The Order is going to be a linear, story-based "filmic" game inspired

• 177 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

So, exactly what kind of game is The Order: 1886?

Ru Weerasuriya: The Order is a third person action adventure with shooting mechanics. Its very much story-based its a linear story-based game. Were trying to tell a story. Its what we call a filmic experience.

"We're trying to give people that similar sense of entertainment. Entertainment comes in big Hollywood blockbusters and small indie movies - it's that. Games don't do that enough. "

GD1551

A0JKo9a.png

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#102 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

lol movie-games. lmao consoles.

Jankarcop

Isnt the last "great" PC game a game where you do nothing but walk in a house and read stuff? Yeah, such great gameplay PC games have...

g0ddyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 g0ddyX
Member since 2005 • 3914 Posts

Jumping the bandwagon already. We haven't seen the gameplay, nor know the story.

One could argue those games with simple fun gameplay suffer with a poor story, bad graphics and technicality.

Take Angry Birds for example, simple fun, short, smooth.. nothing immersing or ground breaking, good its own way.
Uncharted 2 has the story, graphics AND GAMEPLAY amongst other things like online which make it, one of the BEST games.

The best games are the combination of it ALL. ie Half Life, Grand Theft Auto Series, Mass Effect, Skyrim, Metal Gear Solid, etc.

Are story games too complex for kids? A plot and theme has been in games since the beginning and its continually developing.

Rather have a deep strong stunning and rememberable game than a simple, backtracking, repetitive game.
All part of the experience.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#104 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

That's funny. So what looks like it could have been a cool game will be another generic shooter.

MercenaryMafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 MercenaryMafia
Member since 2011 • 2917 Posts
I need to see gameplay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Jumping the bandwagon already. We haven't seen the gameplay, nor know the story.

One could argue those games with simple fun gameplay suffer with a poor story, bad graphics and technicality.

Take Angry Birds for example, simple fun, short, smooth.. nothing immersing or ground breaking, good its own way.
Uncharted 2 has the story, graphics AND GAMEPLAY amongst other things like online which make it, one of the BEST games.

The best games are the combination of it ALL. ie Half Life, Grand Theft Auto Series, Mass Effect, Skyrim, Metal Gear Solid, etc.

Are story games too complex for kids? A plot and theme has been in games since the beginning and its continually developing.

Rather have a deep strong stunning and rememberable game than a simple, backtracking, repetitive game.

g0ddyX

QFT

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#107 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11514 Posts

[QUOTE="Zaibach"]

How about we wait to see the gameplay before prematurely ejaculating ignorance all over your keyboards

Vatusus

This

And LOL @ idiots calling this "Uncharted" just because its cinematic as if Uncharted was the pioneer in cinematic games... :roll:

I think the comparison is coming from this being a linear cinematic story driven TPS which was what Uncharted was. Same genre and same focus.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Pikminmaniac

g0ddyX

Too bad Uncharted's story was super simple and pretty bad and despite all this the developers forced it down our throats by ruining the gameplay with too many cutscenes and whole chapters that were completely terrible from a gameplay perspective (the opening act, museum heist, ice cave, any portion where you have to climb) just to support a bad plot. I'd rather a solid gameplay experience that doesn't sacrifice quality gameplay and thoughtful design in the service of a brain dead story.

Metroid Prime did it better than any other game I played. The story was told by your surroundings. It was up to you to explore your environment and use your brain to piece together the story. You were always in control and the gameplay was always in tact.

Tighaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 Tighaman
Member since 2006 • 1038 Posts

I'm going to say it again for the Sony fanboys prepare yourself for pretty games that are linear and open world games that are empty.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts

You should try posting everything he said.

It's not about one event following another. It's really about how the craft of making a movie is different from the craft of making a game. We are different as industries, but we have so much commonality. One gap we haven't bridged yet is that we create engines, cameras and lighting. All those things are done for the purpose of a game, in a very game centric way. We decided, okay, let's make the gameplay, but let's take the techniques we've seen in movies.

