Too Human - Gaming with a Sense of Wonder

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 subrosian
Member since 2005 • 14232 Posts

Dev Diary #3 (Goblin Man Part I)

Co-op Featurette (Goblin Man Part II)

-

Think back to your childhood days - before the Internet, before advanced 3D graphics - before how freely we could roam, or how realistically we could die became the definitions of quality in gaming. There was an era of gaming that held a childish sense of wonder - of being a kid in a candy story, or a theme park. The first moments when games like Ocarina of Time, Final Fantasy VII, Link to the Past, Mario World, Sonic the Hedgehog, and other clas sics crossed our paths, and for a brief moment we were elevated beyond what we thought possible in design, into a new realm.

There's something missing from many modern games - a genuine sense of wonder - the escape where we no longer say "hey, I'm playing a game" and transition into gaming. A precious few games this generation have taped into our humanity - Lost Odyssey's story, GTA IV's openness, perhaps the competitive side of CoD4 - but none have made us the storyteller - none have engaged us in a way that made each moment of gameplay hold the possibilities that a pile of gifts on Christmas morning hold - the giddy anticipation of finding something more tucked underneath it all. One game this generation - Portal, held us under such a spell for three hours of time - but alas, in its passing, I am left wanting more - more design on this level, more engagement, curiosity, and enchantment.

-

Too Human, more than any other game, perhaps more than any other game this year, captures that - captures what it means to enjoy gaming. I look forward to this, as we draw closer, seeing the short films, I find I am instilled with a quiet confidence that this will be a gift to those of us who love gaming. It is unfortunate, as the Goblin Man Part II hints, that we must deal with the doubters - those who hate gaming, and want to believe the present era represents the best possible world - that no older design, that no artifice can hold sway over them.

Ah well - let us rejoice, in August, a time of gaming in an era of wonder returns, will you be joining us, on that magical day?

yellowandmushy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 yellowandmushy
Member since 2006 • 2095 Posts
I'm looking forward to it.
samusarmada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 samusarmada
Member since 2005 • 5816 Posts
I am highly interested in the games very mystical approach to norse mythology, though I havent been keeping up with it in terms of gameplay.
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
Looks cool. I don't think that "sense of wonder" has been lost though. Portal, GTA4, Viva Pinata (don't laugh :P), Dead Rising, the cities of Assassin's Creed and the insanity that is No More Heroes all gave me that feeling.
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

this is the first time I looked into this game and i must say it looks impressive.

Is the single player mode going to be nice...or is it a "multiplayer first and formost" type of game?

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts

this is the first time I looked into this game and i must say it looks impressive.

Is the single player mode going to be nice...or is it a "multiplayer first and formost" type of game?

Shinobishyguy
It's pretty similar to Diablo 2, so you can tackle the campaign on your own or you can hop into co-op and play with a buddy.
ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#7 ironcreed
Member since 2005 • 14195 Posts

" Ah well - let us rejoice, in August, a time of gaming in an era of wonder returns, will you be joining us, on that magical day?"

Here, here, sir. Tis going to be a cruel wait until August indeed. But, all the sweeter once it finally gets here. Too Human is the most underestimated game of this year by far. The perfect blend of action and RPG, and Fantasy and Sci-fi, all wrapped up into one truly epic package.:)

As for the "Goblin Man of Norway" viral marketing campaign goes, it is easily the best and most genius for any game ever. We get to play through the epic tragedy of a lost, technologically advanced civilization that came to ruin through war. And as it were, the Norse myths of old are based on this very lost civilization that time has forgotten, only to be told through what modern man views as old nordic myths and legends of Gods and men.

And then we have this "Goblin Man of Norway" viral marketing campaign that blends into the story via a modern day discovery of a portion of that very lost civilization. Just brilliant stuff. What a hell of a movie this would make as well, aye? I swear, half the people hating on this game, have no clue how epic and deep this story is going to be.

