NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11821 Posts

Yup CD Projekt released a new financial chart that shows sales split between the platforms. In 2017 The Witcher 3 sales on PC were tied with both Xbox One and PS4 combined but afterwards was surpassed. Even with the new Nintendo Switch version the PC version managed to outsell all the consoles combined in 2019.

With more proof of PC having strong sales, hopefully this deters CD Projekt from downgrading the game because of consoles.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

The real story is the Switch version outselling the Xbox version in 2019.

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

Crazy Numbers! That is upwards of 25-30 mio copies they have sold in total! That’s almost gta numbers!!!

Also not to shabby with around 700.000 sales at full price on switch.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45510 Posts

Congrats to them, but who cares if PC outsold console?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44574 Posts

Yay? I mean as long as they are happy with how well their games sell on various platforms then I’m sure that they’ll continue to bring their games to those platforms. 🤷‍♂️

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Cows told me for 5+ years this wasn't true...

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Why don't they bring back the graphics that where downgraded on purpose for console parity now. I'm not a CD Projekt Red fanboy that gives them a pass but yet shames other companies when they do it.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

But PC gaming is dead, and will be deader with the upcoming next-gen consoles!!!1!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9 deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

They sold over 28 million witcher 3 units. They're going to pass the 30 million mark.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45510 Posts

@zaryia said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Cows told me for 5+ years this wasn't true...

There are plenty of console games that outsell their respective PC versions. Did that ever matter to you?

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Pretty sure that's because PC gamers are cheap when it comes to buying games. They don't value games at full price and are generally willing to wait years for a 90% discount. Add in last year's Netflix show popularity and you have the sales.

I'm actually still surprised that there were that many sales on PC considering how they love to pirate.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58530 Posts

"PC GAMING IS DYING!"

-Everyone, all the time.

@Telekill said:

...I'm actually still surprised that there were that many sales on PC considering how they love to pirate.

It's even more impressive when you consider the game is available, and has been available since day 1, on GoG with absolutely zero DRM.

The whole piracy argument is pointless; if you make a good product, people will buy it.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61534 Posts

@Telekill said:

Pretty sure that's because PC gamers are cheap when it comes to buying games. They don't value games at full price and are generally willing to wait years for a 90% discount. Add in last year's Netflix show popularity and you have the sales.

I'm actually still surprised that there were that many sales on PC considering how they love to pirate.

Dude, so many things.

Firstly, people are cheap in general, look at Black Friday in the States, and now in multiple countries. You assume they don't value games at full price, and i'll be the first to quash that, as I consistently buy solid, new games at full price.

As for your pirating comment, just do one and don't bother continuing that argument, unless you have meticulous data. Considering you didn't even give a max-min of PC gamers loving to pirate, and just went all in, it's just a jab.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61534 Posts

On topic, damn, this game deserved the sales. I wonder how many bought through GoG (non-DRM,) as opposed to Steam. GoG has been hugely popular the last couple years. Personally, I bought through Steam, as I like to keep my library fairly central.

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 sovkhan
Member since 2015 • 1591 Posts

On a year on year sales basis sure, but on the total period ( 2015-2019 ) Witcher 3 sold more on consoles .

VirusVaccine21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16 VirusVaccine21
Member since 2020 • 748 Posts

There are games that sell better on PC and vice versa. I have a lot of console centric friends who simply don't know or don't care about The Witcher, but have bought stuff like Fallout and Elder Scrolls.

I find it more to be a big game in the hardcore gaming community, which appeals to more PC gamers.

Also, judging by that charts, Witcher 3 still sold more on consoles overall. I'm too lazy right now, but looked at the chart and it appears it sold 7-8 million on the PS4 and 8-10 on the PC? Not by too much.

Eitherway, I'm just so happy this game has sold so much. My favourite this gen, a masterpiece.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

@Telekill: Pretty sure the 2nd hand market doesn't give CDPR money too, but hey, PC gamers LOVE to pirate...

INB4, "2nd hand is different from piracy."

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#18 adsparky  Online
Member since 2006 • 2607 Posts

That's hardly something to brag since the complete sales are:

• PC: ~12 million
  • PS4: ~ 10.8 million
  • Xbox One: ~ 4.3 million
  • Nintendo Switch: ~ 700,000
  • Total: ~28.3 million

Which means that even when PC version has outsold consoles for the last 3 years it hasn't outsold total sales for consoles.

Also means that it got more revenue from consoles since it got more units sold at full price in them.

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

Sales HAH

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5296 Posts

@Telekill said:

What is with the ignorant generalizations some console gamers have towards PC gamers?

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 16027 Posts

Oh wow, discounted price PC and consoles yet able to get 89% of shares compared to 11% full price on Switch. The game has a lot of buyers even in 2019 from the existing consoles.

