The Order is going to be a linear, story-based "filmic" game inspired

• 177 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

So, exactly what kind of game is The Order: 1886?

Ru Weerasuriya: The Order is a third person action adventure with shooting mechanics. Its very much story-based its a linear story-based game. Were trying to tell a story. Its what we call a filmic experience.

"We're trying to give people that similar sense of entertainment. Entertainment comes in big Hollywood blockbusters and small indie movies - it's that. Games don't do that enough. "

Great, the one PS exclusive I was looking forward to is going to be trash like uncharted.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
Cows are used to that type of game anyway
Avatar image for deactivated-660c2894dc19c
deactivated-660c2894dc19c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 deactivated-660c2894dc19c
Member since 2004 • 2190 Posts

Why so many developer tries to do movies instead of games? 

ramonnl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ramonnl
Member since 2010 • 769 Posts

Not a game for me, need to see more first.

Consternated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Consternated
Member since 2013 • 848 Posts
Meh.
ManatuBeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ManatuBeard
Member since 2012 • 1121 Posts

Im fine with that... not all games can be open world. I was getting affraid next gen would be open world one after the other.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

*hype cancelled*

still like the visuals, though.

chapnzaba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#8 chapnzaba
Member since 2005 • 2302 Posts
Every game MUST be open world

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Every game MUST be open world chapnzaba

cheers

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts

Well duh, it's Santa Monica Studio and Ready at Dawn after all. :P

I think people do get hype way too fast before seeing gameplay.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#11 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
Yeah... Good luck with that.
ManatuBeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ManatuBeard
Member since 2012 • 1121 Posts

I would go with 60% open world, 25% linear and 15% hybrid (some parts linear, others open)

Razor_defiace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Razor_defiace
Member since 2004 • 1618 Posts

If it ends up being great, what's the problem? Most of the console games are linear experiences with filmic qualities.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46482 Posts

I don't see the problem. The GOW games from Santa Monica and Ready At Dawn were the same. And I thought they were excellent games.

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#15 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts
Don't know about you guys, but I usually don't play video games for cinematic experiences. That's what films are for.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Don't know about you guys, but I usually don't play video games for cinematic experiences. That's what films are for.drinkerofjuice

EXACTLY.

games for fun gameplay. good story is a plus, though, but not required.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#17 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14499 Posts

When discussing your game, you should just avoid the word "linear" entirely.  It carries a negative connotation but many of the best/funnest games ever made are generally linear.  Halo:CE, Half-Life 2, Uncharted 2 - altering the structure/flow does not automatically a great game make. 

Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
ninjapirate2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ninjapirate2000
Member since 2008 • 3347 Posts

meh

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

Great, the one PS exclusive I was looking forward to is going to be trash like uncharted.

GD1551
sigh...Uncharted was nothing close to trash.
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

jer_1

Well UC1 and UC3 aren't very good in my book, and I have no issue with the game being linear either. I'm more annoyed about the stuff in the other part of my thread title.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

When discussing your game, you should just avoid the word "linear" entirely.  It carries a negative connotation but many of the best/funnest games ever made are generally linear.  Halo:CE, Half-Life 2, Uncharted 2 - altering the structure/flow does not automatically a great game make. 

Basinboy
no linear is fine except when its stupid linear and you literally have no choice or variety in what your doing and what your fighting. the problem here is its a linear story based FILMIC video game which pretty much means heavy rain or the low interactive movie sequences in uncharted.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Basinboy

you are right, but my personal opinion is that games like Half-Life would be even better if they were open world.

i'm all over this thread...

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 Sushiglutton  Online
Member since 2009 • 9874 Posts
Can be great if done well (like TLOU). Can be terrible if done wrong (like MOH). We'll have to see.
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Yeah this was said near E3. It's old news. It's why I had no hype for this game at all. I hate games like these. Linearity isn't inherantly a bad thing, but when you throw in words like story driven and filmic, it usually means gameplay and level design are an afterthought to the developers.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#25 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14499 Posts
[QUOTE="Basinboy"]

WilliamRLBaker
no linear is fine except when its stupid linear and you literally have no choice or variety in what your doing and what your fighting. the problem here is its a linear story based FILMIC video game which pretty much means heavy rain or the low interactive movie sequences in uncharted.

The linearity of GOW never was a concern for me, I enjoyed it all the same. I imagine it'll be more along those lines (and Uncharted-esque) than Heavy Rain And if you want an example of horrible linearity, look no further than this trainwreck:
Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Sushiglutton  Online

Yeah this was said near E3. It's old news. It's why I had no hype for this game at all. I hate games like these. Linearity isn't inherantly a bad thing, but when you throw in words like story driven and filmic, it usually means gameplay and level design are an afterthought to the developers.

Pikminmaniac
I think level design in particular is much harder for these cinematic games. The devs want to handcraft unique levels throughout the entire game, which requires more thought than the "step into a room, kill all bad guys" kind of levels in a more "pure" game. I agree the core gameplay is usually not as good though.
cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#27 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

[QUOTE="drinkerofjuice"]Don't know about you guys, but I usually don't play video games for cinematic experiences. That's what films are for.groowagon

EXACTLY.

games for fun gameplay. good story is a plus, though, but not required.

change is the only constant in life. Ever see some of the first moving pictures? They weren't telling stories. One was watching an 1800's train roll into the station. 5 seconds long. But it evolved, and games have also.
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Pikminmaniac

[QUOTE="Pikminmaniac"]

Sushiglutton

I think level design in particular is much harder for these cinematic games. The devs want to handcraft unique levels throughout the entire game, which requires more thought than the "step into a room, kill all bad guys" kind of levels in a more "pure" game. I agree the core gameplay is usually not as good though.

