What are old school hardcore pc gamers opinion of console shooters?

• 190 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59135 Posts

I look down on them. When Crytek made the leap to consoles with Crysis 2 I automatically had a knee jerk reaction that "this is the death of the franchise". I had this same opinion with fear 2. Bioshock. Dues Ex 2. Theif 4. And so on.

When I think of console shooters like Goldeneye and Halo, I dont consider them in the same league as pc built games like Duke 3d, Doom I/II, Halflife Fear 1 e.t.c...

So hardcore pc gamer hardcore shooter fans who have games for many years. What is your opinion of console built shooters that make up the majority of shooters these days thanks to the xbawx? Have consoles with 2 weapon max, health regen, simple maps and weapon and Xp unlocks made FPS cool dude or square?

lilnazar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 lilnazar
Member since 2011 • 1923 Posts

Lol it's funny how Hermits blame the consoles, when it's the braindead developers who can't think straight of what to do next.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23718 Posts

SNIPER would be proud to lay his eggs in here.

Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Sagem28
Member since 2010 • 10498 Posts

SNIPER would be proud to lay his eggs in here.

ConanTheStoner

Just one more reason to avoid this thread like the plague.

v13_KiiLtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 v13_KiiLtz
Member since 2010 • 2791 Posts
PC FPS > Console FPS Console TPS > PC TPS Though to answer your question TC, I don't necessarily blame "consoles" as much as I blame the CoD franchise.
Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

fps on consoles = :lol:

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts
Slow.
HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13669 Posts

Just played Bioshock on the 360 and it's clear it was never meant for the control pad, gunplay is absolutely horrible.

It plays like those PC ports that came to the 360 in it's first year.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#9 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59135 Posts

Just played Bioshock on the 360 and it's clear it was never meant for the control pad, gunplay is absolutely horrible.

HalcyonScarlet

It's funny you'd say that because it plays crap on the pc as well.

Maybe it's just a really shitty, overrated game?

GiantAssPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GiantAssPanda
Member since 2011 • 1885 Posts
Hardcore. What a stupid word. But anyways, TPS games are manageable, but FPS are a pain. Some linear FPS games are still enjoyable with a controller but open world games (like Far Cry 3) are pretty much agony playing through with a controller.
Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

HalcyonScarlet

that's exactly what I thought the first time I used k&m to play a FPS. It was clear that FPS were never meant for k&m. :lol:

GiantAssPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GiantAssPanda
Member since 2011 • 1885 Posts
It was clear that FPS were never meant for k&m. :lol:Gue1
And controllers with analog sticks were?

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Tony-Stark-Eyeroll.gif

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
FPS games used to be PCs domain. But starting with Goldeneye and then solidified with Halo, consoles took over. I adore that we get the likes of Half Life, Bioshock, Deus Ex, Metro etc on console now. The thoughts of playing them with mouse and keyboard makes me wretch :P
Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

[QUOTE="HalcyonScarlet"]

Gue1

that's exactly what I thought the first time I used k&m to play a FPS. It was clear that FPS were never meant for k&m. :lol:

You thought wrong then didn't you.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts
Some are fun(Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime, etc), but most of them are somewhere between meh and garbage. Just like most genres or style of games. There is a group of really good games, and then a larger group of stuff that is probably not worth a spin.
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts

[QUOTE="HalcyonScarlet"]

Gue1

*yawn*
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts

FPS are always better on PC.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Though to answer your question TC, I don't necessarily blame "consoles" as much as I blame the CoD franchise.v13_KiiLtz

Agreed here.

Also, regarding console shooters, I don't think just being console games makes them inherently worse. I just can't stand to play a shooter without a mouse and keyboard. Especially anything fast paced and/or competitive. That's a joke with a gamepad. I've had tons of fun playing many shooters that were designed for consoles. I just play the PC versions, obviously. Although, if I were to put together a list of my top 10 favorite shooters, over half of them would be PC exclusives, or games that  were  PC exclusive for a while, and only got gimped/altered versions on consoles later.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

[QUOTE="HalcyonScarlet"]

Gue1

You need to get better at trolling.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts

Brutal Doom is more fun than the vast majority of FPS on consoles.