You know, put the game itself aside for a second and ask yourself, just what if their was some sort of ancient, lost technologically advanced civilization that dates back thousands of years before recorded history? A civilization who's tales and memory are preserved today in myths and legends that have been handed down through time, like the story of Atlantis for instance. Something truly fascinating to ponder upon.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Shinobishyguy
[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]

PBSnipes
It's pretty similar to Diablo 2, so you can tackle the campaign on your own or you can hop into co-op and play with a buddy.

will you get alot of playtime out of the campaign?
PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PBSnipes
[QUOTE="PBSnipes"][QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]

Shinobishyguy

I'd guess 20-30 hours per playthrough, and with the different c.lasss and (I assume) multiple endings, you should get at least a couple of playthroughs in.
TMontana1004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 TMontana1004
Member since 2007 • 4537 Posts
The story in Too Human sounds epic. Can't wait.
StealthSting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 StealthSting
Member since 2006 • 6915 Posts

Hmm... I've been exposed to these types of documentaries before. It's not like I'm an unbeliver of things extraordinary that can possibly exist in the world, quite the contrary actually, but there are people out there who rides on the very streams of it for personal gain...

And here I was thinking that Too Human was a representation of the rebirth of a religion in the far future, with philosophical views, translations and outcomes in Norse's many a mythos like the Ragnarok. It can still be according to the documentary, but it seems to be following the exact contrary in time. So they may, after all, be depicting something that happened in the past...

Anyway, like I said before, just as long as they do far more than just a shoehorn of Norse Mythology in the game, my interest may just hold and so far it is.

bphan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 bphan
Member since 2005 • 1666 Posts

Can't wait.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Shinobishyguy
[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="PBSnipes"][QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]

PBSnipes

I'd guess 20-30 hours per playthrough, and with the different c.lasss and (I assume) multiple endings, you should get at least a couple of playthroughs in.

Sold.

I love the juggling combos. Devil may cry was the first thing that came to mind when I saw them :lol:

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PBSnipes
Is it just me or are there less haters every time a new Too Human video is released? :D
ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ironcreed

Is it just me or are there less haters every time a new Too Human video is released? :DPBSnipes

I think you are right, actually, lol. I am sure there are more than a few lurking though. Some of which are probably thinking to themselves, "hmm, perhaps there is something worthy to be had here afterall."

DarthKalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DarthKalo
Member since 2006 • 902 Posts

This game does sound amazing, just for the story alone. That was a great post Subrosian! ;) I'm really looking forward to the right stick attack controls and I hope it is as good as I imagine.

usmcjdk6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 usmcjdk6
Member since 2007 • 1240 Posts
This game is going to be like MGS4, honestly. It's gameplay is going to be extremely mediocre, but it's presentation will be superb.
usmcjdk6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 usmcjdk6
Member since 2007 • 1240 Posts

I'm going out on a limb and saying this game is going to be the exact opposite of Hellgate London. Hellgate's gameplay was awesome, but the story so painfully repetitive I couldn't bare to play through the missions twice. Too Human will offer us average gameplay and an awesome story.

numba1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 numba1234
Member since 2007 • 3561 Posts
[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]

PBSnipes

Similar in that you could play with 8 players..
numba1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 numba1234
This game is going to be like MGS4, honestly. It's gameplay is going to be extremely mediocre, but it's presentation will be superb.usmcjdk6
mgs4 gameplay looks amazing, unlike this game.
thepwninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 thepwninator
Member since 2006 • 8134 Posts

I'm going out on a limb and saying this game is going to be the exact opposite of Hellgate London. Hellgate's gameplay was awesome, but the story so painfully repetitive I couldn't bare to play through the missions twice. Too Human will offer us average gameplay and an awesome story.

usmcjdk6

Well-Diablo's gameplay was mediocre at best...I mean, really, who thought the combat system was particularly engaging? It was teh phat lewtz that kept people coming back, and Too Human'll have that. At the same time, it'll have something that the Diablo series lacked entirely-an amazing story. Sure, Diablo's story was nothing to sneeze at, but it was not of the same caliber of that of Starcraft or Warcraft 3.

numba1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 numba1234

usmcjdk6
Yea, having a myth story set in the year 3000 is a real oscar winner.
DarthKalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DarthKalo
[QUOTE="usmcjdk6"]This game is going to be like MGS4, honestly. It's gameplay is going to be extremely mediocre, but it's presentation will be superb.numba1234

I would like to see you explain that in more detail please.
numba1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 numba1234
[QUOTE="usmcjdk6"]

thepwninator

Well-Diablo's gameplay was mediocre at best...I mean, really, who thought the combat system was particularly engaging? It was teh phat lewtz that kept people coming back, and Too Human'll have that. At the same time, it'll have something that the Diablo series lacked entirely-an amazing story. Sure, Diablo's story was nothing to sneeze at, but it was not of the same caliber of that of Starcraft or Warcraft 3.

