The most overated/underated console ever?

• 179 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 st1ka
Member since 2008 • 8179 Posts
[QUOTE="st1ka"]

i really dont feel like continuing this again, it's obvious none of us are going to give in so let's just agree to disagree

on a final note let me just leave you with this:

see how the the more sucessfull consoles have a lower average?

http://kotaku.com/355812/say-did-you-know-how-many-wii-games-suck

clicketyclick

I really wish you would read what I took the time to write, because it EXPLAINS THAT CHART. You correctly notice that the more successful consoles have the lower average, but you make a false assumption and leap to the conclusion that it is for the same reasons.

This is not a matter of agreeing and disagreeing. This is a matter of acknowledging logic and numbers and ignoring or not understanding them.

the thing is your explanation will be your interpretation of the facts, to which without even reading them and based on the previous discussion i already know i won't agree with them, then i will hate to give my version and so on and so on, which i really don't have the patience for a lenghty discussion about this right now.

All i can tell you is this, if you think the PS3 is better for having better averages then you also think that the gamecube is better then xbox, that the xbox is better the 360 that the 360 is better then the PS2 that the PS2 is better then the Wii and that the PS3 is better then all these consoles put together because if we added them all in to one console its average would be lower to that of the PS3

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#152 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

Underrated N64...To me PS1 never dominated, because while PS1 got more quality games N64 had more KILLER APPS to me.

IT was the best gen in gaming.

All the consoles last gen were overrated. Last gen was so meh. There were great games but nothing like the PS1/64 gen.

-Wheels-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#153 -Wheels-
Member since 2005 • 3137 Posts

Dreamcast = underrated.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 jg4xchamp
I wouldn't say the PS3 is overrated. I think it is known that the damn thing is a disappointment so far this gen...
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 jg4xchamp

Dreamcast = underrated.

-Wheels-
It is consisantly praised as some kind of GOD among hardcore gaming consoles.

I would say that it is nowhere near underrated. Undersold maybe.
st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 st1ka
[QUOTE="-Wheels-"]

Dreamcast = underrated.

jg4xchamp

i'v been saying that ever since i created my account, just forget it it's useless people will still talk about the dreamcast as if it were GOD

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 clicketyclick
Member since 2008 • 7136 Posts

the thing is your explanation will be your interpretation of the facts, to which without even reading them and based on the previous discussion i already know i won't agree with themst1ka

That's because you misinterpreted them, as I explained in the post - just read the very first paragraph.I cannot hope to make you see how you are misinterpreting graphs if you won't even read what I write.I think it is highly rude to suggest that you are open to discussion (as you did by responding to me, both after I had said I was leaving and just now after I made my response, ending your post with a question directed at me) and then after the person has taken the time to respond to you, not even bothering to read it.

I can only hope that, while you may not have the patience for a discussion "right now", you will later, and you'll respond to me via PM.

inflammable01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 inflammable01
Member since 2007 • 1374 Posts

overrated - not sure but id say the xbox360

underrated - dreamcast

deepdreamer256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#159 deepdreamer256
Member since 2005 • 7140 Posts
[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"][QUOTE="-Wheels-"]

Dreamcast = underrated.

st1ka

i'v been saying that ever since i created my account, just forget it it's useless people will still talk about the dreamcast as if it were GOD

I'm not sure why. Even the GC had more triple-A titles. Just look at Gamerankings.
st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 st1ka

Nope. Look again at the graph you showed me:

Quality of games graph

Notice how the PS3 blue bar is higher the the 360's blue bar? Notice how the PS3's red bar is ALSO higher than the 360's red bar? That means that as a percent of the total library, the PS3 has more good games and more bad games than the 360.

So getting back to what you said earlier, and to which I responded by pointing all this out, you said as a way of explanation for why the PS3 does better:"the PS3 has had more good games then the 360 the theory is still applied in % scores the less popular console gets the better results." But as you see, it also has more bad games than the 360 (% of total), so your explanation fails. ;)clicketyclick

how does it fail? backed up by the other charts i gave you it clearly shows how the PS3 has a better overall % score then the 360 so it's obvious that the influx of good games is more then enough to counter the influx of bad games

By the way, I find it amusing that you are still debating whether the PS3 has the better quality library when, to rebut me, you presented this chart entitled "Quality of Games" that very visibly shows the PS3 as having best quality of all systems still in production!clicketyclick

Yes the problem it's an average, this is why averages are deceiving, if we use averages then a system with only one game that recieved an aclaim of 90% is the best system in the world because the average of it's library is 90% you see where this fails? Yes the PS3 has more then one game, but also the 360 has more games then the PS3 and more often than not has more choice per genre then the PS3 with games that scored higher and lower then that of the PS3 THIS is why averages fail.

