The most overated/underated console ever?

• 179 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ONLYDOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 ONLYDOD
Member since 2006 • 6026 Posts

What would you say?

Avatar image for EverydayShooter
EverydayShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 EverydayShooter
Member since 2008 • 132 Posts

hmm.............to me the Sega Mega-CD was pretty underrated.

ash10692

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#3 ash10692
Member since 2008 • 2310 Posts

Overrated: Xbox 360 (sorry guys :P) - The reliability issues outshadow the library.

Underrated: Dreamcast - It failed because of the success of the PS1, which is a real shame.

Ultimate-Matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Ultimate-Matt
Member since 2008 • 85 Posts

I would say that the Xbox 360 is overrated. Unreliable and expensive in the long run.

DaSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5 DaSoul
Member since 2007 • 99 Posts
agree with post above,idk about most underrated,imma say the beginning of PlayStation.
Kez1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 Kez1984
Member since 2007 • 4548 Posts

Underrated and should have beat the gameboy. Can play master system games on it. Can watch tv. Had decent games. Colour screen. Larger screen. Downside, the battery's were eaten up fast.

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts
The PS2 was overated, it leeched off the PS1 success and was never as good. Underated for me would be the GC, it was actually a solid console which had some great games but not enough variety so it failed as a stand alone system, a lot of Wii owners are finding this out now by finding themselves playing GC games as much or more than Wii games.
SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SapSacPrime

Underrated and should have beat the gameboy. Can play master system games on it. Can watch tv. Had decent games. Colour screen. Larger screen. Downside, the battery's were eaten up fast.

Kez1984

I was humming and harring about posting this myself, the GG was the PSP of the early 90's.

mingo123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mingo123
Member since 2007 • 9005 Posts
Wii is the most overrated, 360 is extremely underrated
deshields538

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 deshields538
Member since 2005 • 8699 Posts

Underated - Dreamcast. It's a great console.

Overated - Nothing comes to mind.

ChrnoTrigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ChrnoTrigger
Member since 2008 • 2155 Posts
[QUOTE="Kez1984"]

SapSacPrime

I was humming and harring about posting this myself, the GG was the PSP of the early 90's.

The game gear outsold the gameboy 3 months straight and continued to at one point in its lifetime? :roll:

jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts
The 360 is the most over rated system because of not only the hardware problems but the technology is from the past. The PS3 is a underated system because the hardware/software is fairly new and some of this hardware could be in PC's in the future once the cost goes down and developers learn to use this hardware in other ways.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d38d16a8ba3a
deactivated-5d38d16a8ba3a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5d38d16a8ba3a
Member since 2008 • 41 Posts

I would think the most overated console right now would be the Wii.

Whoop, motion controls.:roll:

-------

Kez1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 Kez1984
Member since 2007 • 4548 Posts
[QUOTE="SapSacPrime"][QUOTE="Kez1984"]

ChrnoTrigger

The game gear outsold the gameboy 3 months straight and continued to at one point in its lifetime? :roll:

How about years instead of months? Figures?

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts

Wii is the most overrated, 360 is extremely underratedmingo123

How is either done. In SW the Wii is the most hated system and the 360 is the most loved.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d38d16a8ba3a
deactivated-5d38d16a8ba3a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5d38d16a8ba3a
Member since 2008 • 41 Posts

I would also say that BOTH the 360 and the PS3 are underated. They are really good machines that should've beat the Wii.

-----------

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SapSacPrime
[QUOTE="SapSacPrime"][QUOTE="Kez1984"]

ChrnoTrigger

Your point? it is still underrated as it was a good system just not as good as its competitor, it had a colour screen with a better image, it was more powerful and it had more multimedia capabilities yet it did sell less which is the reason I compared it to the PSP (which also plays games from the console gen prior to its release :o). The PSP is actually very underrated, it isn't god awful it just could have been more.

whocares4peace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 whocares4peace
Member since 2005 • 4971 Posts
The Dreamcast is the most over rated, imo. It was great and all, but people consider it one the best consoles ever solely due to its premature death.
ChrnoTrigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ChrnoTrigger
Member since 2008 • 2155 Posts
[QUOTE="ChrnoTrigger"][QUOTE="SapSacPrime"][QUOTE="Kez1984"]

SapSacPrime

Your point? it is still underrated as it was a good system just not as good as its competitor, it had a colour screen with a better image, it was more powerful and it had more multimedia capabilities yet it did sell less which is the reason I compared it to the PSP (which also plays games from the console gen prior to its release :o). The PSP is actually very underrated, it isn't god awful it just could have been more.

