Things you think developers should focus on besides technical graphics next gen?

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11796 Posts

Graphics seem to be whatever devs boast about these days but what about AI, Physics, environment interaction, animation, cinematic camera angles, etc I can't think of many games were physics played a major role in gameplay of games that weren't puzzle games.

Most games just use "physics" as eye candy, I want to be able to play a game where an explosive goes off and pushes everything around it that can potentially kill enemies and the players, this also applies to environment interaction, I'd like to see more non scripted environment interaction, it appears some games are already doing it such as Metro Last light metal and concrete cover can be shot up piece by piece, or in Crysis 3 like seeing MTA trains fall apart after getting hit by a missle and I remember seeing a seen where Prophet took cover behind a tree and you could see stray shots knocking the top off it.

Art Style, developers should put more emphasis on Art style especially indie devs which shockingly lack art styles, considering it's 2012 platformers with 3D graphics isn't too much ask. Infact Nintendo first party and Media Monicule would be good examples of devs who put efforts into art style. Mixing their types of art styles with technical graphics would be amazing and more eye candy pleasing than games aiming for photo realism like ARMA. But I guess Art Style can be affected based on the theme/setting of the game this problem is that art styles aren't that consistent for some games for example like Hard Reset, It looks amazing inside the city but once you move on to the outside world it looks pretty bleh.

Hard-Reset-screenshots-4.jpg

fortniteskull.jpg

Death_Inc_02-1024x682.jpg

blands4.jpg

firefall-screenshot_1020.0_cinema_640.0.

ss_820fdd9c0e35590b82b5923e87e0d3d1670d9

6893440827_1886bd673f_b.jpg

tumblr_mg3b12QBtn1rlwrcao1_500.png

AI is my other complaint it seems most AI these days don't do any other functions than focus on the player soon as they spot them. LAst of Us had some pretty interesting AI. Most AI seem to have this magic ability that they never loose sight of you no matter where you go or what you do. Some don't seem to have any common sense and just go straight forward at you. I can't think of a game where an enemy actually tries to back away from you.

My last major hope for focus on is animation, not just how the characters move but how they react to. Rage and Hard Reset are the only games I can think of where you could shoot an enemy in a specific area that's not the head or something obvious like a fuel tank on a pyro and they'll react specifically to that. For example in Hard Reset you could shoot off a gorilla bots legs and seem them twitch on the ground, you can shoot off one of their arms and they'll immediatly fall and crawl after you. This is part of the reason I don't find non hack n slash melee based games that enjoyable, the hit reaction is poor and non dynamic. Even uncharted has some sloppy melee animations, however Last of Us seems perfect. Looking at EIN I found the animations impressive especially for an MMO. It seems that almost everyone is getting mocap and not just the big budget AAA studios, it's nice to see even RTS games put effort into animation like Rome 2 Total War despite their massive scales.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

Art Style, developers should put more emphasis on Art style especially indie devs which shockingly lack art styles, considering it's 2012 platformers with 3D graphics isn't too much ask. Infact Nintendo first party and Media Monicule would be good examples of devs who put efforts into art style.

NoodleFighter

You're joking right? Look at the new super mario bros games, they have some of the most boring art styles Ive ever seen.

GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GamerwillzPS
Member since 2012 • 8531 Posts

AI is the biggest thing in which I would like to see a significant improvement on. Intelligent AI makes you think about your strategies carefully and look at different ways to execute your operations. I like this along with higher difficulty. This, in my opinion, adds more perfection to games.

Better animations, physics and environment interactions are amongst of things I would like to see in next-gen. But AI should be the one that get looked at first, IMO.

AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts

load times- ac3 installed like 4 gigs of data to the hard drive and there were still loading screens pretty much all over the place.

If you're gonna make me install that much data I should have one loading screen and that's only when i boot it up and maybe when loading a major new area.

If a game is linear and you're just moving from point a to point b there should be no install or load times like in god of war, uncharted etc

Admittedly idk much about the technical aspects of this issue but still

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts
I agree making enviroments A LOT more interactive with realistic physics (depending on game ofc) that has gameplay implications is at the top of my list. A game like Just Cause 2 is like the most advanced action-adventure game out there when it comes to manipulating the world around you. That's a bit pathetic when you think about it (not hating on JC2, it's a great game).
Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Nintendo has all the power they need with Wii U and so will everyone else with the other 2.

So... everything? Next gen games can be as good as they need to be technically so they shouldn't wow anyone anymore, people would get sick of flashy setpieces when everything on the market can be realistic.

One techincal issue I would want dealt with above anything, that i'm not sure will get dealt with is load times. I hope I never see a load screen next gen.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

Moving gameplay beyond just hybrids.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Scope, I want large worlds to play around in, not necessarily in the Open world sense, and I want more thought and attention to detail packed into them.

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

I think AI and level design are some of the things that need to be improved a lot in single player games, especially RPGs.

