inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

Possibly the best horror game i have ever played. I just finished my first playthrough just 5 minutes ago and I would highly encourage you all to play it; let me tell you why (No spoilers)

This game nails character design. It's really refreshing to see a game with really well thought out characters, each with their own motives, opinions and personalities. Some characters i wanted to just punch in the face whilst others i was rooting for through the game, and it really affected the choices i made throughout the game and possibly how the game ended.

With many recent horror games having a very basic or lacking a story entirely, i found Until Dawn's horror-B-Movie style story worked really well in the context of the game. That and the characters really helped push me through the game; resulting in me not putting the game down until i finished the game at 4am! (thank God for bank holiday Monday!)

The sound design is also top banana. The atmosphere and soundtrack is just set right from the start, giving a huge air of suspense, complimenting the rest of the design so well.

So, i encourage all who haven't to pick this up. Have you played Until Dawn system warrior's? What did you think of it if so? And if you haven't played it yet, then what's holding you back?

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

I intend to play it for sure....glad you liked it and people are liking it.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 inggrish

@chikenfriedrice: oh dude you have to! I would recommend playing it soon, before all the story details are spoiled :)

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

I thought it was a pretty fun horror game. Was amazed by how cool the story was. Definitely better then i had expected, i think Sony really dropped the ball on this one, they should have marketed it better.

polishkid99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#5 polishkid99
Member since 2007 • 4787 Posts

@_Matt_: Haven't played it, but just watched a couple videos. Did you ever get a vibe of comedy while you played it? I also think most horror movies are quite funny (bad acting, bad plot, funny deaths, etc)

What's your take on it in the game? is the suspense and horror believable?

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts

Glad to hear. I look forward to getting it at some point.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

Like any story based games like David Cage games and Telltale games, it's most important a game has a compelling narrative. I like horror a lot too, so I'm receptive. But, just as important, the game needs a choice consequence system with some degree of freedom and an ability to really be able to see how choices effect how the story plays out. I saw them specifically mentioning this in promotional video I saw on YouTube the other day that said this was a focus of the development. It'll be interesting to see how this game handled it. I actually love story games so this game seems up my alley. I'll be sure to get this along with Bloodborne when I finally do pick up my PS4.

RTUUMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RTUUMM
Member since 2008 • 4859 Posts

Im not interested.

The GS review got me to take some interest on it and it looked a bit better than I thought, but to be honest... I still dont give a **** about it.

Im glad it isnt a flop of a game, but no thanks.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Are there boobs?

I don't think it can be a B-Horror Movie without boobs

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

Best surprise of the year.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

I cannot believe this. I've seen angryjoe and some other streamers play it for hours and it looked like a 6/10 game. This is the kind of games you buy for $15 during summer when there's nothing to play.

Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
ninjapirate2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ninjapirate2000
Member since 2008 • 3347 Posts

I want to play this game but when it's $20. I love campy horror films.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11796 Posts

I watched Tetra Ninja's playthrough, Until Dawn would make a great horror movie since almost every horror movie these days is paranormal ghost crap it would be refreshing to see some actual damn monsters. It reminds me a lot of The Descent which is one of my most favorite horror movies.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#14 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58964 Posts

Look like an unscary movie game System Shock 2 dumps on.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@_Matt_ said:

Possibly the best horror game i have ever played. I just finished my first playthrough just 5 minutes ago and I would highly encourage you all to play it; let me tell you why (No spoilers)

This game nails character design. It's really refreshing to see a game with really well thought out characters, each with their own motives, opinions and personalities. Some characters i wanted to just punch in the face whilst others i was rooting for through the game, and it really affected the choices i made throughout the game and possibly how the game ended.

With many recent horror games having a very basic or lacking a story entirely, i found Until Dawn's horror-B-Movie style story worked really well in the context of the game. That and the characters really helped push me through the game; resulting in me not putting the game down until i finished the game at 4am! (thank God for bank holiday Monday!)

The sound design is also top banana. The atmosphere and soundtrack is just set right from the start, giving a huge air of suspense, complimenting the rest of the design so well.

So, i encourage all who haven't to pick this up. Have you played Until Dawn system warrior's? What did you think of it if so? And if you haven't played it yet, then what's holding you back?

