Theory: People who hate on MW2 simply stink at it

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jetslalom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jetslalom
Member since 2010 • 574 Posts

yes no? i have to say some kills get me pissed , when i shoot someone in the face 2 times at close range and he still manages to kill me, (happened last night) but all in all i think its still the best fps out there, played BFBC 2 and it didnt hit the spot like MW2 does

h575309

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 h575309
Member since 2005 • 8551 Posts

Not really. I used to really love the CoD franchise, and CoD4 was alot of fun. Theyre finely polished games (well they used to be) and the formula is a little stale now. Theres something about the MP thats completely frenetic and mindless, which can be a good and a bad thing. I just prefer BC2 for vehicles and destructible environments.

HotRevolver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 HotRevolver
Member since 2009 • 532 Posts

Uh yeah....no. I had a 2.7 KD before I came to the conclusion that the multiplayer is complete trash.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61486 Posts

Not at all. Just because somebody doesn't like the game, doesn't mean they are bad.

I much prefer BC2 personally, and find it to be the much better multiplayer game, but doesn't really mean I stink at MW2.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
Nah. Respawning just in front/behind of the guy who just killed you, giving you or him an easy kill, isn't about skill. It's bs.
OneLazyAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 OneLazyAsian
Member since 2009 • 1715 Posts

1.13 KDR and I think the maps are horribly unbalanced.

CDUB316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 CDUB316
Member since 2009 • 6589 Posts

just no TC....i was MUCH better at MW2 than i am BC2....but BC2 is just sooooo much better

Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10141 Posts

Your "theory" (more like hypothesis) is a common, and very elementary guess based off of nothing but a hunch. I very much dislike it when entire groups of people (in this case, everyone who hates MW2) are categorized in an attempt to harbor some kind of silly elitism ("You probably just suck at it. You clearly don't undertsnad, but I do, because I'm so good at it.")

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#9 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

No.

Back in 2007 when CoD 4 came out and again in 2008 when WaW was launched, I said that the series was going to go downhill. We saw a lot shorter single player with a focus on extreme linearity and very tight corridor battles which was different than the originals. I saw a focus on the online.

The online I saw as becoming a way for no player to feel like they suck. They add a lot of perks and ways to make even the worst players score decently. It was fun for awhile, but once I realized that games were won by a single player and killstreaks I saw the end of the series coming. I saw the weapon inbalances, the perk inbalances, the ability for one player to have an uber class which require less skill to play.

As I feared, MW2 took my complaints and expanded upon them 10 fold. To make it worse, they stripped out dedicated servers and charged more for less features.

If you were to compare CoD 4 or MW2 to Counter Strike Source, you'll see some major differences. For one the best players are using the "best" weapons, but those weapons are not easy to handle. You cannot just full auto an AK-47 or the M1A1 and win. You need to learn control, accuracy, and some firing discipline. It was hard for a new player to get into the game, and even harder to stay one of the best. It was rewarding not in the way that it gave youa high level and more weapons, it was rewarding as when you entered a game, you beat your opponents and made a name for yourself.

The idea of CSS wasn't to have some persistent character that you leveled up, but to give a single, equal playing field to all players. No person is different. Nobody has access to better weapons, nobody has perks, nobody gets killstreaks, and nobody has any sort of advantage. Everybody is equal. If you suck, you got beat. That is how it was. It was fun. The challenge didn't come at trying to level up to rank 55 or whatever, but it was to enter a gameand make a name for yourself. It was more personal than it is now. You got to know players on your favorite dedicated servers much better.

It was differnet.

SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SgtKevali
Member since 2009 • 5763 Posts

No, MW2 doesn't take "skill", whatever that is. Their main problem is that it's the popular thing to hate on it, and if you don't hate it then you're a noob. They'll deny it but a lot of the time this is the probable truth.

slvrraven9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 slvrraven9
Member since 2004 • 9278 Posts
meh, i like it.....thats all i have to say. i play it almost every night.
bigblunt537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 bigblunt537
Member since 2003 • 6907 Posts

No.

