The Xbox 360's major fall from grace. What the heck happened?

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

twopistols3k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 twopistols3k
Member since 2008 • 51 Posts

Well I tried to like the Xbox 360, I really tried, but the RRoD and the Live fees really killed it for me(fees doubled up with my regular internet bill). Not to mention the simple fact that the flood of FPS (which I can't play for the life of me) is too much to stand limits the overall value of this dismal machine. So I tried to get back to my RPG roots only to find mediocre titles to choose from. Should I ride this train all the way to the Gears 2 hype, or should I bail out while their still some dignity left in me fellow gamers?

P.S. Please dont mention the Wii, it is a cancer to the gaming community.

Burnsmiesta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Burnsmiesta
Member since 2004 • 1672 Posts

When did the Xbox 360 fall from grace? Am I wrong in saying its close to overtaking lifetime Xbox sales?

Nocturnal15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Nocturnal15
Member since 2006 • 1476 Posts

Oh wow! You are complaining about the price of Live? You realize its only 50$ a year? Good god do the math and find out how much a month/day it boils down to. It is also the best online service for a console. There is no contest. I feel your pain about RROD but the price of Live and selection of games is a pitiful thing to complain. You are either way too picky and cheap or you havent explored enough on your choices for games. System Wars is funny.

DireOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DireOwl
Member since 2007 • 3352 Posts
You never tried it, because if you did you would not have made that post.
Avatar image for kid_who_grew_up
kid_who_grew_up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kid_who_grew_up
Member since 2008 • 450 Posts
Well Oblivion, Mass Effect, and Fallout 3 should last you long enough till the next wave of consoles. NO RPG? WHAT?
Avatar image for Vyse_The_Daring
Vyse_The_Daring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Vyse_The_Daring
Member since 2003 • 5318 Posts
Assuming you're not a fakeboy (1% chance): if you don't think the 360s library of good games is diverse enough, you won't have any better luck with the other consoles.
xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 xsubtownerx
Member since 2007 • 10705 Posts
So when is GameSpot going to disallow thread creations for people under level 5? This is getting out of hand now..
Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

I dunno. Most of the exclusive games just feel stale , what a difference a gen makes.

Solidus_Mute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Solidus_Mute
Member since 2008 • 405 Posts

Well I tried to like the Xbox 360, I really tried, but the RRoD and the Live fees really killed it for me(fees doubled up with my regular internet bill). Not to mention the simple fact that the flood of FPS (which I can't play for the life of me) is too much to stand limits the overall value of this dismal machine. So I tried to get back to my RPG roots only to find mediocre titles to choose from. Should I ride this train all the way to the Gears 2 hype, or should I bail out while their still some dignity left in me fellow gamers?

twopistols3k

I'm dumbfounded? You barely pay anything per year for $50. It's like..idk.. less than $5 a month. You can't pay less than $5 a month? IT's doubled up with your regualr interent bill? ...... I'm confused.

On that note, I don't pay for Gold... because I don't play online a lot. Silver is just dandy with me.... and it's free.

The RROD... yeah... you know how many PS2's I went through? 3 of them. Never... did Sony offer anything to take it in and fix it for free. I had to go out and buy a new one. At least with the 360, Microsoft has a sould and allows thousands of gamers who experience RROD(sometimes multiple of times) and fix it and give it back to them...FOR FREE! No another $300 to get another one. Sure seems like Microsoft cares about it's consumers. Unlike Sony.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts
[QUOTE="twopistols3k"]

Solidus_Mute

I'm dumbfounded? You barely pay anything per year for $50. It's like..idk.. less than $5 a month. You can't pay less than $5 a month? IT's doubled up with your regualr interent bill? ...... I'm confused.

On that note, I don't pay for Gold... because I don't play online a lot. Silver is just dandy with me.... and it's free.

The RROD... yeah... you know how many PS2's I went through? 3 of them. Never... did Sony offer anything to take it in and fix it for free. I had to go out and buy a new one. At least with the 360, Microsoft has a sould and allows thousands of gamers who experience RROD(sometimes multiple of times) and fix it and give it back to them...FOR FREE! No another $300 to get another one. Sure seems like Microsoft cares about it's consumers. Unlike Sony.

ya whatever

however is that their excuse for the RROD?

no reason why this consle should have this, no reason at all.

Burnsmiesta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Burnsmiesta
Member since 2004 • 1672 Posts
[QUOTE="Solidus_Mute"][QUOTE="twopistols3k"]

JangoWuzHere

ya whatever

Your completely right it should never of been there. Still doesn't change the fact you get a 3 year warranty though.
mephisto_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mephisto_11
Member since 2008 • 1880 Posts
20k more in the npd's monthly and finally a descent game so now the 360 has fallen from grace?
Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

I dunno. Most of the exclusive games just feel stale , what a difference a gen makes.

