TitanFall, Destiny, The Division: What's so special?

• 148 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

So these are three games that debuted at E3, and have since gained notoriety in terms of the sheer hype they have been getting (more from the media than actual gamers), but am I the only one who feels completely unaffected by these games or their hype? Like, I flat out don't seem to care about any of them. They look like regular, existing shooters, except with a new paint of polish for that next gen sheen, and an always online requirement. Just why are these games getting so much hype?

I mean, if you want to just talk about E3, there were much better games that were shown off, like The Witcher 3, Dragon Age Inquisition, inFamous: Second Son, Super Smash Bros. Hell, if you wanted to talk about shooters, E3 had Killzone and it had Battlefield 4. Xbox owners, E3 also had a new Halo. Why are these games getting so much hype, and being heralded as the second coming of Jesus, the next step in gaming evolution, and a quantum revolution? What exactly is so special? Is it the developer pedigree? Because I'm just not seeing it, sorry.

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

Yeah, I agree, while all look like solid shooters, I too don't see anything special. I may give TitanFall a try eventually if I get in some MP mood, but Destiny and The Division don't interest me much. The Division had some great visuals, but that's it, and even then, good chance they'll get downgraded, Ubisoft tends to do that with their E3 demoes.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
None of them is on your precious WiiU. Deal with it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
None of them is on your precious WiiU. Deal with it.silversix_
Not like I care, if I want to play any of these games, I'll get them on PS4 :) Now stop going off topic like the little obsessed Nintendo troll you are, and try to answer the question. If you cannot contribute constructively to the conversation, feel free to leave the thread.
Raziel831991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Raziel831991
Member since 2013 • 631 Posts

Nothing really, they are being hyped to hell because they are mainstream shooters. Shooters attract the masses because its a genere thats very easy to get into. Thats why mainstream shooters will always be extremly popular, no matter how generic or terrible they might be.

shinko28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 shinko28
Member since 2013 • 140 Posts
Titan fall is special because it gives the xb1 the power of like 12000 xb1 shooting down from the clouds. Which is like the power of 8000 suns
Nightflash28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Nightflash28
Member since 2004 • 2351 Posts
The Division gets a lot of attention because it's not "just" a shooter, it's an MMORPG. And an MMO with such kind of gameplay mechanics... count me in.
Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

It happens every generation, hype needs to be generated somehow. By far the most popular genre of game this generation have been shooters, if they were going to hype any type of game for the next gen it was always going to be shooters. 

Its also still possible that these shooters can pull something new an innovative out of the bag, seems to me like titanfall and sunset overdrive are trying some new and interesting things in a genre thats famous for being stale and stagnant.

shinko28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 shinko28

It happens every generation, hype needs to be generated somehow. By far the most popular genre of game this generation have been shooters, if they were going to hype any type of game for the next gen it was always going to be shooters. 

Its also still possible that these shooters can pull something new an innovative out of the bag, seems to me like titanfall and sunset overdrive are trying some new and interesting things in a genre thats famous for being stale and stagnant.

always_explicit
whats new that titan fall is bringing? because it looks like COD with mechs. Please dont get me wrong, Titan fall looks like lots of fun, but looks like the same type of fun i get from COD. now BF4 on the other hand with skyscrapers crashing down is something new
AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

They're original new IP's and not just another Zelda or Mario title to pile up on those rosters ;)

Avatar image for Obviously_Right
Obviously_Right

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Obviously_Right
Member since 2011 • 5331 Posts

The Division > Destiny > TitanFall

shinko28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 shinko28

Obviously_Right
sad, but true
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 23031 Posts
New IP immediately receives more hype from me than sequels ever will....

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

They're original new IP's and not just another Zelda or Mario title to pile up on those rosters ;)

AdobeArtist

New IPs they may be, but I am struggling to see anything 'new' about them at all. They seem to be the exact same thing as the shooters we got this generation, just slightly bigger and potentially bigger, and with an always online connectivity requirement to boot.