Back in 2007 when CoD 4 came out and again in 2008 when WaW was launched, I said that the series was going to go downhill. We saw a lot shorter single player with a focus on extreme linearity and very tight corridor battles which was different than the originals. I saw a focus on the online.

The online I saw as becoming a way for no player to feel like they suck. They add a lot of perks and ways to make even the worst players score decently. It was fun for awhile, but once I realized that games were won by a single player and killstreaks I saw the end of the series coming. I saw the weapon inbalances, the perk inbalances, the ability for one player to have an uber class which require less skill to play.

As I feared, MW2 took my complaints and expanded upon them 10 fold. To make it worse, they stripped out dedicated servers and charged more for less features.

If you were to compare CoD 4 or MW2 to Counter Strike Source, you'll see some major differences. For one the best players are using the "best" weapons, but those weapons are not easy to handle. You cannot just full auto an AK-47 or the M1A1 and win. You need to learn control, accuracy, and some firing discipline. It was hard for a new player to get into the game, and even harder to stay one of the best. It was rewarding not in the way that it gave youa high level and more weapons, it was rewarding as when you entered a game, you beat your opponents and made a name for yourself.

The idea of CSS wasn't to have some persistent character that you leveled up, but to give a single, equal playing field to all players. No person is different. Nobody has access to better weapons, nobody has perks, nobody gets killstreaks, and nobody has any sort of advantage. Everybody is equal. If you suck, you got beat. That is how it was. It was fun. The challenge didn't come at trying to level up to rank 55 or whatever, but it was to enter a gameand make a name for yourself. It was more personal than it is now. You got to know players on your favorite dedicated servers much better.

It was differnet.

Wasdie

Amazing post. Couldn't say it ant better.

farnham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 farnham
Member since 2003 • 21147 Posts

i dont play any fps games online.. i only play fps games offline / singleplayer

and judging from that MW2 was a big letdown compared to MW1

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Or maybe they were fans of the series since the beginning and find it distasteful where Infinity Ward and Activision has taken it?

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#15 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts
I would throw out there that a lot of folks dislike it because it's easy to jump on that bandwagon--the one in which you constantly bash MW2 because it's the most popular game of the decade so-to-speak. I haven't played it in quite some time, but I surely thought it was worthy of AAA.
razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

yes no? i have to say some kills get me pissed , when i shoot someone in the face 2 times at close range and he still manages to kill me, (happened last night) but all in all i think its still the best fps out there, played BFBC 2 and it didnt hit the spot like MW2 does

jetslalom

you didnt hit the select/back button enough :P

MW2 just holds your hand,encourages camping and for even more insult it pretty much rewards bad players and camping(camping needs to die in a corner with 13 y/o mic spammers)

todd2r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 todd2r
Member since 2009 • 2615 Posts

jetslalom

i might be the only one that agrees with you. Im good at MW2, and im even better at BC2, but i think BC2 is soooooooooo boring. it moves at a snails pace. i found it to be very easy. the only difference is when you do good in BC2, your teammates better be good too. you cant do it by yourself. I can easily get 20+ kills in squad deathmatch, but my teammates get like 5 and 7 kills and your team ends up finishing last. I personally get more satisfaction out of MW2 than i do BC2. MW2 has problems, but BC2 has problems too.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
No offense Wasdie, but you haven't played MW2 yet. :P

Or maybe they were fans of the series since the beginning and find it distasteful where Infinity Ward and Activision has taken it?

foxhound_fox
The same folks who complained about CoD4?
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Wasdie  Moderator

No offense Wasdie, but you haven't played MW2 yet. :P [QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]

Stevo_the_gamer

The same folks who complained about CoD4?

