The Official Chaos Rings Hype Thread: Ipod RPG from the developers of Wild Arms!

• 125 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BattleTurtles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52 BattleTurtles
Member since 2009 • 2406 Posts

[QUOTE="Hakkai007"]

[QUOTE="ghost392"]

By that logic any game using prerendered sucks??? FFIX Xenogears etc. all SUCK?

Seriously its called art dirrection they are making it look unique with painting esq in CC it was the same universe as FF7 so Chaos Rings is a un ique game and this is a HYPE thread not a HATE thread

ghost392

Ummmm excuse me, I may be wrong about this, but weren't you the one complaining about SMT: Strange Journey not have animations in battle.....

...seems hypocritical to use this "design choice" arguement if it was you who said that.

Also CC does look better and is more demanding.

Well if making characters jaggy and backgrounds static is a design choice it was a very terrible one imo.

Fixed.
sam_nintendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 sam_nintendo
Member since 2005 • 2066 Posts

Wow you ask me about snow particles when you posted the pics with them... Chaos Rings has nice smoke effect in lava too soo it wins in particles. Its CC fault it uses bad 3D backgrounds as opposed to good 2D ones... Also the 2D is a design choice because they want to make it like FF7,8,9, Xnogears, etc. The backgrounds look very nice In Chaos rings like a painting.ghost392
The only "particles" I can find are in screenshots you've provided. When I went to youtube to watch videos I could only find one video. There was "rain" which consisted of a filter over the action. If the snow is the same, it's not particles.

ghost392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 ghost392
Member since 2008 • 1011 Posts

I guess he got ownd too fast to respond...Desmonic

No I was adding a poll

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts

FF13 has good 3D backgrounds but games like FFX would look better with prerendered imo

ghost392

FWIW, Final Fantasy X used a combination of 3D and pre-rendered backgrounds.

sam_nintendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 sam_nintendo

[QUOTE="Desmonic"]I guess he got ownd too fast to respond...ghost392

No I was adding a poll

Do you have any video of your victorious particles? I can't seem to find one.
Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Skittles_McGee
Member since 2008 • 9136 Posts

[QUOTE="ghost392"]Wow you ask me about snow particles when you posted the pics with them... Chaos Rings has nice smoke effect in lava too soo it wins in particles. Its CC fault it uses bad 3D backgrounds as opposed to good 2D ones... Also the 2D is a design choice because they want to make it like FF7,8,9, Xnogears, etc. The backgrounds look very nice In Chaos rings like a painting.sam_nintendo

The only "particles" I can find are in screenshots you've provided. When I went to youtube to watch videos I could only find one video. There was "rain" which consisted of a filter over the action. If the snow is the same, it's not particles.

Yeah, I found that too. Seems my theory was correct, the snow and rain aren't particles, they're just screen filters. So basically the game is nothing but 2D Backgrounds, screen filters, and 3D Character models. And the character models look far worse than those seen in Crisis Core, even though they are the ONLY demanding part of the game. I'd say that's pretty bad.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#59 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
No thanks.
WAIW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#61 WAIW
Member since 2008 • 5000 Posts
When is this getting stickied and Im hoping AAAAE because Chrono Cross got itghost392
In order to be stickied there has to be an excess of hype and excited posters for the game. This isn't getting stickied.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts

I couldn't say what this game will get, but it does look like something worth keeping an eye on.

ThePlothole
PS. Looks like the i-devices are coming closer and closer to fulfilling all the requirements in your sig, if they're not there already. This is a mainstream game (a JRPG, in fact) from a mainstream developer (Square-Enix) that (AFAWK) is only coming to the iPhone. That satisfies (1) (exclusives are by definition made specifically for the platform) and (2) (It's an official mainstream game), and combined with the other games already available should clinch (3) as well.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 HuusAsking
[QUOTE="ghost392"]

[QUOTE="Desmonic"] Again, what snow particles? The ones in the Chaos RIngs pic? What about them? Do you think having snow particles but not even being able to do 3D backgrounds is a good thing? So because Caos Rings has a little fog above the (which is likely a part of the actual background) lava it wins in particles!? LAWL! XD Also, going with your logic 2D backgrounds >>>> 3D backgrounds/enviornments.. So FF 13, in your opinion would have been better with 2D backgrounds...heck, it wouldn't even need to be a next gen game! It could all still be done on the PS2, GameCube and Xbox! Either way, Crisis Core is far more impressive for a handheld RPG and as I said will most likely end up as the better game. Desmonic

I told you it was a design choice because other Ipod Touch games do 3D and the particles are amazing compared to CC and Good 2d > jaggiefest 3D backgrounds

FF13 has good 3D backgrounds but games like FFX would look better with prerendered imo

Sorry, my bad when writting the name of the game. But anyway.again proof? Proof tha iPod Touch games do 3D and particles better than Crisis Core. And I'd rather have a fully 3D explorable, interactive background than a "pretty" static 2D background. As I said, it's more impressive and it's far more enjoyable to play. But if you think a game with 2D backgrounds and 3D characters that still look far worse than those found on Crisis Core, is going to be the pinnacle of RPG's on handhelds well you are gravely mistaken buddy. Also basing myself from the trailer the battle system doesn't seem to be all that great either....