I have to agree, I love some of the characters in UD (Mike is hands down a BAMF) like Mike, Chris, Ashley, Jess (dat ass!) and Sam, hell even that Doctor is a well done character. The story is also pretty amazing and I do like the twist in it, along with the combination of few things.

I wasn't even hyped for this game and I actually got it cause my GF just randomly bought it for me. UD is the first game since Xcom EU and Mass Effect 1-3 that actually made me freak out if I ether lost a member of my group or was about to lose them, like what happens to (spoilers at what can happen to Mike and Jess) When Jess gets taken and Mike is furiously looking for her, at a cross road I made the wrong choice and that ended up costing Jess's life, seeing Mike breakdown was heartbreaking

I'm at the last chapter and it's easily a 9.5/10 for me and a top 5 game for 2015 in my book.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@lostrib said:

Are there boobs?

I don't think it can be a B-Horror Movie without boobs

Don't think there's boobs, but damn there's a lot of nice pixel ass in yoga pants.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@_Matt_: I'll play it next year, just like Cows will play TR next year. lol!! I can wait. There are other games I'd rather play first like Mad Max, Fallout 4, Nathan Drake Collection, Forza 6, Halo 5, and so much more.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

I do love the horror genre and this looks pretty decent, will rent or watch it on Youtube eventurally.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#19 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@NoodleFighter said:

I watched Tetra Ninja's playthrough, Until Dawn would make a great horror movie since almost every horror movie these days is paranormal ghost crap it would be refreshing to see some actual damn monsters. It reminds me a lot of The Descent which is one of my most favorite horror movies.

The Descent was an amazing movie. Its sequel is extremely underrated. Wish there was Descent 3. Shauna McDonalds (Protagonist) was also amazing.

ToScA-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ToScA-
Member since 2006 • 5782 Posts

Seems interesting although I wasn't a big of Heavy Rain

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21  Edited By finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

So im playing this game in two different ways the first one is my own gameplay so far at chapter 2 and with friends (group decision, etc) at chapter 5.

Gotta say i dont play games like this often but this game is highly interesting and its more interesting when you play it with multiple people and see how they act to the decisions, etc

isturbo1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 isturbo1984
Member since 2015 • 660 Posts

Game looks good. I have the rest of the year planned out and Until Dawn is not on of my day-1s, so it will wait. Probably pick it up on Black Friday for about $30.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

Interactive movie game

was forgotten about since it flopped in the nineties

But sony revives it, yay.

DrSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DrSpoon
Member since 2015 • 628 Posts

Thanks for your review OP - will have to check it out at some point - only reason I haven't yet is lack of funds and there are lots of other titles out at the moment I wanna try first.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#25 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

I have to admit that I'm actually surprised at the reception of this game. I will definitely end up picking it up in the future since I'm a big fan of survival horror games.

A-new-Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 A-new-Guardian
Member since 2015 • 2458 Posts

Honeymoon phase and all. But yeah it's pretty good.

I'm just thinking if it only played like Siren games, the way it takes control away from the player makes it less intense on second playthrough. Siren still keeps me scared and watching my back whenever I move around but until dawn is very limited in player control so the first playthrough is going to be incredible but you'll see it for what it is on a second playthrough. I still love it but it had huge potential to be something bigger had it given more gameplay freedom to the player, I'll accept it for what it is and what it's trying to do but i'll also speak out on why it isn't as good as past survival horror games. Really the limited player control takes away a lot of the tension even on first playthrough at times.

Finally I'd like to give props to them for making great but cliche B-horror movie characters that work so well and enjoyable. Mike and the Doc are the most interesting characters, Emily is a bitch. The doctor is John abbruzi from prison break if you hadn't noticed. Sam bath scene was hilarious too.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By inggrish

@polishkid99 said:

@_Matt_: Haven't played it, but just watched a couple videos. Did you ever get a vibe of comedy while you played it? I also think most horror movies are quite funny (bad acting, bad plot, funny deaths, etc)

What's your take on it in the game? is the suspense and horror believable?

While the characters definitely play into the 80s/90s teen slasher tropes; the actual suspense and horror felt very real; mostly in part to the amazing acting (both voice and animation) of the characters. The plot was also quite cliche at times; but at others it deliberately went against the cliche just to keep you on your toes.

@Ballroompirate said:
@_Matt_ said:

OP

I have to agree, I love some of the characters in UD (Mike is hands down a BAMF) like Mike, Chris, Ashley, Jess (dat ass!) and Sam, hell even that Doctor is a well done character. The story is also pretty amazing and I do like the twist in it, along with the combination of few things.

