Too Human - Gaming with a Sense of Wonder

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

leonjuretic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 leonjuretic
Member since 2005 • 271 Posts
well yea I'm looking forward to it...same as everything with swords really, but on a more serious note it should be amazing if they do everything as they said they would do, the only think im interested in seeing is how the robots will work out...not a big fan of futuristic shootouts
subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#52 subrosian
Member since 2005 • 14232 Posts
[QUOTE="subrosian"]

[QUOTE="hywel69"]I wish they'd make the characters and armour look more diverse. As is you can play as this dude "Baldur, or you can play as "Baldur". So far choices of amour come in blue, or alternatively blue. Looking forward to game, but I think they've made some real dumb choices.dkhw

It seems to me you have not done much research on this game - you may wish to take a look again, as Too Human has more character customization than you'd think was possible. Every armor can be customized to different colors, and there are thousands of armor combinations to choose from.

Armor comes in every color of the rainbow, with sty1es ranging from slim & fitted all the way to ridiculous amounts of plating, spikes, and ornate details.

I agree. The art design of weapons and armors are one of the best I've seen in a RPG game. It's that animations that get to me though. It's so painfully awkward...

Also, 20 -30 hours doesn't seem a lot for a RPG. I guess co-op makes up for that...but maybe instead of a Trilogy, two games would have been better.

It's not a typical RPG though, where that "hundreds of hours of content" is hundreds of hours of "My _________ is _________ gather X of Y items at Z locations and kill X of Y monsters at Z locations!" This is seamless cinematic storytelling combined with fast-paced action.

The replay value here is insanely high, but when you consider we're paying for quality (GeoW, Cod4, GTA IV) in getting that 10 ~ 30 hours, and not quantity, I'd say it's a fair amount of unique content - and I'm sure I'll likely get hundreds of hours out of the game in multi. I don't like including that number though, because while some people will play a game like Halo 3 or Call of Duty 4 for a couple hundred hours - otherws will only do the single player - if that's all you are doing in Too Human, doing just one run through, expect a twenty hour experience. If you're doing what you'd do in an MMO, exploring, teaming up with people, etc - forget it, the number is easily much higher - but again, I like to say twenty when I describe it, because that's a minimum.

-

The animations in the game are fantastic if you've seen high-def, high-speed film coverage of the latest game builds (I'm having trouble finding this online, unfortunately). Most of the streaming videos are at a much lower resolution and framerate, it doesn't do the game justice. Nor are we dealing with a final build - the game doesn't come out until August 17th - for example, Lost Odyssey went from 2 minute load times to 10 second load times in a period of a few weeks - these are things that come together at the end, not beginning, of a game.

As of co-op show time, Too Human is running at 30fps, I don't think they'll hit 60, but a steady 30 is not at all what we were seeing in 2007 when that complaint was addressed.

hongkingkong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#53 hongkingkong
Member since 2006 • 9368 Posts

The story looks engaging. Thats about all i can say about it.

OOT is poor by today's standards in terms of , well, everything, you can play it now for nostalgia but it can't match up to the finish of games of the same ilk such as GTA4 (free roam i mean).

Avatar image for -TheSecondSign-
-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 -TheSecondSign-
Member since 2007 • 9301 Posts

I am excited.

What is your gamertag?

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 subrosian

So far choices of amour come in blue, or alternatively blue. hywel69

Insults of Too Human tend to reflect a lack of research, not a problem with the game itself. Any criticism of this game that is possible has already been addressed in the design.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

[QUOTE="hywel69"]So far choices of amour come in blue, or alternatively blue. subrosian

Insults of Too Human tend to reflect a lack of research, not a problem with the game itself. Any criticism of this game that is possible has already been addressed in the design.

The sheer amount of variety is astonishing. Every play through is going to be like Christmas and I am going to love truly personalizing my character to make him uniquely my own. And I'm sure he'll never look the same more than a couple days at a time, lol lol :D

On the viral videos, wow, brilliant marketing. Taking the events of the game from the perspective of people for which this is now so many millenia afterwards, imbuing the game with a sense of not just wonder, but genuine history, and how much more remarkable history is than we are given to believe. I just love technological historical roots of mythology.

It's too bad however, this game got that mythological history all wrong. I present to you, the TRUE Thor, as well as Baldur, Heimdal, Freyer and the rest of the Norse Gods :P :P

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts
Being able to re-spec your character for only a small (in-game) fee? I'm at half-mast just thinking about it.
thepwninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#58 thepwninator
Member since 2006 • 8134 Posts

[QUOTE="hywel69"]So far choices of amour come in blue, or alternatively blue. subrosian

I like that picture, subrosian, and I also agree wholeheartedly. For a long time, I heard this game derided as a "crappy DMC/GoW clone", yet it is anything but...

In general, on System Wars, people don't know much about the stuff they supposedly dislike. For example, earlier in my life-cycle here, I was an ardent critic of the Final Fantasy series and JRPGs in general, in spite of the fact that I had never played them before. When I actually played a JRPG for the first time, I enjoyed it significantly. I think the same will occur for this game; people will bash it wholeheartedly until it actually comes out, at which point people will very much enjoy the experience provided by it.

killab2oo5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 killab2oo5
Member since 2005 • 13621 Posts

-Holds heart- What is this warm fuzzy feeling?:cry:It burns!!!

