This always bothered me about the wii-mote.. it isn't revolutionary

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 too_much_eslim
Member since 2006 • 10727 Posts

I see why they changed the name of the system from the revoltion to the wii because then it just wouldn't be true. If the wii-mote is so revolutionary why does it have so many add ons for the wii mote ie zapper, steering wheel, and I think wii fit.

How come the best way to play fighting games is still with a regular gamecube or classic controller. I mean i hear comparisons with the wii mote and m/k. If it is just as good how come a boat load of RTSs' aren't being made. The motion contol and the pointer is good for some games, but it could also be translated on a regular controller.

So when will Nintendo step forward and push the wii mote abilities forward. In order for them to do that they are going to need to make new franchises that can demonstrate the wii mote potential. I don't know if it is there or not. So I ask seriously has the wi mote really change gaming? I found the controls fustrating when Itried it out.

GundamGuy0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GundamGuy0
Member since 2003 • 10970 Posts

The Wiimote is revolutionary...

Your ideas are wierd.

Corvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Corvin
Member since 2002 • 7266 Posts

True, motion controls are nothing new, heck even Nintendo tried to capitalize on motion controls nearly 2 decades ago with the Power Glove on the NES.

The big "revolution" in the Wii, I believe, is making these motion controls the standard control scheme, not a some extra peripherial or add-on that gets included at some later date. Its standard with the system.

Whether you really find this revolutionary or better than the controls traditionally found in a console is opinion of course, but considering the Wii sales theres obviously a lot of people out there who think its a neat idea.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#4 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26098 Posts

It's going to be revolutionary when the competitor's next gen systems will have Wiimotes of their own.

The PS3 even did that a little already.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#5 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
Some games have been somehwat revolutionary. I would say shooters like MP3 have benefited from the Wii remote, so have niche games like the recent Z&W.

I believe the Wii is more about bringing more people into gaming than it is about the controller though
too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 too_much_eslim

Your ideas are wierd.

GundamGuy0
How? I reallywould like to know. I was excited about it initially, but I haven't seen anything great about the wii mote. SO how is it revolutionary and what games are going to show that.
XenoNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 XenoNinja
Member since 2003 • 5380 Posts

The Wii-mote IS Revolutionary, so please stop.

tbone29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 tbone29
Member since 2004 • 5552 Posts
If you guys are going to tell him it's revolutionary, you could at least back it up.
too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 too_much_eslim

It's going to be revolutionary when the competitor's next gen systems will have Wiimotes of their own.

The PS3 even did that a little already.

Willy105
That is what I fear because I do not find it to change the way I play games. I find it more as a distraction than anything else. Some games the wii mote just isn't good for.
too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 too_much_eslim
If you guys are going to tell him it's revolutionary, you could at least back it up.tbone29
That is all I ask.
GundamGuy0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GundamGuy0
[QUOTE="GundamGuy0"]

Your ideas are wierd.

too_much_eslim

How? I reallywould like to know. I was excited about it initially, but I haven't seen anything great about the wii mote. SO how is it revolutionary and what games are going to show that.

They made it so they could make any number of cheap add-ons. Where before stearing wheels and guns had to have all the worksings inside them. The Wii-more has all that so all they need is a plastic shell.

See that's it's something that's not been done before.... What do we call that?

householdman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 householdman
Member since 2004 • 560 Posts
I think the revolutionary thing about it is that they got it to work so well. If we could just get a little glimpse behind the scenes, the embedded systems designers and the engineers and techies that worked so hard to get this to work as well as it does, I think all arguments will be settled.
too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 too_much_eslim

XenoNinja
How is it? What games show this.
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts

Exactly

One of the reasons I despise hyping it for so long, it just hasn't lived up to itself. Its cool for things like Wii Sports but thats where the line is drawn. Maybe if someone comes out with better technology it'll make a difference? But your never going to beat a good reliable standard configuration at the end of the day.

XenoNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 XenoNinja
[QUOTE="XenoNinja"]

too_much_eslim

Zack & Wiki.

too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 too_much_eslim
[QUOTE="too_much_eslim"][QUOTE="GundamGuy0"]

Your ideas are wierd.

GundamGuy0

They made it so they could make any number of cheap add-ons. Where before stearing wheels and guns had to have all the worksings inside them. The Wii-more has all that so all they need is a plastic shell.

I would rather have a dedicated sterring wheel. I mean the whole purpose of it is to have the immersion of being in a car. Using the wii mote steering wiheel is no different from imagining you was driving as a kid.
GundamGuy0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GundamGuy0

Exactly

One of the reasons I despise hyping it for so long, it just hasn't lived up to itself. Its cool for things like Wii Sports but thats where the line is drawn. Maybe if someone comes out with better technology it'll make a difference? But your never going to beat a good reliable standard configuration at the end of the day.

tomarlyn

Intrestingly enough games are coming out now that are better on the Wii then they would be with a standard controler... Zak and Wiki being on of them.

AIH_PSP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 AIH_PSP
Member since 2005 • 2318 Posts
It isn't. I saw a video for a controler for PS1 that allowed people playing Warhawk (the original PS1 version) to fly by moving the controller around. The accelerometer in it also dtects things with six axes so its just as goos as SIXAXIS/Wii-Mote. Yes. I agree the Wii-Mote IS NOT revolutionary.
too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 too_much_eslim
Was analog on the N64 a revolution? Yes. Go back and play (If you own it) Super Mario 64 on the Nintendo 64. The analog controls are horrible compared to today. "Revolutions" need time to be perfected and the same thing will happen with the Wiimote.sexy_chimp
I still like analog controls. Trying out the wii mote made me like analog controls even more.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 haziqonfire
[QUOTE="too_much_eslim"][QUOTE="XenoNinja"]

XenoNinja

Zack & Wiki.

Z&W isnt really revolutionary, the controls are just made specifically for the Wii. it doesnt feel like it could be played on any other console.
sexy_chimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 sexy_chimp
Member since 2007 • 6457 Posts

[QUOTE="sexy_chimp"]Was analog on the N64 a revolution? Yes. Go back and play (If you own it) Super Mario 64 on the Nintendo 64. The analog controls are horrible compared to today. "Revolutions" need time to be perfected and the same thing will happen with the Wiimote.too_much_eslim
I still like analog controls. Trying out the wii mote made me like analog controls even more.

That wasn't the point.

Analog wasn't perfect when it came out, and neither is the Wiimote. However, analog is now accepted as the standard.

GundamGuy0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GundamGuy0
[QUOTE="GundamGuy0"][QUOTE="too_much_eslim"][QUOTE="GundamGuy0"]

Your ideas are wierd.

too_much_eslim

I would rather have a dedicated sterring wheel. I mean the whole purpose of it is to have the immersion of being in a car. Using the wii mote steering wiheel is no different from imagining you was driving as a kid.

Ok then buy the adaptor and get a dedicated stering wheel. The cost is still grealy reduced to the producer and consumer because all the hardware needed is already in the Wii-remote its self. A dedicated (AKA not as cheap) stearing wheel will be made... just give the 3rd parties some time.

too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 too_much_eslim

XenoNinja

Zack & Wiki.

How what is so great about it besides having an 8.5. I am actuallly interested in that game so what does the wii mote controls push forward that it just couldn't be done on a standard controller.
voxware00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 voxware00
Member since 2004 • 5018 Posts

http://kotaku.com/gaming/gimme/will-wright-wants-next+gen-interactivity-315015.php

next gen consoles are?

Avatar image for REVOLUTIONfreak
REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#26 REVOLUTIONfreak
Member since 2005 • 18418 Posts

I disagree, the remote is revolutionary, it's just the games that aren't. Developers still are either too lazy to utilize the remote to its full potential, or simply don't know how. Games that do effectively utilize the remote are great. IMO though, the revolutionary part of the remote is more of its accessible remote shape rather than the motion sensing... or maybe a combo.