Eh, thought you were trying to sound fanboyish. My bad :P

mingo123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mingo123
Member since 2007 • 9005 Posts

[QUOTE="mingo123"]Wii is the most overrated, 360 is extremely underratedHarlockJC

How is either done. In SW the Wii is the most hated system and the 360 is the most loved.

no, 360 is the most hated,nobody talks about wii coz its embarrassing but sales wise wii is selling way too much

Zerostatic0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#21 Zerostatic0
Member since 2005 • 4263 Posts

This gen the PS3 is very under-rated imo. The hardware is slick, has tons of functionality, and has free online. As for the game library people act like there is a huge disparity with the 360 but if you really compare the libraries they are pretty damn close. If you take shooters out of the equation the libraries are basically equal. The reason that I think you can take out shooters is that though the 360 has more top calibur shooters, both systems are chock full of them. It's not like anybody is going to run out of shooters to play for the PS3 (I mean they already have CoD 4, Resistance, Orange Box, Darkness, GRAW 2, Rainbow Six Vegas 1 & 2, Unreal Tournament 3, The Darkness, etc. and Bioshock, Resistance 2, Killzone 2, and a couple of others are right around the corner).

The 360 I think might be a little over-rated, mainly because of the hardware issues. I know my 360 crapped out and after receiving horrible customer service I moved on to the PS3 and have been much happier. Though I will say that the 360's online connectivity is awesome. I don't think they should charge for it though.

The Wii is over-rated by the general public and under-rated by hardcore gamers. With Virtual Console, perfect backwards compatibility with the GC, and a slew of under-rated unconventional games (i.e. Boom Blox, Zack & Wiki, No More Heroes, Trauma Center, Blastworks) as well as Nintendo's first part titles (Super Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3, Super Smash Brothers Brawl) the Wii is a decent little system. If it was my only system I'd be fine with that, though having the Wii and either a high end PC, PS3, or 360 is the best combo this gen.

Before I finally said goodbye to last gen, I went on a little tear buying a Gamecube and an Xbox to accompany my PS2 and started playing all of the great games from last gen and I have to say that I had more fun with the Xbox then I did with any of the other 3 systems. So I'll say that the Xbox was under-rated from last gen. I was trying to rotate which system I played on (i.e. play a GC game, then play a PS2 game, then play an Xbox game) but I kept on getting hooked to the games for the Xbox.

The PS2 in my opinion was over-rated. It had a ton of very good games but if you had to make a list of the top 20 games for the PS2, Xbox, and GC, I actually think I'd rank the PS2's list last.

sargentbotk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 sargentbotk
Member since 2007 • 4224 Posts

Overrated: Xbox 360 (sorry guys :P) - The reliability issues outshadow the library.

Underrated: Dreamcast - It failed because of the success of the PS1, which is a real shame.

ash10692

If it's all about just the reliability, then the same could be said about the PS2...The 360 deserves it's praise. Try it out yourself-..wait no, buy one and spend days playing it and see why lemmings like it.

Anyways, the most underrated is the Dreamcast

The most overrated? Wii.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 crunchUK
Member since 2007 • 3050 Posts
[QUOTE="ash10692"]

sargentbotk

If it's all about just the reliability, then the same could be said about the PS2...The 360 deserves it's praise. Try it out yourself-..wait no, buy one and spend days playing it and see why lemmings like it.

The most overrated? Wii.

if only everyone here did that there'd be no system war at all

also overrated goes to ps2, underrated goes to dreamcast

edit: or better yet buy a 360and spend ages in the 360 games column :D

IgorVitaly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 IgorVitaly
Member since 2008 • 1135 Posts

What would you say?

ONLYDOD

Most overated, PS2/PS3.

fishfake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 fishfake
Member since 2007 • 1135 Posts
[QUOTE="ash10692"]

sargentbotk

The most overrated? Wii.

:lol:

praise the 360 and say the wii is overrated:shock:

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 clicketyclick
Member since 2008 • 7136 Posts

This gen the PS3 is very under-rated imo. The hardware is slick, has tons of functionality, and has free online. As for the game library people act like there is a huge disparity with the 360 but if you really compare the libraries they are pretty damn close. If you take shooters out of the equation the libraries are basically equal. The reason that I think you can take out shooters is that though the 360 has more top calibur shooters, both systems are chock full of them. It's not like anybody is going to run out of shooters to play for the PS3 (I mean they already have CoD 4, Resistance, Orange Box, Darkness, GRAW 2, Rainbow Six Vegas 1 & 2, Unreal Tournament 3, The Darkness, etc. and Bioshock, Resistance 2, Killzone 2, and a couple of others are right around the corner).

