true or false: PS Now will be a flop for Sony

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll true or false: PS Now will be a flop for Sony (67 votes)

true 48%
false 52%

Personally I don't really see it being a huge hit. It seems like a niche product. Plus, I would figure most people have had enough of 7th gen (and older) already!

• 
DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#1 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

It's not something with a physical presence. I doubt it can be too much of a flop.

The hype for this has been fairly good and as long as it's priced reasonably I can see it taking off.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Let's all remember how awesome was Onlive

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

I think the better poll would be "how much jelly will psnow cause in non-ps4 owners."

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MonsieurX

@xboxdone74 said:

I think the better poll would be "how much jelly will psnow cause in non-ps4 owners."

PS Now won't even be exclusive to PS4

lol as usual

Draign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Draign
Member since 2013 • 1824 Posts

The beginning of physical media going the way of the dinosaur. its ok because its Sony.

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By XboxDone74

@MonsieurX:

And we have our first casuality. Lets give him a round of applause, folks. B-)

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MonsieurX

@xboxdone74 said:

@MonsieurX:

Owned so hard,it's fine for you to cry a little bit and not believe it.

I guess that renders the PS3 obsolete

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/features/game/3497234/what-is-playstation-now/

For starters, PlayStation Now will launch on the PS4 and will be followed by the PS Vita handheld system. Most of Sony's US 2014 Bravia TV models will also support PS Now and the firm has said it will also bring the service to non-PlayStation and Sony devices.

Read more: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/features/game/3497234/what-is-playstation-now/#ixzz2v1LNnNwY

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

way to early to tell.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

@xboxdone74 said:

@MonsieurX:

For starters, PlayStation Now will launch on the PS4 and will be followed by the PS Vita handheld system. Most of Sony's US 2014 Bravia TV models will also support PS Now and the firm has said it will also bring the service to non-PlayStation and Sony devices.

Read more: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/features/game/3497234/what-is-playstation-now/#ixzz2v1LNnNwY

I wonder if he ever gets tired of being wrong

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MonsieurX

And he's going to avoid my post as usual and come later later claiming something about PC and the begging

@lostrib said:

@MonsieurX said:

@xboxdone74 said:

@MonsieurX:

I wonder if he ever gets tired of being wrong

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts

I don't know how well it will do, but I have absolutely no interest in it and I really hope that it flops.

The idea of streaming video games disgusts me and I would hate to see gaming go further down that path. I don't think streaming video games is going to work flawlessly any time soon and it is also very important to me that I own my games and not just rent them.

tyloss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 tyloss
Member since 2012 • 846 Posts

As of now, Sony's cloud seems to be much better than Microsoft's.

But admitley Microsofts cloud is a joke.

Too early to tell.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6851 Posts

Pretty excited for it, we'll see how they position it. I don't think it will be a hit or a miss, but somewhere in between.

Gesyma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Gesyma
Member since 2003 • 1082 Posts

All the gamers who went with Wii or 360 only last gen will get this service to catch up on the great games they missed. Keep in mind this is not a PS4 exclusive service... it will be available on computers, tablets, possibly smart TVs, phones, etc. The potential user base is MASSIVE. It'd be virtually impossible for this to flop especially with the solid first party software that will drive it.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

I don't think it will fail, but I personally have no interest in it at all. I have a PS2 to play my PS1 and PS2 games and my PS3 plays PS1 and PS3 games, so I am good. Still got all my old games that I cared to keep.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

It could be a flop or not, I don't know I have no interest in PSNow.

If it brings them money or not, it doesn't matter. It's not like I get paid either way. It's just another option. The games on the service will be games I already own. I can see the value for others, but not for me.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#17 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

i will sub to it if it has good games

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22734 Posts

It all depends on latency and a price model... I personally would only consider it as a once a year purchase... Not a monthly Netflix subscription type. That said, if they can find a way to get the games to run without drag and not bloat the service price I could be interested....

If they do go monthly subscription, I'd actually love to see a tiered pricing model. 3.99 for 4 games a month or something.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Isn't the beta going on in only two cities? Ask these people how its working. My guess is they are picked to be local to avoid how broken this service really is.

Hype is up, real world performance is down.

One more piece of crap for Sony to step in.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#20 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

I'd need to see the pricing model and library first. But I won't be getting it no matter what it's got or how much it costs.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

With SONY behind it and riding the success of the juggernaut PS$, anything is possible.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

False, whatever happens to SONY the Ps4 will be a resounding success, it's the first SONY console that is so developer friendly it's not even funny and for the first time the Playsation has a solid lead in hardware over the other consoles.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

true or not I just know that I will not be supporting that scam.

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

If price is right it'll be fine. I just hope they get through all the PS3 games so that they can get pressure to somehow release PS1 and PS2 games through Now or other means.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

If the service is good it will be fine. and if it's a scam only a small amount of peple will support PSNow.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27  Edited By jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

its a 50/50 for me right now. it could go either way. depends on price and what is actually offered. im drooling over all the backlogged rpgs that ever released on the sony platforms

nyzma23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 nyzma23
Member since 2013 • 1003 Posts

@Heil68 said:

With SONY behind it and riding the success of the juggernaut PS$, anything is possible.

amen brother

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 XboxDone74

@MonsieurX: ssshhh my son. it will be ok. Dry those eyes....embrace your Sony master....and get back to begging for those console games. B-)

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts

It depends on how much it'll cost and all that. I can't wait to try it on the Vita but who knows how much it could suck. OnLive was pretty bad so.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#31 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Well seeing how it will be the only way for you to play The Last of Us or any PS3 game on your PS4 I can't see it failing.