I wasn't even hyped for this game and I actually got it cause my GF just randomly bought it for me. UD is the first game since Xcom EU and Mass Effect 1-3 that actually made me freak out if I ether lost a member of my group or was about to lose them, like what happens to (spoilers at what can happen to Mike and Jess) When Jess gets taken and Mike is furiously looking for her, at a cross road I made the wrong choice and that ended up costing Jess's life, seeing Mike breakdown was heartbreaking

I'm at the last chapter and it's easily a 9.5/10 for me and a top 5 game for 2015 in my book.

Yeah some of the characters are great. I really wanted to punch Jess, Mike, and Emily close to the beginning of the game, but as it progressed I definitely didn't want them to die. I think Sam is my favourite character though, or possibly just the one I would most likely get on with in real life. I also like Chris.

I was fortunately able to make the right decisions when getting to Jess, though I wasn't sure I had because I only saw her for a moment again before she fell and was not seen for another 5 chapters or so!

I think likewise this is a top 5 games of 2015 for me, I was not expecting it to be this good.

@blackace said:

@_Matt_: I'll play it next year, just like Cows will play TR next year. lol!! I can wait. There are other games I'd rather play first like Mad Max, Fallout 4, Nathan Drake Collection, Forza 6, Halo 5, and so much more.

I'm not understanding the reference to Tomb Raider? I'd recommend playing it sooner rather than later though, this game relies on not knowing much about the story :)

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By inggrish

@a-new-guardian said:

I'm just thinking if it only played like Siren games, the way it takes control away from the player makes it less intense on second playthrough. Siren still keeps me scared and watching my back whenever I move around but until dawn is very limited in player control so the first playthrough is going to be incredible but you'll see it for what it is on a second playthrough. I still love it but it had huge potential to be something bigger had it given more gameplay freedom to the player, I'll accept it for what it is and what it's trying to do but i'll also speak out on why it isn't as good as past survival horror games. Really the limited player control takes away a lot of the tension even on first playthrough at times.

Finally I'd like to give props to them for making great but cliche B-horror movie characters that work so well and enjoyable. Mike and the Doc are the most interesting characters, Emily is a bitch. The doctor is John abbruzi from prison break if you hadn't noticed. Sam bath scene was hilarious too.

I have been wondering how the second playthrough will feel; I think I will still love it though, even if I don't enjoy it as much as the first. I want to get the platinum trophy now.

Does it ever say which doctor that guy is? I was trying to work out who he was when picking up notes and similar

A-new-Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 A-new-Guardian

@_Matt_ said:
@a-new-guardian said:

I have been wondering how the second playthrough will feel; I think I will still love it though, even if I don't enjoy it as much as the first. I want to get the platinum trophy now.

Does it ever say which doctor that guy is? I was trying to work out who he was when picking up notes and similar

The character is played by Peter Stormare . he also played John abbruzi the mob boss from Prison Break.

The character he plays in the game the Doctor who asks you questions is Dr. Alan Hill

Dr. Hill was trained as a psychiatrist before the events of the game . Some time before the one year reunion of the survivors, he has multiple therapy sessions with you know who

here is everything you need to know about him Link

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 inggrish

@a-new-guardian said:
@_Matt_ said:
@a-new-guardian said:

The character is played by Peter Stormare . he also played John abbruzi the mob boss from Prison Break.

The character he plays in the game the Doctor who asks you questions is Dr. Alan Hill

Dr. Hill was trained as a psychiatrist before the events of the game . Some time before the one year reunion of the survivors, he has multiple therapy sessions with you know who

I really liked his character. Did you manage to understand much about the flamethrower dude? I couldn't work out who he was either. Other than the obvious that he had been about there for many years and was capturing the wendigos

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Is there any sniping in it? No scoping? Ooooooh, how bout ninjas?

A-new-Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By A-new-Guardian

@_Matt_ said:
@a-new-guardian said:
@_Matt_ said:
@a-new-guardian said:

I really liked his character. Did you manage to understand much about the flamethrower dude? I couldn't work out who he was either. Other than the obvious that he had been about there for many years and was capturing the wendigos

He and his family live in the mountains and hunted Windigos before the Washington's bought the place, nothing is known about them, perhaps they died trying to capture the windigos. just think of him as the hunter who died. I thought he was the killer at first and never thought there was a supernatural plot, really liked how that was revealed.

