 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59317 Posts

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="wis3boi"] It's sniper without the fvcked up EnglishMichael0134567

I can't decide if that's good or bad

It's still SNIPER.

Sniper knows more about games than half the people on this board. Including you.

You young kids need to get over yourselfs.

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 Michael0134567

[QUOTE="Michael0134567"][QUOTE="lostrib"]

I can't decide if that's good or bad

uninspiredcup

It's still SNIPER.

Sniper knows more about games than half the people on this board. Including you.

Dam casuals.

SNIPER's so damn clueless about everything.
Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 Michael0134567

PannicAtack

No, you also have bad taste, you're just not pretentious or annoying.

Thbbbbbbt.

Hurts, man.
uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 uninspiredcup  Online

[QUOTE="uninspiredcup"]

[QUOTE="Michael0134567"] It's still SNIPER.Michael0134567

Dam casuals.

I'v known sniper for a long time, long before this forum and I can assure you, the man is an expert on video games.

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 Michael0134567

[QUOTE="Michael0134567"][QUOTE="uninspiredcup"]

Dam casuals.

uninspiredcup

I'v known sniper for a long time, long before this forum and I can assure you, the man is an expert on video games.

:lol:
uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 uninspiredcup  Online

We fought in Veitnam together, I know him in real life. He is indeed Russian. And speaks fluently three languages. The fact you guys try to slate him for it when most of you probably don't speak past one language is laughable.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 lostrib

We fought in Veitnam together, I know him in real life. He is indeed Russian. And speaks fluently three languages. The fact you guys try to slate him for it when most of you probably don't speak past one language is laughable.

uninspiredcup

:lol:

uh huh, sure

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#163 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts
[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="PannicAtack"] Oh, I just like watching him demonstrate he knows absolutely nothing about gaming, or storytelling, or art in general...Michael0134567

Definitely the opposite.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#164 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="Michael0134567"][QUOTE="uninspiredcup"]

Dam casuals.

uninspiredcup

Yeah, you've known him since birth, and every time you look in a mirror you make out
Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#165 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

I don't really love playing FPSs anymore anyway. On console or PC. Both systems are a pain to play on.

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 Michael0134567

jg4xchamp

Definitely the opposite.

The Champ Seal of Approval.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts
What a loaded question to that specific demographic. :| Try this next: What are classical music enthusiasts' opinions of Dub-Step? How bout this one: What are wine connoisseurs' opinions of American beer? :roll:
SchnabbleTab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 SchnabbleTab
Member since 2013 • 1488 Posts

I miss old PC exlusive FPS games, all the new games are just so slow and easy, it's kinda saddening.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

[QUOTE="uninspiredcup"]

Shadow Warrior on Herioc mode doesnt let you in a 1 hour level at all. It's more hardcore than any console shooter. You have no idea what you are talking about. Do not attempt to FPS educate me, boy.

ultimate-k

Who cares? The majority of the game it's linear as hell and dumbed down compared to the original's level design.

its not ment to be a remake, its ment to be a reboot soemthing new. 

Linear doesnt=bad.  Shadow warrior is much better than alot of fps these days.

Well they rebooted it and dumbed it down.. not sure how that is a hard point to grasp.

SchnabbleTab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 SchnabbleTab
Member since 2013 • 1488 Posts

uninspiredcup

Yes, SNIPER is an awesome dude, we fought together in WWII back in 1943.

quakke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 5

#171  Edited By quakke
Member since 2006 • 225 Posts

How do i feel about console shooters?

I have holy hate against them. They have turned FPS into shit. They have even turned good console FPS into shit.

Killzone1 on PS2 did not have ironsights or health regen. Halo 1-3 did not have sprintburst or ironsights. These whole console gameplay mechanics in over-use have taught some new people that ironsights, health regen, sprintburst and modern weapons are something that belong in every single FPS. Me myself having been seen whole FPS been born and progress. I know that ironsights only belong in SIMULATIONS. Not in every god damn released shooter. Everything that is not Indie development has had ironsights in them since 2007. Every AAA FPS is nowadays a CoD-clone because the gameplay is identical in every released AAA FPS. From Duke Nukem Forever to Wolfenstein 2009 to Rage to Bulletstorm to Aliens: Colonial Marines...