Avatar image for ReverseCycology
ReverseCycology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 ReverseCycology
Member since 2006 • 9717 Posts

I hope there's a feature where you can share the look of your unique armor or maybe have something like Bungie.net that shows your character. I'm ready for some looting. I've already seen up to 10 or more different armor types and most of them looks awesome. This game rocks.

dkhw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#61 dkhw
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts
[QUOTE="dkhw"][QUOTE="subrosian"]

[QUOTE="hywel69"]I wish they'd make the characters and armour look more diverse. As is you can play as this dude "Baldur, or you can play as "Baldur". So far choices of amour come in blue, or alternatively blue. Looking forward to game, but I think they've made some real dumb choices.subrosian

It seems to me you have not done much research on this game - you may wish to take a look again, as Too Human has more character customization than you'd think was possible. Every armor can be customized to different colors, and there are thousands of armor combinations to choose from.

Armor comes in every color of the rainbow, with sty1es ranging from slim & fitted all the way to ridiculous amounts of plating, spikes, and ornate details.

I agree. The art design of weapons and armors are one of the best I've seen in a RPG game. It's that animations that get to me though. It's so painfully awkward...

Also, 20 -30 hours doesn't seem a lot for a RPG. I guess co-op makes up for that...but maybe instead of a Trilogy, two games would have been better.

It's not a typical RPG though, where that "hundreds of hours of content" is hundreds of hours of "My _________ is _________ gather X of Y items at Z locations and kill X of Y monsters at Z locations!" This is seamless cinematic storytelling combined with fast-paced action.

The replay value here is insanely high, but when you consider we're paying for quality (GeoW, Cod4, GTA IV) in getting that 10 ~ 30 hours, and not quantity, I'd say it's a fair amount of unique content - and I'm sure I'll likely get hundreds of hours out of the game in multi. I don't like including that number though, because while some people will play a game like Halo 3 or Call of Duty 4 for a couple hundred hours - otherws will only do the single player - if that's all you are doing in Too Human, doing just one run through, expect a twenty hour experience. If you're doing what you'd do in an MMO, exploring, teaming up with people, etc - forget it, the number is easily much higher - but again, I like to say twenty when I describe it, because that's a minimum.

-

The animations in the game are fantastic if you've seen high-def, high-speed film coverage of the latest game builds (I'm having trouble finding this online, unfortunately). Most of the streaming videos are at a much lower resolution and framerate, it doesn't do the game justice. Nor are we dealing with a final build - the game doesn't come out until August 17th - for example, Lost Odyssey went from 2 minute load times to 10 second load times in a period of a few weeks - these are things that come together at the end, not beginning, of a game.

As of co-op show time, Too Human is running at 30fps, I don't think they'll hit 60, but a steady 30 is not at all what we were seeing in 2007 when that complaint was addressed.

I wasn't thinking along the lines of Oblivion, but more along FF or LO (which I got 50 hours from). LO didn't make you grind for hours or make you do some useless thing all the time, but managed a great length. I think that was what I was getting at. It's true that I will probable get additional 20 or so hours from online, but a lack of co-op larger than 2 will be the biggest detractor from the game. A nice pvp action would have been nice.

Also, framerates and animations are different, arent they? Animations seem more difficult to fix this late in the development.

silentobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 silentobi
Member since 2006 • 1495 Posts

This game is going to be somthing special. The amount stuff they have in this game huge. The haters can hate all they want, I'll be playing this epic piece. Demo in July hopefully. :D

Big_Boss465

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Big_Boss465
Member since 2007 • 834 Posts
I'm definitely picking this up, the story fascinates me and the gameplay elements are becoming more and more appealing to me. I can't wait to play co-op with friends, looks promising.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#64 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

Im diggin the story, the rpg elements, but above all else Silicon Knights made an amazing experience in Eternal Darkness.....i think this game will be the sleeper hit this year. A good 8.5

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 subrosian

Also, framerates and animations are different, arent they? Animations seem more difficult to fix this late in the development.dkhw

Yes animation and framerate are different things, but early in development you do not always have complete animation. For example, you might have a walking animation, and an attacking animation, and no transition animation - you simply blend on into another and this can look quite rough. Later in development your art team may get a "drawing weapons" animation to act as the transition, or such.

So, even animations can be improved even late in the development cycle, it's just an issue of time and budget - something Silicon Knights has both of - I'm not too worried. If they pull a steady 30 fps, and have all of the animation for the core clas ses in the game (which they've done) it should be fine.

-

Later on in the game's life, a few new clas ses are going to be introduced, so it's good people have seen the "rough" Too Human from 2007 so they can see the time investment that goes into getting character models, animation, facial details, and the like that are up to what people expect. I've certainly enjoyed seeing it, because sometimes you see expansion packs and wonder "why does it cost $10 to get these two new clas ses?" and then you see the amount of graphics and video work that goes into just creating one of those and it's more apparent.