There may be another reason. Try moving around a fully 3D-explorable area...with no controller stick. Remember: iPhones have their touchscreen and "that button", and that's it.
ghost392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 ghost392
To be fair though CC uses alot more space then Chaos Rings so stop comparing... or I will compare to DS rpg graphics XD
shadow_hosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#66 shadow_hosi
Member since 2006 • 9543 Posts
my word, iphone games are getting hype threads now? *sigh* maybe its time i give up the rat race
Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Skittles_McGee
To be fair though CC uses alot more space then Chaos Rings so stop comparing... or I will compare to DS rpg graphics XDghost392
So basically you're admitting defeat. Of course if you're gonna compare graphics with DS RPGs, then be prepared compare everything else too. So now you have to make Chaos Rings compete with Devil Survivor, Strange Journey, The World Ends with You, FFIV, Chrono Trigger, Lunar Knights, you know what the point is there. Good luck :|
ghost392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 ghost392

[QUOTE="ghost392"]To be fair though CC uses alot more space then Chaos Rings so stop comparing... or I will compare to DS rpg graphics XDSkittles_McGee
So basically you're admitting defeat. Of course if you're gonna compare graphics with DS RPGs, then be prepared compare everything else too. So now you have to make Chaos Rings compete with Devil Survivor, Strange Journey, The World Ends with You, FFIV, Chrono Trigger, Lunar Knights, you know what the point is there. Good luck :|

Um Im sure it can handle it and what is defeat? It would look much better then CC if Apple wanted to dump UMD on their consumer... Ipod Touch has best spec btw.

Are you seriously going to use strange journey

Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Skittles_McGee

[QUOTE="Skittles_McGee"][QUOTE="ghost392"]To be fair though CC uses alot more space then Chaos Rings so stop comparing... or I will compare to DS rpg graphics XDghost392

Um Im sure it can handle it and what is defeat? It would look much better then CC if Apple wanted to dump UMD on their consumer... Ipod Touch has best spec btw.

Well you're quite content using Non-GS reviews. You do it all the time, so yes I will use Strange Journey. But basically you've been trying to say Chaos Rings looks more impressive than Crisis Core. Obviously it doesn't. Don't backtrack. You lost, admit to that.
ghost392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 ghost392
^ Your saying STRANGE JOURNEY does XD Chaos Rings is more impressive btw considering its size
Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Skittles_McGee

^ Your saying STRANGE JOURNEY does XD Chaos Rings is more impressive btw considering its sizeghost392
Well lets see. As I said you LOVE not using Gamespot reviews. Take a look around the internet. Off of GS, Strange Journey has great scores. So now you're in a corner, you either have to admit Strange Journey is a great game or you discredit any reviews that are not Gamespot, and thus you have NOTHING. No AAAs, no AAs, NOTHING. :o :o :shock: :o

Pick your poison.

ghost392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 ghost392
^ Other reviews arent on GS site though... Any review on GS has credit in system wars. Go to their site and you will find a plethora of Ipod Touch reviews and GS handpicked the ones they accepted and placed them on this site ( Why write the same review when they are both owned by CNET)
Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Skittles_McGee
[QUOTE="ghost392"]^ Other reviews arent on GS site though... Any review on GS has credit in system wars. Go to their site and you will find a plethora of Ipod Touch reviews and GS handpicked the ones they accepted and placed them on this site ( Why write the same review when they are both owned by CNET)

Guess what, ever click the little thing called "critic score"? Those are other sites. Linked on GS. Backtrack some more please.
ghost392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 ghost392

[QUOTE="ghost392"]^ Other reviews arent on GS site though... Any review on GS has credit in system wars. Go to their site and you will find a plethora of Ipod Touch reviews and GS handpicked the ones they accepted and placed them on this site ( Why write the same review when they are both owned by CNET) Skittles_McGee
Guess what, ever click the little thing called "critic score"? Those are other sites. Linked on GS. Backtrack some more please.