Oh, and the peripherals are a good thing. That's sorta what the whole point of that port on the bottom of the remote is for.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 haziqonfire
[QUOTE="XenoNinja"][QUOTE="too_much_eslim"][QUOTE="XenoNinja"]

too_much_eslim

Zack & Wiki.

How what is so great about it besides having an 8.5. I am actuallly interested in that game so what does the wii mote controls push forward that it just couldn't be done on a standard controller.

it just would not be possible on other consoles. The game is about puzzles that revolve around how you manipulate the Wiimote. What you would do in real life with an object translates to the controller.
GundamGuy0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GundamGuy0

too_much_eslim

Zack & Wiki.

Virtually everything you do in the game you have to perform the motion like you would if you were actually using the tool or interacting with the enviroment. Sure you could accomplish everything with presses of the a button but that removes all the skill and fun from the game.

too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 too_much_eslim
[QUOTE="too_much_eslim"][QUOTE="GundamGuy0"][QUOTE="too_much_eslim"][QUOTE="GundamGuy0"]

Your ideas are wierd.

GundamGuy0

Ok then buy the adaptor and get a dedicated stering wheel. The cost is still grealy reduced to the producer and consumer because all the hardware needed is already in the Wii-remote its self. A dedicated (AKA not as cheap) stearing wheel will be made... just give the 3rd parties some time.

I thought the wii mote was to avoid all of that. Besides you don't need the wheel for the wii mote. I don't even understand why it was made.
XenoNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 XenoNinja

too_much_eslim

Zack & Wiki.

Gamespot said: Zack & Wiki is the sort of weirdly engaging game that, dare we say it, probably could only really be done on the Wii hardware. The Wii-mote gives you something that isn't possible with previous controllers, which is manipulating objects in 3D space. thats revolutionary.

too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 too_much_eslim

Zack & Wiki.

GundamGuy0

Virtually everything you do in the game you have to perform the motion like you would if you were actually using the tool or interacting with the enviroment. Sure you could accomplish everything with presses of the a button but that removes all the skill and fun from the game.

Well if it could still be done on a controller than it is not being revolutionary. It may be better, but you can still have an enjoyable experience without the wii mote.I mean if it is anything like fishing in the Zelda games than I wouldn't have a problem.
tbone29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 tbone29

I'd say it isn't revolutionary really at all. Of course, potentially it could turn out to be something huge, but currently it hasn't shown signs of a "revolution."

It's innovative yes, but not revolutionary. Though it may be a step in the right direction.

GundamGuy0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GundamGuy0
[QUOTE="GundamGuy0"][QUOTE="too_much_eslim"][QUOTE="XenoNinja"]

Zack & Wiki.

too_much_eslim

Well if it could still be done on a controller than it is not being revolutionary. It may be better, but you can still have an enjoyable experience without the wii mote.I mean if it is anything like fishing in the Zelda games than I wouldn't have a problem.

The only thing is, with out the motion controls this game would be about as fun as hitting your head against a wall.

too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 too_much_eslim
[QUOTE="too_much_eslim"]

I would rather have a dedicated sterring wheel. I mean the whole purpose of it is to have the immersion of being in a car. Using the wii mote steering wiheel is no different from imagining you was driving as a kid.GundamGuy0

I thought the wii mote was to avoid all of that. Besides you don't need the wheel for the wii mote. I don't even understand why it was made.

You don't need alot of the peripherals that are made for any console... They are made because they add another level to the gameplay, make things more simulating.

Never the less the Way the Wii has the capabilities to mimic many styles of older peripherals and make it so such features come standard is great...

I doubt we would see RE:UC if we had to buy a light gun to play it. Plus the cost would be higher so fewer copies would be sold...

The Wii-mote makes things that developers at one time had to pay for themselves and made them standard so that they can make many more types of games if they want.

