There was a new RollerCoaster Tycoon

This topic is locked from further discussion.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46282 Posts

It was released for 3DS about a month ago and noone cared (probably because it was made by n-space)

It has a score of 38 on metacritic with 0 positive reviews.

What was Atari thinking ?

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

its a shame they gained the rights, honestly the only person who does rct justice as we have seen is Chris Sawyer.But afaik he's left the industry all together.

Shame to see an IP that was developed in basically my back garden get destroyed by atari who have a habit of wrecking games with potential...im looking at you TDU2.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts
Damn. That's pretty bad. Closest I got to Rollercoaster Tycoon was Theme Park World, which was awesome
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 R4gn4r0k  Online

its a shame they gained the rights, honestly the only person who does rct justice as we have seen is Chris Sawyer.But afaik he's left the industry all together.

Shame to see an IP that was developed in basically my back garden get destroyed by atari who have a habit of wrecking games with potential...im looking at you TDU2.

razgriz_101

Last I heard he wasn't to happy with how they made RCT3 (something about royalties) and sued Atari.

Oh yeah TDU2 is another great example of a good series turned to crap.

Luckily though TDU and RCT 1 &2 are still a lot of fun to play:)

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 R4gn4r0k  Online

Damn. That's pretty bad. Closest I got to Rollercoaster Tycoon was Theme Park World, which was awesomefreedomfreak

Never played that one, was it on consoles ?

I remember playing the first Theme Park, it was kinda like RCT but not as fleshed out.

Even for its age I would still recommend checking out RCT if you come by it somehow.;)

Here are its system requirements:

Intel or compatible processor at 90 MHz or better
16 MB of RAM
55 MB of free hard disk space
plus another 45 MB for Corkscrew Follies
plus another 45 MB for Loopy Landscapes
Graphics card with 1 MB of video RAM
Windows 95 or newer

So it can run on pretty much anything, even netbooks.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]Damn. That's pretty bad. Closest I got to Rollercoaster Tycoon was Theme Park World, which was awesomeR4gn4r0k

I remember playing the first Theme Park, it was kinda like RCT but not as fleshed out.

Even for its age I would still recommend checking out RCT if you come by it somehow.;)

16 MB of RAM
Windows 95 or newer

I played it on the ps1. Building rollercoasters was just a part of the game. I'm pretty sure my computer can run that :P
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]Damn. That's pretty bad. Closest I got to Rollercoaster Tycoon was Theme Park World, which was awesomeR4gn4r0k

16 MB of RAM
Windows 95 or newer

I reckon you could run that on a tablet.
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 R4gn4r0k  Online

I played it on the ps1. Building rollercoasters was just a part of the game. I'm pretty sure my computer can run that :Pfreedomfreak

Did you like it ?

Building rollercoasters is a lot of fun in RCT, they don't even have to work properly:P

You can get it on gog if you are interested;)

I reckon you could run that on a tablet.clyde46

If I ever get one, I'm def going to try it out.

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

Speaking of rollercoasters, I miss Sim Theme Park.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 razgriz_101

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]I played it on the ps1. Building rollercoasters was just a part of the game. I'm pretty sure my computer can run that :PR4gn4r0k

Did you like it ?

Building rollercoasters is a lot of fun in RCT, they don't even have to work properly:P

You can get it on gog if you are interested;)

I reckon you could run that on a tablet.clyde46

If I ever get one, I'm def going to try it out.

You can build some really intricate rollercoasters on it and even for its age, its aged extremely well in my book.

balfe1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 balfe1990
Member since 2009 • 6747 Posts

The first RollerCoaster Tycoon was literally awesome. Such a great title.

Then they released 2, which was actually the exact same game. People complain about each CoD game being a clone of the previous one, but take a look at those two games. It is uncanny.:lol:

So, yeah, disappointed to see what's happened to the franch.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 razgriz_101

Then they released 2, which was actually the exact same game. People complain about each CoD game being a clone of the previous one, but take a look at those two games. It is uncanny.:lol:

balfe1990

no it wasnt...just because it re-used the originals engine the physics were imroved,so were the building tools,park editior,six flags integration,at least triple the content of the first game and its addons.