Diablo gameplay is simple yet amazing. All the stuff you could do, all the different characters. It was one of the best action games ever made.
ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ironcreed

usmcjdk6

Sounds like the making of a great hunter/gatherer RPG to me. I personally think the gameplay looks extremely innovative though. The melee being mapped to the right analog stick is just scaring people away before they even have a chance to play it. It will allow for rotation to mimmick swinging and as you level up, and utilize the plethora of different weapons there will be to choose from, it is supposed to allow for all sorts of combos to be created by you....the gamer.

As for the sliding that people are complaining about, just think of how you have a dash move in games like Ninja Gaiden (No, I am not comparing the gameplay to NG either, just using an illustration.) And when you build up your combo meter, you become faster, more powerful and can pull off more and more crazy moves. Furthermore, there will be no button mashing involved whatsoever....think about that.;) The gameplay is a hell of a lot deeper and more refined than people are giving it credit for.

numba1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 numba1234
[QUOTE="numba1234"][QUOTE="usmcjdk6"]This game is going to be like MGS4, honestly. It's gameplay is going to be extremely mediocre, but it's presentation will be superb.DarthKalo

You don't like stealth games, because MGS isn't a crappy game. It is really fun to play especially MGS2, and 1. I don't care to argue, because simple fact Metal Gear solid has amazing gameplay. It had the best bosses in a game period.
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
Another great subrosian thread. I'm not too sure about Too Human to be completely honest, as a lot of gameplay videos i've seen haven't showed off anything which made me think "wow", but i'm hoping it's simply because i'm not the one playing.
DarthKalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DarthKalo
[QUOTE="thepwninator"][QUOTE="usmcjdk6"]

numba1234

Diablo gameplay is simple yet amazing. All the stuff you could do, all the different characters. It was one of the best action games ever made.

So what sets it apart from Too Human?
Immortal_Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Immortal_Evil
Member since 2007 • 2004 Posts
Wow very clever compaigning, reminds me of the halo 3 commercials. This game is looking to be a cracker.
yellowandmushy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 yellowandmushy
Member since 2006 • 2095 Posts
[QUOTE="DarthKalo"][QUOTE="numba1234"][QUOTE="usmcjdk6"]This game is going to be like MGS4, honestly. It's gameplay is going to be extremely mediocre, but it's presentation will be superb.numba1234

You don't like stealth games, because MGS isn't a crappy game. It is really fun to play especially MGS2, and 1. I don't care to argue, because simple fact Metal Gear solid has amazing gameplay. It had the best bosses in a game period.

I think the gameplay in MGS is great, but how can you say the gameplay is mediocre without playing it?
subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 subrosian

" Ah well - let us rejoice, in August, a time of gaming in an era of wonder returns, will you be joining us, on that magical day?"

Here, here, sir. Tis going to be a cruel wait until August indeed. But, all the sweeter once it finally gets here. Too Human is the most underestimated game of this year by far. The perfect blend of action and RPG, and Fantasy and Sci-fi, all wrapped up into one truly epic package.:)

As for the "Goblin Man of Norway" viral marketing campaign goes, it is easily the best and most genius for any game ever. We get to play through the epic tragedy of a lost, technologically advanced civilization that came to ruin through war. And as it were, the Norse myths of old are based on this very lost civilization that time has forgotten, only to be told through what modern man views as old nordic myths and legends of Gods and men.

And then we have this "Goblin Man of Norway" viral marketing campaign that blends into the story via a modern day discovery of a portion of that very lost civilization. Just brilliant stuff. What a hell of a movie this would make as well, aye? I swear, half the people hating on this game, have no clue how epic and deep this story is going to be.

You know, put the game itself aside for a second and ask yourself, just what if their was some sort of ancient, lost technologically advanced civilization that dates back thousands of years before recorded history? A civilization who's tales and memory are preserved today in myths and legends that have been handed down through time, like the story of Atlantis for instance. Something truly fascinating to ponder upon.

ironcreed

One of the inevitable truths of Norse mythology is that all of the gods know they are doomed - they are all fated to die in a battle at the end of the world. Baldur knows this - they all know it - and yet they fight. There's something deep there, but what matters here is that we are given so much flexibility in how we address death - for Baldur, and for the player, it's not so much the stop at the end as the long, blood & oil streaked blaze of glory they go out in.