The 360 I think might be a little over-rated, mainly because of the hardware issues. I know my 360 crapped out and after receiving horrible customer service I moved on to the PS3 and have been much happier. Though I will say that the 360's online connectivity is awesome. I don't think they should charge for it though.

The Wii is over-rated by the general public and under-rated by hardcore gamers. With Virtual Console, perfect backwards compatibility with the GC, and a slew of under-rated unconventional games (i.e. Boom Blox, Zack & Wiki, No More Heroes, Trauma Center, Blastworks) as well as Nintendo's first part titles (Super Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3, Super Smash Brothers Brawl) the Wii is a decent little system. If it was my only system I'd be fine with that, though having the Wii and either a high end PC, PS3, or 360 is the best combo this gen.Zerostatic0

This man speaks the truth!

Anyway, I don't think it is physically possible to be more underrated than the Dreamcast. I think if Sega entered the fray again, it would be for the better. Only three competitors is boring. The console wars used to be epic like dodgeball with your entire gym class. Now they're like badminton matches

ash10692

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ash10692
[QUOTE="ash10692"]

sargentbotk

The most overrated? Wii.

I had one, and found it to be a lot less reliable than the PS2.

sargentbotk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 sargentbotk
[QUOTE="sargentbotk"][QUOTE="ash10692"]

fishfake

The most overrated? Wii.

:lol:

praise the 360 and say the wii is overrated:shock:

It's all just my opinion, is it not? Why the shocked smiley? Should it be wrong?

fishfake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 fishfake
Member since 2007 • 1135 Posts

The Wii is over-rated by the general public and under-rated by hardcore gamers. With Virtual Console, perfect backwards compatibility with the GC, and a slew of under-rated unconventional games (i.e. Boom Blox, Zack & Wiki, No More Heroes, Trauma Center, Blastworks) as well as Nintendo's first part titles (Super Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3, Super Smash Brothers Brawl) the Wii is a decent little system. If it was my only system I'd be fine with that, though having the Wii and either a high end PC, PS3, or 360 is the best combo this gen.

Before I finally said goodbye to last gen, I went on a little tear buying a Gamecube and an Xbox to accompany my PS2 and started playing all of the great games from last gen and I have to say that I had more fun with the Xbox then I did with any of the other 3 systems. So I'll say that the Xbox was under-rated from last gen. I was trying to rotate which system I played on (i.e. play a GC game, then play a PS2 game, then play an Xbox game) but I kept on getting hooked to the games for the Xbox.

The PS2 in my opinion was over-rated. It had a ton of very good games but if you had to make a list of the top 20 games for the PS2, Xbox, and GC, I actually think I'd rank the PS2's list last.

Zerostatic0

we need more of people like YOU;)

for people using brains instead of nothing

sargentbotk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 sargentbotk
[QUOTE="sargentbotk"][QUOTE="ash10692"]

ash10692

The most overrated? Wii.

Again, it's all just personal experience. I can say I had my 360 lasted longer than my PS2(Which was true on my part.) My PS2 started having this disk reading error 7 months after I got it. My 360 is still running with no signs of RROD or disk reading errors.

ash10692

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ash10692
[QUOTE="ash10692"][QUOTE="sargentbotk"][QUOTE="ash10692"]

sargentbotk

The most overrated? Wii.

Again, it's all just personal experience. I can say I had my 360 lasted longer than my PS2(Which was true on my part.) My PS2 started having this disk reading error 7 months after I got it. My 360 is still running with no signs of RROD or disk reading errors.

Yeah, very true. I've met people that have never replaced a PS2 or a 360, and then there's me who replaced a PS2 twice and 360 3 times.

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 clicketyclick

Zerostatic0

Actually, the PS3 has a better quality library of Third-Person Shooters, and the 360 barely beats out the PS3 in the quality of First-Person Shooters. The only two genres in which the 360's library is better than the PS3's is Platformer and RPG - but only by very slim margins. All the other genres, PS3 beats 360 by healthy and even giant margins.

I am prepared to back all of what I said up with statistics, tables, and graphs, as I calculated this all out a week ago.

Avatar image for DarkChrisss1995
DarkChrisss1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 DarkChrisss1995
Member since 2007 • 802 Posts

Underrated-Dreamcast and Phillips-CDi.