Nike_Air

Being one of the biggest cows on these forums your opinion on 360 games means about as much as a Sony promise = nothing :P

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts
TC, i think you are being a little melodramatic here. "fall from grace"? The x360 is still selling and great games are still being made for it :?
Solidus_Mute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Solidus_Mute
Member since 2008 • 405 Posts
[QUOTE="Solidus_Mute"][QUOTE="twopistols3k"]

JangoWuzHere

ya whatever

What was Sony's excuse for the PS2?

ithilgore2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 ithilgore2006
Member since 2006 • 10494 Posts
Yeah that $4 and a bit per month really just breaks the bank, doesn't it.
sireclaborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 sireclaborn
Member since 2008 • 1305 Posts

Oh wow! You are complaining about the price of Live? You realize its only 50$ a year? Good god do the math and find out how much a month/day it boils down to. It is also the best online service for a console. There is no contest. I feel your pain about RROD but the price of Live and selection of games is a pitiful thing to complain. You are either way too picky and cheap or you havent explored enough on your choices for games. System Wars is funny.

Nocturnal15

free will always be cheaper than 50. you may not think it high, but some people don't like getting ripped off. if you can do the same thing somewhere else for free why would you pay 50?

Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Zhengi
Member since 2006 • 8479 Posts
It doesn't help that MS continues to close their first party devs. Just yesterday we found out that Ensemble is being closed after they're done with Halo Wars.
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#19 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Nocturnal15

Anything becomes cheap when You count what it costs per year/month/day. It's a cheap marketing trick, like the "don't want to pay the full price? pay per month!" trick. Don't fall for it.

Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Zhengi
[QUOTE="Nocturnal15"]

KungfuKitten

Anything becomes cheap when You count what it costs per year/month/day. It's a cheap marketing trick, like the "don't want to pay the full price? pay per month!" trick. Don't fall for it.

Hey, an Aston Martin is only $265,000. If you break it down to 100 years, that's only $2,650 per year you're paying. That won't break the bank. That's peanuts!

LOXO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LOXO7
Member since 2008 • 5595 Posts

When did the Xbox 360 fall from grace? Am I wrong in saying its close to overtaking lifetime Xbox sales?

Burnsmiesta

thats a good second question. Does anyone have the answer?

Erik_Lensherr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Erik_Lensherr
Member since 2008 • 1340 Posts
[QUOTE="KungfuKitten"][QUOTE="Nocturnal15"]

Zhengi

Hey, an Aston Martin is only $265,000. If you break it down to 100 years, that's only $2,650 per year you're paying. That won't break the bank. That's peanuts!

Yah good analogy , it's almost the exact same thing :roll:

Km0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Km0n
Member since 2008 • 337 Posts

Your completely right it should never of been there. Still doesn't change the fact you get a 3 year warranty though.twopistols3k

yeah but if the xbox dies every 6months dont you have to pay for shipping cost ? the xbox really burns your pocket

ithilgore2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ithilgore2006
[QUOTE="Nocturnal15"]

KungfuKitten

It's fifty bloody dollars a year. It's hardly extortion, you must be fairly poor if you can't muster up $50 in a full year.
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 KungfuKitten
[QUOTE="Zhengi"][QUOTE="KungfuKitten"][QUOTE="Nocturnal15"]

Erik_Lensherr

Yah good analogy , it's almost the exact same thing :roll:

Zhengi is just teasing me, is ok. I understand :D
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 KungfuKitten
[QUOTE="KungfuKitten"][QUOTE="Nocturnal15"]

ithilgore2006

It's fifty bloody dollars a year. It's hardly extortion, you must be fairly poor if you can't muster up $50 in a full year.

It's 250 for 5 years, and that just isn't worth it imo. It's not a question of being poor or not. I'd rather get a ps3 for that kind of money.
CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 CaseyWegner
Member since 2002 • 70114 Posts

twopistols3k

you only pay $50 a year for internet?

ocinom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ocinom
Member since 2008 • 1385 Posts
Hmmmmm Someone here doesn't have A 360 cause if you have then you wouldn't whine about paying $50 and please RRoD is such a lame excuse
Fumpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Fumpa
Member since 2003 • 3307 Posts

twopistols3k

How can you even afford to play games if $50/year seems to be ruining you? Here's an idea. Get a job. And if you already have a job, the quit it and find one that pays more because you'd obviously not be getting paid very much if $50/year is something you have difficulty affording.