Keyword LINKED and go look and the Slide2Play reviews they have a GAMESPOT SCORE meaning the review is agreed with and gamespot scores the game the same

Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Skittles_McGee

[QUOTE="Skittles_McGee"][QUOTE="ghost392"]^ Other reviews arent on GS site though... Any review on GS has credit in system wars. Go to their site and you will find a plethora of Ipod Touch reviews and GS handpicked the ones they accepted and placed them on this site ( Why write the same review when they are both owned by CNET) ghost392

Keyword LINKED and go look and the Slide2Play reviews they have a GAMESPOT SCORE meaning the review is agreed with and gamespot scores the game the same

They are specified as not being Gamespot scores however. Spin that how you like, they are not GS.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 HuusAsking
[QUOTE="ghost392"]

[QUOTE="Skittles_McGee"] Guess what, ever click the little thing called "critic score"? Those are other sites. Linked on GS. Backtrack some more please.Skittles_McGee

They are specified as not being Gamespot scores however. Spin that how you like, they are not GS.

So basically, Slide2Play and GS are lying?
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 HuusAsking

[QUOTE="Skittles_McGee"][QUOTE="ghost392"]To be fair though CC uses alot more space then Chaos Rings so stop comparing... or I will compare to DS rpg graphics XDghost392

Care to compare the specs of a PSP and an iPod Touch to show us how much better? And don't forget the GPUs, too.
ghost392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 ghost392

[QUOTE="ghost392"]

[QUOTE="Skittles_McGee"] So basically you're admitting defeat. Of course if you're gonna compare graphics with DS RPGs, then be prepared compare everything else too. So now you have to make Chaos Rings compete with Devil Survivor, Strange Journey, The World Ends with You, FFIV, Chrono Trigger, Lunar Knights, you know what the point is there. Good luck :|HuusAsking

Care to compare the specs of a PSP and an iPod Touch to show us how much better? And don't forget the GPUs, too.

PS- CPU MIPS R4000-based; clocked from 1 to 333MHz

Memory 32 and 64 MB

Weight 158grams

Resolution 480 × 272

Ipod Touch/Iphone- CPU ARM Cortex-A8 833MHz (underclocked to 600MHz)

Memory 256 MB

Weight 115grams

Resolution 480 × 320

DS( Just to laugh)

CPU DS and DSL: 67MHz ARM9 and 33MHz ARM7 ( Most games use this )

DSi: 133MHz ARM9 and 33MHz ARM7 ( havent seen a game use

Memory 4mb and 16mb for DSi

Weight 314 g

Resolution 256 × 192

ghost392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 ghost392
Cant find ipod Touch gpu but I know Ipod Touch is better because it has better video playback the only reason CC looks good is space DS- 656 KB VRAM 260,000 colors PS- 2 MB EDRAM 16.77 million colors
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#82 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
Looks like a solid, 6.0.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 HuusAsking

Cant find ipod Touch gpu but I know Ipod Touch is better because it has better video playback the only reason CC looks good is space DS- 656 KB VRAM 260,000 colors PS- 2 MB EDRAM 16.77 million colorsghost392
Not always. Video playback and 3D rendering are two different tasks. In the days before 3D accelerators, graphics cards carried video acceleration capabilities, and the two capabilities remain rather separate (the GPU makers have to program in the capability). However, in the low-power arena, video-playback specialization is handy--3D acceleration not so much (chews up the batteries). That's why I need to know the GPUs, too. The iPhone's GPU could be stronger with video than with 3D, which is why the PSP's GPU (which is a known 3D-capable part) can show much more flash.

UPDATE: OK, I got the answers myself. The iPhone's GPU is a PowerVR part. This makes its 3D capabilities a wildcard in that no one really knows its limits. The PSPs is unknown, too, because it's proprietary, but odds are it's related to the Graphics Synthesizer that was on the PS2.

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#84 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
I'm seeing why people is starting to hate TC. He is annoying with all the Apple Hype. So, there are worms in System Wars now?
Richymisiak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#86 Richymisiak
Member since 2007 • 2589 Posts
i've seen train wrecks that have gone better than this 'hype' thread
sam_nintendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 sam_nintendo
[QUOTE="ghost392"]Cant find ipod Touch gpu but I know Ipod Touch is better because it has better video playback the only reason CC looks good is space DS- 656 KB VRAM 260,000 colors PS- 2 MB EDRAM 16.77 million colors

Hey, you planning on backing up your "particles" claim yet?
ghost392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 ghost392

[QUOTE="ghost392"]Cant find ipod Touch gpu but I know Ipod Touch is better because it has better video playback the only reason CC looks good is space DS- 656 KB VRAM 260,000 colors PS- 2 MB EDRAM 16.77 million colorssam_nintendo

I dont need to the game will back it up for me on release.

