The Witcher is the best role-playing experiance this gen.

• 119 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

The Witcher is the best role-playing game I have played all gen. The characters and story are great and the quests are also very fun to do. Its really unique in a way I must say. Its not like in most RPG's these days were theirs the whole "Moral" choices. Mainly just saying if your characters is good or evil. In the Witcher your choices are based on the opinion to your liking. Their is no real good or evil which I admire alot.

I just like almost everything about the Witcher. The Story, music,( 12) and the gameplay. I find it really sad to see The Witcher get overshadowed by other games like Mass Effect. I liked Mass Effect but I felt like the story lacked alot of depth and the majority of side missions were really bad. The Witcher is also a much more longer game clocking at 70 hours and managing to deliver a much better cinematic experience (at least for me.)

Snagal123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Snagal123
Member since 2006 • 3524 Posts

Yes, it the closest a RPG has come to the brillance of BG2 for me.

The choices are in the grey area, there is no good or evil choice, which makes them very hard to choose and worse to live with if it doesn't pan out how you hoped.

Have to say though i completed Mass Effect more times, just because iam a sucker for some sci-fi synth music! :D

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

It really is. The Witcher owns all.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#4 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
I still need to play this, everyone's been saying it's awesome.
Kicker_of_Cans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Kicker_of_Cans
Member since 2009 • 444 Posts

People will disagree, but not me. Before I played it I wasn't expecting much. But after Act I the game just blew my mind. The story is great and told well. The decisions you make are, at most of the time very important and the decisions are never in black and white. The only 2 criticism I can find for the game is the occasional odd writing in places, and that it was pretty buggy in certain places. But the role playing is engaging , as well as its fun combat, having great visuals pumped out of an old engine, and a very under-appreciated terrific musical score. I haven't played it since its first release, and only finished it once, but it was an experience to remember that's for sure. I still really like Mass Effect though, I just felt that it was missing a certain something. Can't figure out exactly what it is yet though.

kidcool189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kidcool189
Member since 2008 • 4307 Posts
i should probably give it another chance i tried it at a friends house a long while back, wasnt really feelin it, although most wrpg's like that are generally not my cup of tea, and this was all before the huge update to it although the best role playing experince so far this gen for me is certainly persona 4, although i am still on my first playthrough right now, but ive already put around 60-70 hours in, and there is easily another 15-20 hours of game to go, and in this point of time in the game, i cannot put the controller down whatsoever
Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts
I love it. But personally enjoyed Lost Odyssey more. I'm just a bigger JRPG fan
mijkil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mijkil
Member since 2004 • 546 Posts

Just no!

I couldnt bring myself to play it

My bro who loves rpgs so much he even forced himself to finish two worlds couldnt play mpre than a few hours.

An rpg with combat that is that awfull, cannot make up for that flaw with teh super awesome moral choices alone.

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 CaseyWegner
Member since 2002 • 70114 Posts

Just no!

My bro who loves rpgs so much he even forced himself to finish two worlds couldnt play mpre than a few hours.

An rpg with combat that is that awfull, cannot make up for that flaw with teh super awesome moral choices alone.

mijkil

what's wrong with the combat? :?

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JangoWuzHere

[QUOTE="mijkil"]

Just no!

CaseyWegner

what's wrong with the combat? :?

I ask that question at times as well. Their is nothing wrong with the combat. I find it very fun and it gets better when the game goes on. Honestly its not like the combat requires alot of patience either.
evilross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 evilross
Member since 2003 • 2076 Posts

The Witcher is pretty good, but it has its low points. The dialog is not all that well written, and combat is not all it could have been. I still think the Aurora Engine is to restrictive in alot of ways, its a great engine for user generated content, and small scale modules and adventures, but it just doesn't do large complex enviroments very well, and its limiting when it comes to design choices it offers develpers. I just could't shake the feeling that, although the overall plot of The Witcher was interesting, the actual gameplay and everything else had a huge "I have done this all before" feeling to it.