Also if you don't like the FPS's then don't buy them. Are you buying them? I mean that's the only way that your complaint would make any sense. It would be pretty rediculous for you to buy a game that you didn't like, but it's the only way that your complaint makes sense given that there are so very many other games on the 360 that aren't FPSs.

Or, are you trolling.

Nothing wrong with the Wii. If you have a problem with the Wii, don't buy it.

CPM_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 CPM_basic
Member since 2002 • 4247 Posts
[QUOTE="twopistols3k"]

Your completely right it should never of been there. Still doesn't change the fact you get a 3 year warranty though.Km0n

yeah but if the xbox dies every 6months dont you have to pay for shipping cost ? the xbox really burns your pocket

You don't have to pay for shipping costs. Xbox's don't die every 6 months. The new ones don't have the RROD problem.

Fumpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Fumpa
Member since 2003 • 3307 Posts

twopistols3k

One more thing. Who is your ISP? I mean if the Live service doubled your internet bill then that means you only pay $50 a year for broadband!!! WOW!!! Who is it?

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 project343
Member since 2005 • 14106 Posts

It fell? Mmhm. Sure.

*goes back to playing Trouble in Paradise*

sireclaborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 sireclaborn
Member since 2008 • 1305 Posts

Hmmmmm Someone here doesn't have A 360 cause if you have then you wouldn't whine about paying $50 and please RRoD is such a lame excuse ocinom

yeah not buying something because it breaks is a lame excuse. he should just suck it up and spend hundreds on something that will break. but wait it can be fixed for free for three years so i can also have the chance to run to the post office and wait 2 weeks while my console is repaired. hope it doesn't break during gears 2 launch because im really screwed. having a 360 is so fun.

naruto7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 naruto7777
Member since 2007 • 8059 Posts
have you ever played it
ithilgore2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ithilgore2006
[QUOTE="ithilgore2006"][QUOTE="KungfuKitten"][QUOTE="Nocturnal15"]

KungfuKitten

It's 250 for 5 years, and that just isn't worth it imo. It's not a question of being poor or not. I'd rather get a ps3 for that kind of money.

You can make it sound like a lot, but the truth is it's just not a lot. You don't pay it at once, you pay it over a very long time. Five years, that's 1825 days, you really think 250 is a lot to pay over that amount of days? Your internet probably costs close to 50 a month, most do anyway, now thats a lot to pay, that's 600 a year, now that's a lot. $4 a month isn't, considering you do get a lot for it.
Km0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Km0n
Member since 2008 • 337 Posts
[QUOTE="Km0n"][QUOTE="twopistols3k"]

Your completely right it should never of been there. Still doesn't change the fact you get a 3 year warranty though.CPM_basic

You don't have to pay for shipping costs. Xbox's don't die every 6 months. The new ones don't have the RROD problem.

i think the new ones still have RROD but eh i dont care anywayz since i dont have a xbox

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts
What ISP are you using, 'cause I sure as hell want one that only charges $50 a year.
ocinom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ocinom
Member since 2008 • 1385 Posts

[QUOTE="ocinom"]Hmmmmm Someone here doesn't have A 360 cause if you have then you wouldn't whine about paying $50 and please RRoD is such a lame excuse sireclaborn

yeah not buying something because it breaks is a lame excuse. he should just suck it up and spend hundreds on something that will break. but wait it can be fixed for free for three years so i can also have the chance to run to the post office and wait 2 weeks while my console is repaired. hope it doesn't break during gears 2 launch because im really screwed. having a 360 is so fun.

My point approved :lol:

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 KungfuKitten
[QUOTE="KungfuKitten"][QUOTE="ithilgore2006"][QUOTE="KungfuKitten"][QUOTE="Nocturnal15"]

ithilgore2006

You can make it sound like a lot, but the truth is it's just not a lot. You don't pay it at once, you pay it over a very long time. Five years, that's 1825 days, you really think 250 is a lot to pay over that amount of days? Your internet probably costs close to 50 a month, most do anyway, now thats a lot to pay, that's 600 a year, now that's a lot. $4 a month isn't, considering you do get a lot for it.

Who cares how long it takes for me to pay for it? I'd still have to pay 250 for my 5 years. Cutting it into pieces doesn't change a thing.
ithilgore2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ithilgore2006
[QUOTE="ithilgore2006"][QUOTE="KungfuKitten"][QUOTE="ithilgore2006"][QUOTE="KungfuKitten"][QUOTE="Nocturnal15"]

KungfuKitten

Who cares how long it takes for me to pay for it? I'd still have to pay 250 for my 5 years. Cutting it into pieces doesn't change a thing.