The stranger or flamethrower guy tried to help the sisters but they fell off the mountain and disappeared which led Josh to struggle and suffer mental sickness, hallucinations and blaming his friends who took part in what happened that night.

after his sisters both went missing his parents assigned Doctor Hill to help Josh with his mental illness and come to accept what happened a year ago on that night, he never did based on the responses you choose during your session with Dr.Hill.

Chris also mentions Josh not taking his medicine during the events of the night they spent in that place. as seen too by the way he behaves later in the night when Mike and Chris tie him up and he starts talking to himself and displays hatred towards chris for choosing Ashley over him.

Bottom line is Josh after what happened and who took part in that prank that caused his sisters death stopped caring about his friends (Except for Sam maybe and Chris, they seem like they're really good friends with him, they also didn't participate in the prank) and decided to do this prank as a revenge for his sisters.

This is how the game looked on the PS3 by the way. glad it was remade for current gen.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#33 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

I love it, it's easily one of my favourite games I've played this year. I started another playthrough, and I should really get back to continuing that. I love Ashley too.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

very fun game.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts

@ninjapirate2000 said:

Out of curiosity why don't you wait for other games to drop in price?

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

@_Matt_:

That's good to hear! :) Gonna get it, for sure!

NoirLamia777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 NoirLamia777
Member since 2012 • 3180 Posts

Definitely will get it around Halloween, love having a good horror game to play around then. I also trust your judgment knowing your taste in games.

Skelly34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Skelly34
Member since 2015 • 2353 Posts

@Flubbbs said:

very fun game.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

But can't you just watch it on Youtube?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56104 Posts

I really enjoyed Heavy Rain. I'll pick this up when it's cheaper. but the problem about these kind of games is once you know the major outcome, there's not really much point doing it again hence Heavy Rain.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Did you sh*t out of your mouth again? That must be a terrible medical condition, Jankarop.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

@ninjapirate2000 said:

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 inggrish

@princessgomez92 said:

I love it, it's easily one of my favourite games I've played this year. I started another playthrough, and I should really get back to continuing that. I love Ashley too.

Likewise! I liked Ashley until she started becoming really whiny and self centered towards the end of the game. I like Matt, Chris and Sam :)

I'm gonna try doing some trophies then will be jumping into my second playthrough.

@Desmonic said:

@_Matt_:

That's good to hear! :) Gonna get it, for sure!

@NoirLamia777 said:

Definitely will get it around Halloween, love having a good horror game to play around then. I also trust your judgment knowing your taste in games.

Definitely do guys! :)

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 inggrish

@ten_pints said:

This isn't The Order, you know. Your choices affect what goes on in the story, so watching on Youtube is probably the worst way to experience this game. That is unless you watch all games on Youtube and never play them, in which case sure go ahead.

@clone01 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Did you sh*t out of your mouth again? That must be a terrible medical condition, Jankarop.

Quite messy too I'd imagine.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts

Everything I've watched of this basically says it's better than it had any right to be. It's a stupid, cheesy, David "shit-up-everything" Cage adventure game, but good looking, clever, reasonably entertaining, and with hilarious death animations.

To say it's the best horror game EVER is quite a stretch though. Especially since it isn't really that scary.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#47 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58964 Posts

@_Matt_ said:
@ten_pints said:

This isn't The Order, you know. Your choices affect what goes on in the story, so watching on Youtube is probably the worst way to experience this game. That is unless you watch all games on Youtube and never play them, in which case sure go ahead.

@clone01 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Sadly, almost the entire world agrees System Shock 2 is superior, nothing change that.

Unfortunate.

PhoenixCash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 PhoenixCash
Member since 2015 • 49 Posts

Waiting for a good Black Friday deal to get a PS4, Hopefully I can get this game for 20 bucks. I want to play it but I'm not spending a full 60$ on it.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@_Matt_ said:
@ten_pints said:

@clone01 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Sadly, almost the entire world agrees System Shock 2 is superior, nothing change that.

Unfortunate.

Please cite said references, Jankarop.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#50 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Looks like a fun game and I would buy it if it was on Xbox One, only thing is it seems pricey at 60$ it looks like more of a 30-40$ game imo