Valve confirms some Early Access games may never be finished

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#51 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

@lostrib said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@lostrib said:

So where did Early access come from?

EA.

Being a child of the 90's and former professional Quake 3 athlete, I played a many hours in the Quake 3 alpha, cost free. Such was the case in the 90's, a wonderful time period.

Then, when consoles became connected to the internet and expansion packs had been corrupted into DLC. It was inevitable. Alphas and Betas, became, preorder demo's. With stats carrying over to the release date. A price hike. A gimmick.

Thus ends the free alpha/beta and so begins the age of consoles. A dark age, full of shit.

And yet you're a console gamer?

Also, how were you a child of the 90's?

Another example would be free2play. It has existed for more than a decade in the Asain markets. With fair pricing models.

Now, due to consoles, publishers are attempting to consciously, as a group, force paying full price for a game, as well as dlc, as well as a season pass, with microtransactions on top.

Will it work? Yes, of course it will. And much like all that is bad in gaming, is has by default leaked over to the pc, corrupted.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#52 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@lostrib said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@lostrib said:

EA.

Being a child of the 90's and former professional Quake 3 athlete, I played a many hours in the Quake 3 alpha, cost free. Such was the case in the 90's, a wonderful time period.

Then, when consoles became connected to the internet and expansion packs had been corrupted into DLC. It was inevitable. Alphas and Betas, became, preorder demo's. With stats carrying over to the release date. A price hike. A gimmick.

Thus ends the free alpha/beta and so begins the age of consoles. A dark age, full of shit.

And yet you're a console gamer?

Also, how were you a child of the 90's?

Another example would be free2play. It has existed for more than a decade in the Asain markets. With fair pricing models.

Now, due to consoles, publishers are attempting to consciously, as a group, force paying full price for a game, as well as dlc, as well as a season pass, with microtransactions on top.

Will it work? Yes, of course it will. And much like all that is bad in gaming, is has by default leaked over to the pc, corrupted.

You didn't answer the questions.

If that's so terrible why are you a console gamer?

@uninspiredcup said:

As primarily a console gamer I find pc gamers very amusing. The "we are the best" attitude doesn't mean much if consoles have outright taken over FPS, RPG's and every genre that generally isn't MMO or casual bejewel tablet games.

And how exactly are you a child of the 90's

@uninspiredcup said:

I fought in the Falkland War. What did you do recently?

(The Falklands War took place in 1982)

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#53  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

The Falkland War was a traumatic time period. It's very cheap and of low character to bring it up.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#54 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

Funny how everyone here so far hasnt brought up the elephant in the room.

Which is Valve's outdated consumer policy. It should have been revised before they released the floodgates to the early access program.

It's no scam. At worst it's exploitative on the promise that the Early Access participant can voice some opinions onto a game or enforce change (which are two things gamers love to do). But hey, I have no qualms if people want to go ahead and buy an Early Access game to stomach the issues and try to enjoy it. But some extra warning in acknowledging that a game may not be complete is a nice start and better than nothing.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#55 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

I find it hilarious that people here still defend these games or the "developers" behind them even after this.

Valve may as well have just said early access developers don't know what they are doing when it comes to making these games you are buying so buy them if you are happy playing them as they are... Broken, because we aren't sure if they are capable enough developers to fix these games let alone complete them.

AmazonAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#56 AmazonAngry
Member since 2014 • 968 Posts

Half finished greatness awaits!

LOL! Valve

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 lostrib

@uninspiredcup said:

The Falkland War was a traumatic time period. It's very cheap and of low character to bring it up.

what do you care since you weren't in it, unless you're lying about the other stuff

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 lostrib

@amazonangry said:

LOL! Valve

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

well, what is the definition of 'finished'?

if a game needed a patch, was it finished?

video games are a bizarre project to produce, you've got aesthetic things like textures, models; then you've got technical things like collision detection, projectiles, maybe netcode - whatever. and those aesthetic things function within a hardware/technically limited framework anyway, but i digress...

the developer calls it finished, well probably because they're not allowed to take forever. it's about time and budget.

short story - i think the most important thing is for valve to properly convey the type of product you're likely to receive when buying an early access game. if the consumer is properly informed, then it's fine by me.

Zethrickk382

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Zethrickk382
Member since 2013 • 480 Posts

So far the only EA games I've gotten are Rust and The Forest. I'd say I've gotten my monies worth from Rust. The Forest is a toss up atm. That being said I do plan on buying into Early Access with H1Z1 without hesitation. I only say/see The Forest being a gamble out of the 3.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#61 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

I think it's silly that Valve even had to spell that out to prospective early access customers. Nobody can force someone to finish a game to your satisfaction. Buying a half baked game carries that inherent risk, and that's common sense. Like Valve said, don't buy if you aren't willing to live with the current version.

I bought into Kerbal Space Program because the game was fantastic when I got it. It's gotten a lot better since then, and they still have big plans. But if they closed shop tomorrow I'd feel I got my money's worth. And even if I didn't I wouldn't go crying to Valve.

AmazonAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By AmazonAngry
Member since 2014 • 968 Posts

@lostrib said:

@amazonangry said:

LOL! Valve

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By lostrib

@amazonangry said:

@lostrib said:

@amazonangry said:

LOL! Valve

Great, another craptacular alt account

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

@lawlessx said:

@ladyblue said:

Project Zomboid isn't finished yet, still got more fun out of it than some of the so called finished games.

some would say its a scam simply because its been in alpha for so long. nevermind the fact that its being updated.