"Like lenses. How do lenses work? We felt we could build gameplay and at the same time build lenses that were real. In the engine, the lenses we shoot with I actually emulated from real lenses I've used to shoot photography. The guy who directs the game with me has done the same. He does cinematography. I do photography in my free time.

"Graphically it's not a question of making things look better because it's a new generation. It's not in how many polygons or how much better the fidelity is. It's those little techniques like chromatic aberration, like lens distortion.

"How do we build lighting and atmosphere around lighting? On movie sets lights are not just lights. They have a light, but they create with smoke or whatever an atmosphere to give this glow to the light that is kinda fake, but in movies you excuse it because you expect it and it's really cool. You're like, wow, that shot has so much depth. It's got atmosphere. It's got thickness. It's got grittiness. That was the stuff we wanted to bring to games.

"That's filmic."

TL;DR Version: He was talking about the presentation and atmosphere of the game. 

Nonstop-Madness
I'm gonna quote this so more can see since apparently you're all a bunch of morons and love to take shit out of context.
Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#111 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14502 Posts

[QUOTE="Basinboy"][QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"] no linear is fine except when its stupid linear and you literally have no choice or variety in what your doing and what your fighting. the problem here is its a linear story based FILMIC video game which pretty much means heavy rain or the low interactive movie sequences in uncharted.WilliamRLBaker
The linearity of GOW never was a concern for me, I enjoyed it all the same. I imagine it'll be more along those lines (and Uncharted-esque) than Heavy Rain And if you want an example of horrible linearity, look no further than this trainwreck:

that is the linearity to which was I referring when it comes to stupid linearity no real choice where you go, no variety to what your doing, no variety to enemies. As for that why are you bringing up GOW? Since while it had a set path what you did and how you tackled the enemies and obstacles infront of you were left up to you.

And you couldn't make the same choices about who to kill first in UC2 or Halo?

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Pikminmaniac

[QUOTE="Nonstop-Madness"]

It's not about one event following another. It's really about how the craft of making a movie is different from the craft of making a game. We are different as industries, but we have so much commonality. One gap we haven't bridged yet is that we create engines, cameras and lighting. All those things are done for the purpose of a game, in a very game centric way. We decided, okay, let's make the gameplay, but let's take the techniques we've seen in movies.

"Like lenses. How do lenses work? We felt we could build gameplay and at the same time build lenses that were real. In the engine, the lenses we shoot with I actually emulated from real lenses I've used to shoot photography. The guy who directs the game with me has done the same. He does cinematography. I do photography in my free time.

"Graphically it's not a question of making things look better because it's a new generation. It's not in how many polygons or how much better the fidelity is. It's those little techniques like chromatic aberration, like lens distortion.

"How do we build lighting and atmosphere around lighting? On movie sets lights are not just lights. They have a light, but they create with smoke or whatever an atmosphere to give this glow to the light that is kinda fake, but in movies you excuse it because you expect it and it's really cool. You're like, wow, that shot has so much depth. It's got atmosphere. It's got thickness. It's got grittiness. That was the stuff we wanted to bring to games.

"That's filmic."

TL;DR Version: He was talking about the presentation and atmosphere of the game. 

AcidSoldner

I'm gonna quote this so more can see since apparently you're all a bunch of morons and love to take shit out of context.

It still doesn't negate this quote

"The Order is a third person action adventure with shooting mechanics. Its very much story-based its a linear story-based game. Were trying to tell a story"

Far_RockNYC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 Far_RockNYC
Member since 2012 • 1244 Posts

Can i have a link? 

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

only film type games i like are from quantic dream.

everything else? zzzzzzzzzzzz.