from my experience with these types of games, whole chapters are sacrificed in the service of story. Take Uncharted 2 for example. Who could say that the museum heist, foreign village, ice cave, or any climbing portion in the game is good gameplay? Those parts are just there to serve the story and the game itself suffers greatly for it. I feel like this shouldn't happen in a game. It feels like really bad game design.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts
[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"][QUOTE="Basinboy"]

Basinboy

The linearity of GOW never was a concern for me, I enjoyed it all the same. I imagine it'll be more along those lines (and Uncharted-esque) than Heavy Rain And if you want an example of horrible linearity, look no further than this trainwreck:

that is the linearity to which was I referring when it comes to stupid linearity no real choice where you go, no variety to what your doing, no variety to enemies. As for that why are you bringing up GOW? Since while it had a set path what you did and how you tackled the enemies and obstacles infront of you were left up to you.
OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
Cows will feel right at home.
Razor_defiace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Razor_defiace

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"][QUOTE="Basinboy"]

Basinboy

I think the only game that I hated because of linearity is DmC:dmc... well and the shitty combat... and the shitty story... well pretty much it was all trashy lol

But yeah, FFXIII is also really bad in terms of linearity (basically one huge line towards the end) and gameplay was dumb. There's nothing that indicates that The Order will be as bad though. The trailer gave me Gears of Wars vibe more than Uncharted too, so I dunno... wait for gameplay footage I guess.

Quaker-w00ts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Quaker-w00ts
Member since 2009 • 1646 Posts
trash like uncharted.GD1551
:lol: ok
jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

doesnt sound bad to me....

Razor_defiace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Razor_defiace

[QUOTE="GD1551"] trash like uncharted.Quaker-w00ts
:lol: ok

Every console game is trash honestly.

[spoiler] I'm not being serious [/spoiler]

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#35 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

If it can be at least as open as The Last of Us then it should be fine.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#36 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

A third person shooter....nteresting! It could be this gen's Gears and Uncharted. I hope it has coop modes and campaign.

GuNsbl4ziN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GuNsbl4ziN
Member since 2010 • 285 Posts
[QUOTE="GD1551"]

jer_1

The uncharted games are only fun the first time you play through.
zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

Ooops!!! And they criticize Ryse! Funny how consolites fight over which movie plays better.

Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 Silenthps
Member since 2006 • 7302 Posts
kool. The industry needs to have a good balance of linear story-based games vs open world games to keep both types fresh and interesting. even though I prefer open-world, it's nice to have a linear game to play every now n then.
CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9154 Posts
i cant wait for the order looks promising
Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Sushiglutton  Online

[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"][QUOTE="Pikminmaniac"]

Pikminmaniac

from my experience with these types of games, whole chapters are sacrificed in the service of story. Take Uncharted 2 for example. Who could say that the museum heist, foreign village, ice cave, or any climbing portion in the game is good gameplay? Those parts are just there to serve the story and the game itself suffers greatly for it. I feel like this shouldn't happen in a game. It feels like really bad game design.

It all comes down to personal experience and what you want/expect out of a game. If you can sort of just come along for the ride, without reflecting too much, these levels can work (and they do to a lot of people, me included). If you want classic gameplay challenge/depth and analyze what the actual gameplay is, the levelsfall apart. There is no right and wrong, good and bad in this imo. Different kind of experiences for different people.
Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Sushiglutton  Online
[QUOTE="SNIPER4321"]Thread title is also perfect example of how not to make a game. games are not movies. if casuals find games too complex than start watching TVs.

I like movies and I like games. Never understood why any experience between the two should be discarded simply for being to close to one of the ends.
FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts
This game wont be out for another year so in that time you will have plenty of other things to let you forget about it.
GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

good another AAA exclusive made by sony

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Sushiglutton  Online
[QUOTE="SNIPER4321"][QUOTE="Sushiglutton"][QUOTE="SNIPER4321"]Thread title is also perfect example of how not to make a game. games are not movies. if casuals find games too complex than start watching TVs.

I like movies and I like games. Never understood why any experience between the two should be discarded simply for being to close to one of the ends.

so u are fine if developers start runing games making it more cinematic. i expect in future develpers will make games that play it self and u have to only press one button after 10 minutes...

If someone talented made it and the inputs made sense and added to the experience I don't see why not?
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Pikminmaniac

[QUOTE="Pikminmaniac"]

[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"] I think level design in particular is much harder for these cinematic games. The devs want to handcraft unique levels throughout the entire game, which requires more thought than the "step into a room, kill all bad guys" kind of levels in a more "pure" game. I agree the core gameplay is usually not as good though. Sushiglutton

It all comes down to personal experience and what you want/expect out of a game. If you can sort of just come along for the ride, without reflecting too much, these levels can work (and they do to a lot of people, me included). If you want classic gameplay challenge/depth and analyze what the actual gameplay is, the levelsfall apart. There is no right and wrong, good and bad in this imo. Different kind of experiences for different people.

Yeah I understand that. I just feel like gameplay should be in the forfront because that's the aspect of gaming that makes this medium unique. That's just where I'm coming from.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Deosn't automatically make it a bad game, if the story is strong and the visuals as nice as the cinematics they've shown....uch who am I kidding :roll:

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

So, exactly what kind of game is The Order: 1886?

Ru Weerasuriya: The Order is a third person action adventure with shooting mechanics. Its very much story-based its a linear story-based game. Were trying to tell a story. Its what we call a filmic experience.

"We're trying to give people that similar sense of entertainment. Entertainment comes in big Hollywood blockbusters and small indie movies - it's that. Games don't do that enough. "

GD1551

No link=no credibility.