And the best RPG this gen so far is easily Demon's Souls.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JangoWuzHere

The Witcher is pretty good, but it has its low points. The dialog is not all that well written, and combat is not all it could have been. I still think the Aurora Engine is to restrictive in alot of ways, its a great engine for user generated content, and small scale modules and adventures, but it just doesn't do large complex enviroments very well, and its limiting when it comes to design choices it offers develpers. I just could't shake the feeling that, although the overall plot of The Witcher was interesting, the actual gameplay and everything else had a huge "I have done this all before" feeling to it.

evilross

Isn't Demon's soul only out in Japan?

Flamestos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Flamestos
Member since 2004 • 2487 Posts
[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

[QUOTE="evilross"]

Isn't Demon's soul only out in Japan?

Japan & Asia. The Asian version contains english text and voice so most gamers are importing it.
pyromaniac223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 pyromaniac223
Member since 2008 • 5896 Posts
It's tied between Mass Effect and The WItcher for me. Mass Effect has the edge on story, and The Witcher has the edge on quests and gameplay.
Flamestos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Flamestos
Member since 2004 • 2487 Posts
Are the console versions of The Witcher really cancelled?
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JangoWuzHere
Are the console versions of The Witcher really cancelled?Flamestos
No just postponed for now. Right now they are focusing more on The Witcher 2.
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JangoWuzHere
It's tied between Mass Effect and The WItcher for me. Mass Effect has the edge on story, and The Witcher has the edge on quests and gameplay.pyromaniac223
the story in Mass Effect lacked depth. The problem I had with the Witchers story was the confusing ending.
smack_masta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 smack_masta
Member since 2006 • 2748 Posts

Too bad I can't play it because they think my disk isn't the original when I put it in :(

ihsanqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ihsanqueen
Member since 2008 • 913 Posts

No, the best is still Fallout 3, even without the DLC.

Best RPG this gen is:

1. Fallout 3

2. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

3. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

4. Mass Effect

5. Persona 4

6. Valkyria Chronicles

7. The Witcher: Enhanced Edition

8. Fable 2

9. Tales of Vesperia

10. Disgaea 3

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JangoWuzHere

Too bad I can't play it because they think my disk isn't the original when I put it in :(

smack_masta

I never had that problem with my games. It must be a program you have running. And cannot get it running then simply download an cd crack.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JangoWuzHere

Best RPG this gen is:

1. Fallout 3

4. Mass Effect

5. Persona 4

6. Valkyria Chronicles

8. Fable 2

9. Tales of Vesperia

10. Disgaea 3

ihsanqueen

I personally think that list is really bad. Zelda isn't an RPG its an action adventure.I don't like JRPG's much. Oblivion is laughable at number 2. And Fallout 3 I thought was good but not great.

smack_masta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 smack_masta
Member since 2006 • 2748 Posts

[QUOTE="smack_masta"]

JangoWuzHere

I never had that problem with my games. It must be a program you have running. And cannot get it running then simply download an cd crack.

I read on the forums for the game it might be my virtual PC because it doesn't run if it detects a simulation program like daemon tool or whatever. I'll check out your suggestion.

Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts
Personally I kind of liked mass effect more (pc version, no bugs is win)
AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts

Best RPG this gen is:

1. Fallout 3

4. Mass Effect

5. Persona 4

6. Valkyria Chronicles

8. Fable 2

9. Tales of Vesperia

10. Disgaea 3

ihsanqueen
Oblivion at number 2? really now...
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#25 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49576 Posts
SystemWars has become BlogWars. Seriously, isn't this much more fitting in the Witcher's forum and/or PC games forum? :P
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#26 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49576 Posts
[QUOTE="AAllxxjjnn"] Oblivion at number 2? really now...

I didn't see him say "Vanilla" Oblivion... so......
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JangoWuzHere
SystemWars has become BlogWars. Seriously, isn't this much more fitting in the Witcher's forum and/or PC games forum? :PStevo_the_gamer
Ummm no? I said Mass Effect wasen't as good as the Witcher so it counts as SW material:)
killab2oo5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 killab2oo5
Member since 2005 • 13621 Posts

I was the loving the game when I first started playing it, but the more I played it the more boring it started getting.

IMO the combat gets very repetitive quickly and is unsatisfying. The storys pretty weak too. The concept of the story was great, but the cutscenes and story telling ruined it for me. Still a pretty good RPG (one of the best this gen).

