Was PS4 over-criticized for its launch year?

• 135 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By Thunderdrone
Member since 2009 • 7154 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

@bunchanumbers: @Thunderdrone: ok, I will update the list where applicable. the point is I think PS4 had a very good year despite what people say as a perceived lack of games. I just think the system has been more scrutinized than the other two. and as for your nintendo examples, like I said, we're comparing year 2 of Wii U to year 1 of PS4

You want to compare it to Wii U year one?

Okay:

RETAIL

• The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
  • Wii Fit U
  • Wii Party U
  • New Super Luigi U
  • Game & Wario
  • Pikmin 3
  • Super Mario 3D World

Eshop

• Art Academy: SketchPad
  • Pokémon Rumble U (Ambrella + Nintendo SPD)
  • NES Remix 1

TOTAL = 10

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45106 Posts

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

I'm rather confused, did you call the PS4's first year "amazing"?

18 million PS4s is not amazing?

So... we're on the sales card when your OP was about games?

So it wasn't amazing? for all the announcements, third party support, indies, and first party support?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#103 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: just because there was support doesn't mean the games were good (or amazing) as your list shows

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By SolidGame_basic

@Thunderdrone: @Stevo_the_gamer: so is the scrutiny that PS4 has gotten for its launch year justified? exaggerated? fanboyism? because from my point of view, compared to other launch years, it's doing really well. there were great games all around, from third party, indies, first party, and more.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#105 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

So it wasn't amazing? for all the announcements, third party support, indies, and first party support?

Is this thread about sales or games?

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#106  Edited By bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

@Thunderdrone:

CounterSpy:

The game is being developed with assistance from SCE Foster City Studio, which has previously worked on games in the Uncharted,Infamous, and Resistance series of video games.[6] While historically known for collaborating with the series' respective large development studios, CounterSpy marks the first time they've teamed up with an indie development team, "Dynamighty".[6] The team, while classified as "indie", comprises past staff from LucasArts and Pixar.[7]

w@bunchanumbers said:

How come you still haven't added Minecraft and Kinect Sports Rivals to the Xbox list?

Or why haven't you haven't added Wii Fit U and Dr. Luigi for the Wii U list? Bayonetta 2 and Hyrule Warriors is also co developed by Nintendo SPD. So according to your standards it would be first party assisted so acceptable to your standards. The first NES Remix, Wii Sports Club, and Mario and Sonic @ the winter games is also in your time frame. Pushmo World is also developed by Intelligent Systems and Nintendo too.

So here's what you need to add to the Wii U list according to the requirements you set.

• Wii Fit U
  • Dr. Luigi
  • Bayonettta 2
  • Hyrule Warriors
  • NES Remix
  • Wii Sports Club
  • Mario & Sonic at the Sochi Winter Games
  • Pushmo World

lol did you read the OP at all?

All of those games match the criteria you set. Update your list.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By SolidGame_basic

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

this thread is about the perceived criticism/scrutiny that PS4 has been getting for its launch year. do the other two systems get the same level of scrutiny? it seems to me PS4 gets the most heat, even though it's first year was pretty successful.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Thunderdrone

@SolidGame_basic said:

@Thunderdrone: @Stevo_the_gamer: so is the scrutiny that PS4 has gotten for its launch year justified? exaggerated? fanboyism? because from my point of view, compared to other launch years, it's doing really well. there were great games all around, from third party, indies, first party, and more.

Your thread is predicated on your belief that they released more first party games in a year than nintendo or M$. That is 100% not true.

As for the scrutiny PS4's first party stuff is under; Its justified when part of their limited efforts are plagued with bugs, broken features and clearly unfinished and/rushed elements. They are by far leading the home console market and making the big bucks, and none of that seems to be proportionally reflected in internal efforts. Even after abandoning their second pillar, the Vita, their productivity is way below Nintendo's.

Not only that, the company actually chose to restructure and close down veteran first party dev-teams like Sony Liverpool, while on a massive fucking financial upswing.

Meanwhile Nintendo maintains the highest percentage of employee retention of all three console makers, with a financial bomb of a home console on the market.

Yes, they deserve shit for being lazy.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 SolidGame_basic

@Thunderdrone: I can understand how my post may have been misconstured. That wasn't my intention. All I was saying is that comparatively speaking, I really didn't think the selection of games were that bad considering the library as a whole. Wii U may have had some great 1st party titles, but as a whole, it was really lacking in the games department. I changed the subject title to make the question more direct.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 bunchanumbers

@Thunderdrone said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

@bunchanumbers: @Thunderdrone: ok, I will update the list where applicable. the point is I think PS4 had a very good year despite what people say as a perceived lack of games. I just think the system has been more scrutinized than the other two. and as for your nintendo examples, like I said, we're comparing year 2 of Wii U to year 1 of PS4

You want to compare it to Wii U year one?

Okay:

RETAIL

• The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
  • Wii Fit U
  • Wii Party U
  • New Super Luigi U
  • Game & Wario
  • Pikmin 3
  • Super Mario 3D World

Eshop

• Art Academy: SketchPad
  • Pokémon Rumble U (Ambrella + Nintendo SPD)
  • NES Remix 1

TOTAL = 10

You also forgot Nintendoland, NSMBU as well.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Thunderdrone

Where the hell did my post go?

Fuckin hell this site blows. It chugs, lags and bugs out like some shit slapped together in 10 minutes by an intern, wtf

opex07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 opex07
Member since 2007 • 2236 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

@opex07 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:
@opex07 said:

It would because the majority of PS4s titles have not been received well and have reviewed as below quality titles. Outside of last generation ports and indie games their is only 1 game on the PS4s list to have received an AA or higher.