I can't see how it doesn't, to be honest.
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 KungfuKitten
[QUOTE="KungfuKitten"][QUOTE="ithilgore2006"][QUOTE="KungfuKitten"]
It's 250 for 5 years, and that just isn't worth it imo. It's not a question of being poor or not. I'd rather get a ps3 for that kind of money.ithilgore2006

It still costs me 250. I can cut it into days or years or whatever but that's what i have to pay for it in my case, if i would get a 360 with online. Paying per month makes it easier for me to get the money but it doesn't make it any cheaper. That's all i mean. If i cut everything into daily costs than it seems i'd just as well get me a car instead, it wouldn't cost that much more than Live.

The UK royals cost each citizen like 66 pence, which seems nothing. That's just an illusion. It makes them 40 million. If someone thinks that's too much then 66 pence per person isn't nothing; it's simply still too much.

Btw i'm dutch so.. like they say, where the dutch go the grass stops growing. I can be a bit harsh when it comes to money. You don't have to agree with me.

Pro_wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#42 Pro_wrestler
Member since 2002 • 7880 Posts

twopistols3k

How is grouping the price of XBL with the cost of your ISP a fair representation of your expenses? Your online, browsing the internet on your computer whether you subscribe to Live Gold or not.

"Buh buh t3h price of putting gas in my car doubles up with the actual car note, so you know, I'd rather not have a car at all" UGH what kind of logic is that.

Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Zhengi
[QUOTE="ithilgore2006"][QUOTE="KungfuKitten"][QUOTE="ithilgore2006"][QUOTE="KungfuKitten"]
It's 250 for 5 years, and that just isn't worth it imo. It's not a question of being poor or not. I'd rather get a ps3 for that kind of money.KungfuKitten

It still costs me 250. I can cut it into days or years or whatever but that's what i have to pay for it in my case, if i would get a 360 with online. Paying per month makes it easier for me to get the money but it doesn't make it any cheaper. That's all i mean. If i cut everything into daily costs than it seems i'd just as well get me a car instead, it wouldn't cost that much more than Live.

The UK royals cost each citizen like 66 pence, which seems nothing. That's just an illusion. It makes them 40 million. If someone thinks that's too much then 66 pence per person isn't nothing; it's simply still too much.

Btw i'm dutch so.. like they say, where the dutch go the grass stops growing. I can be a bit harsh when it comes to money. You don't have to agree with me.

Are you saying I can't get that Aston Martin for $2,650 a year? :( :cry:

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 KungfuKitten

Zhengi
Ow Zhengi, just pet me already.
Pro_wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#45 Pro_wrestler
Member since 2002 • 7880 Posts
[QUOTE="Nocturnal15"]

KungfuKitten

Your not serious, how is it marketing? Oh yeah cause first-time home buyers have $230,000 just lying around, and another $25,000 for a car..Screw bank loans and monthly payments, there should be no financing, only cash :P

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

having a 360 is so fun.

sireclaborn
Yes, it is.
Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Zhengi
[QUOTE="Zhengi"]

KungfuKitten

Ow Zhengi, just pet me already.

*pets KungfuKitten*

thesmiter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 thesmiter
Member since 2004 • 701 Posts

the 360 is great. i love fps games, and they're way better for the 360 than the ps3. my bro had a 360, so i bought a ps3. it has nothing good that the 360 doesn't have, barring metal gear, no backward compatability, and less people are online with the multiplatform games. my bro sold his. sad day for me... i'm thinking of trading in my ps3 for a 360. and i'm pretty sure the rrod is fixed on the new models. can't beat 300 for 60 gigs and tons of great fps games. oh yea, final fantasy is coming out for both systems, so there's your rpg.

end of rant...

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

KungfuKitten

I spend more than €5 a day on lunch which if added up through a whole year would cost 1825 euro , ofc i dont work everyday of the year and i dont buy lunch every day of the year but thats besides the point because i'm still spending alot more than €50 a year on something i dont need to be spending that much money on. Now i'm guessing you bring your own sandwiches/home cooked meals to work with you? because if €4 odd a month is gonna break the bank for you then paying for lunches must be out of the question right?,

Actually seeing as you like adding fees and costs up why dont you add up how much money you spend in 5 years on nights out (if you're old enough that is) ?

XBL is a very inexpensive luxury, if its not for you then thats fine you dont like XBL but dont even try and say its way too expensive.

winner-ps3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 winner-ps3
Member since 2007 • 2364 Posts

twopistols3k

fees do add up 4 years 200 bucks

im surprised these xbots dont care, MS is the only companie EVER to charge to play games online

i dont care how good it is, im not paying for it