Screenshot_Doom_20130309_233726.png

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts
[QUOTE="v13_KiiLtz"]PC FPS > Console FPS Console TPS > PC TPS Though to answer your question TC, I don't necessarily blame "consoles" as much as I blame the CoD franchise.

I blame Cod as well more than anything. Thankfully there is still the occasional good fps but nowdays those are rare ( its kinda pathetic when i can only think 3 good fps i played the last 3-4 years Stalker Cop, Far Cry 3 and Serious sam )
ultimate-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ultimate-k
Member since 2010 • 2348 Posts

Console shooters tend to be generic, hand holding, two weapon limit, no where near as good as PC fps. Crysis went downhill when it went to consoles, so did alot of shooters that started on PC then consoles curropted them.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 locopatho

Console shooters tend to be generic, hand holding, two weapon limit, no where near as good as PC fps. Crysis went downhill when it went to consoles, so did alot of shooters that started on PC then consoles curropted them.

ultimate-k
Far Cry? Metro? Portal? Bioshock? All console multiplats. Blame the devs, not the consoles. You can do whatever you want in terms of design. If devs ape COD, it's their fault, not consoles.
lilnazar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lilnazar
Member since 2011 • 1923 Posts
[QUOTE="ultimate-k"]

locopatho
Far Cry? Metro? Portal? Bioshock? All console multiplats. Blame the devs, not the consoles. You can do whatever you want in terms of design. If devs ape COD, it's their fault, not consoles.

Finally someone understands. We need new developers with fresh brains, because the current ones can't think straight.
Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9875 Posts
Without looking my guess is that they are negative, bitter and derogatory, because that's how old school hermits typically are.
Avatar image for EducatingU_PCMR
EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 EducatingU_PCMR
Member since 2013 • 1581 Posts

Console FPS are a joke. Not only because of the controller, but because the technical limitations.

Even those that are "locked" at 60fps. 60fps isn't enough for me anymore, I need all the fps I can get for improved input latency.

Another thing that I'll never understand, well since this are console FPS we're talking about, is the fact that people play these games on TVs that have 20x the input lag of your average monitor, I really don't know how they do it.

It's sad to see how Crysis went to **** because of the console limitation, Crysis 2 was a POS compared to C1, and the third didn't redeem the franchise.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 locopatho

Console FPS are a joke. Not only because of the controller, but because the technical limitations.

Even those that are "locked" at 60fps. 60fps isn't enough for me anymore, I need all the fps I can get for improved input latency.

Another thing that I'll never understand, well since this are console FPS we're talking about, is the fact that people play these games on TVs that have 20x the input lag of your average monitor, I really don't know how they do it.

It's sad to see how Crysis went to **** because of the console limitation, Crysis 2 was a POS compared to C1, and the third didn't redeem the franchise.

EducatingU_PCMR
Except Far Cry 3 was more open than Crysis 1 (which is also on consoles btw), so it's Cryteks fault for going after COD, rather than making their own game.
v13_KiiLtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 v13_KiiLtz
Some are fun(Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime, etc), but most of them are somewhere between meh and garbage. Just like most genres or style of games. There is a group of really good games, and then a larger group of stuff that is probably not worth a spin.jg4xchamp
TIL RE4 is a first person shooter.
v13_KiiLtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 v13_KiiLtz
[QUOTE="adamosmaki"][QUOTE="v13_KiiLtz"]PC FPS > Console FPS Console TPS > PC TPS Though to answer your question TC, I don't necessarily blame "consoles" as much as I blame the CoD franchise.