That's pretty silly. When someone buys a system, they buy all the games available to it.

I usually expect people to buy next gen systems to play next gen games, other wise you can stick to your last gen system to play last gen games in terms of old ports, but are you recommending people go out and buy the Knacks, and Ryse's of game libraries just because they are available to you, what happened to the high standards that this thread is based on?

It's pretty clear what I wrote in the OP. So if you guys didn't bother reading it, that's fine lol. I should know better than to actually write something in this forum lol.

I clearly quoted you and responded to your own text, I don't understand why that wouldn't suggest I had read your text.

You clearly asked why the PS4 is being scrutinized for a lack of games, and I gave probably the largest reason why at this point in time.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#114 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@darkspineslayer: I've been doing this since summer 2005... what are you going to do, mod me? Push another long term user away from the community?

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

@SolidGame_basic said:

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

this thread is about the perceived criticism/scrutiny that PS4 has been getting for its launch year. do the other two systems get the same level of scrutiny? it seems to me PS4 gets the most heat, even though it's first year was pretty successful.

Successful sales wise, or games? Your OP is practically entirely about games, yet it's hard to keep track on where your goal posts are placed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#116 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

@darkspineslayer: I've been doing this since summer 2005... what are you going to do, mod me? Push another long term user away from the community?

I don't intend to antagonize you, but I am just telling you to ease up on antagonizing other users here. There's loads of constructive discussion and discourse about the demerits of the hype cycle, including as it applies to Sony and Sony fans, to be had, and I believe you are more than capable of leading such a discussion.

All I am asking you to do is to live up to the standard you've set for yourself.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

With all those sales you'd think Sony would release more quality first party games.

So far the only game I'd get for the PS4 is Guilty Gear Xrd which can also be played on the PS3.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 bunchanumbers

@SolidGame_basic said:

@bunchanumbers: @Thunderdrone: ok, I will update the list where applicable. the point is I think PS4 had a very good year despite what people say as a perceived lack of games. I just think the system has been more scrutinized than the other two. and as for your nintendo examples, like I said, we're comparing year 2 of Wii U to year 1 of PS4 and Sony still has the multiplat & indie advantage

Thank you for clarifying your title. In fairness the first year releases of all 3 consoles were highly scrutinized. After all its coming off of one of the console cycles in gaming history. You should have started on this tangent.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#119 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

All 3 consoles are weak. Exclusives wise the WiiU did better, but that's a system that offers nothing but exclusives.

Judged independently for someone that isn't a PC gamer, the PS4 and X1 had a decent, if unspectacular start with their first year. Once more of the A-list third party games come out, it'll be all good in the hood. That said for a year to have Alien Isolation, Wolfenstein, The Evil Within, Dragon Age, Far Cry 4, Valiant Hearts, Child of Light, Shadow of Mordor, Geo Wars 3, Strider, Tales from the Borderlands, Telltale's stuff, Transistor, Advanced Warfare, etc you had this crazy thing called options.

With the WiiU if you didn't like Bayonetta 2 for instance, you basically didn't like what...20% (i'm probably overselling it when I say the system had 5 worth a damn games this year) of the games that were worth a damn to purchase this year for that system?

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

Its not lack of games. Its lack of good games. I guess cows cant wrap their heads around that. They only play screenshots and sales.

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#121 Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

Xbox and PS4 had poor launch years.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#122 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

the new topic needs some explanation. In what ways do you think they were over criticized and by who?

joel_c17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By joel_c17
Member since 2005 • 3206 Posts

It got the most hate because it was the most popular - plus the media love hating on sony because it gets them hits.

Robert_Mueller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 Robert_Mueller
Member since 2015 • 164 Posts
@SolidGame_basic said:

Of course it was. From my perspective, it was a rather normal concole launch. No sane person would expect the first year of a new console to be overwhelming with repect to game library.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 SolidGame_basic

@robert_mueller said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Of course it was. From my perspective, it was a rather normal concole launch. No sane person would expect the first year of a new console to be overwhelming with repect to game library.

Agreed. In my opinion, it did better than what was expected for a launch year. I think third party support along with Sony's great marketing (E3 and Playstation Experience), made a great argument for why PS4 is the best all around gaming platform.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

@robert_mueller said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Even the PS3 had a better received exclusive library in its first year than the PS4, and the PS3 last generation at that time was considered a laughing stock. I wouldn't exactly go with "normal" being a fair assessment.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

xbone and wiiu were criticized a lot more their first year and they're better systems. sony has been getting a massive blowjob from fanboys since ps4 and xbone were announced. if anything, it hasn't been criticized enough

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#129 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5249 Posts

I do not remember any criticism of Sony for its PS4 launch year.

YD_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#130 YD_11
Member since 2006 • 1867 Posts

No. Ps4 was 3rd out of 3 over its first year

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#131 Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

@onesiphorus said:

I do not remember any criticism of Sony for its PS4 launch year.

prob cuz hardly any and competition sucks so bad

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#132 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

No, it was criticized fairly.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

@mitu123 said:

As a day 1 PS4 buyer i agree with this.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#135 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

@Snugenz said:

@mitu123 said:

As a day 1 PS4 buyer i agree with this.

I'm also a day one PS4 buyer, hell I bought some PS4 games before the system was out.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

People hyped the PS4 and it's yet to deliver. I doubt it will this year either.