VirusVaccine21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 VirusVaccine21
Member since 2020 • 748 Posts

@adsparky said:

Which means that even when PC version has outsold consoles for the last 3 years it hasn't outsold total sales for consoles.

Also means that it got more revenue from consoles since it got more units sold at full price in them.

I agree with your statement. Also, console gamers tend to move on much quicker with their products. So, Witcher selling more in the long run isn't necessarily great for CD Project since the biggest number of revenues will be in those initial sales. Since the gap isn't that big and you can buy the game now for less than $10, I'm guessing it probably generated more on the PS4.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:
@Telekill said:

Dude, so many things.

Firstly, people are cheap in general, look at Black Friday in the States, and now in multiple countries. You assume they don't value games at full price, and i'll be the first to quash that, as I consistently buy solid, new games at full price.

As for your pirating comment, just do one and don't bother continuing that argument, unless you have meticulous data. Considering you didn't even give a max-min of PC gamers loving to pirate, and just went all in, it's just a jab.

He's right though as hermits love to pirate. Lets be honest here for a second, every hermit on here has at least pirated one game in their life including you, not that you will admit it, because you think you have some squeaky clean image on here lol.

Also hermits when it comes to buying games are cheap bastards, spends hundreds/thousands on hardware and buy games on the cheap.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9154 Posts

Gorgeous game i love it

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59377 Posts

Quite damming.

CD Projekt have been impressively slick with their "pc gaming forever" shtick', but it's pretty obvious from the progression of the Witcher series they've been wanting to make a console style RPG all along, the fact this thing barely operated on a mouse/keyboard requiring a patch and still operated badly isn't something to be proud about.

Even many critics were fooled into the hype-train overlooking hugely glaring flaws, for which they should feel retrospective shame.

Props to their PR team, doing it again with Cyberpunk, no doubt soon to be a mechanically broken mess.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Quite damming.

CD Projekt have been impressively slick with their "pc gaming forever" shtick', but it's pretty obvious from the progression of the Witcher series they've been wanting to make a console style RPG all along, the fact this thing barely operated on a mouse/keyboard requiring a patch and still operated badly isn't something to be proud about.

Even many critics were fooled into the hype-train overlooking hugely glaring flaws, for which they should feel retrospective shame.

Props to their PR team, doing it again with Cyberpunk, no doubt soon to be a mechanically broken mess.

You're aware that PC supports all kind of controllers , I played this game for 4000 hrs cup and I used M&K the whole time , barely had a problem , dunno about you guys

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#27 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 25080 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Quite damming.

True. but in case of cyberpunk, its first person so controls and gameplay will be better this time.

if it was third person, then i would assume bad.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#28 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70469 Posts

Lol at it being downgraded because of consoles. When would folks accept that PC gaming holds the lowest spec.

Vaeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Vaeh
Member since 2016 • 957 Posts

Cyberpunk 2077 has more pre-orders on PC than consoles.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9902 Posts

Wow Ps4 really dominated the first year, wow! Lol pc gamers waiting for that steam sale to loyally support their favourite developer!

GodspellWH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By GodspellWH
Member since 2013 • 1078 Posts

@adsparky said:

PC in general generated more revenue per copy because it sold through GOG or Steam while the retail and console maker take a higher share for consoles. PC Games sold on GOG get 100% of the revenue at full price.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@NoodleFighter:

That game came in what 2015? Why would console gamers still buy that after 2018? Is anything that prove PC gamers waited until the game was at bargain price to get it.🤷‍♂️

GodspellWH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GodspellWH

@tormentos said:

@NoodleFighter:

That game came in what 2015? Why would console gamers still buy that after 2018? Is anything that prove PC gamers waited until the game was at bargain price to get it.🤷‍♂️

@Sushiglutton said:

Wow Ps4 really dominated the first year, wow! Lol pc gamers waiting for that steam sale to loyally support their favourite developer!

PC digital sales generate more revenue per copy because when sold in places like GOG they get all the profit.

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 sovkhan

@godspellwh:

Still pc revenue are nowhere near to those of the consoles side, with a mere 5.2Bn!!!

So...Hermits need to do better!!!

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46652 Posts

Can't believe around 700,000 people voluntarily suffered through the Switch version.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56435 Posts

@i_p_daily said:
@lundy86_4 said:
@Telekill said:

Dude, so many things.

He's right though as hermits love to pirate. Lets be honest here for a second, every hermit on here has at least pirated one game in their life including you, not that you will admit it, because you think you have some squeaky clean image on here lol.

Also hermits when it comes to buying games are cheap bastards, spends hundreds/thousands on hardware and buy games on the cheap.

All this talk on piracy, it goes both ways. Also about waiting to buy the games cheap, console users do the same damn thing. Hell in consoles, many people wait much longer to buy cheap than PC gamers do. Why anyone would pirate when CDKeys exist? Console piracy is just a tad harder, but far from impossible. Even on Xbox 360, its easier to pirate games and while PS3 is harder to pirate, pirated PS3 games exists.

