The time has come: Reboot Metal Gear Solid

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gatech29499

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Gatech29499
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

I finished playing Ground Zeros, and all I can say is one thing: The plot is stupid at this point.

It's just too convoluted and has so many plot points that are so incredibly unjustified. Also, there is simply too much dependent story content, that so little people have kept up with. It would be easier if the stories were easier to digest, or if there were modern remakes of the game. However, there aren't. Playing through old MGS titles (especially 2), is an absolute pain, because they have aged horribly. I genuinely think very little people, even fans of the series like me, have any clue what's going on in the story. It's not because of how much story content there is. It's because there's too many conflicting details-- and the story is largely comprised of these.

Do you think just scrapping the story and starting over again is a horrible idea?

Seriously, let's just start from the beginning. Let's have Snake infiltrate Shadow Moses looking for nuclear capability, and in the process find a Metal Gear. Let's scrap everything else and come up with details. I think it's a better alternative to making endless ill-contained content at this point. It's why this series is declining in popularity. These games shouldn't be 75% cutscene either (which MGS4 honestly is) but rather have story telling more similar to the ratio in Uncharted.

And maybe this will be an absolute horrible thing for me to say but: let a western studio do it. The idea behind MGS is great I think. I just think the execution could be way better. Give it to a studio like RockSteady or Crystal Dynamics. I'm not even kidding...

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

SW isn't really the place for this, nor do you have the requisite number of posts to make a thread

CyberLips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By CyberLips
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

You need 500 posts to make a thread on System Wars.

Gatech29499

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Gatech29499
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

@CyberLips said:

If this is true, lol @ the web developers.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts
@gatech29499 said:

@CyberLips said:

yeah. silly eh?

the web site has undergone a massive upgrade, and they still have to manually police things like this. seems redundant to me. would be like using microsoft excel, but doing all the maths on a calculator then typing it in.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

Wait, there was a point when Metal Gear's storyline *wasn't* stupid and convoluted?

rabakill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 rabakill
Member since 2004 • 884 Posts

Yes reboot. The games need better gameplay, more action and more direct storytelling. I have absolutely no desire to play any metal gear solid game in the near future.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

The plot has always been stupid and I love the games for it.

As for you not understanding whats going on in GZ I really don't see why. Unless you missed out on Portable Ops and more importantly Peace Walker. As convoluted as the series may be, the only game that fails to mesh with the others is MGS4. The Big Boss games are especially easy to follow.

As for a reboot, I say yes. Only because they don't really have a choice. The story has looped back around. The only place they can go from here is to remake MG1 and MG2, do a game featuring The Boss in WW2, or go beyond MGS4 with a new protagonist. None of which sound all that great.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@rabakill said:

Yes reboot. The games need better gameplay, more action and more direct storytelling. I have absolutely no desire to play any metal gear solid game in the near future.

Funny because what you just described is exactly what we're getting with MGSV. Ground Zeroes pretty much proves that.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#10 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

@CrownKingArthur said:
@gatech29499 said:

@CyberLips said:

yeah. silly eh?

the web site has undergone a massive upgrade, and they still have to manually police things like this. seems redundant to me. would be like using microsoft excel, but doing all the maths on a calculator then typing it in.

I wouldn't call this new Web design an upgrade.

CyberLips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#11 CyberLips
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

@Demonjoe93 said:

@CrownKingArthur said:

yeah. silly eh?

Some aspects i consider to be upgraded but i prefer the way it used to be.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts
@Demonjoe93 said:

@CrownKingArthur said:
@gatech29499 said:

yeah. silly eh?

lol. that's a good joke!

yeah from gamespot's perspective they've upgraded their forum software, but for users the experience is ... well, each user can decide. i mean massive as in, they certainly made drastic changes.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#13 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@PannicAtack said:

Wait, there was a point when Metal Gear's storyline *wasn't* stupid and convoluted?

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@PannicAtack said:

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

They should just move on from the Metal Gear storyline and explore a new one. I though it was all over after 4. They should have just started a new plot with old snake.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17658 Posts

The only MG with a half decent story was MGS, and even then by the end it started to get into nonsense. I say remake MGS with the Fox Engine, that would be fucking amazing. But for all that's Holy, get Kojima away from the pen, he's even admitted he really doesn't know what he's doing......he makes things up as he goes along, and it shows.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Sure, I'm down for that.

I'll give Kojima props for MGS3's ending and some actually excellent moments in Peace Walker.

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

The only game Kojima should reboot is Snatcher,but he´s a one trick pony and all he does is MGS now.

UnbiasedPoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By UnbiasedPoster
Member since 2013 • 1134 Posts

@gatech29499 said:

@CyberLips said:

They're just trying to keep us, the little man, down.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

Hi Gatech and welcome to gamespot.

But I need to bring you up to speed on a rule specific to the System Wars board. Particularly that users must have at least 500 posts before they can create new threads here.

Please refer to the Survival Guide sticky.