I fail to see what Mario, Zelda, the Wii U, or anything Nintendo has to do with this discussion. Nintendo and its console or IPs were not raised in the OP at all (except to mention SSB as a game that was shown off at E3). Nintendo is not getting these games. Nintendo is not a part of this discussion. It almost feels like people are trying to distract from the point that there is absolutely nothing special about the three games raised in the OP, that there is no substance backing all that hype, by somehow trying to divert attention to Nintendo.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
New IP immediately receives more hype from me than sequels ever will....TheEroica
Which is great, but there are other new IPs to look at E3 that were much better than these three games! Look at The Witness, for example. Or Knack. Look at The Order. Look at Watch Dogs. All of these are new IPs that are actually 'new,' they actually feature some new gameplay advancement or evolution that existing games do not. TitanFall, Destiny, and The Division? The exact same thing we always get, just with a graphical veneer, that's it. They're neither new nor next gen, which is why the hype for them baffles me so much.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#16 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

These games are nothing special.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AdobeArtist  Moderator

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

charizard1605

New IPS they may be, but I am struggling to see anything 'new' about them at all. They seem to be the exact same thing as the shooters we got this generation, just slightly bigger and potentially bigger, and with an always online connectivity requirement to boot. I fail to see what Mario, Zelda, the Wii U, or anything Nintendo has to do with this discussion. Nintendo and its console or IPs were not raised in the OP at all (except to mention SSB as a game that was shown off at E3). Nintendo is not getting these games. Nintendo is not a part of this discussion. It almost feels like people are trying to distract from the point that there is absolutely nothing special about the three games raised in the OP, that there is no substance backing all that hype, by somehow trying to divert attention to Nintendo.

I guess I wonder why you get excited about new releases of Nintendo IP's when they're just itrations of older releases (Zelda, Mario). At least with these games, even if being newer generations of familiar genres, they're still offering new settings and lore, which offers more potential for a different experience.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AdobeArtist  Moderator

Obviously_Right

Destiny > The Division > Titanfall

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26652 Posts
The Division looks awesome. Destiny and Titanfall? Meh.
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TheEroica  Moderator
[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

charizard1605
New IPS they may be, but I am struggling to see anything 'new' about them at all. They seem to be the exact same thing as the shooters we got this generation, just slightly bigger and potentially bigger, and with an always online connectivity requirement to boot. I fail to see what Mario, Zelda, the Wii U, or anything Nintendo has to do with this discussion. Nintendo and its console or IPs were not raised in the OP at all (except to mention SSB as a game that was shown off at E3). Nintendo is not getting these games. Nintendo is not a part of this discussion. It almost feels like people are trying to distract from the point that there is absolutely nothing special about the three games raised in the OP, that there is no substance backing all that hype, by somehow trying to divert attention to Nintendo.

I understand what your point is Char... what actualy advancements in gameplay, design etc lead games to new fresh experiences outside of being bigger and prettier... Outside of Destiny, which, to me, looks quite ambitious, they dont... But I'm willing to give them a pass this go around based on the new hardware, new gen haze that usually doesnt start producing the games that define a generation till at least a year into the cycle... Not an excuse, but Im looking at these three games laying the groundwork for what will hopefully be the beginning of a generation of gameplay advancements... What worries me is the AAA trends that will sabatoge varried gameplay experiences to a point where every AAA game plays and feels similar, much like we are experienceing with the end of Gen7...
ManatuBeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ManatuBeard
Member since 2012 • 1121 Posts

I quite like The Division, mostly because its a 3rd person shooter (i have issues with 1st person view), but aside from looking better than current gen and being mmo-ish, there isnt anything really new. Might be fun anyway.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TheEroica  Moderator

[QUOTE="Obviously_Right"]

AdobeArtist

Destiny > The Division > Titanfall

this... and I am very excited to play titanfall
dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dobzilian
Member since 2012 • 3409 Posts
arent those 3 MMOFPS/TPS?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

I guess I wonder why you get excited about new releases of Nintendo IP's when they're just itrations of older releases (Zelda, Mario). At least with these games, even if being newer generations of familiar genres, they're still offering new settings and lore, which offers more potential for a different experience.