Where the **** are games like Quake or Redneck Rampage?

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

far cry 3 was on consoles and it was an incredible fps. Your point is invalid.

It has more to do with every dev trying to follow cod success and formula, other than that playing fps with controllers is awful.

Zoso813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By Zoso813
Member since 2013 • 310 Posts

They are inferior simply because playing a FPS on a PC requires more skill. Many 360 noscope MLG xxSephirothxx "pro" shooter players on console would probably be average on the PC. Add to the fact that the best graphics, smoothest/highest frame rate and it's not even close.

Jipset

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 Jipset
Member since 2008 • 2410 Posts

Idk about being 'hardcore' (I don't think any gamer is hardcore unless they like die from gaming for days), but I played a bunch of pc shooters in the 90s and comparing them to console shooters is like comparing apples to oranges. Old-school pc shooters were more fast-paced whereas console shooters are generally slower-paced... I don't really prefer one experience over the other. What I like playing in terms of shooters depends highly on my mood and I don't always feel like playing a shooter where I move at 45 mph. lol

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

I beat Half-Life back in the day when it came out, so I considered myself one of these "old school hardcore pc gamers". Consoles are not the ideal place for FPS games. Last generation was particularly far from ideal (and not worth my time) due to the low resolution, low framerate, and poop netcode. The netcode on MP shooters still really sucks compared to PC, but at least with the PS4 I can play an FPS on the console and actually experience something comparable to PC shooters for once. I don't think the consoles have ever received shooters that felt as complete and as fun to play as Battlefield 4 and Killzone: SF. They run at a high resolution, completely smooth, and are actually really fun to play. Any and every Halo game, for example, isn't half as responsive or as "playable" feeling as BF4 or KZ:SF.

@Zoso813 said:

They are inferior simply because playing a FPS on a PC requires more skill. Many 360 noscope MLG xxSephirothxx "pro" shooter players on console would probably be average on the PC. Add to the fact that the best graphics, smoothest/highest frame rate and it's not even close.

And PC pro gamers would absolutely get stomped on a console. Your point is moot. Maybe console players aren't brain-dead twitch shooters and like more strategy and tactics in their gameplay? Or is the concept of there being more depth to gameplay outside of who's faster and more accurate not appealing to you?

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#176 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21706 Posts

There are a whole lot less key cards.

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 Mystery_Writer
Member since 2004 • 8351 Posts

I think they're after all a necessary evil.

PC is plagued with cheaters + stupid EULAs like EA's Origin.

My only wish for consoles to support Keyb + M

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@uninspiredcup:

@uninspiredcup said:

I look down on them. When Crytek made the leap to consoles with Crysis 2 I automatically had a knee jerk reaction that "this is the death of the franchise". I had this same opinion with fear 2. Bioshock. Dues Ex 2. Theif 4. And so on.

When I think of console shooters like Goldeneye and Halo, I dont consider them in the same league as pc built games like Duke 3d, Doom I/II, Halflife Fear 1 e.t.c...

So hardcore pc gamer hardcore shooter fans who have games for many years. What is your opinion of console built shooters that make up the majority of shooters these days thanks to the xbawx? Have consoles with 2 weapon max, health regen, simple maps and weapon and Xp unlocks made FPS cool dude or square?

What is the definition of a PC-built FPS game? Aren't all the games you mentioned on consoles too? What exactly sets apart a PC shooter? I'm asking because I can't think of any.

Zoso813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 Zoso813

@KHAndAnime said:

I beat Half-Life back in the day when it came out, so I considered myself one of these "old school hardcore pc gamers". Consoles are not the ideal place for FPS games. Last generation was particularly far from ideal (and not worth my time) due to the low resolution, low framerate, and poop netcode. The netcode on MP shooters still really sucks compared to PC, but at least with the PS4 I can play an FPS on the console and actually experience something comparable to PC shooters for once. I don't think the consoles have ever received shooters that felt as complete and as fun to play as Battlefield 4 and Killzone: SF. They run at a high resolution, completely smooth, and are actually really fun to play. Any and every Halo game, for example, isn't half as responsive or as "playable" feeling as BF4 or KZ:SF.