I think the best example of the typical major, high-score release this gen is ME2. All presentation, absolute garbage gameplay, AI and level design - a true whack-a-mole of a game. ME3 was a good step in the right direction.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Framerate. I can barely handle playing games on consoles anymore. It's literally painful on the eyes. Sure, some run smoother than others, but the big graphics blockbusters, the console games that look best in screenshots, almost invariably run agonizingly slow. For next gen, I say push graphics, for sure, but have a minimum framerate standard. Console games should NEVER drop below 30 fps. Even for a second.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts
Improved AI, better physics, and an emphasis on non-linear, open-world gaming. I really want to see the open-world sandbox genre blossom this gen. I want to see virtual worlds created instead of linear corridor shooters.
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Environment interaction. I love games where I can just mess about. Improve the physics and stuff like that.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

There are certain things they can do to make game worlds more "real" depending on the game. Such as weather patterns. We also need much better AI- such as NPCs that actually do the things human beings do in real life other than stand rooted to the spot blurting out dialogue or wonder around aimlessly like crackheads. They should get in fights, arrive at real destinations (work, bars, their homes, shops, groups of friends) other than walk in a pre-determined pattern, eat, drink and so on. GTA already does some of these things. I agree with better physics and more destructible environments; it doesn't have to be Red Faction but it would be cool to see some craters and rubble and whatnot after a grenade goes off.

Late edit- Developers need to stop snatching control away from you every 14th step for (sometimes unskippable) cut scenes which then show things that could easily happen during gameplay, this sh!t is getting worse than ever (Max Payne 3, Resi 6). They need to take a more minimalistic approach and tell the story as you're playing the game which is much more immersive. Try foregoing the dudebro apes and credit us with a modicum of intelligence for f*cks sake.

Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

I didnt read the post but AI, SOUND and LEVELDesign!!!!....cant stress those enough

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

More sandbox games.

More WRPGs.

Run as far as humanly possible from Uncharted and Gears of War next gen.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts
AI. It still blows my mind that the best AI I have experienced in an FPS is a game from 2004 (FEAR)
cryemocry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 cryemocry
Member since 2013 • 590 Posts

control/gameplay options and level design and sound.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BPoole96

More sandbox games.

More WRPGs.

StrongDeadlift
Yeah I'm tired of popcorn games with weak gameplay and all emphasis put on scripted events and production values.
Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts
[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"]

More sandbox games.

More WRPGs.

BPoole96
Yeah I'm tired of popcorn games with weak gameplay and all emphasis put on scripted events and production values.

It will likely be the other way around sadly. I mean given how much Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed etc sell year after year it's obvious that production values and marketing are way more important than gameplay.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-57d8401f17c55

AI. It still blows my mind that the best AI I have experienced in an FPS is a game from 2004 (FEAR)BPoole96

For my money Killzone 3 has the best AI. Haven't played FEAR though.

GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GamerwillzPS

[QUOTE="BPoole96"][QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"]

More sandbox games.

More WRPGs.

Sushiglutton

It will likely be the other way around sadly. I mean given how much Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed etc sell year after year it's obvious that production values and marketing are way more important than gameplay.

Those garbage are called mainstream games.

Come to PC and you'll find loads of titles that are not well-known and lots of indie games. They are often better games.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BPoole96

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]AI. It still blows my mind that the best AI I have experienced in an FPS is a game from 2004 (FEAR)Chozofication

Killzone does have pretty good AI, but I recommend playing FEAR 1 (PC version if you have access). Many times I would rush and enemy in cover and I'd go around the corner to shoot him but he would har strafed around the pillar as I came towards him and I'd turn around and he'd be punching me in the face. Even though the game is linear and corridor based, the firefights are very intense.
OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

load times- ac3 installed like 4 gigs of data to the hard drive and there were still loading screens pretty much all over the place.

If you're gonna make me install that much data I should have one loading screen and that's only when i boot it up and maybe when loading a major new area.

If a game is linear and you're just moving from point a to point b there should be no install or load times like in god of war, uncharted etc

Admittedly idk much about the technical aspects of this issue but still

AsadMahdi59

Wow.. 4 gig's? PS3 FTL.. :lol:

Anyway.. I agree that reducing load times is a must next gen along with better physics and AI.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#25 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
Sound could be improved a lot. Playing FC3 I feel like modding in nature sounds or some sh!t because the ambient sound is so weak.
super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

They should focus on using the tools provided to them to make their games have interesting and unique gameplay.

DivineSword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DivineSword  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 15840 Posts

Chozofication

Not sure if it's just me, but I felt Killzone 2 had better AI than Killzone 3. The game just feel too easy compare to the second one.

Avatar image for GamingVengeance
GamingVengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GamingVengeance
Member since 2012 • 1874 Posts

Environment interaction. I love games where I can just mess about. Improve the physics and stuff like that.

seanmcloughlin
Ya that was one of the coolest things about crysis. You could shoot a branch off a tree, pick up that branch, and throw it Into a Koreans face lol
Mozuckint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Mozuckint
Member since 2012 • 831 Posts

AI and Level Design.

I'm frankly tired of Games punishing gamers when they refuse to follow singular scripted sections. Creativity in completing objectives and such should be encouraged.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-57d8401f17c55

[QUOTE="Chozofication"]

DivineSword

Not sure if it's just me, but I felt Killzone 2 had better AI than Killzone 3. The game just feel too easy compare to the second one.