AdobeArtist
I get excited for a new installment in a Nintendo IP when it seems to be offering something different, something new. Thus, while you will see me excited for something like a Mario Kart 8, or a Pokemon X, you will not see me excited for, say, Super Mario 3D World. In the case of the former, I am being offered something new. In the case of the latter, I am being offered a barely expanded take on a(n admittedly great) handheld game released less than two years ago. So TitanFall, Destiny, and Division offer new lore and settings? Without actually commenting on how not new and played out the alien invasion/mechs/biological pandemic settings really are, I must raise the question: so what? Video games are about the 'game' part, the interactivity part, or else they would just be glorified, poor man movies. The setting and the story and the lore and what not might be important, sure, but it takes a back seat to the actual game, the interactivity, part. Which is what I have been calling out these three games on: what new things, exactly, are they bringing to the table? How are they in any way possible a meaningful evolution of what has come before? It's the exact same thing, except now in a new setting. A new setting surely means it's an all new game, right? It doesn't matter if it plays identically (as all evidence seems to point to so far). Also, actually, I will take this opportunity to lol at the 'new' settings comment. Neither of these games offer any setting whatsoever that has not already been rehashed beyond the limits of tolerance in other, previous video games so far.
superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts
Personally, I'm looking forward to playing all 3 games...
Nightflash28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 Nightflash28
Member since 2004 • 2351 Posts

[QUOTE="TheEroica"]New IP immediately receives more hype from me than sequels ever will....charizard1605
Which is great, but there are other new IPs to look at E3 that were much better than these three games! Look at The Witness, for example. Or Knack. Look at The Order. Look at Watch Dogs. All of these are new IPs that are actually 'new,' they actually feature some new gameplay advancement or evolution that existing games do not. TitanFall, Destiny, and The Division? The exact same thing we always get, just with a graphical veneer, that's it. They're neither new nor next gen, which is why the hype for them baffles me so much.

I'm not sure if you either haven't really looked into those games, or if you just don't want to see why people are interested in them. At least speaking about "the division", it's an open world MMORPG that plays like a TPS. To me, this is pretty damn cool. 

It's not just the same old shooter with nicer graphics. 

The Witness: we've seen practically no gameplay yet. 

Knack: looks fun, might pick it up, but what's so new about this game that deserves hyping? It's a straight forward action platformer.

The Order: No gameplay, no hype.

Watch Dogs: looks cool, there's plenty of hype for it, but if I was to apply your kind of spin to it, it's just Assasin's Creed mixed with Demons' Souls gameplay wise. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for it and I'll most likely pick it up at launch, but this is practically what you're saying about the other games. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

TheEroica

I understand what your point is Char... what actualy advancements in gameplay, design etc lead games to new fresh experiences outside of being bigger and prettier... Outside of Destiny, which, to me, looks quite ambitious, they dont... But I'm willing to give them a pass this go around based on the new hardware, new gen haze that usually doesnt start producing the games that define a generation till at least a year into the cycle... Not an excuse, but Im looking at these three games laying the groundwork for what will hopefully be the beginning of a generation of gameplay advancements... What worries me is the AAA trends that will sabatoge varried gameplay experiences to a point where every AAA game plays and feels similar, much like we are experienceing with the end of Gen7...

Exactly. My question is what is it that these games are doing 'new.' You want to talk about new IPs, look at Watch Dogs. It's an ambitious AAA IP that not only has a nee setting and new, er, lore, but it also actually has new gameplay mechanics and advancements that are potentially like nothing we have seen in games yet. Even sequels like Witcher 3 and Battlefield 4 are a lot more ambitious with their gameplay than any of these so called new IPs are. My question has to do with the priorities of gamers that seem to be screwed. It seems to me that we are willing to take the exact same thing repackaged over and over again and call it 'new,' while something that is genuinely new and fresh gets ignored because it might be part of an existing franchise. More importantly, it seems to me that we are so enamored by shooting things that new IPs that really deserve our attention, like Watch Dogs and The Witness, get overshadowed. It's rubbish.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="TheEroica"]New IP immediately receives more hype from me than sequels ever will....Nightflash28

I'm not sure if you either haven't really looked into those games, or if you just don't want to see why people are interested in them. At least speaking about "the division", it's an open world MMORPG that plays like a TPS. To me, this is pretty damn cool. 