So yeah...thats releasing the same game.

RCT2 pretty much built upon everything RCT1 done, and still holds up better than Theme Park World.

balfe1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 balfe1990

[QUOTE="balfe1990"]

razgriz_101

no it wasnt...just because it re-used the originals engine the physics were imroved,so were the building tools,park editior,six flags integration,at least triple the content of the first game and its addons.

RCT2 pretty much built upon everything RCT1 done, and still holds up better than Theme Park World.

Sorry, you got a few new rides, a track editor and a couple of new scenarios.:lol: Everything else was the SAME. It looked the same, sounded the same and played the same.

[spoiler]

1.jpg

=

RollercoasterTycoon2.jpg

[/spoiler]

It was still the better game when stood next to the original of course, but you don't think it woud have served better as an expansion pack?

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 razgriz_101

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

[QUOTE="balfe1990"]

balfe1990

Sorry, you got a few new rides, a track editor and a couple of new scenarios.:lol: Everything else was the SAME. It looked the same, sounded the same and played the same.

[spoiler]

1.jpg

=

RollercoasterTycoon2.jpg

[/spoiler]

It was still the better game when stood next to the original of course, but you don't think it woud have served better as an expansion pack?

there was a lot of features that required changes to the engine itself like the scenario creator.

Heres some food for thought, that game was built by 3 people and is fully written in x86 assembly.

Your just a bit of an idiot when it comes to this but under the hood, the RCT2 engine has a fair few tweaks and all that under the hood, alogn with better physics aswell which is noticable in coaster desing as to where its been tweaked.

Just some food for thought.

Does this make Bad company 1 and 2 the same game? or Forza 3 and 4 the same game aswell? or even better Halo 3 and Reach? they all use the same engine by the logic you are using in this topic bout RCT they must all be the same aswell.

And kiddo calling cod the same game year in year out is old, and usually gets disproven to an extent that its usually an entirely new game who cares if they reuse an engine it must mean half the games in the industry are all the same game.......

balfe1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 balfe1990

there was a lot of features that required changes to the engine itself like the scenario creator.

Heres some food for thought, that game was built by 3 people and is fully written in x86 assembly.

Your just a bit of an idiot when it comes to this but under the hood, the RCT2 engine has a fair few tweaks and all that under the hood, alogn with better physics aswell which is noticable in coaster desing as to where its been tweaked.

Does this make Bad company 1 and 2 the same game? or Forza 3 and 4 the same game aswell? or even better Halo 3 and Reach? they all use the same engine by the logic you are using in this topic bout RCT they must all be the same aswell.

And kiddo calling cod the same game year in year out is old, and usually gets disproven to an extent that its usually an entirely new game who cares if they reuse an engine it must mean half the games in the industry are all the same game.......

razgriz_101

Wow, I have inadvertently gotten under your skin.:?

If you're going to start slagging me off for no reason, I can't be bothered. See ya.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 razgriz_101

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

balfe1990

If you're going to start slagging me off for no reason, I can't be bothered. See ya.

so because i proved you wrong you assume that you have riled me and better yet i've supposidly slagged you.If you think kiddo's offensive and honestly i call everyone kiddo on and off the internet then thats your own issue and a bit silly you think a generalised name i use day in day out on this board = slagging.

I see we cant stand the heat of being proven wrong, and on another note loads of games re-use assets every iteration and extremely common.

balfe1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 balfe1990

[QUOTE="balfe1990"]

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

razgriz_101

so because i proved you wrong you assume that you have riled me and better yet i've supposidly slagged you.If you think kiddo's offensive and honestly i call everyone kiddo on and off the internet then thats your own issue and a bit silly you think a generalised name i use day in day out on this board = slagging.

I see we cant stand the heat of being proven wrong, and on another note loads of games re-use assets every iteration and extremely common.

You didn't prove me wrong... You started banging on about tweaks to the engine. I simply stated that a lot of the second game is extremely similar. The interface is identical, the rides look the same, the control scheme is the SAME, the music is indistinguishable from the first. I have played both games.