Richymisiak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#89 Richymisiak
Member since 2007 • 2589 Posts

[QUOTE="sam_nintendo"][QUOTE="ghost392"]Cant find ipod Touch gpu but I know Ipod Touch is better because it has better video playback the only reason CC looks good is space DS- 656 KB VRAM 260,000 colors PS- 2 MB EDRAM 16.77 million colorsghost392

so you can't, thats nice to know
sam_nintendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 sam_nintendo

[QUOTE="sam_nintendo"][QUOTE="ghost392"]Cant find ipod Touch gpu but I know Ipod Touch is better because it has better video playback the only reason CC looks good is space DS- 656 KB VRAM 260,000 colors PS- 2 MB EDRAM 16.77 million colorsghost392

Bull, you said the game had better graphics because of these "particles." You were lying, deal with it.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#91 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

When is this getting stickied and Im hoping AAAAE because Chrono Cross got itghost392

I can't believe you just said that.

Chrono Cross ANNIHILATES this game! This game is NOTHING compared to Chrono Cross! Let along Chrono Trigger!

The only game that can beat Chrono Cross would be another "Chrono" game AND THAT'S A FACT! Don't compare this to Chrono Cross. heck NEVER Compare this to Chrono Cross!

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

I'm guessing AAA, since the site that does the iPhone/iPod Touch reviews here are an iPhone exclusive reviewer.

ghost392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 ghost392

[QUOTE="ghost392"]When is this getting stickied and Im hoping AAAAE because Chrono Cross got itLegatoSkyheart

I can't believe you just said that.

Chrono Cross ANNIHILATES this game! This game is NOTHING compared to Chrono Cross! Let along Chrono Trigger!

The only game that can beat Chrono Cross would be another "Chrono" game AND THAT'S A FACT! Don't compare this to Chrono Cross. heck NEVER Compare this to Chrono Cross!

Why they are made by the same people and this has a visually unique art dirrection to it

ghost392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 ghost392

I'm guessing AAA, since the site that does the iPhone/iPod Touch reviews here are an iPhone exclusive reviewer.

Phoenix534

Reviews dont convert to AAA scores do and GS scores the games (Unless your trying to call them liers *glares* which would not only be reckless but unnecessary as the other site gave Eliminate Pro a 4/4 which would be roughly 10/10 here but GS scored it a 9/10)

After_Math

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 After_Math
Member since 2007 • 975 Posts

[QUOTE="Phoenix534"]

ghost392

Reviews dont convert to AAA scores do and GS scores the games (Unless your trying to call them liers *glares* which would not only be reckless but unnecessary as the other site gave Eliminate Pro a 4/4 which would be roughly 10/10 here but GS scored it a 9/10)

Doesn't SlidtoPlay review the games, and GS just post the scores on the site?
WAIW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#96 WAIW
Member since 2008 • 5000 Posts
(Unless your trying to call them liers >ghost392
Uhh.. What?
ghost392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 ghost392

[QUOTE="ghost392"]

[QUOTE="Phoenix534"]

After_Math

GS scores the games themselves and System wars goes by scores not reviews and a 9is AAAE allways when it has the words OFFICIAL GAMESPOT I repeat GAMESPOT SCORE UNDER THE REVIEW ( also the score is DIFFERENT then what the converted Slide2Play score would infact be) but go ahead and dismiss Ipod Touch games

After_Math

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 After_Math

[QUOTE="After_Math"][QUOTE="ghost392"]

ghost392

GS scores the games themselves and System wars goes by scores not reviews and a 9is AAAE allways when it has the words OFFICIAL GAMESPOT I repeat GAMESPOT SCORE UNDER THE REVIEW ( also the score is DIFFERENT then what the converted Slide2Play score would infact be) but go ahead and dismiss Ipod Touch games

I haven't dismissed anything. On the iPhone page I only see User Rated Games. Why is that? Am I looking at the wrong thing?
ghost392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 ghost392

[QUOTE="ghost392"]

[QUOTE="After_Math"] Doesn't SlidtoPlay review the games, and GS just post the scores on the site?After_Math

I haven't dismissed anything. On the iPhone page I only see User Rated Games. Why is that? Am I looking at the wrong thing?

Here is the review page with GS scores

Recent Reviews ( I chose to post this as it clearly displays the Gamespot Score and Editors Choice)

Now does anyone else think the character with white hair in Chaos Rings looks sweet?

After_Math

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 After_Math

[QUOTE="After_Math"][QUOTE="ghost392"]

ghost392

Here is the review page with GS scores

Recent Reviews ( I chose to post this as it clearly displays the Gamespot Score and Editors Choice)

Now does anyone else think the character with white hair in Chaos Rings looks sweet?

The character seems kinda scary to me actually btw. And the games were reviewed by Slide2Play "This review was provided by GameSpot mobile content partner SlideToPlay.com. By Chris Reed/SlideToPlay.com, GameSpotPosted Feb 12, 2010 7:02 pm PT "

I know you say GS goes by scores, but GS didn't even write the review, and prob. didn't even play the game. The editor isn't even from Gamespot.