Valve confirms some Early Access games may never be finished

• 52 results
#51 Posted by uninspiredcup (8680 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@lostrib said:

So where did Early access come from?

EA.

Being a child of the 90's and former professional Quake 3 athlete, I played a many hours in the Quake 3 alpha, cost free. Such was the case in the 90's, a wonderful time period.

Then, when consoles became connected to the internet and expansion packs had been corrupted into DLC. It was inevitable. Alphas and Betas, became, preorder demo's. With stats carrying over to the release date. A price hike. A gimmick.

Thus ends the free alpha/beta and so begins the age of consoles. A dark age, full of shit.

And yet you're a console gamer?

Also, how were you a child of the 90's?

Another example would be free2play. It has existed for more than a decade in the Asain markets. With fair pricing models.

Now, due to consoles, publishers are attempting to consciously, as a group, force paying full price for a game, as well as dlc, as well as a season pass, with microtransactions on top.

Will it work? Yes, of course it will. And much like all that is bad in gaming, is has by default leaked over to the pc, corrupted.

#52 Posted by lostrib (37042 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@lostrib said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@lostrib said:

EA.

Being a child of the 90's and former professional Quake 3 athlete, I played a many hours in the Quake 3 alpha, cost free. Such was the case in the 90's, a wonderful time period.

Then, when consoles became connected to the internet and expansion packs had been corrupted into DLC. It was inevitable. Alphas and Betas, became, preorder demo's. With stats carrying over to the release date. A price hike. A gimmick.

Thus ends the free alpha/beta and so begins the age of consoles. A dark age, full of shit.

And yet you're a console gamer?

Also, how were you a child of the 90's?

Another example would be free2play. It has existed for more than a decade in the Asain markets. With fair pricing models.

Now, due to consoles, publishers are attempting to consciously, as a group, force paying full price for a game, as well as dlc, as well as a season pass, with microtransactions on top.

Will it work? Yes, of course it will. And much like all that is bad in gaming, is has by default leaked over to the pc, corrupted.

You didn't answer the questions.

If that's so terrible why are you a console gamer?

@uninspiredcup said:

As primarily a console gamer I find pc gamers very amusing. The "we are the best" attitude doesn't mean much if consoles have outright taken over FPS, RPG's and every genre that generally isn't MMO or casual bejewel tablet games.

And how exactly are you a child of the 90's

@uninspiredcup said:

I fought in the Falkland War. What did you do recently?

(The Falklands War took place in 1982)

#53 Edited by uninspiredcup (8680 posts) -

The Falkland War was a traumatic time period. It's very cheap and of low character to bring it up.

#54 Posted by illmatic87 (15264 posts) -

Funny how everyone here so far hasnt brought up the elephant in the room.

Which is Valve's outdated consumer policy. It should have been revised before they released the floodgates to the early access program.

It's no scam. At worst it's exploitative on the promise that the Early Access participant can voice some opinions onto a game or enforce change (which are two things gamers love to do). But hey, I have no qualms if people want to go ahead and buy an Early Access game to stomach the issues and try to enjoy it. But some extra warning in acknowledging that a game may not be complete is a nice start and better than nothing.

#55 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (3889 posts) -

I find it hilarious that people here still defend these games or the "developers" behind them even after this.

Valve may as well have just said early access developers don't know what they are doing when it comes to making these games you are buying so buy them if you are happy playing them as they are... Broken, because we aren't sure if they are capable enough developers to fix these games let alone complete them.

#56 Posted by AmazonAngry (945 posts) -

Half finished greatness awaits!

LOL! Valve

#57 Posted by lostrib (37042 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

The Falkland War was a traumatic time period. It's very cheap and of low character to bring it up.

what do you care since you weren't in it, unless you're lying about the other stuff

#58 Posted by lostrib (37042 posts) -

@amazonangry said:

LOL! Valve

#59 Edited by CrownKingArthur (4813 posts) -

well, what is the definition of 'finished'?

if a game needed a patch, was it finished?

video games are a bizarre project to produce, you've got aesthetic things like textures, models; then you've got technical things like collision detection, projectiles, maybe netcode - whatever. and those aesthetic things function within a hardware/technically limited framework anyway, but i digress...

the developer calls it finished, well probably because they're not allowed to take forever. it's about time and budget.

short story - i think the most important thing is for valve to properly convey the type of product you're likely to receive when buying an early access game. if the consumer is properly informed, then it's fine by me.

#60 Posted by Zethrickk382 (173 posts) -

So far the only EA games I've gotten are Rust and The Forest. I'd say I've gotten my monies worth from Rust. The Forest is a toss up atm. That being said I do plan on buying into Early Access with H1Z1 without hesitation. I only say/see The Forest being a gamble out of the 3.

#61 Posted by santoron (7749 posts) -

I think it's silly that Valve even had to spell that out to prospective early access customers. Nobody can force someone to finish a game to your satisfaction. Buying a half baked game carries that inherent risk, and that's common sense. Like Valve said, don't buy if you aren't willing to live with the current version.

I bought into Kerbal Space Program because the game was fantastic when I got it. It's gotten a lot better since then, and they still have big plans. But if they closed shop tomorrow I'd feel I got my money's worth. And even if I didn't I wouldn't go crying to Valve.