But I have. I am in a college dorm, plenty of my friends have it and I have played it and watched them play it.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts
No, MW2 just has crappy multiplayer. That's that.
Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

Not really. I used to really love the CoD franchise, and CoD4 was alot of fun. Theyre finely polished games (well they used to be) and the formula is a little stale now. Theres something about the MP thats completely frenetic and mindless, which can be a good and a bad thing. I just prefer BC2 for vehicles and destructible environments.

h575309
I agree with this. COD4 i loved, I sold it to get MW2, and i was hugely disappointed. For me, its not just the gameplay, but the maps... the maps that shipped with MW2 were terrible, every one had flaws. Theres ZERO team work in the COD series games, and the gameplay has not updated much over the past few games. BC2 is totally team based, with squad spawning, and medic heals, revivals, and ammo refils.
deuce85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deuce85
Member since 2007 • 527 Posts

No.

It was differnet.

Wasdie

That was beautiful.....I'm speechless.

shadow_hosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#23 shadow_hosi
Member since 2006 • 9543 Posts
fact: mw2 is a joke of a game and the devs have truly turned their backs on their fanbase
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Ah Wasdie, when has this happened -- haven't heard you talk about this before. Now I feel dumb. :x
gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

#25 gamecubepad
Member since 2003 • 7214 Posts

Well said, wasdie.

Avatar image for Human-after-all
Human-after-all

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Human-after-all
Member since 2009 • 2972 Posts
Whoa whoa. You are implying that MW2 takes skill, which it takes little of. Bad game for bad fps players that's why it sucks.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Wasdie  Moderator

Well stevo, it happens all of the time.

I'll play MW2 with friends, hell I have thought of buying it just to play the game with friends. I find playing games, any games, with friends is always better than playing a game alone or with random people.

shadow_hosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#28 shadow_hosi
Member since 2006 • 9543 Posts

I'll play MW2 with friends, hell I have thought of buying it just to play the game with friends. I find playing games, any games, with friends is always better than playing a game alone or with random people.

Wasdie

but what about random people that become friends?

or are you one of them loner people when your online?

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

shadow_hosi

but what about random people that become friends?

or are you one of them loner people when your online?

With no dedicated servers on consoles, it is hard to become friends with random people.

Clans and whatnot are a lot less common on the console (truely organized ones at least) becuase there is no real dedicated server that they can call home and keep coming back to play with each other at. Usually when playing DoD or CS 1.6 back in the day, I would find a server that I enjoyed and would play there for many hours. I would eventually become friends with the people who do the same and come back to the server on a daily basis.

You don't get that with console games or games without dedicated servers. You meet hundreds of randoms and rarely meet anybody who becomes a real online friend.

Also I game a lot with my union GUFU. I bought a 360 over a PS3 back in the day becuase everybody in GUFU had a 360 and was playing GTA4 on that. Hell, me, The_game21x, Verge_6, and Mordred here on GS play BC2 all of the time together and kick some major ass.

h575309

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 h575309
Member since 2005 • 8551 Posts

Im not so sure if its so much the game itself, or the players it attracts. Im not really putting down MW2 players, but in my experience, its not at all a team game. It is simply spawn, run around, shoot, get shot, dead. No one wants to work together, it seems to only be about kill/death ratio. That also leads into my second point of lack of variety in the actual gameplay. With BC2, you not only have your gun or grenades to take someone out, you have UAVs, tanks, helis, jeeps etc at your disposal. It spices up the gameplay alot, which Im sure most of you dont need to be told. In MW2, theres your gun and some form of grenades, and thats the options you have. It feels more like a round of paintball than warfare. Well, thats how I feel about the game. Its not that MW2 is necessarily bad, but its just not for me. Ive gotten sick and tired of the mindless running around like a chicken. It will probably be the last CoD game I buy.

PungentStench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 PungentStench
Member since 2009 • 46 Posts

The online I saw as becoming a way for no player to feel like they suck. They add a lot of perks and ways to make even the worst players score decently.