@Zoso813 said:

And PC pro gamers would absolutely get stomped on a console. Your point is moot. Maybe console players aren't brain-dead twitch shooters and like more strategy and tactics in their gameplay? Or is the concept of there being more depth to gameplay outside of who's faster and more accurate not appealing to you?

We're talking about First Person Shooters. Who's faster and more accurate should always take precedent in a game that revolves around shooting a weapon.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@Mystery_Writer said:

PC is plagued with cheaters + stupid EULAs like EA's Origin.

My only wish for consoles to support Keyb + M

I don't think Origin, Steam, or Ubisoft is necessarily bad. They don't really affect the mechanics of the game. But, I agree with the wish for consoles FPS to support keyboard n mouse.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By KHAndAnime

@Zoso813 said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@Zoso813 said:

We're talking about First Person Shooters. Who's faster and more accurate should always take precedent in a game that revolves around shooting a weapon.

Especially if you're 5 years old LOL

Aiming still takes precedence, it's just that there's an additional layer of strategy in console shooters that literally doesn't exist in PC shooters and it can't be denied.

Zoso813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 Zoso813

@KHAndAnime said:

@Zoso813 said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@Zoso813 said:

There's no need for insults in a debate. I'm not saying there shouldn't be more to it, but by and large those simple skills are what made the genre popular in terms of multiplayer.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

My personal opinion is that they're casual as f*ck!

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 KHAndAnime

@Zoso813 said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@Zoso813 said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@Zoso813 said:

There's no need for insults in a debate. I'm not saying there shouldn't be more to it, but by and large those simple skills are what made the genre popular in terms of multiplayer.

Saying that FPS have to be only about shooting things with no additional thought to it is something a little kid would say - I wasn't necessarily saying you were 5 years old. Counter-Strike is the most popular shooter in PC because it evolved beyond that simple twitch gameplay. Counter-Strike isn't an awful game to play with a controller either, I've pubstomped M+KB players with a controller because there are other additional factors to skill in the game other than aiming. In other words - I'm saying FPS games really aren't all that bad with a controller. After spending time playing FPS games on a console lately, I'm always surprised how enjoyable playing with a controller really is.

napo_sp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 napo_sp
Member since 2006 • 649 Posts
Loading Video...

/thread.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#186  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

I played Q3A and UT for many, many years back in the day and the FPS genre was by far my favorite genre up until about Halo #2 or COD clone #999. Now, with the exception of a few PC only FPS like Tribes: Ascend and Shootmania all the new FPS games of today give me the feeling of a dumbed down, over casualised and slow paced console shooter.

I had LOADS more fun playing Shadow Warrior and Brutal Doom recently than I did playing any of the boring, samey new FPS games that have released this year.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

@GiantAssPanda said:
Hardcore. What a stupid word. But anyways, TPS games are manageable, but FPS are a pain. Some linear FPS games are still enjoyable with a controller but open world games (like Far Cry 3) are pretty much agony playing through with a controller.

Why would an open world shooter be harder to play with a controller than a linear?

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

@BlbecekBobecek said:

Consoles killed arena shooters (aka Quake 3 Arena, Unreal Tournament) because it is impossible to control them properly without m+k.

On the other hand I enjoyed quite a few console FPSs (Killzone 2, Resistance 2) and I believe all the 360 HALOs are pretty good too.

Wouldn't mix games like Deus Ex HR, Bioshock Infinite or Dishonored here, those are perfectly playable on consoles and probably wouldn't be economically possible on the scale they were made if there were no consoles.

Overall I think consoles hurt FPS games a lot, because the gameplay of almost all today's FPSs is made so that they can be played with controller (slow pace, etc.) and the diversity is gone.

PC gamers killed arena shooters. UT2k4 is one of the highest rated pc shooters of all time and its community was practically dead within 6 months of release.

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#190  Edited By deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

lol…

"old-school"

"hard-core"

"dumbed down"

Doom 1 and 2 had one-dimensional shooting btw. Also, enemies wandered aimlessly for a few seconds before trying to hurt you. I hated Half-life and still play the original Doom games occasionally.

Most console fighting games have more depth than an "old-school hardcore" shooter, and obviously PC turn-based games do as well.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

@quakke: Quite a bit of an old topic to be bumping.