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#115 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

[QUOTE="Vatusus"]

[QUOTE="Zaibach"]

How about we wait to see the gameplay before prematurely ejaculating ignorance all over your keyboards

Pikminmaniac

This

And LOL @ idiots calling this "Uncharted" just because its cinematic as if Uncharted was the pioneer in cinematic games... :roll:

I think the comparison is coming from this being a linear cinematic story driven TPS which was what Uncharted was. Same genre and same focus.

look I will only reply to you this once because your hatred of anything Uncharted is borderline religious, WE HAVE NOT SEEN ANYTHING FROM THE GAME.

letting the words U.C.H.A.R.T.E.D cloud all your reasoning is astoundingly short-sighted.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#116 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60722 Posts
By golly that sounds good to me. Like all world class Sony exclusives, day fvcking 1. Awwwww yeahhhh.
II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#117 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts
Love when people hate on a game before anything is even shown lol.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

[QUOTE="Pikminmaniac"]

[QUOTE="Vatusus"]

This

Zaibach

look I will only reply to you this once because your hatred of anything Uncharted is borderline religious, WE HAVE NOT SEEN ANYTHING FROM THE GAME.

letting the words U.C.H.A.R.T.E.D cloud all your reasoning is astoundingly short-sighted.

Tell me about it. One could swear Uncharted killed his parents or somethin...

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

[QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

Vatusus

Isnt the last "great" PC game a game where you do nothing but walk in a house and read stuff? Yeah, such great gameplay PC games have...

You walk around a house, solve some puzzles, and slowly piece together what happened with your sister. It's far more comparable to games like Myst than it is to big setpiece, movie games like Uncharted. 

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts

[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"][QUOTE="Nonstop-Madness"]

"That's filmic."

Pikminmaniac

It still doesn't negate this quote

"The Order is a third person action adventure with shooting mechanics. Its very much story-based its a linear story-based game. Were trying to tell a story"

Kinda does considering when he said "filmic" and "cinematic" he was referring to the presentation of the game (graphics & aesthetics) not the gameplay progression which you all seem inclined to cling on to. Being linear and story based doesn't mean it'll be similar to Uncharted and the like. Bioshock and Half-Life 2 are great examples of that.
Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Zaibach

[QUOTE="Zaibach"]

[QUOTE="Pikminmaniac"]

Vatusus

Tell me about it. One could swear Uncharted killed his parents or somethin...

Dude... I dunno if you knew this, but Uncharted 2 did kill his puppy.

It was just a random system warrior monday afternoon, browsing the forums and playing some pikmin when all of a sudden, Nathan Drake busted down the door in cinematic flash. He ran down the linear corridors of the house as if it was all he knew until he found the puppy. There he killed the puppy in cold blood, all the while, cracking jokes as he murdered. He escaped the crime scene using cookie-cutter-hold-your-hand-platforming.

When the police finally got him, they tried to press charges but Drake got away with it because his graphics were too good.

lol never got thank the guy who originally posted this

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

[QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

Vatusus

There's a difference though.

Interactive story-telling is the main thing that sets video games above other mediums. You don't simply watch a story unfold, or read it, or listen to it. You yourself are involved in the story unfolding in front of you.

There are dozens upon dozens of examples of "cinematic/filmic" video games that don't do that at all though. The only interaction tends to come from you slaughtering hundreds of people as a super soldier, and the story unfolds during cutscenes, or set pieces that your character's vision is funneled towards. The story is completely out of your hands, and it's a huge problem to how game designers create their games. They aren't using the strengths of the medium to tell their stories. They're giving you a two hour movie with intermissions every 5 minutes to go kill bad guys.

When a developer says their intention is to mimic the style of entertainment that movies bring us then it has me very worried about what the game will be like.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Pikminmaniac

[QUOTE="Pikminmaniac"]

[QUOTE="Vatusus"]

This

Zaibach

But the developers said it... It's a TPS that's focused on the story.

Shensolidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Shensolidus
Member since 2003 • 931 Posts

Here is what I don't get - there was a group of people, and still are, that are disappointed in MP-only shooters, and aren't interested unless there is a singleplayer component. Let's consider this also, almost ALL of the biggest games announced or shown at E3 this year (The Crew, The Division, Destiny, Dragon Age Inquisition, Dead Rising 3, Watch_Dogs, AC4, inFamous SS, MGS5) are all open world, non-traditional linear titles. We have a more diverse lineup of genres and are finally getting amazing open world games from a variety of sources and franchises. And somehow, linear games are still considered a bane?

The experience that they are setting up in The Order flys in the face of all that, and gives gamers who are interested in a more set-piece, story driven experience something that they can enjoy. And yet somehow, **** those guys? There is literally no way of pleasing gamers.

If you don't like games like Uncharted or if you feel that 'linear' is a dirty word that prevents you from enjoying games, then please understand that they aren't trying to sell you anything else. The developers of these kind of games are telling you upfront what they are and why they are that way and are doing the hard, thankless work it takes to make them awesome and incredibly compelling experiences. If you don't enjoy them, fine, but don't think developers are obligated to target YOUR tastes and YOUR tastes alone. Its reasoning like that that got us the cookie-cutter CoD-style games and multiplayers from almost all FPS's this generation.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
Well, there goes all of my interest.
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52452 Posts
Digging the setting. Excited for this. I know Ready at Dawn is gonna bring the ruckus.
cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 cfisher2833

[QUOTE="Vatusus"]

[QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

treedoor

There's a difference though.

Interactive story-telling is the main thing that sets video games above other mediums. You don't simply watch a story unfold, or read it, or listen to it. You yourself are involved in the story unfolding in front of you.

There are dozens upon dozens of examples of "cinematic/filmic" video games that don't do that at all though. The only interaction tends to come from you slaughtering hundreds of people as a super soldier, and the story unfolds during cutscenes, or set pieces that your character's vision is funneled towards. The story is completely out of your hands, and it's a huge problem to how game designers create their games. They aren't using the strengths of the medium to tell their stories. They're giving you a two hour movie with intermissions every 5 minutes to go kill bad guys.

When a developer says their intention is to mimic the style of entertainment that movies bring us then it has me very worried about what the game will be like.

I like you more everyday good sir :oops:

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

[QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

Vatusus

better then movies

vincent380

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 vincent380
Member since 2003 • 2244 Posts
Cant wait i will probably end up getting it.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#130 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44690 Posts
" Its very much story-based its a linear story-based game. Were trying to tell a story. Its what we call a filmic experience. " sounds just like the shit cows eat up
Mr-Kutaragi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 Mr-Kutaragi
Member since 2013 • 2466 Posts
You expect open world and to hijacking carriage? What side mission, hunting mice and preventing spread of disease? Sometimes I wonder who is smarter, gamespot forum member or brain damage victim. Story base and mature film experience is expected by higher class sony gamer. Xbox and nintendo gamer cannot handle nuance and mature storyline, need dudebro saving wife or hologram stripper or cute cartoon figure saving world. Work for TLoU and no doubt Order will be great with Santa Monica.
finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

[QUOTE="g0ddyX"]

Pikminmaniac

Too bad Uncharted's story was super simple and pretty bad and despite all this the developers forced it down our throats by ruining the gameplay with too many cutscenes and whole chapters that were completely terrible from a gameplay perspective (the opening act, museum heist, ice cave, any portion where you have to climb) just to support a bad plot. I'd rather a solid gameplay experience that doesn't sacrifice quality gameplay and thoughtful design in the service of a brain dead story.

Metroid Prime did it better than any other game I played. The story was told by your surroundings. It was up to you to explore your environment and use your brain to piece together the story. You were always in control and the gameplay was always in tact.

Yea im guessing you me and you played two different games.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#133 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

" Its very much story-based its a linear story-based game. Were trying to tell a story. Its what we call a filmic experience. " sounds just like the shit cows eat uplamprey263

They've been defensive as f*ck over the last couple of pages, oozing insecurity like crazy. Watch out, they might squirt their milk all over this thread.

trollhunter2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#134 trollhunter2
Member since 2012 • 2054 Posts

should every game be open world now :? I guess that you guys would hate games like super mario world, god of war, gears of war and so on...