D3monchicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 D3monchicken
Member since 2005 • 1270 Posts

[QUOTE="PBSnipes"]Is it just me or are there less haters every time a new Too Human video is released? :Dironcreed

I think you are right, actually, lol. I am sure there are more than a few lurking though. Some of which are probably thinking to themselves, "hmm, perhaps there is something worthy to be had here afterall."

It's not good to assume things. I could be classified as a "hater" of this game just because I dislike what I have seen and vocalize my dislike, but I have never ever ever ever thought that quote. EVER. And I doubt any others have either after seeing those gameplay vids.

StealthSting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 StealthSting
Member since 2006 • 6915 Posts

It's too bad however, this game got that mythological history all wrong. I present to you, the TRUE Thor, as well as Baldur, Heimdal, Freyer and the rest of the Norse Gods :P :P

AdobeArtist

(raises right eyebrow) I knew it! It was a masquerade all along!... SK would have us beguiled, those fools!

ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#68 ironcreed
Member since 2005 • 14195 Posts
[QUOTE="ironcreed"]

[QUOTE="PBSnipes"]Is it just me or are there less haters every time a new Too Human video is released? :DD3monchicken

I think you are right, actually, lol. I am sure there are more than a few lurking though. Some of which are probably thinking to themselves, "hmm, perhaps there is something worthy to be had here afterall."

It's not good to assume things. I could be classified as a "hater" of this game just because I dislike what I have seen and vocalize my dislike, but I have never ever ever ever thought that quote. EVER. And I doubt any others have either after seeing those gameplay vids.

I think you could take your own advice with that statement of yours. You tell me, "not to assume things", and then go on to state that no one else has changed their minds for the good regarding this game lately just because you haven't?. Don't speak for everybody please. Good day.

AvIdGaMeR444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 AvIdGaMeR444
Member since 2004 • 7031 Posts
I'm sure when I rent Too Human, I'll have a sense of wonder as well. It will be the wonderment of why the heck such a mediocre title took so long to develop and the wonderment of what happened to Silicon Knights as developers. That will be my sense of wonder.
Always-Honest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Always-Honest
Member since 2007 • 11261 Posts
that guy with the kermit voice needs a vacation bad...
Acemaster27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Acemaster27
Member since 2004 • 4482 Posts
I, as a total sheep, have been saying for the past year that this was going to be an amazing game.
SMR-Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#72 SMR-Venom
Member since 2007 • 6500 Posts

Hmm, it looks intrigueing. Nice blend of technology and mythology. I want a lengthy single player for this :)

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

I'm sure when I rent Too Human, I'll have a sense of wonder as well. It will be the wonderment of why the heck such a mediocre title took so long to develop and the wonderment of what happened to Silicon Knights as developers. That will be my sense of wonder. AvIdGaMeR444

Now now, no need for any jealousy that X360 is getting yet another quality title to it's already robust library :)

dkhw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#74 dkhw
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts

[QUOTE="dkhw"]Also, framerates and animations are different, arent they? Animations seem more difficult to fix this late in the development.subrosian

Yes animation and framerate are different things, but early in development you do not always have complete animation. For example, you might have a walking animation, and an attacking animation, and no transition animation - you simply blend on into another and this can look quite rough. Later in development your art team may get a "drawing weapons" animation to act as the transition, or such.

So, even animations can be improved even late in the development cycle, it's just an issue of time and budget - something Silicon Knights has both of - I'm not too worried. If they pull a steady 30 fps, and have all of the animation for the core clas ses in the game (which they've done) it should be fine.

-

Later on in the game's life, a few new clas ses are going to be introduced, so it's good people have seen the "rough" Too Human from 2007 so they can see the time investment that goes into getting character models, animation, facial details, and the like that are up to what people expect. I've certainly enjoyed seeing it, because sometimes you see expansion packs and wonder "why does it cost $10 to get these two new clas ses?" and then you see the amount of graphics and video work that goes into just creating one of those and it's more apparent.

cool. thanks for the explanation man. Hopefully, everything gets polished up.

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 subrosian

cool. thanks for the explanation man. Hopefully, everything gets polished up.

dkhw

I'm not too worried, they have to put out a demo, and with what Microsoft has spent producing this game, they're not going to let anything slip past the QA.

rolo107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#76 rolo107
Member since 2007 • 5469 Posts
I think you are way off the mark, but whatever.
AvIdGaMeR444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 AvIdGaMeR444
Member since 2004 • 7031 Posts

[QUOTE="AvIdGaMeR444"]I'm sure when I rent Too Human, I'll have a sense of wonder as well. It will be the wonderment of why the heck such a mediocre title took so long to develop and the wonderment of what happened to Silicon Knights as developers. That will be my sense of wonder. AdobeArtist

Now now, no need for any jealousy that X360 is getting yet another quality title to it's already robust library :)

I own a 360 and Wii and have stated this several times in many threads. :|

So, just because I'm not impressed with what I've seen of Too Human, you automatically assumed I didn't own a 360 and was jealous of the game? Wow...