You are ignoring facts. I decisively disproved your explanation that the most popular console will have the most crap games (as % of total) and will inevitably have the lower overall average. How did I disprove this, you want to know? I showed that the PS2, despite being way MORE popular than the 360, has FEWER bad games (as % of total) than the 360. I also showed that the PS3, despite being way LESS popular than the 360, has MORE bad games (as % of total) than the 360. In order to be logical, you must abandon your hypothesis because it has been disproved as a universal law - it doesn't work in all cases. If you tell me all sheep are white and I find you two black sheep, you must abandon your conviction that all sheep are white. I hope you understand what I'm saying.clicketyclick

Despite the PS3 having more bad games then the 360 it's average is still higher then that of the 360 so my point still stands.

as for your 360 vs PS2 comparison i believe you are interpreting them wrongly, you need to interpret the 1º, 2º and 3º place of each generation, backed up by my previous graphic the Wii has Half the quality of the PS2 (comparing first place to first place)

the 360 has a lower average then original xbox (second place to second place)

the PS3 however counters this theory so far yes, however you need to remember that this graph contains the entire library of the past generation and only the first 3 years of this generation (and only the first two years of the PS3) i believe it is more likely that the PS3's average will go down as the time progresses

Now, please scroll up to look at the "Quality of Games" chart in this post. You'll see very quickly why the Wii has a low average. The red bar (bad games) is HIGHER than the blue bar (good games). As the Kotaku article you provided me correctly suggests, the Wii's low overall average is due to "the impact of shovelware and how the Wii is short on AAA titles". Impact of shovelware is shown by the sky-high red bar that overwhelms the blue bar (indicative that the Wii has copious amounts of shovelware!) and the lack of AAA titles is shown by the dwarfed blue bar. Again, blue represents good games (80% and above) and red represents bad games (50% and below).

Using the same chart, compare the Wii with the 360. Do you see how they are in entirely different situations? The Wii suffers from a high level of bad games, but this is not true for the 360. THE 360 HAS THE LOWEST NUMBER OF BAD GAMES (% of total) OF ALL GAME SYSTEMS IN PRODUCTION. Do you see how your hypothesis that "the same applies to the Wii and the 360 and the PS3" is not true? The Wii and the 360 have lower averages than the PS3, but NOT FOR THE SAME REASONS. There is NO TREND.clicketyclick

exactly last generation the PS2 was the console which received the most shovelware now it's the PS2, and in only two years the Wii was able to attain a lower overall quality of games then that of the PS2, which further along with the 360 to xbox comparison further reinforces my point that with each passing generation this will happen at a quicker pace

Very true, but you are again bonking me over the head with the message that the 360 has a greater QUANTITY of good games. True! I agree! QUANTITY is where the 360 wins! But all this time I have been trying to communicate to you the difference between quantity and quality. Quantity is always measured by, as you put it, "real numbers". Quality is always measured in averages and as a percent of total. You yourself provided a graph entitled "Quality of games", which you presented as a measure of quality, and you'll notice that your graph's units are: # of games with a specific average score as a percent of total. In this respect, as you have unwittingly helped demonstrate, the PS3 wins.

clicketyclick

this is what i am trying to say, averages are meaningless, it is proven that the 360 has more racing games, more racing games, more racing games with higher scores (no racing game on the PS3 has received a higher score then Forza 2 for the 360) the 360 also has more racing games then PS3 with both higher and lower scores (if i'm not mistaken no exclusive racing game on the PS3 has had better scores then PGR 3 as well)

but due to the racing games not found on the PS3 that actually have a better score you will see it's average drop, does that mean that the PS3 is a better console for racing games?

would you prefer a console with 2 racing games both scored in the 70% or a console with 50 racing games whose scores vary between 20% and 90% but as an average it says in the 60%?

now do you see why averages fail?

vivelaps3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 vivelaps3
Member since 2007 • 1060 Posts
underrated = dreamcast
joeychew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 joeychew
Member since 2003 • 4580 Posts

Wii= overrated

Dreamcast=underrated

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#163 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Most underrated is easily the Sega Saturn. It is criticized for having "no good games" and being a "terrible console" when in reality, it is completely the opposite. It brings the Sega arcade experience into the home and has some of the most amazing titles ever.