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 Zaibach

[QUOTE="lamprey263"]" Its very much story-based its a linear story-based game. Were trying to tell a story. Its what we call a filmic experience. " sounds just like the shit cows eat upLucianu

They've been defensive as f*ck over the last couple of pages, oozing insecurity like crazy. Watch out, they might squirt their milk all over this thread.

:|:o:lol:

Pariah_001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 Pariah_001
Member since 2003 • 4850 Posts

Great, the one PS exclusive I was looking forward to is going to be trash like uncharted.

GD1551

Suuuuuuuure you were.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

[QUOTE="GD1551"]Great, the one PS exclusive I was looking forward to is going to be trash like uncharted.

Pariah_001

Suuuuuuuure you were.

Why wouldn't I be? The only console I'm getting is the PS4.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts

Ru Weerasuriya: The Order is a third person action adventure with shooting mechanics. Its very much story-based its a linear story-based game. Were trying to tell a story. Its what we call a filmic experience.

"We're trying to give people that similar sense of entertainment. Entertainment comes in big Hollywood blockbusters and small indie movies - it's that. Games don't do that enough. "

GD1551

Great, the one PS exclusive I was looking forward to is going to be trash like uncharted.

linear =/= trash? lol whats with this mindset. And uncharted is great. You cant really disagree GD1551 since you like to use reviewers/websites opinions (see: that killzone/driveclub thread you made) since they praised the uncharted games and gave them numerous awards.
PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts
Well, this game just became about 100x more interesting. Linear ftw.
aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Sounds great, some times linear games feels better than all these open world games:)

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
Not shocked, its a Sony game.
silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
that sucks but then i enjoyed both metro titles....
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

campzor

linear =/= trash? lol whats with this mindset. And uncharted is great. You cant really disagree GD1551 since you like to use reviewers/websites opinions (see: that killzone/driveclub thread you made) since they praised the uncharted games and gave them numerous awards.

I used those because you PS fanboys were hating on titanfall without even playing it or it being released and spreading false information like it was COD. UC1 and UC3 has released so I can have my take on them and here I'm merely repeating what the devs themselves have said.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#144 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts

Im fine with that... not all games can be open world. I was getting affraid next gen would be open world one after the other.

ManatuBeard
Same here.. I like open world games, bu they are very time consuming and its nice to have linear games that focus on story and atmosphere.
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#145 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
If it's well told, the game doesn't consiste of corridor shooting then i am fine with it. Not every game needs a sandbox open world
cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 cfisher2833

[QUOTE="ManatuBeard"]

Im fine with that... not all games can be open world. I was getting affraid next gen would be open world one after the other.

Rattlesnake_8

Same here.. I like open world games, bu they are very time consuming and its nice to have linear games that focus on story and atmosphere.

Yes, because obviously the only possible options are completely open world or incredibly linear, corridor shooter :roll:

Devil-Itachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 Devil-Itachi
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts
Enjoy linear games but hearing that it is story-based is a turn off.
zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#148 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

Still haven't seen gameplay, so I am neither more or less excited for this than I was before I read what was said. 

But this certainly won't be a problem for me. 

Pariah_001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 Pariah_001
Member since 2003 • 4850 Posts

[QUOTE="Pariah_001"]

[QUOTE="GD1551"]Great, the one PS exclusive I was looking forward to is going to be trash like uncharted.

GD1551

Suuuuuuuure you were.

Why wouldn't I be? The only console I'm getting is the PS4.

I believe you. I do.

I really really really really really really don't...

...I mean do!

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#150 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts
TLOU was one of the best linear games I've played. There is a place in entertainment for them. Imagine every movie as a dark, gloomy, drama. BORING. I don't see why people want all games to be the same, then cry for something new. Im looking forward to the Order