TitanFall Will Be Playable At 4K

• 94 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By danabo
Member since 2003 • 2438 Posts

On A Single Nvidia GTX Titan

Nvidia has released a new video in which its engineers and military personnel traveled to Los Angeles to bring the Respawn Development team GeForce GTX TITANs and NVIDIA SHIELDs. It’s an interesting video but what’s buried in that video is more interesting than the fact that TitanFall will work great with Nvidia’s GPUs.

According to one developer from Respawn, TitanFall is playable – or should we say enjoyable – on a single GTX Titan in 4K.

As the developer claimed:

“So recently we’ve got our 4K monitor here in the studio and I’ve had the great pleasure of playing TitanFall in 4K on a Titan GPU and it’s gorgeous. It was unbelievable. It’s a whole new experience.”

So there you have it everyone. TitanFall – in its current state – runs in 4K on a single Titan card.

TitanFall is currently planned for a March 11th release on PC, Xbox One and X360!

SOURCE

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

That's pretty cool. I'm planning on getting an R9 290, and maybe Titanfall on PC. But no plans for a 4K monitor.

Avatar image for TorqueHappens08
TorqueHappens08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 TorqueHappens08
Member since 2008 • 1363 Posts

TF is going to be so kick ass on PC.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

Then I should be able to play it at 4K @ 60fps+ with ease. Too bad I don't have a 4K monitor :(

1440p at 120fps will do.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

Unless you have a 4k monitor (I don't), this is irrelevant.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts

Native or Upscaled? because the Titan does not seem to have full 4k power tech when looking at the make.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

@farrell2k said:

All this 4k stuff is nonsense.

Jelly, eh? Not surprising.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

@Jakandsigz said:

Native or Upscaled? because the Titan does not seem to have full 4k power tech when looking at the make.

What are you even saying

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts

@Couth_ said:

@Jakandsigz said:

What are you even saying

I am talking the make of the titan. Everything in it, it does not seem powerful enough to put out 4k, when it seems to heat post 1700's+

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

dat source engine

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

@Jakandsigz said:

@Couth_ said:

@Jakandsigz said:

What are you even saying

I am talking the make of the titan. Everything in it, it does not seem powerful enough to put out 4k, when it seems to heat post 1700's+

Dirt 3, 2160p, the Titan achieves 58fps.

It's a very powerful card. I think it can do Bioshock Infinite at 4K. Just checked, yeah it can, on high. 60fps

But obviously as more sophisticated games come out yadda yadda yadda.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 the_bi99man

@farrell2k said:

@the_bi99man said:

@farrell2k said:

Jelly, eh? Not surprising.

I am not 13, so I have no idea what jelly means.

It's what you put on a sandwich, with peanut butter. You seriously didn't know that?

resevl4rlz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By resevl4rlz
Member since 2005 • 3848 Posts

do you even own a 20,000 4k television op

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 the_bi99man

@Jakandsigz said:

@Couth_ said:

@Jakandsigz said:

What are you even saying

Any halfway decent video card could do 4K. It just depends on the game, and how demanding it actually is. Considering Titanfall is using the Source Engine, which is ancient, and famously low-spec, it's not really at all surprising that a top-of-the-line, $1000 video card can crush it at 4K res. The amount of power required to run a game at 4K is going to vary wildly from game to game. Just like the amount of power needed for any other resolution.

g0ddyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By g0ddyX
Member since 2005 • 3914 Posts

Pretty Epic.

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

@farrell2k said:

Yeah,like HD was nonsense before. I bet if all the PS4/X1 games were nunning at 640x480 you wouldn´t be amused. 4k is a massive leap in image quality from what these current new consoles can do,and most likely won´t even be a standard in the next gen of consoles many years from now,if they ever exist that is.

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MrYaotubo

@farrell2k said:

@MrYaotubo said:

@farrell2k said:

Yeah,like HD was nonsense before. I bet if all the PS4/X1 games were nunning at 640x480 you wouldn´t be amused. 4k is a massive leap in image quality from what these current new consoles can do,and most likely won´t even be a standard in the next gen of consoles many years from now,if they ever exist that is.

Consoles can't even do 1080p/60 yet :)

Some games they can but soon enough when actual graphical assets are improved then almost no game will be 1080p/60fps on these consoles,either one or the other or very likely neither lol.