You've vaguely said it has a "fair few tweaks". Ok, great. Nothing major obviously, so thus nothing they couldn't have introduced in an Expansion Pack, as they were want to do back in the day. Did this game warrant a 50 quid purchase when it released? I think not, as I'd have been fairly pissed off upon getting this clone on launch day.

You can go on about all the "under-the-hood" tweaks you want, but if it's not immediately apparent in the aesthetic or obvious in it's impact on the gameplay, how does that concern me, or any other gamer for that matter?

And don't go around calling people idiots for no apparent reason like all the other ten-a-penny trolls, it's a license to get ignored most of the time.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

[QUOTE="balfe1990"]

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

razgriz_101

He's probably referring to this line "Your just a bit of an idiot when it comes to this" I'm also guessing the condescending tone didn't help. Of course this is just coming from an independent observer. I'm really not interested in getting in the middle of your disagreement.

However I will say basically the two games were the same. I put enough hours into them to know. Sure there were some minor tweaks, but the style, mechanics and the gameplay were almost exactly the same. RCT3 was when the series actually changed, and not for the best in my opinion.

balfe1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 balfe1990

However I will say basically the two games were the same. I put enough hours into them to know. Sure there were some minor tweaks, but the style, mechanics and the gameplay were almost exactly the same. RCT3 was when the series actually changed, and not for the best in my opinion.

coasterguy65

Thank you.

And you should know, being the coasterguy and all.:P

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

[QUOTE="coasterguy65"]

balfe1990

Thank you.

And you should know, being the coasterguy and all.:P

No problem...and yeah I'm a bit of a coaster geek.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 R4gn4r0k  Online

balfe1990

Looking back on it now it looks like the exact same game. But in actuallity it improved more than a standard COD sequel.

There was a lot more content. RCT1 without expansion packs just can't compare to the amount of content in RCT2 as razgriz said.

If you like 1 you will like 2 I guess :P

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 R4gn4r0k  Online

He's probably referring to this line "Your just a bit of an idiot when it comes to this" I'm also guessing the condescending tone didn't help. Of course this is just coming from an independent observer. I'm really not interested in getting in the middle of your disagreement.

coasterguy65

For all I care they can make another 2D RCT. And make it almost exactly like 1&2 with tweaks and new content.

I don't care if its basically the same game. It was a great game then and the concept it still great now !:D

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

I hate Atari. They own the D&D license and instead of getting a proper Neverwinter Nights sequel we got crappy D&D online and what looks like yet another MMORPG with NWN online.

And now this. If a proper sequel were to be made and put up on Steam, my god. IT would easily sell a few million in the first 6 months. There hasn't been a new one in a LONG while. Every PC gamer I know would pick up a copy, even though they are into different genres, RCT would bring them all together.

Atari is just stupid.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 R4gn4r0k  Online

[spoiler]

1.jpg

=

RollercoasterTycoon2.jpg

[/spoiler]

balfe1990

It had way more content than the other expansion packs and RCT1 put together. And it did have graphical improvements. RCT 2 did look better than 1.

Of course looking back on those old graphics now you might say its the same game. But judging oldvideo game graphics isn't always fair or straightforward.

Give it some time and people will say MW3 looks the exact same as BlopsII. And when the N64 came out it definitely had better graphics than the SNES.

But now I prefer the way some SNES games look over N64 launchgames anyday!

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 R4gn4r0k  Online

I hate Atari. They own the D&D license and instead of getting a proper Neverwinter Nights sequel we got crappy D&D online and what looks like yet another MMORPG with NWN online.

And now this. If a proper sequel were to be made and put up on Steam, my god. IT would easily sell a few million in the first 6 months. There hasn't been a new one in a LONG while. Every PC gamer I know would pick up a copy, even though they are into different genres, RCT would bring them all together.

Atari is just stupid.

Kinthalis

Agreed. Their management is stupid.

I bet their next idea is to make a facebook game made by Nihilistic, they are even worse at caring for someone elses IP than n-space