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

I have to say Mass Effect and The Witcher are tied for best RPG this gen,although once DA origins comes out it can be a whole new ball game

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 JangoWuzHere

I was the loving the game when I first started playing it, but the more I played it the more boring it started getting.

IMO the combat gets very repetitive quickly and is unsatisfying. The storys pretty weak too. The concept of the story was great, but the cutscenes and story telling ruined it for me. Still a pretty good RPG (one of the best this gen).

killab2oo5

How so? I don't get it. I felt like the combat was on of the best parts of the game. The story is also one of the best this gen. How far did you get in the game?

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

It indeed it the best roleplaying experience, altough to be honest....it's not like it has any competition. The only other RPG this gen that attempted a real roleplaying was an expansion pack to NeverwinterNights 2

killab2oo5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 killab2oo5

[QUOTE="killab2oo5"]

JangoWuzHere

How so? I don't get it. I felt like the combat was on of the best parts of the game. The story is also one of the best this gen. How far did you get in the game?

You just did the same combos repeatedly. Once you find out what fighting style you need to use against your enemy there's no challenge. I got to....I can't remember which act. >.< Didn't get to beat the game thought because my save deleted itself apparently. Looking at Xfire, I was 48 hours into it.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JangoWuzHere

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

[QUOTE="killab2oo5"]

killab2oo5

You just did the same combos repeatedly. Once you find out what fighting style you need to use against your enemy there's no challenge. I got to....I can't remember which act. >.< Didn't get to beat the game thought because my save deleted itself apparently. Looking at Xfire, I was 48 hours into it.

No challenge? That is crap. The game does get harder when you go threw the game. I guess if you use alchemy alot then the game can get kinda easy because your constantly buffing your character during fights. but the boss fights in the later acts are pretty hard.

And how can you not remember which act you are on? Theirs 5 acts in the game along with a prologue and epilogue...And you also said you didn't finish the game so im going to say you diden't get all of the story so that complaint is sort of wasted.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
I have yet to actually play it, but its on my to do list.. The one thing that kind of irked me was you could not change the appearance of the main character..
killab2oo5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 killab2oo5

No challenge? That is crap. The game does get harder when you go threw the game. I guess if you use alchemy alot then the game can get kinda easy because your constantly buffing your character during fights. but the boss fights in the later acts are pretty hard.

And how can you not remember which act you are on? Theirs 5 acts in the game along with a prologue and epilogue...And you also said you didn't finish the game so im going to say you diden't get all of the story so that complaint is sort of wasted.

JangoWuzHere

:| I haven't played the game in MONTHS...that's how I forgot which act I'm on, and the game is easy, and I rarely used alchemy.

I played about 50 hours of the game and the story was pretty meh the entire way (and I said because of the crappy cutscenes and storytelling), what are the chances that the cutscenes and story telling will get better if they were sub-par the first 50 hours?

I have yet to actually play it, but its on my to do list.. The one thing that kind of irked me was you could not change the appearance of the main character..sSubZerOo
There are downloadable skins. Would be nice if you could change/upgrade individual equipment though.

rogerjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 rogerjak
Member since 2004 • 14950 Posts

The Witcher is indeed very good. I loved it to bits.

The combat was pretty good and the story itself was even more compelling. So was the world, man those environments sucked my in so much I played the damn game for hours without stopping.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

The Witcher is in my top 5 RPGs of all time. It's truly a pure RPG masterpiece.

I just hope developer won't ruin the sequel considering it'll be multiplatform.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

The Witcher is in my top 5 RPGs of all time. It's truly a pure RPG masterpiece.

I just hope developer won't ruin the sequel considering it'll be multiplatform.