Radiant Silvergun, Virtua Fighter 1/2, Panzer Dragoon 1/2/3, Samurai Shodown 1/2/3/4, NiGHTS, Die Hard Arcade, Virtua Cop 1/2, Street Fighter Alpha 1/2/3, Thunder Force 1/2, Clockwork Knight 1/2, House of the Dead and the list goes on...
Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

Overrated:

Sony Playstation. Considering the popularity of the system and the number of games released, there are surprisingly few true classics that still hold up today. Gaming in general was going through a transition, and the Playstation was there for its awkward phase.

mysterylobster

Whoa, the PS1 basically was the home of modern gaming. Resident Evil, Final Fantasy 7, Metal Gear Solid, Tekken and Gran Turismo, Tomb Raider (this game was massive and impacted marketing games just as much as it did gameplay... if not more). The only genre missing is FPS, which ironically was dominated and first mastered on consoles by Nintendo. PS1 is definitely not over rated. Its 2008 and almost all games on consoles are nothing more than refined PS1 gameplay with modern day graphics.
Ultimate-Matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 Ultimate-Matt
Member since 2008 • 85 Posts
[QUOTE="ash10692"]

Overrated: Xbox 360 (sorry guys :P) - The reliability issues outshadow the library.

Underrated: Dreamcast - It failed because of the success of the PS1, which is a real shame.

sargentbotk

If it's all about just the reliability, then the same could be said about the PS2...The 360 deserves it's praise. Try it out yourself-..wait no, buy one and spend days playing it and see why lemmings like it.

Anyways, the most underrated is the Dreamcast

The most overrated? Wii.

What was wrong with the PS2? I loved mine!

Also, would you buy a new console if the manafacture said to you "yes it can play games but it will blow up in your face"? No I don't think you would so reliability is an important factor.

But I do agree with you about the Dreamcast.

Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#167 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
Anyone who said 360 for overrated is a Cow to be honest or sheep, hardware issues? Don't blame that for your jealousy

On the other hand

Overrated: I'm gonna say the SNES, couldnt fine a lot of stuff to like
Underrated: Gamecube, Nintendo's last great console
beerm_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 beerm_basic
Member since 2002 • 2488 Posts

underated - N64

Overrated - PS3

haemorrhagiae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 haemorrhagiae
Member since 2008 • 617 Posts

Underrated=PSP

Overrated=WII all the way chamillitary babies.

Omnisystem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 Omnisystem
Member since 2007 • 613 Posts

This gen the PS3 is very under-rated imo. The hardware is slick, has tons of functionality, and has free online. As for the game library people act like there is a huge disparity with the 360 but if you really compare the libraries they are pretty damn close. If you take shooters out of the equation the libraries are basically equal. The reason that I think you can take out shooters is that though the 360 has more top calibur shooters, both systems are chock full of them. It's not like anybody is going to run out of shooters to play for the PS3 (I mean they already have CoD 4, Resistance, Orange Box, Darkness, GRAW 2, Rainbow Six Vegas 1 & 2, Unreal Tournament 3, The Darkness, etc. and Bioshock, Resistance 2, Killzone 2, and a couple of others are right around the corner).

The 360 I think might be a little over-rated, mainly because of the hardware issues. I know my 360 crapped out and after receiving horrible customer service I moved on to the PS3 and have been much happier. Though I will say that the 360's online connectivity is awesome. I don't think they should charge for it though.

The Wii is over-rated by the general public and under-rated by hardcore gamers. With Virtual Console, perfect backwards compatibility with the GC, and a slew of under-rated unconventional games (i.e. Boom Blox, Zack & Wiki, No More Heroes, Trauma Center, Blastworks) as well as Nintendo's first part titles (Super Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3, Super Smash Brothers Brawl) the Wii is a decent little system. If it was my only system I'd be fine with that, though having the Wii and either a high end PC, PS3, or 360 is the best combo this gen.