If I really want a game, I buy it pre-order or the day it comes out, or the first chance I get... If I don't really care for a game on PC, I wait for it to go on sale and that way, when it turns out that I didn't really enjoy it, well at least it only cost me $10 instead of $60. So what's the issue of PC gamers wait to buy games cheaper? PC, mobile, consoles do this as well. At the end of the day, between PC & consoles, they both have their pros/cons, there is no clear cut winner, its all personal opinions.

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 sovkhan

@davillain-:

Sure you can look at it this way.

But the numbers show that within its first year of release, 68% of its revenues come from consoles and only 31% from pc!!!

Knowing that the bulk of money for any games is made within its first 2 years after, you can conclude that consoles lead the sales figures.

Global revenues show that clearly.

Piracy is everywhere, but all graphs show that consoles players spend more money on their AAA games than the pc side.

It's no mystery that 70% of all pc revenue are from the f2p model and this also doesn't help.

Unless there's a shift in this trend on the pc side, these numbers will remain the same imo.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8512 Posts

@adsparky said:

It also made more profit on PC than consoles. It further proves that games continue to sell on PC long after the initial years.

INB4 an idiot come here and say games don't sell on PC.

EDIT: Oh wait, he's already here DC'ing it with his numbers that were proven wrong multiple times.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 PC_Rocks

Good to know nobody cares about the impending death of consoles apart from a few 'niche' fanboys.

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 sovkhan

@pc_rocks:

Brace yourselves, PC_Clown, with no sources is back!!!

Long time no see!!! So any sources yet???

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#41  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19688 Posts

Console software sales tend to be more heavily front-loaded. Most of the sales usually come from the launch period.

PC software sales tend to have more legs. They're less front-loaded, but have more longevity over a lengthy period of time.

The most effective strategy for publishers to maximize sales is to focus on consoles during the launch period, and then shift focus to PC after the launch period.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9839 Posts

@Juub1990: Is it? A game selling 1% better in its first year on one console than in its fifth year on another?

I mean, if it had sold better in its first year on switch than on its first year on xbox then yeah....but that didnt happen.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By PC_Rocks

@Jag85 said:

Console software sales tend to be more heavily front-loaded. Most of the sales usually come from the launch period.

PC software sales tend to have more legs. They're less front-loaded, but have more longevity over a lengthy period of time.

The most effective strategy for publishers to maximize sales is to focus on consoles during the launch period, and then shift focus to PC after the launch period.

Another thing that makes this very bad for consoles future is that you need a hafty marketing budget in order to compete and then the associated logstic costs. Development is also tends to be costly on the console side.

PC has none of those overheads and word of mouth tends to do wonders on PC.

Sky rocketing production costs will further compound these issues. It's no wonder why even first party games are started to appear on PC.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#44 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70469 Posts

Lets see, can I play The Witcher 3 on

PC: Yes

PS4: Yes

Xbox One: Yes

Switch: Yes

What is the issue again?

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 sovkhan

@Pedro:

Just numbers!!!

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56435 Posts

Would be nice to know what client store sold the most? GoG would be my best guess and Steam second place.

@sovkhan said:

@davillain-:

But the numbers show that within its first year of release, 68% of its revenues come from consoles and only 31% from pc!!!

Knowing that the bulk of money for any games is made within its first 2 years after, you can conclude that consoles lead the sales figures.

Piracy is everywhere, but all graphs show that consoles players spend more money on their AAA games than the pc side.

It's no mystery that 70% of all pc revenue are from the f2p model and this also doesn't help.

Unless there's a shift in this trend on the pc side, these numbers will remain the same imo.

Fair view on the current PC situation. Yes piracy is everywhere around the globe, but as its as I said, consoles are hard to pirate which is why they tend to lead more sell figures then anywhere else. But in another way, PC exclusives such as Alyx, Total War: Three Kingdoms, & Disco Elysium proves the sells are on the rise on PC vs piracy. Will all this change when PS5/XSX release? Not really. It probably won't change for a long time.

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 sovkhan

@davillain-:

That AAA games exclusives are doing great on pc is a good start.

As PC gamers we should support that.

Piracy got nothing to do with a new gen, more with economic reasons.

The paradox is clamoring high end gpu while waiting for summer sales.

With no support from us no industry can flourish, and we will be going the f2p model route.

Which is such a shame for the most potent platform!!!!

GodspellWH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GodspellWH

@sovkhan said:

@davillain-:

70% source? lol

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#49 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19688 Posts
@watercrack445 said:

They sold over 28 million witcher 3 units. They're going to pass the 30 million mark.

That's including the expansion packs. We don't know how much Witcher 3: Wild Hunt sold on its own.

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 sovkhan

@godspellwh:

Here :