That's just because Sev was a human tank and the game had 150ms input lag. Harder because of broken design, not good design. :P Player reaction time was sloth like.

Playing the last level on hardest difficulty was a nightmare.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-57d8401f17c55

[QUOTE="Chozofication"]

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]AI. It still blows my mind that the best AI I have experienced in an FPS is a game from 2004 (FEAR)BPoole96

Killzone does have pretty good AI, but I recommend playing FEAR 1 (PC version if you have access). Many times I would rush and enemy in cover and I'd go around the corner to shoot him but he would har strafed around the pillar as I came towards him and I'd turn around and he'd be punching me in the face. Even though the game is linear and corridor based, the firefights are very intense.

I might check it out one day, i've always heard good things about it. Not so much about 2 and 3 though.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#32 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

I really think Gaming Graphics are alright for what we have now. Maybe just uping the Resolution in games and the Frame Rate and we've done pretty good.

Up the Polygon count if they will, but I really like how most of these generation's games have turned out.

hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

They need to focus on two specific things

1. Story. They should focus on story because a good story is the one thing that can never get dated. I still play Half Life 2 regularly. It has great gameplay, but the story is what keeps me coming back over and over. I've played games with great gameplay and average stories and never went back to them.
  2. Setting (atmosphere/mood). They should also focus on setting because this will provide for a very unique experience. Going into a truly interesting world is something that will make a game more interesting and memorable. Some games that have great and memorable settings are HL2, Portal 2, L4D2, Enslaved, STALKER.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BPoole96

[QUOTE="BPoole96"][QUOTE="Chozofication"]

Chozofication

I might check it out one day, i've always heard good things about it. Not so much about 2 and 3 though.

Yeah don't even bother with 2 and 3. The first is a classic though
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts

AI is the biggest thing in which I would like to see a significant improvement on. Intelligent AI makes you think about your strategies carefully and look at different ways to execute your operations. I like this along with higher difficulty. This, in my opinion, adds more perfection to games.

Better animations, physics and environment interactions are amongst of things I would like to see in next-gen. But AI should be the one that get looked at first, IMO.

GamerwillzPS
The AI is probably fine, most shooters have no where to go, your in a corridor, he's in front of you, theres not a lot of options to take into consideration. But then you have games like far cry 3 where animals can attack, and enemies can change focus. Or if your detected it's possible for them to set out in search patterns.. well they did that in the original far cry. Even games like skyrim allow for AI to get into fights with the wilderness or lose track of the player.
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
More open world. Better AI.
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts

[QUOTE="BPoole96"][QUOTE="Chozofication"]

Chozofication

If your talking about the original killzone the AI was terrible. I don't think there was any processing time for the AI, they'd literally run 4 ft in front of you and wait to get shot.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-57d8401f17c55

[QUOTE="Chozofication"]

[QUOTE="BPoole96"] Killzone does have pretty good AI, but I recommend playing FEAR 1 (PC version if you have access). Many times I would rush and enemy in cover and I'd go around the corner to shoot him but he would har strafed around the pillar as I came towards him and I'd turn around and he'd be punching me in the face. Even though the game is linear and corridor based, the firefights are very intense.savagetwinkie

If your talking about the original killzone the AI was terrible. I don't think there was any processing time for the AI, they'd literally run 4 ft in front of you and wait to get shot.

Well we were talking about FEAR 1 but the Killzone game with the best AI is 3.

Also I have the Killzone trilogy and Killzone HD fixes all the issues in the original.

Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#40 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

Getting their games to not run like complete sh*t. It's become a trend on consoles recently to sacrifice performance for better visuals. Hopefully they don't have to do that next gen, but they probably will anyways.

GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 GamerwillzPS

Getting their games to not run like complete sh*t. It's become a trend on consoles recently to sacrifice performance for better visuals. Hopefully they don't have to do that next gen, but they probably will anyways.

Master_ShakeXXX

You have the luxury of tweaking the settings in PC games.

Consolites are labeled peasants for a reason.

Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Riadon2
Member since 2011 • 1598 Posts

Physics, AI, sound quality, animation, story.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

Just make games that are fun to play.

Simple as that.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
imaginative worlds / different settings no more copy/paste successful game formula.
Thefatness16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Thefatness16
Member since 2010 • 4673 Posts

Stop aping bad mechanics from bad games to cater to BK's. All I can ask for, after Halo 4.

AnXboxGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 AnXboxGuy
Member since 2013 • 50 Posts
I just want better AI, that's the big one.
RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts
They need to flesh out their worlds more. In some games it just feels like your moving from room to room, corridor to corridor for no reason. I think Bioshock nailed it, you actually felt like you were in rapture. Progress made sense and audiotapes really fleshed out the world down there.
Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Silenthps
Member since 2006 • 7302 Posts
Crysis-Like Interaction/Physics where I can just Strength-Mode -> Punch my way into any building.
crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

Crysis-Like Interaction/Physics where I can just Strength-Mode -> Punch my way into any building. Silenthps

Your sig is amazing.