And by this I mean the PS4 because the X1 seems to be dead on arrival on that department.

TheTruthIsREAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheTruthIsREAL
Member since 2013 • 813 Posts

Why would u need 4k for tiny maps

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MrYaotubo

@farrell2k said:
@MrYaotubo said:

@farrell2k said:

@MrYaotubo said:

@farrell2k said:

Some games they can but soon enough when actual graphical assets are improved then almost no game will be 1080p/60fps on these consoles,either one or the other or very likely neither lol.

And by this I mean the PS4 because the X1 seems to be dead on arrival on that department.

Which is why 4k is nonsense. PC gamers don't want to admit it, but consoles drive most game development, with PC being an after thought. Publishers are not going to pay many developers to create assets in native 4k when most of their sales will come from systems that can barely achieve 1080p. We might see games upscaled from 1080p to 4k, but that's nothing to get excited about.

Consoles drive mostof multiplatform development but not even close to all games out there,PC is the major platform for most games being released overall as we all know and right now we´re already seeing multiplatform games being optimised for 4k on the PC and we´re still in early days for that res,give it a couple of years and it will be the norm on most PC games,exclusive or multiplatform,just like HD has been around on the PC for over a decade and still to this day most console games can´t do it still. When you have huge AAA PC games like for instance Star Citizen coming up,you know where tihs whole thing is going.

No upscaling whatsoever.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@TheTruthIsREAL said:

what does the resolution have to do with the map size?

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 the_bi99man

@farrell2k said:
@MrYaotubo said:

@farrell2k said:

@MrYaotubo said:

@farrell2k said:

Which is why 4k is nonsense. PC gamers don't want to admit it, but consoles drive most game development, with PC being an after thought. Publishers are not going to pay many developers to create assets in native 4k when most of their sales will come from systems that can barely achieve 1080p. We might see games upscaled from 1080p to 4k, but that's nothing to get excited about.

Devs don't need to create new assets for 4K. Just leave the resolution unlocked, and let players with 4K monitors set it to 4K. For some games, with lower-res textures, that might be overkill, but most games already have high-res enough textures that 1080p doesn't reveal full detail. And textures are already in crazy huge resolutions during the development process, and then compressed down to sizes that the target hardware can handle. All devs have to do to make a game get a huge visual boost by going to 4K is leave the uncompressed textures there, as a graphics option, and leave the resolution unlocked. Done and done. With those two simple steps (which might even be less work for the devs), those with powerful enough hardware get to play in 4K, and the games look way better as a result.

The_Stand_In

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 The_Stand_In
Member since 2010 • 1179 Posts

It's a Source game for God's sake. Why are people so surprised a Titan can run it at 4k?

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

PC version superior confirmed.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@lostrib said:

@TheTruthIsREAL said:

what does the resolution have to do with the map size?

peasants need something to latch on to and bash

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts

@psymon100 said:

That's pretty cool. I'm planning on getting an R9 290, and maybe Titanfall on PC. But no plans for a 4K monitor.

Downsample like the rest of us cool kids.

@The_Stand_In said:

It's a Source game for God's sake. Why are people so surprised a Titan can run it at 4k?

"As I've written code and created maps for Source, I'd like to clarify exactly why this is.

Most of the level geometry in Source is made out of brushes, which are for the most part are cuboids, but can generally form any shape (although it's not recommended). At the bare minimum, the level must be an enclosed box made of 6 brushes.When maps are compiled, the game level is divided into boxes of playable space called "leafs" (this is because they are leafs of a binary space partition tree) in such a way that information about the visiblity of other leafs (i.e. where in the game world can I see from my current position) can be pre-computed for every leaf in the level. This means that when the camera is inside one area in the level, it already knows which geometry is occluded and does not have to perform potentially expensive calculations every frame.

All the static lighting in the level is also pre-computed, using a radiosity based method (indeed, there is very little dynamic lighting in Source as a result). This is why Source scales really well to machines with lower specs because much of the computational burden is shifted to the map compiler. Furthermore, all of the game code in Source is written in C++ and it does not use scripting (although Squirrel is utilised to a small degree in games since Left 4 Dead), which means the game code is generally more performant than those that do. I don't know if other engines compile their scripts into binaries or not though, so this may be a moot point.