That aspect I like about the wii mote. I hope light gun games are reborn. It would be awesome if the wii got Virtua Cop. I don't know why the wii isn't seeing the new Time Crisis game.
too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 too_much_eslim
[QUOTE="too_much_eslim"][QUOTE="GundamGuy0"][QUOTE="too_much_eslim"][QUOTE="XenoNinja"]

Zack & Wiki.

GundamGuy0

The only thing is, with out the motion controls this game would be about as fun as hitting your head against a wall.

Ok I will have to try it out.
XenoNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 XenoNinja
[QUOTE="too_much_eslim"][QUOTE="GundamGuy0"][QUOTE="too_much_eslim"][QUOTE="XenoNinja"]

Zack & Wiki.

GundamGuy0

Lol.

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts

[QUOTE="sexy_chimp"]Was analog on the N64 a revolution? Yes. Go back and play (If you own it) Super Mario 64 on the Nintendo 64. The analog controls are horrible compared to today. "Revolutions" need time to be perfected and the same thing will happen with the Wiimote.too_much_eslim

Same.

Analogue was a revolution and quite necessary for 3D gaming, the Wiimote shouldn't be put in the same category save a couple of niche genre's. I go back to dual analogue and prefer it in many cases, it just feels right. I have RE4 Wii Edition but went back to my Gamecube save, it dumbed down the gameplay and wasn't worth starting again for. Same great game but motion and waggle wasn't needed.

p3anut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 p3anut
Member since 2005 • 6609 Posts
The wii-mote still hasnt proved itself. But it's only been 11 months since the console came out. The wii still gots maybe 4 more years before the next console will come, Nintendo still has enough time to improve on ideas on the Wii-mote, so im not that worried.
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#40 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
I'd love to see some RTSs on the Wii. It could really work well.
too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 too_much_eslim
I'd love to see some RTSs on the Wii. It could really work well.SolidSnake35
Yeayou would think.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 haziqonfire
[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"]I'd love to see some RTSs on the Wii. It could really work well.too_much_eslim
Yeayou would think.

Isnt Civilization Revolution a RTS?
XenoNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 XenoNinja

I'd love to see some RTSs on the Wii. It could really work well.SolidSnake35

Yeah, the Wii-mote would be perfect for RTS games.

Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#44 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts
It is revolutionary, it just has yet to be executed properly.
agentfred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#45 agentfred
Member since 2003 • 5666 Posts

[QUOTE="too_much_eslim"][QUOTE="SolidSnake35"]I'd love to see some RTSs on the Wii. It could really work well.Haziqonfire
Yeayou would think.

No, it's a 4x, or TBS if you prefer that terminology.

ImError88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ImError88
Member since 2007 • 653 Posts

It is revolutionary, it just has yet to be executed properly. nintendofreak_2

This sounds just like the DS. At first, nothing showed the innovation and revolutionary controls of the DS. Then, games started coming out that were innovative and awesome.

It's just a matter of time, that's all.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 haziqonfire

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"][QUOTE="too_much_eslim"][QUOTE="SolidSnake35"]I'd love to see some RTSs on the Wii. It could really work well.agentfred

Yeayou would think.

TBS? 4X? lol.
tbone29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 tbone29

TBS? 4X? lol.
Haziqonfire

Turn Based Strategy(?), but... what is 4X? :P

agentfred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#49 agentfred
Member since 2003 • 5666 Posts
[QUOTE="agentfred"]

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"][QUOTE="too_much_eslim"][QUOTE="SolidSnake35"]I'd love to see some RTSs on the Wii. It could really work well.Haziqonfire

Yeayou would think.

TBS? 4X? lol.

What do you mean?

Ragashahs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Ragashahs
Member since 2005 • 8785 Posts
it isn't but my reasoning is that the motion controls aren't really different. we replaced moving and analoug stick and button mashing with moveing your hand and quick hand jerk. my example is red steel. when sword fighting all i had to do was wag my hand back and forth i could easily kill the guy same with zelda where just replacing the repetive movement and mashing with stick movement and stick waging