Eisen_Howl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Eisen_Howl
Member since 2014 • 83 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

@xboxdone74 said:

@MonsieurX:

This was just too good of an ownage that i had to sign in while in the middle of breakfast before work just so i can congratulate you.

That was so quick of an ownage, and done so well; i really wish i could give you a cookie!

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4197 Posts

There's too many unknown factors to determine whether or not it will be successful. In theory, it makes a lot of sense. Streaming TV and film has become a dominant force in the industry, and launching something similar in the video game world has a ton of potential. However, we don't know how that's going to work.

Streaming an entire game that could be up to 12 or 15 GB for ps3 titles could be disastrous to bandwidth and overall performance. With internet companies trying to figure out how to charge more for internet, I don't think any of them are going to be terribly happy about streaming services increasing exponentially in data size.

The other thing is the library. Running a game off a disk or a hard drive is a hell of a lot different than streaming it off the internet, and the truth is, we have no idea how that's going to work. We've seen bits and pieces of this in the failed OnLive console, and reports were fairly mixed in terms of performance. Also, in regards to saved games, we don't know if saves will be relegated to the Cloud or if we'll be able to save our files on our own ps4's.

If I had to make an educated guess based on the launches of other new products and features for consoles, I think Playstation Now's going to have a horribly disastrous launch in the vein of SimCity, but after working through the bugs, it will be a great service. I think it'll probably be a nightmare for at least the first three months.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

To be honest................. I dont see that many people getting in to it.

Im not really dying to replay old games , and I still have my PS3 with all the games I have wanted to buy through out the time I've own it.

And I never really care for PS1 games and there arent really any PS2 games that I wanna replay, cuz I wasnt all that in to gaming durring the PS2 era if it wasnt a DBZ game. We already have the GOW games and the MGS games as well as all those other HD collections.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18800 Posts

Long term I don't see the point. And I personally would rather have built in BC support.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

I'd just prefer all of PS3's biggest hits being released on a physical disc.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#37 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9574 Posts

It's petty much a win/win situation for me as a collector.... as it will allow the price of physical media fluctuate on a more consistent basis allowing me to purchase games I don't already own for rock bottom prices.

I probably wont sub (unless they re-activate online servers for certain games... however, I'm not even sure if that is possible) simply for the fact I probably already own most of what will be offered, but it is a GREAT idea, and I am sure it will be successful if executed properly.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 navyguy21  Online
Member since 2003 • 17439 Posts

I think it will kind of................exist........like HOME.

The fact that it needs a constant 5 Mbs connection puts it in the category of Onlive. The image quality is what is going to make or break this. I dont want to play The Last of Us through a video stream in which the quality fluctuates depending on time of day or usage of the people around me.

That directly affects my enjoyment of the game. They shouldve invested in an emulator that allows you to run games on the console. Charge for the app if you want, i dont care. Charge a subscription for the app, fine. Just let me play from my console, not an internet or cloud stream.

I think it will have the same level of success and market penetration as Onlive. Sure, i could stream on PC, but it is still dependent on my connection.

Simcity, Diablo 3, and a ton of other online-only games prove that connections arent stable and being dependent on the internet isnt good.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17669 Posts

If it works well and is priced right, day one.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MonsieurX

@xboxdone74 said:

@MonsieurX: ssshhh my son. it will be ok. Dry those eyes....embrace your Sony master....and get back to begging for those console games. B-)

Thanks for proving my point,once again

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

I would much rather have software emulation make the console backwards compatible. What its like 8 times more powerful than a PS3, surely they can make it play the games without making me subscribe to another PS+ priced service.

I have no plans on paying for this. Have they even stated how they are going to deal with latency issues, especially when it comes to online multiplayer. Latency makes or breaks the gameplay when your are playing online.

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

I just don't see how it is going to succeed unless they can get some good games. I don't see how they will get good games unless they charge a substantial subscription fee to pay the big publishers for the rights to use their games. I don't see why gamers will pay a substantial subscription fee to play games that will be older games that they probably already own on their other systems. Etc, ad naseum.

betamaxx83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By betamaxx83
Member since 2013 • 360 Posts

It's all going to depend on the price and the selection and variety. I won't be getting it until it has a decent selection of PS1,2,3 games.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#44 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Isn't the beta going on in only two cities? Ask these people how its working. My guess is they are picked to be local to avoid how broken this service really is.

Companies don't run betas as part of their marketing push. They are conducted for practical reasons.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

i think it will fail at first but catch on abit later. how many people, exclude hardcore gamers because we are in the minority, want to play old games? the only shot they have at making it successful is tapping into the tablet market by advertising the sh%t out of it

happyduds77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 happyduds77
Member since 2012 • 1688 Posts

True because Sony won't support it as much.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

@Articuno76 said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Companies don't run betas as part of their marketing push. They are conducted for practical reasons.

Yeah, no shit. Where did i say it was marketing?

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

I just receive the Beta key from Sony. I'll try it out and see if it is worth it.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6059 Posts

They can't even get music unlimited to work right.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

Let's all remember how awesome was Onlive