It's not just the same old shooter with nicer graphics. 

The Witness: we've seen practically no gameplay yet. 

Knack: looks fun, might pick it up, but what's so new about this game that deserves hyping? It's a straight forward action platformer.

The Order: No gameplay, no hype.

Watch Dogs: looks cool, there's plenty of hype for it, but if I was to apply your kind of spin to it, it's just Assasin's Creed mixed with Demons' Souls gameplay wise. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for it and I'll most likely pick it up at launch, but this is practically what you're saying about the other games. 

The Division is a persistently online TPS. Destiny is a persistently online FPS. Titanfall is a persistently online FPS. None of these do anything different than any existing game has so far. I can understand the lack of hype for Witness or The Order. But Knack? Or, and I hate to bring in anything remotely related to Nintendo, because as we have seen so far already, even without me bringing them up once, the thread tends to derail in their direction, Wonderful 101? X? Or how about sequels that seem to be fresh? Witcher? Dragon Age? Final Fantasy? As for Watch Dogs, at least Demons Souls/Assassin's Creed is something that has never been done before.
Raziel831991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Raziel831991
Member since 2013 • 631 Posts

To be honest I think both tps and fps are genres that offer very little room for innovation

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#30 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

Well I think all the driving games shown looked boring and I don't really understand why someone would be excited about them.

But if there were a thousand great reasons to be excited for any of those games, I would be the last person to see any of them, because I'm not the person those games are being made for. So I'm not about to lean back and trivialize people's reasons for wanting to play DriveClub or NFS Rivals as "Huh, these idiots just want to drive cars fast."

MercenaryMafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MercenaryMafia
Member since 2011 • 2917 Posts
I want to play all three. If I had to pick I would say I am most interested in Destiny, but not really hyped yet. I'm anticipating GTA V and Dark Souls 2 more.
Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts
Titanfall is the one I really don't get. Looks so lame....oooh mechs....oooh fps....
pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#33 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

The Division, The Witcher 3, Mirrors Edge 2 and Watchdogs where the only interesting games at E3.

Since 1313 was canned, TW3, Rome 2, Arma III and Mirrors Edge 2 are the most exciting games to come this year.

Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts

Just wait for the next Mario

Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Jonwh18
Member since 2009 • 9350 Posts

no they look boring as ****. Even Destiny. Yes that's right Darklink. Sue me. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Just wait for the next Mario

Blackbond
Or, I don't know, read the full thread. Either would work, really.
pcgamingowns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 pcgamingowns
Member since 2013 • 1223 Posts

crappy iron sight shooters

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
What's so special about Destiny? Bungie. I don't think I've ever played a Bungie game that I didn't love. Marathon, Myth, Halo, these guys can pretty much do no wrong. Titanfall looks interesting, but I'm getting a PS4, so no dice on that for now, and Battlefield is usually my go-to multiplayer game anyway. I haven't paid any attention to The Division, so I'll have to keep my mouth shut on that one.
NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11821 Posts

[QUOTE="TheEroica"]New IP immediately receives more hype from me than sequels ever will....charizard1605

No gameplay was shown for The order, and Knack? Good grief no, it was the most boring thing I've ever seen.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts

So these are three games that debuted at E3, and have since gained notoriety in terms of the sheer hype they have been getting (more from the media than actual gamers), but am I the only one who feels completely unaffected by these games or their hype? Like, I flat out don't seem to care about any of them. They look like regular, existing shooters, except with a new paint of polish for that next gen sheen, and an always online requirement. Just why are these games getting so much hype?