I blame Cod as well more than anything. Thankfully there is still the occasional good fps but nowdays those are rare ( its kinda pathetic when i can only think 3 good fps i played the last 3-4 years Stalker Cop, Far Cry 3 and Serious sam )

Yeah, though we should both probably point out that CoD isn't entirely to blame here. Activision are primarily a business and as long as there's demand for the game they are going to keep milking that cow til it's a skeletal corpse. Imho if it wasn't CoD then it would have been another game giving off the same ripple effect that's stagnated shooters for the last generation.
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 locopatho
[QUOTE="v13_KiiLtz"][QUOTE="adamosmaki"][QUOTE="v13_KiiLtz"]PC FPS > Console FPS Console TPS > PC TPS Though to answer your question TC, I don't necessarily blame "consoles" as much as I blame the CoD franchise.

Yeah, though we should both probably point out that CoD isn't entirely to blame here. Activision are primarily a business and as long as there's demand for the game they are going to keep milking that cow til it's a skeletal corpse. Imho if it wasn't CoD then it would have been another game giving off the same ripple effect that's stagnated shooters for the last generation.

I think COD is brilliant. Hating COD for what it is like hating Mario Kart for not being Gran Turismo. COD has it's formula, it's fun and accessible and it works. It gets good to great reviews and sells 10s of millions of copies. More gamers like COD than dislike it. But the problem comes when other devs ape it and do a poor job. Crysis would be the prime offender for me. And also Medal of Honour I guess, but that was always pretty CODish (same devs etc).
Consternated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Consternated
Member since 2013 • 848 Posts
They're too slow.
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts
[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]Some are fun(Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime, etc), but most of them are somewhere between meh and garbage. Just like most genres or style of games. There is a group of really good games, and then a larger group of stuff that is probably not worth a spin.v13_KiiLtz
TIL RE4 is a first person shooter.

Shooter includes FPS & TPS
v13_KiiLtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 v13_KiiLtz
[QUOTE="locopatho"][QUOTE="v13_KiiLtz"][QUOTE="adamosmaki"] I blame Cod as well more than anything. Thankfully there is still the occasional good fps but nowdays those are rare ( its kinda pathetic when i can only think 3 good fps i played the last 3-4 years Stalker Cop, Far Cry 3 and Serious sam )

I think COD is brilliant. Hating COD for what it is like hating Mario Kart for not being Gran Turismo. COD has it's formula, it's fun and accessible and it works. It gets good to great reviews and sells 10s of millions of copies. More gamers like COD than dislike it. But the problem comes when other devs ape it and do a poor job. Crysis would be the prime offender for me. And also Medal of Honour I guess, but that was always pretty CODish (same devs etc).

I don't necessarily hate CoD, I just hate the impact it's done on the industry but as I said before that has more to do with Activision than with the actual game. I loved the first two games and Modern Warfare was great but everything after has just been nonsensical and unnecessary and an obvious attempt at making more money.
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 locopatho
[QUOTE="locopatho"][QUOTE="ultimate-k"]

SNIPER4321

Far cry? it was good when it was PC exclusive Metro? yes PC game that is port on console. Portal? see metro Bioshock?/ LOL its dumbed down system shock 2 and was done better decade ago

False. Far Cry 3 is the best one. Metro and Portal are multiplats :D PC can't support AAA exclusives like that :P Bioshock is better than System Shock.
HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 HalcyonScarlet

[QUOTE="HalcyonScarlet"]

uninspiredcup

It's funny you'd say that because it plays crap on the pc as well.

Maybe it's just a really shitty, overrated game?

lol probably. :)

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 locopatho

I don't necessarily hate CoD, I just hate the impact it's done on the industry but as I said before that has more to do with Activision than with the actual game. I loved the first two games and Modern Warfare was great but everything after has just been nonsensical and unnecessary and an obvious attempt at making more money.v13_KiiLtz

Hey if you had 20 million+ people flinging money at you, you'd make yearly sequels too :P

It always happens. Great game comes out, hordes of lesser devs ape it. Happened with Super Mario Brothers, Street Figher/Mortal Kombat, GTA3, World Of Warcraft, etc. We've been flooded with crappy copies of great games all throughout gaming history. Someone will probably make an epic hairdresser sim next gen and everyone will copy that :P

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 HalcyonScarlet

[QUOTE="HalcyonScarlet"]