IgGy621985

I have faith in them, PC version will surely be the main one with console ones being ports. There is simply a lot more money in PC version for CDP that console versions could ever hope to make

mr_mozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mr_mozilla
Member since 2006 • 2381 Posts
Perhaps the best role-playing experience, but imo not the best role-playing game. I just didn't like the combat and found the shallow character customization dissapointing. But the choices, consequences, gameworld, characters etc. they pulled of amazingly.
jasopan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 jasopan
Member since 2006 • 2360 Posts
Pretty good, but i never finished it =( my computer couldnt run it properlyxD
alextherussian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 alextherussian
Member since 2009 • 2642 Posts

The Witcher is the best role-playing game I have played all gen. The characters and story are great and the quests are also very fun to do. Its really unique in a way I must say. Its not like in most RPG's these days were theirs the whole "Moral" choices. Mainly just saying if your characters is good or evil. In the Witcher your choices are based on the opinion to your liking. Their is no real good or evil which I admire alot.

I just like almost everything about the Witcher. The Story, music,( 12) and the gameplay. I find it really sad to see The Witcher get overshadowed by other games like Mass Effect. I liked Mass Effect but I felt like the story lacked alot of depth and the majority of side missions were really bad. The Witcher is also a much more longer game clocking at 70 hours and managing to deliver a much better cinematic experience (at least for me.)

JangoWuzHere
Its really a shame that they canned/postponed the production of the console version.
dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

I whole heartedly agree with this opinion, and even made a thread about this last week.

EDIT - and the game actually made me laugh. I can't remember the last game I played that actually made me laugh...probably Psychonauts.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Out of most games it really does come close to coming out on top. However it is debateable.
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

Most people only use the swords and have no idea that you can move while fighting. They just click when the flaming sword pops up.

The way I fight, it looks like The Matrix or something. It's incredible how many animations there are, and how fluid they are...

Even more impressive is that all the fighting sty1es are based on real medieval techniques.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26649 Posts

Best RPG this gen is:

1. Fallout 3

4. Mass Effect

5. Persona 4

6. Valkyria Chronicles

8. Fable 2

9. Tales of Vesperia

10. Disgaea 3

ihsanqueen
What a bad list. lol The best was and still is The Witcher. It was hands down much better than Fallout 3. Oblivion at number 2? Ugh...
iki080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 iki080
Member since 2008 • 1085 Posts

yeah finished that game like 7 months ago..... simply beautiful

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26649 Posts
[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

alextherussian
Its really a shame that they canned/postponed the production of the console version.

It's fine, they are working on The Witcher 2 for PC. I'd much rather have that considering I already own the enhanced edition for PC. :P
Nagidar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Nagidar
Member since 2006 • 6231 Posts

Man, I really need to finish this game, I bought it but haven't had the time to really get into it.

PC360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 PC360Wii
Member since 2007 • 4658 Posts

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

[QUOTE="killab2oo5"]

killab2oo5

Hmmm, just wondering, what on earth you people did to get 48 hours on one play through... I beat the game in under 30, did pretty much all the side quests, all the sex cards ect (thats possible in 1 play though) on normal difficulty... mind boggeling, people tout it as a long game... if you play it multiple times maybe.
jwsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#50 jwsoul
Member since 2005 • 5468 Posts

It really is. The Witcher owns all.

Aljosa23

No its not Fallout 3 beats the living poo out of it. In every way imaginable Fallout 3 is better, i find it surprising that people say other wise. You talk about the choices in the Witcher being in the Grey area thats far from the truth in most encounters, its actually quite blatant what your actions will result in most of the time. Honestly if you can not see how vastly superior Fallout 3 is to Witcher you need to go back and play Fallout 3 its literally a work of art. While the Witcher although excellent is limited and on tracks throughout most of the game.

Guy above me if you played on Wimpy mode known as normal no wonder you finished it in 30 hours or less.

Dragonfire why dont you inform us how lol the Witcher is better than Fallout 3? I mean really come on tell use? Anyone?

Fallout 3 is the current pinacle of RPG games and may remain so for a long time, no other game is out where your reactions to the environment and NPCs within it can affect you surroundings so much. No other RPG game allows the player to manipulate so many different parts of the environment EG, Hacking computers to get information, trigger automated turrets, control robots, start up a factory processing line. How about the FACT that you have the ability to be Good, Neutral, Evil and most if not lol all NPCs react differently to your standing within the world.

Fallout 3 you can Allie with many different factions, you can become a cannibal, slaver, Paladin of sorts, the list gose on and on.