#62 Edited by AmazonAngry (945 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@amazonangry said:

LOL! Valve

#63 Edited by lostrib (37042 posts) -

@amazonangry said:

@lostrib said:

@amazonangry said:

LOL! Valve

Great, another craptacular alt account

#64 Posted by LadyBlue (3928 posts) -

@lawlessx said:

@ladyblue said:

Project Zomboid isn't finished yet, still got more fun out of it than some of the so called finished games.

some would say its a scam simply because its been in alpha for so long. nevermind the fact that its being updated.

I wish there were more scams like that. :P

#65 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2696 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

That's why I dont pay for betas, alphas or whatever they call them to get my money. Free or GTFO.

qft

#66 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16614 posts) -

In other words, Valve doesn't care if developers never finish their game as long as they get their 1/3rd on ever sale of an incomplete product.

Just like I thought.

#67 Posted by Priapus10101 (99 posts) -
@hiphops_savior said:

I think it's funny how it used to be that publishers have to pay people to playtest. Now it's the other way around.

At least they state it upfront unlike some developers .. cough .. EA .. cough BF4.

#68 Posted by jake44 (2021 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

Well that's the risk you take paying for these. Shit can go down the drain real fast for a studio in the meantime

#69 Posted by thehig1 (2069 posts) -

I really hope the forest gets finished, It looks good but I won't buy it's early access.

#70 Posted by Senor_Kami (8411 posts) -

I don't see what the big deal is. Everything Valve said is what I assumed everyone already knew. The games aren't done. Some will have a set schedule and some might be like Minecraft where they're in an unfinished state for years. You should only buy an Early Access game if you're happy playing and paying for an unfinished game or you want to slip the dev some money for the love of it. If you want a finished game, wait until an official release. That just makes sense to me.

#71 Posted by TheFadeForever (1787 posts) -

That's why you don't buy it unless you are really interested in actually playtesting the game

#72 Posted by blackace (20753 posts) -

@IgGy621985: This is like Kickstarter with beta access. I'm not forking over money for you to make a salary and then never complete the damn game. Screw that. this is why I usually just wait for these type of games to be 100% complete and available for purchase before opening my wallet. I have supported a few Kickstarter developers, but only the ones I truly trust to get the job done.

#73 Posted by AdrianWerner (28058 posts) -

It's pretty clear that on Steam Early Access you're not getting full game, just potential for it. Nobody is holding the gun to your head. If you don't like this model just don't buy it. Wait for the full version. Alpha funding allows those who want to get into the game earlier, help to get them made and influence the design. It's an additonal option, nothing more.

If you're scared of options and choices maybe PC isn't the right platform for you.

#74 Posted by chernoalpha527 (168 posts) -

No shit thats why I don't pay for unfinished games.

#75 Edited by AdrianWerner (28058 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

Wait...so a huge deweloper, swimming in cash, with half the team driving ferrarris and with a full backing of huge publisher did this? Jeez...I wonder why cash strapped indie devs of today can't do the same...;)

#76 Edited by AdrianWerner (28058 posts) -
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

People leaning on the whole "its a alpha" defence... Have you guys ever played alpha's outside of Early Access?

Worst case scenario in a Alpha... Bad performance with a glitch or two and the games are only in Alpha for 2-3 months, BF4 and ESO was the last Alphas I played outside of Early Access "Alphas".

Ermm..you don;t know what alpha is. Alpha is still not features complete. That's the whole point of it. "Bad performance with a glitch or two" is beta and late beta at that.

You just got your perception screwed up by fake testing, like BF4 and ESO, where it's used as promotional tool intead of actual testing.

#77 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (7888 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

That's why I dont pay for betas, alphas or whatever they call them to get my money. Free or GTFO.

Wise words. The exact philosophy Sony would live by.

#78 Posted by nutcrackr (12607 posts) -

Honestly I'm not a fan of Early Access, but I try to think of it like Steam's version of crowd funding only there is a base alpha version to play first up.

Games might not finish, might not hit promises which is like Kickstarter games really.

#79 Posted by Butcer2 (63 posts) -

@IgGy621985:

@IgGy621985 said:

Valve has updated its FAQ on Steam's Early Access games program to explicitly state that games may never be completed by their developers.

The response to the question "When will these games release?" now reads:

"Its [sic] up to the developer to determine when they are ready to 'release'. Some developers have a concrete deadline in mind, while others will get a better sense as the development of the game progresses. You should be aware that some teams will be unable to 'finish' their game. So you should only buy an Early Access game if you are excited about playing it in its current state."

Source.

FAQ.

Well, this is terrible. Valve actually confirmed Early Access is a potential scam for the customer, and they won't do anything about it. I can't believe there isn't some kind of obligation from the developer towards the customer/Steam to actually finish the goddamned game.

Funny thing is, the FAQ also says: "This is the way games should be made."

What do you think?

early access will be a graveyard of unfinished vaporware people payed for

#80 Posted by KiZZo1 (3965 posts) -

We have to thank Minecraft for this garbage development scheme ...

#81 Edited by speedfog (3201 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@lostrib said:

EA.

I have to agree with you.

This is becoming pathetic. We make people rich before they even completed their job. IF they will complete their job ofc.

#82 Posted by The_Last_Ride (71869 posts) -

A big reason i don't support early access or Kickstarter. They reap all the benefits of an unfinished product, while we take all the risk with the money

#83 Edited by Icarian (1491 posts) -

Early Access is one form of crowdfunding. There was always the risk that the game will never get finished, especially if it doesn't get enough support. I generally avoid it, but I've bought couple ones I'm absolutely certain of. Like Divinity: Original Sin and Wasteland 2.

That being said, Valve should really take measures to prevent blatant scams.