I mean, if you want to just talk about E3, there were much better games that were shown off, like The Witcher 3, Dragon Age Inquisition, inFamous: Second Son, Super Smash Bros. Hell, if you wanted to talk about shooters, E3 had Killzone and it had Battlefield 4. Xbox owners, E3 also had a new Halo. Why are these games getting so much hype, and being heralded as the second coming of Jesus, the next step in gaming evolution, and a quantum revolution? What exactly is so special? Is it the developer pedigree? Because I'm just not seeing it, sorry.

charizard1605
I dunno. They look cool to me. Different strokes.
soapandbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 soapandbubbles
Member since 2010 • 3412 Posts
None of them is on your precious WiiU. Deal with it.silversix_
best sig ever!
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60723 Posts
New IP immediately receives more hype from me than sequels ever will....TheEroica
This and as far as Destiny, it's Bungies new game too, so I'm anxious to see what they have accomplished.
Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#43 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts
The Division gets a lot of attention because it's not "just" a shooter, it's an MMORPG. And an MMO with such kind of gameplay mechanics... count me in. Nightflash28
These games in general are getting attention for the way they appear to be extended online play into durable worlds and communities. They also take the tight scripting found in single-player and are attempting to meld it with the broader appeal of multiplayer gaming. The merging of those types of play seemed like a common theme at E3. Not only the shooters but even the racing games seemed to be doing something similar.
khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#44 khoofia_pika
Member since 2006 • 16761 Posts
No idea. They all looked pretty meh to me.
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#45 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

I'm excited about Destiny because it's being made by Bungie. Don't care about the other two.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#46 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

Division is uber because it's got co-op... Then add some PVP in there and it's going to be epic. Big open world with lots of places to go. Sort of like an apocalypse game.

Destiny has some potential... It's also got co-op with public fights. It could be epic... But repeatability just doesn't look to be there. Also like an apocalypse game.

Titanfall is meh... It's a team based vs game with with AI bots and real players... It isn't going to be epic... Replayability is non-existent. Run of the mill FPS with a touch of mechs.

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts
[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

charizard1605
I get excited for a new installment in a Nintendo IP when it seems to be offering something different, something new. Thus, while you will see me excited for something like a Mario Kart 8, or a Pokemon X, you will not see me excited for, say, Super Mario 3D World. In the case of the former, I am being offered something new. In the case of the latter, I am being offered a barely expanded take on a(n admittedly great) handheld game released less than two years ago. So TitanFall, Destiny, and Division offer new lore and settings? Without actually commenting on how not new and played out the alien invasion/mechs/biological pandemic settings really are, I must raise the question: so what? Video games are about the 'game' part, the interactivity part, or else they would just be glorified, poor man movies. The setting and the story and the lore and what not might be important, sure, but it takes a back seat to the actual game, the interactivity, part. Which is what I have been calling out these three games on: what new things, exactly, are they bringing to the table? How are they in any way possible a meaningful evolution of what has come before? It's the exact same thing, except now in a new setting. A new setting surely means it's an all new game, right? It doesn't matter if it plays identically (as all evidence seems to point to so far). Also, actually, I will take this opportunity to lol at the 'new' settings comment. Neither of these games offer any setting whatsoever that has not already been rehashed beyond the limits of tolerance in other, previous video games so far.

Nintendo hasn't brought in a new gameplay experience since pikmin, they've relied on tried and true gameplay and have different variations of that gameplay. Very few companies make leaps, its an iterative process in developing gameplay.
Far_RockNYC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Far_RockNYC
Member since 2012 • 1244 Posts

Mario what so special....o thats right a cat suit 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Mario what so special....o thats right a cat suit 

Far_RockNYC
Good thing I have been criticizing Mario, in this very thread in fact :)
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Destiny's concept looks really neat. like an actual good Borderlands. Also Bungie are pretty solid

Titanfall looks shit. I don't get it either. Then again I'm not a big mech guy

The Division was visually outstanding but the gameplay looks like any other MMO loot fest and grinding passed dozens of enemies. But DID YOU SEE HIM CLOSE THAT CAR DOOR!!!