The main campaign is 20 ~ 30 hours, Dyack recommends playing it solo first to get a feel for it, as the cinematics are shown in the solo campaign, and it provides an opportunity to bulid your character (and skill) for what comes in co-op. Once the main game is complete, then additional content unfolds in the co-op and additional run throughs, with the areas now adapting to pull out all the stops against your more god-like character.

Inbetween Too Human and the sequel (remember, Too Human is a triology, each game containing 20 ~ 30 hours of the story, plus its fair amount of replay time for those who wish to play with friends) some additional clas ses will be made available for download as they are developed. The hybrid clas ses are being geared towards the co-op and high-level game, Dyack says one of the hybrid clas ses in testing is his favorite, but we won't get to see it for a few months.

-

I'm personally really looking forward to the start of the whole process - knowing that when Too Human drops, the only real time there needs to be a break in the experience is when the next big batch of content is released.

The story in Too Human sounds epic. Can't wait.TMontana1004

Absolutely nuts - the story is large enough to span 60 ~ 90 hours of game time on its own, and has been broken across three games - of course, the design of the game is such that there's "always something more to explore" - so I imagine seeing every possible nuanced personal version of the game would take, well, quite too much time.

StealthSting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 StealthSting
Member since 2006 • 6915 Posts

Yea, having a myth story set in the year 3000 is a real oscar winner.
numba1234

If you were to talk about a novel, I may have agreed... but from a movie point of view? It may not be oscar material, but then again, I would be hard pressed to even name a decent science fiction story told in cinema in the last decade or so... ok, maybe that was an exaggeration, but the point still stands.

And apparently you should probably put 3000 at some point earlier in the Cenzoic era... which leads us into another thing. If they were to follow this direction, the use of Sapiens... Then again, that may just be too much nitpicking :lol: .

Schnauzerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Schnauzerz
Member since 2007 • 1437 Posts
The game looks average. The co-op looks extraordinarily out of place and dumb. I havent played it yet so ill withhold most judgment
MadCat09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MadCat09
Member since 2004 • 739 Posts

I'm looking forward to it.yellowandmushy

Me too, I've been waiting for this game for a long time.

velocity99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 velocity99
Member since 2005 • 480 Posts
Too human looks cool, but i would never play it single player. Let's just hope it doesn't turn out to be a hellgate london in norse mythology setting.
numba1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 numba1234
[QUOTE="numba1234"][QUOTE="thepwninator"][QUOTE="usmcjdk6"]

DarthKalo

So what sets it apart from Too Human?

Well first of all the gameplay in Diablo 2 was point and click, instead of "flick joystiq like a mad man", and then have a target system to shoot your gun at. They are put it this simple two completely different game st yles. Comparing diablo 2 to too human is plain out simiilar as comparing baulders gate to diablo series (been done alot).
subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 subrosian

Too human looks cool, but i would never play it single player. Let's just hope it doesn't turn out to be a hellgate london in norse mythology setting.velocity99

That would be impossible - Hellgate London was so bad that charcters spouted off random voiced bits while the text said something entirely different. Hellgate London was so bad that you could hold down the trigger with the right dual-wield and walk through the game without ever getting hit by anything other than bosses.

[QUOTE="usmcjdk6"]

ironcreed

Sounds like the making of a great hunter/gatherer RPG to me. I personally think the gameplay looks extremely innovative though. The melee being mapped to the right analog stick is just scaring people away before they even have a chance to play it. It will allow for rotation to mimmick swinging and as you level up, and utilize the plethora of different weapons there will be to choose from, it is supposed to allow for all sorts of combos to be created by you....the gamer.

As for the sliding that people are complaining about, just think of how you have a dash move in games like Ninja Gaiden (No, I am not comparing the gameplay to NG either, just using an illustration.) And when you build up your combo meter, you become faster, more powerful and can pull off more and more crazy moves. Furthermore, there will be no button mashing involved whatsoever....think about that.;) The gameplay is a hell of a lot deeper and more refined than people are giving it credit for.