There are certainly disadvantages to this approach however - prominently, increased memory usage, highly static map geometry/lighting and long compile times for complex maps. Another disadvantage is that it does not work well in open levels. This is because the number of visible leafs is massively increased in open spaces, hurting frame rate. So I suspect Respawn might have had to make some major changes here (and this might impinge on the "can run on a toaster" quality of Source that people like to espouse).

Valve notably shifted away from this approach in Dota 2 and Alien Swarm, but I suspect that's more because the cameras in this game are incompatible with the visibility calculations. They also started using dynamic global illumination in Dota 2, which might be a feature to expect in future versions of Source...

I'd also like to quash the notion that Source is somehow an inferior engine in terms of graphical quality. The graphical quality of a game in this age is determined by the artistry and complexity of the world, not by the engine it's running on. It may be less dynamic than other engines, but static lighting generally looks much nicer than dynamic lighting."

jman1553

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jman1553
Member since 2009 • 1332 Posts

@farrell2k said:

I'm guessing you've never seen a 4k screen before.

It's as big a leap from SD to HD. Honest to god, it's incredible.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts

@jman1553 said:

@farrell2k said:

I'm guessing you've never seen a 4k screen before.

It's as big a leap from SD to HD. Honest to god, it's incredible.

Yes, it is.

But don't tell the poors that. They just finally got 1080p and don't want to be made to feel self-conscious already.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

I have no plans to get either a 4k monitor or TV in the foreseeable future,.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

got MS and Nvidia bankrolling this, they'll be Taco Bell and Geico ads on this thing before it launches

Bruin1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Bruin1986
Member since 2007 • 1629 Posts

@farrell2k said:

@MrYaotubo said:

@farrell2k said:

Except, of course, for the console games that are 1080p/60fps

The other ones can't.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

got MS and Nvidia bankrolling this, they'll be Taco Bell and Geico ads on this thing before it launches

...that doesn't even make sense

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

PC WINNING

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

I don't own and don't plan on owning a 4k TV though so it's irrelevant to me

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

The Titan is a "buzzword" card. The GTX 690 beats it in pretty much every benchmark. And the Titan has 6 gb of GDDR5 vs the 690's 2 gb. (Vram doesn't stack) And 4K only makes sense at large screen sizes. My 27" 2560x1440 monitor will do just fine at that size. But my next next rig will be 4K ready since the TV prices are coming down. Waiting on ddr4 and a gpu upgrade that's worth a damn.

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

@resevl4rlz said:

do you even own a 20,000 4k television op

sony 4k is 7999

Liquid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Liquid_
Member since 2003 • 3832 Posts

wtf is 4k?

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

@Liquid_ said:

wtf is 4k?

http://www.alltimetvs.com/Sharp_AQUOS_70_LED_4K_Ultra_HDTV_-_LC70UD1U_6787.html?refid=Google_pla&gclid=CJDg6vH2pLsCFUpnOgod0FkAJQ

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 the_bi99man

@Liquid_ said:

wtf is 4k?

In case you're serious, it's just a super huge resolution. 3840x2160, which is twice the verical and horizontal size of 1080p (1920x1080), with four times as many total pixels.

Mr-Powers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#44 Mr-Powers
Member since 2013 • 508 Posts

TitanFall Will Be Playable At 4K... By less than 1% of pc gamers, if that. Half of pc gamers have hardware that couldn't play GTA5 at 360 settings.

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By danabo
Member since 2003 • 2438 Posts

@Liquid_ said:

wtf is 4k?

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 the_bi99man

@mr-powers said:

Half of pc gamers have hardware that couldn't play GTA5 at 360 settings.

Oi. This nonsense again. I suppose if I ask you to back up that statement, you'll refer me to a steam hardware survey, which includes millions of people with cheap laptops, who only have a steam account for a small handful of indie games, and would never actually call themselves PC gamers? Believe me, if your sample group were limited to PC gamers who actually call themselves PC gamers, regularly play modern games on their PCs, and frequent gaming forums like this, easily 70%+ have systems that are far more powerful than any console ever made. That's not even all that impressive, anyway. Takes less than $800 to build a system that crushes the PS4 and X1.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Lets release the original doom and see if it runs in 4k........................ The shit runs on Source lol why wouldn't it run in 4k?

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

Wake me up when 4k monitors are 300-400 euros and a single 400-500 gpu can max out every game at a minimum of 30fps.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

But Geoff Keighley said Titanfall was an Xbox One exclusive???? I'm confused now.