I wish there were more scams like that. :P

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

@Heil68 said:

That's why I dont pay for betas, alphas or whatever they call them to get my money. Free or GTFO.

qft

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46292 Posts

In other words, Valve doesn't care if developers never finish their game as long as they get their 1/3rd on ever sale of an incomplete product.

Just like I thought.

Priapus10101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Priapus10101
Member since 2013 • 157 Posts
@hiphops_savior said:

I think it's funny how it used to be that publishers have to pay people to playtest. Now it's the other way around.

At least they state it upfront unlike some developers .. cough .. EA .. cough BF4.

jake44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#68 jake44
Member since 2003 • 2085 Posts

@seanmcloughlin said:

Well that's the risk you take paying for these. Shit can go down the drain real fast for a studio in the meantime

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#69 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

I really hope the forest gets finished, It looks good but I won't buy it's early access.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

I don't see what the big deal is. Everything Valve said is what I assumed everyone already knew. The games aren't done. Some will have a set schedule and some might be like Minecraft where they're in an unfinished state for years. You should only buy an Early Access game if you're happy playing and paying for an unfinished game or you want to slip the dev some money for the love of it. If you want a finished game, wait until an official release. That just makes sense to me.

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 TheFadeForever
Member since 2013 • 2655 Posts

That's why you don't buy it unless you are really interested in actually playtesting the game

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@IgGy621985: This is like Kickstarter with beta access. I'm not forking over money for you to make a salary and then never complete the damn game. Screw that. this is why I usually just wait for these type of games to be 100% complete and available for purchase before opening my wallet. I have supported a few Kickstarter developers, but only the ones I truly trust to get the job done.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

It's pretty clear that on Steam Early Access you're not getting full game, just potential for it. Nobody is holding the gun to your head. If you don't like this model just don't buy it. Wait for the full version. Alpha funding allows those who want to get into the game earlier, help to get them made and influence the design. It's an additonal option, nothing more.

If you're scared of options and choices maybe PC isn't the right platform for you.

chernoalpha527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 chernoalpha527
Member since 2013 • 169 Posts

No shit thats why I don't pay for unfinished games.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By AdrianWerner

@uninspiredcup said:

Wait...so a huge deweloper, swimming in cash, with half the team driving ferrarris and with a full backing of huge publisher did this? Jeez...I wonder why cash strapped indie devs of today can't do the same...;)

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By AdrianWerner
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

People leaning on the whole "its a alpha" defence... Have you guys ever played alpha's outside of Early Access?

Worst case scenario in a Alpha... Bad performance with a glitch or two and the games are only in Alpha for 2-3 months, BF4 and ESO was the last Alphas I played outside of Early Access "Alphas".

Ermm..you don;t know what alpha is. Alpha is still not features complete. That's the whole point of it. "Bad performance with a glitch or two" is beta and late beta at that.

You just got your perception screwed up by fake testing, like BF4 and ESO, where it's used as promotional tool intead of actual testing.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#77 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

@Heil68 said:

That's why I dont pay for betas, alphas or whatever they call them to get my money. Free or GTFO.

Wise words. The exact philosophy Sony would live by.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#78 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

Honestly I'm not a fan of Early Access, but I try to think of it like Steam's version of crowd funding only there is a base alpha version to play first up.

Games might not finish, might not hit promises which is like Kickstarter games really.

Butcer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Butcer2
Member since 2010 • 75 Posts

@IgGy621985:

@IgGy621985 said:

Valve has updated its FAQ on Steam's Early Access games program to explicitly state that games may never be completed by their developers.

The response to the question "When will these games release?" now reads:

"Its [sic] up to the developer to determine when they are ready to 'release'. Some developers have a concrete deadline in mind, while others will get a better sense as the development of the game progresses. You should be aware that some teams will be unable to 'finish' their game. So you should only buy an Early Access game if you are excited about playing it in its current state."

Source.

FAQ.

Well, this is terrible. Valve actually confirmed Early Access is a potential scam for the customer, and they won't do anything about it. I can't believe there isn't some kind of obligation from the developer towards the customer/Steam to actually finish the goddamned game.

Funny thing is, the FAQ also says: "This is the way games should be made."

What do you think?

early access will be a graveyard of unfinished vaporware people payed for

KiZZo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 KiZZo1
Member since 2007 • 3989 Posts

We have to thank Minecraft for this garbage development scheme ...

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#81  Edited By speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@lostrib said:

EA.

I have to agree with you.

This is becoming pathetic. We make people rich before they even completed their job. IF they will complete their job ofc.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#82 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

A big reason i don't support early access or Kickstarter. They reap all the benefits of an unfinished product, while we take all the risk with the money

Avatar image for deactivated-660c2894dc19c
deactivated-660c2894dc19c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#83  Edited By deactivated-660c2894dc19c
Member since 2004 • 2190 Posts

Early Access is one form of crowdfunding. There was always the risk that the game will never get finished, especially if it doesn't get enough support. I generally avoid it, but I've bought couple ones I'm absolutely certain of. Like Divinity: Original Sin and Wasteland 2.

That being said, Valve should really take measures to prevent blatant scams.