Gue1

tbh kb&m isn't for me. I don't enjoy fps too much on it. Haven't played too many, some crap like painkiller and others. HL2 has overated gunplay imo, I played as much as I could mainly because of the urban graphical style and atmosphere more than the gunplay.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 locopatho

[QUOTE="Gue1"]

[QUOTE="HalcyonScarlet"]

HalcyonScarlet

tbh kb&m isn't for me. I don't enjoy fps too much on it. Haven't played too many, some crap like painkiller and others. HL2 has overated gunplay imo, I played as much as I could mainly because of the urban graphical style and atmosphere more than the gunplay.

As an FPS, Half Life 2 is horrible. The guns (except gravity gun and crossbow) and enemies are awful. I think of it as a great atmospheric action adventure type game. Definitely overrated tho.
XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 XxR3m1xInHDn3D
Member since 2013 • 2365 Posts
Unreal Championship 2 Ghost Recon 2 Halo 2 Those 3 games were some of the best shooters on any platform last gen and all exclusive to consoles. The problem is developers not having the balls/skill to try something new and not copy and paste the CoD formula.
BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42 BlbecekBobecek
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

Consoles killed arena shooters (aka Quake 3 Arena, Unreal Tournament) because it is impossible to control them properly without m+k. 

On the other hand I enjoyed quite a few console FPSs (Killzone 2, Resistance 2) and I believe all the 360 HALOs are pretty good too.

Wouldn't mix games like Deus Ex HR, Bioshock Infinite or Dishonored here, those are perfectly playable on consoles and probably wouldn't be economically possible on the scale they were made if there were no consoles.

Overall I think consoles hurt FPS games a lot, because the gameplay of almost all today's FPSs is made so that they can be played with controller (slow pace, etc.) and the diversity is gone.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
not as good as those oldschool shooters, can still be heaps and heaps of fun though
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 locopatho

Consoles killed arena shooters (aka Quake 3 Arena, Unreal Tournament) because it is impossible to control them properly without m+k. 

On the other hand I enjoyed quite a few console FPSs (Killzone 2, Resistance 2) and I believe all the 360 HALOs are pretty good too.

Wouldn't mix games like Deus Ex HR, Bioshock Infinite or Dishonored here, those are perfectly playable on consoles and probably wouldn't be economically possible on the scale they were made if there were no consoles.

Overall I think consoles hurt FPS games a lot, because the gameplay of almost all today's FPSs is made so that they can be played with controller (slow pace, etc.) and the diversity is gone.

BlbecekBobecek
Is the diversity gone? Games like Halo, COD, Dishonoured, Metro, Bioshock, Portal, Far Cry all seem pretty different to me.
XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 XxR3m1xInHDn3D
[QUOTE="SNIPER4321"][QUOTE="XxR3m1xInHDn3D"] Ghost Recon 2 .

wonder if u have played original ghost recon before praising its dumbed down sequel

Yep I have Ghost Recon + Island thunder and although I prefer the first person view it was still way better than AW.
XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 XxR3m1xInHDn3D

BlbecekBobecek

Consoles didn't kill arena shooters. Halo is one of the best (before Reach) and Quake Arena Arcade works great on XBox along with Unreal Championship.

XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 XxR3m1xInHDn3D
[QUOTE="XxR3m1xInHDn3D"] I prefer the first person view it was still way better than AW.SNIPER4321
I suggest you are talking about console version. PC version was excellent and play like original ghost recon. of course its not better than original. it cant be...

The PC version was plagued by cheaters and modders that used 3rd person
XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 XxR3m1xInHDn3D
[QUOTE="SNIPER4321"][QUOTE="XxR3m1xInHDn3D"][QUOTE="SNIPER4321"] I suggest you are talking about console version. PC version was excellent and play like original ghost recon. of course its not better than original. it cant be...

The PC version was plagued by cheaters and modders that used 3rd person

but PC version was still FPS. based on team tactics. unlike console version 3rd person

PC had better single player but the online was fked compared to the 360 version