Before I finally said goodbye to last gen, I went on a little tear buying a Gamecube and an Xbox to accompany my PS2 and started playing all of the great games from last gen and I have to say that I had more fun with the Xbox then I did with any of the other 3 systems. So I'll say that the Xbox was under-rated from last gen. I was trying to rotate which system I played on (i.e. play a GC game, then play a PS2 game, then play an Xbox game) but I kept on getting hooked to the games for the Xbox.

The PS2 in my opinion was over-rated. It had a ton of very good games but if you had to make a list of the top 20 games for the PS2, Xbox, and GC, I actually think I'd rank the PS2's list last.

Zerostatic0

I agree pretty much with everything in bold. However, I do not agree with the last part. PS2 games IMO were much better than what I was able to find on other systems. PS2s library was one of the greatest ever right along side of Super NES.

Nintendo_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#171 Nintendo_Man
Member since 2003 • 19733 Posts

Under rated: N64

Over rated: PS1

AlphaGamer469

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 AlphaGamer469
Member since 2008 • 1881 Posts
[QUOTE="sargentbotk"][QUOTE="ash10692"]

Overrated: Xbox 360 (sorry guys :P) - The reliability issues outshadow the library.

Underrated: Dreamcast - It failed because of the success of the PS1, which is a real shame.

Ultimate-Matt

If it's all about just the reliability, then the same could be said about the PS2...The 360 deserves it's praise. Try it out yourself-..wait no, buy one and spend days playing it and see why lemmings like it.

Anyways, the most underrated is the Dreamcast

The most overrated? Wii.

What was wrong with the PS2? I loved mine!

Also, would you buy a new console if the manafacture said to you "yes it can play games but it will blow up in your face"? No I don't think you would so reliability is an important factor.

But I do agree with you about the Dreamcast.

Gee that's funny, PS2's were all breaking down after the warrenty expired. Anyone that can't admit they were defective is just living in denial...

AlphaGamer469

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 AlphaGamer469
Member since 2008 • 1881 Posts

From the beginning:

Under rated : Intellivision

Over rated: Colecovision

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

Underated - Gamegear & Dreamcast

Overated - Wii

Jeimseu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 Jeimseu
Member since 2007 • 247 Posts

Wii is the most overrated, 360 is extremely underratedmingo123

ROFL Nice one...

doll94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 doll94
Member since 2008 • 1559 Posts

the must underated console ever was the dreamcast.. i know loads of people love it ,, i am one of them. but the fact is it failed :(

most overated console ever is the 360.. ive owned it , got bored of it. sold it. just for me not a good console.

Belwar555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#177 Belwar555
Member since 2006 • 291 Posts

the must underated console ever was the dreamcast.. i know loads of people love it ,, i am one of them. but the fact is it failed :(

most overated console ever is the 360.. ive owned it , got bored of it. sold it. just for me not a good console.

doll94

So you got bored of GoW, Mass Effect, Bioshock, GTA 4, Assassins creed, Halo 3, Oblivion and couldn't wait for Fallout 3, Fable 2, Resident Evil 5 and GoW 2? Do you even care about what games you buy?

Anyway, most overrated is the Wii. Owned one, and unless you got a bunch of friends to come over to your house and enjoy playing games with you, the selection of solo and hardcore games is not good enough. Anyway, thats my point of view.

mamkem6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 mamkem6
Member since 2007 • 1457 Posts

PSX360WII Hybrid:lol:

IronBlackZepp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 IronBlackZepp
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
top 3 overrated 1. Nintendo wii: I cant stand it, I really think its the most overrated console ever because of the game selection being so poor. 2. Playstation: It was good, but no better then N64, but it out sold N64 by alot, plus the grafix were not as good. 3. Playstation 2: Great system, but very overrated because other consoles of that generation were every bit as good. top 3 underrated 1. Dreamcast: So underrated I cannot stand it, more people should have owned it, it was the most unique console of that generation. 2. Gamecube: I dont love this console, but it was unique, and better then wii by a long shot. 3. xbox 360: Should be selling like PS2 did.