The sliding is something that exists primarily with the Berserker clas s - if it's not something you're interested in, there are four other clas ses to choose from at the start of the game. It's a bit like faulting Diablo 2, because you don't want to play as a Barbarian - then, by all means, spec something else.

ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ironcreed

[QUOTE="velocity99"]Too human looks cool, but i would never play it single player. Let's just hope it doesn't turn out to be a hellgate london in norse mythology setting.subrosian

That would be impossible - Hellgate London was so bad that charcters spouted off random voiced bits while the text said something entirely different. Hellgate London was so bad that you could hold down the trigger with the right dual-wield and walk through the game without ever getting hit by anything other than bosses.

[QUOTE="usmcjdk6"]

ironcreed

The sliding is something that exists primarily with the Berserker clas s - if it's not something you're interested in, there are four other clas ses to choose from at the start of the game. It's a bit like faulting Diablo 2, because you don't want to play as a Barbarian - then, by all means, spec something else.

Indeed. I actually think I am going to go the more balanced route of The Champion first just to get a feel for the game. Then I may go with Bezerker or Defender next....not sure. One thing I want to do though is play through and level up a character in each class to see which one suits me best to continue through the rest of the trilogy with.

Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts
For some reason I think this game is going to turn out really crappy. I have my hopes though.
ToScA-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ToScA-
Member since 2006 • 5782 Posts

ironcreed

Oh yes, I was quite impressed.

hywel69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 hywel69
Member since 2002 • 1086 Posts
I wish they'd make the characters and armour look more diverse. As is you can play as this dude "Baldur, or you can play as "Baldur". So far choices of amour come in blue, or alternatively blue. Looking forward to game, but I think they've made some real dumb choices.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#43 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts
[QUOTE="DarthKalo"][QUOTE="numba1234"][QUOTE="usmcjdk6"]This game is going to be like MGS4, honestly. It's gameplay is going to be extremely mediocre, but it's presentation will be superb.numba1234

MGS 1 did have amazing boss fights, but i think Metroid has a right at the claim for best boss fights.

I think its a toss up between the metroid franchise and metal gear solid for best boss fights.
Always-Honest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Always-Honest
Member since 2007 • 11261 Posts
too clunky
Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

still not impressed with the game... i dont think it will be a bad game, but I dont think it will be one of those great AAA titles..

anyway we have to wait till its released... my friend is hyped up for his game and will surely get it, so will have the opporunity to try the game...

7thSIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 7thSIN
Member since 2002 • 1386 Posts

After watching how hectic the game gets with only 2 players I'm glad they didnt go with 4 player co-op.

hamidious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 hamidious
Member since 2007 • 1537 Posts
The animations of the game characters are really laughable. However, this might turn out to be a good game, doubt it though.
flowdee79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 flowdee79
Member since 2007 • 4483 Posts
Sounds good.
subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 subrosian

I wish they'd make the characters and armour look more diverse. As is you can play as this dude "Baldur, or you can play as "Baldur". So far choices of amour come in blue, or alternatively blue. Looking forward to game, but I think they've made some real dumb choices.hywel69

It seems to me you have not done much research on this game - you may wish to take a look again, as Too Human has more character customization than you'd think was possible. Every armor can be customized to different colors, and there are thousands of armor combinations to choose from.

Armor comes in every color of the rainbow, with sty1es ranging from slim & fitted all the way to ridiculous amounts of plating, spikes, and ornate details.

dkhw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#50 dkhw
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts

[QUOTE="hywel69"]I wish they'd make the characters and armour look more diverse. As is you can play as this dude "Baldur, or you can play as "Baldur". So far choices of amour come in blue, or alternatively blue. Looking forward to game, but I think they've made some real dumb choices.subrosian

It seems to me you have not done much research on this game - you may wish to take a look again, as Too Human has more character customization than you'd think was possible. Every armor can be customized to different colors, and there are thousands of armor combinations to choose from.

Armor comes in every color of the rainbow, with sty1es ranging from slim & fitted all the way to ridiculous amounts of plating, spikes, and ornate details.

I agree. The art design of weapons and armors are one of the best I've seen in a RPG game. It's that animations that get to me though. It's so painfully awkward...

Also, 20 -30 hours doesn't seem a lot for a RPG. I guess co-op makes up for that...but maybe instead of a Trilogy, two games would have been better.