Wasdie

Exactly! In order for this game to be as popular and sell as well as it has been it must first have huge hype and marketing behind it and it must be a game the millions of noobs can pick up, easily get into and give them the experience of being good without actually being good. It makes for a very shallow experience. Why is that people say that others do not like this game for reasons like "it's popular" or "they suck at it" despite the fact that those who say they do not like it have listed reason after reason. Are you all really so blind?

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
I dislike it. I was good at the game. So, no.
Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

I was better at MW2 than I am at BC2, but BC2 is a very good game, and MW2 is a piece of garbage embedded on a blu-ray.

thepoop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 thepoop7
Member since 2003 • 1391 Posts
I had a 1.55 Kill death spread when I reached level 70, and I was never a camper, sniper, or shotgun toting maniac. After that, I realized how horribly unbalanced the game was/is with its weapons, kill streaks, and camping (level design), and simply stopped playing.
Avatar image for tehsystemwarior
tehsystemwarior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 tehsystemwarior
Member since 2009 • 1812 Posts
Watch Blame Truths, or Xcalizorz videos on youtube. Those guys are both really good players, but hate the game.
Mario1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36 Mario1331
Member since 2005 • 8929 Posts

or maybe they just dont like it

TintedEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 TintedEyes
Member since 2009 • 4769 Posts
1.40 KD and I still hate it, I'm bout to re-buy COD4 for 15 bucks on ebay.
rollermint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 rollermint
Member since 2010 • 632 Posts

jetslalom

blah forum ate my post....but whatever. too lazy to retype.

Hahadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Hahadouken
Member since 2009 • 5546 Posts
Naw, I just felt it kind of trashed everything that made CoD4 great. It didn't feel authentic at all, the MP was geared at being some kind of pseudo-realistic Unreal Tournament, it didn't feel right to me. Then you have the bugs, boosters, glitchers... no thanks. My friends still play it all the time and I don't see the appeal. BFBC2 all the way for me, and when Halo Reach comes out I'm sure I'll be all over that.
xPhantom_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 xPhantom_
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

I owned CoD4 I got bored of it in about a month. I had a 2.3 K/D and was in many top clans. Unfortunetly the game is filled with noobs that get free kills from juggernaut and matyrdom. Nobody trys for the objectives its just everyone for themselves. I skipped WaW and played MW2 for about an hour. From what little I played CoD4 > MW2

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

Wasdie
Heh. Well, I can believe that knowing every soul out there practically has a copy of MW2. I'm actually surprised you held your ground when everyone bought MW2. :P
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

No. It easy to tell just how badly the multiplayer snowballs. It's terrible game design.

Ugalde-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Ugalde-
Member since 2009 • 3732 Posts
How can you not be good at MW2?
Postal_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Postal_Guy
Member since 2006 • 2643 Posts

I didnt even touched the multiplayer. why?

campaign completed in 4 and a half hours on veteran.

fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts

No.... my k/d ratio is well over the average and I hate on it for things like lame killstreaks and constant campers

Crazyguy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46 Crazyguy105
Member since 2009 • 9513 Posts

I hate MW2 for many reasons.

And yet, me sucking at it has nothing to do with me hating it.

It's just a bad game.

Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Lto_thaG
Member since 2006 • 22611 Posts

Stink at it?

It's the easiest online game out there.

Avatar image for JetB1ackNewYear
JetB1ackNewYear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 JetB1ackNewYear
Member since 2007 • 2931 Posts
its the opposite people that play mw2 hop on bfbc2 and suck at it so they hate it
room420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 room420
Member since 2004 • 38 Posts

I owned CoD4 I got bored of it in about a month. I had a 2.3 K/D and was in many top clans.......

xPhantom_

You only played it for a month, yet you were in "many" top clans? What clans were you in? What criteria were used to determine how "top" they were? Did you actually play competitively or just type in some letters in a menu.

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts

I've written essays on why I hate MW2. And guess what? My 'skillz' online don't come into play once.