Overrated-Xbox

AirGuitarist87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 AirGuitarist87
Member since 2006 • 9499 Posts

The most underrated has to go to the MegaDrive in my opinion. Everyone I knew growing up had a SNES and the MegaDrive has some incredible amazing games on it, like Ristar, Cosmic Spacehead and Super Hang-On.

Overrated has to go the 360, hands down. It had it's day, but with very few games being exclusive on either console, the reliability issue is something that just can't be overlooked.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

over-rated : dreamcast (it had a good launch lineup but it crapped out )

under-rated: N64 (may not have the quantity of games like the ps1...but the games it did have were amazing)

st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 st1ka
Member since 2008 • 8179 Posts

ash10692

the dreamcast if anything is overrated

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 clicketyclick
[QUOTE="clicketyclick"]

[QUOTE="Zerostatic0"]This gen the PS3 is very under-rated imo. The hardware is slick, has tons of functionality, and has free online. As for the game library people act like there is a huge disparity with the 360 but if you really compare the libraries they are pretty damn close. If you take shooters out of the equation the libraries are basically equal. The reason that I think you can take out shooters is that though the 360 has more top calibur shooters, both systems are chock full of them. It's not like anybody is going to run out of shooters to play for the PS3 (I mean they already have CoD 4, Resistance, Orange Box, Darkness, GRAW 2, Rainbow Six Vegas 1 & 2, Unreal Tournament 3, The Darkness, etc. and Bioshock, Resistance 2, Killzone 2, and a couple of others are right around the corner).
crunchUK

Actually, the PS3 has a better quality library of Third-Person Shooters, and the 360 barely beats out the PS3 in the quality of First-Person Shooters. The only two genres in which the 360's library is better than the PS3's is Platformer and RPG - but only by very slim margins. All the other genres, PS3 beats 360 by healthy and even giant margins.

I am prepared to back all of what I said up with statistics, tables, and graphs, as I calculated this all out a week ago.

AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :lol:

You may laugh, but it's true nonetheless.

st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 st1ka
[QUOTE="crunchUK"][QUOTE="clicketyclick"]

[QUOTE="Zerostatic0"]This gen the PS3 is very under-rated imo. The hardware is slick, has tons of functionality, and has free online. As for the game library people act like there is a huge disparity with the 360 but if you really compare the libraries they are pretty damn close. If you take shooters out of the equation the libraries are basically equal. The reason that I think you can take out shooters is that though the 360 has more top calibur shooters, both systems are chock full of them. It's not like anybody is going to run out of shooters to play for the PS3 (I mean they already have CoD 4, Resistance, Orange Box, Darkness, GRAW 2, Rainbow Six Vegas 1 & 2, Unreal Tournament 3, The Darkness, etc. and Bioshock, Resistance 2, Killzone 2, and a couple of others are right around the corner).
clicketyclick

AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :lol:

You may laugh, but it's true nonetheless.

actually it's opinion

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 clicketyclick

actually it's opinion

st1ka

Averages are not opinions; they are numbers.

st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 st1ka
[QUOTE="st1ka"]

actually it's opinion

clicketyclick

Averages are not opinions; they are numbers.

if you want to go by averages then doesn't the 360 win?

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 clicketyclick

st1ka

Surprisingly, no. I was actually doing it to confirm the 360's win, and found that the PS3 swept most genres. Actually, maybe that's not so surprising considering how PS3fans have always been saying "quality over quantity".

EDIT: note, I have neither a PS3 nor a 360. I game on my computer and Wii.

st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 st1ka
[QUOTE="st1ka"]

clicketyclick

Surprisingly, no. I was actually doing it to confirm the 360's win, and found that the PS3 swept most genres. Actually, maybe that's not so surprising considering how PS3fans have always been saying "quality over quantity".

EDIT: note, I have neither a PS3 nor a 360. I game on my computer and Wii.

let me do my research, what do you want? exclusives between the PS3 vs 360 or exclusives on all fronts?

hongkingkong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#44 hongkingkong
Member since 2006 • 9368 Posts

over: Wii

under: Gamecube

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 clicketyclick

let me do my research, what do you want? exclusives between the PS3 vs 360 or exclusives on all fronts?

st1ka

Huh? I don't really understand the question or that thing about you doing your own research... but... I guess it would be nice to have exclusive games on each of the consoles so the libraries weren't so similar. I don't think it was always like that; I don't think there were so many multiplats before. An added benefit of more exclusives is that we wouldn't have to suffer "the ___ version is better!!!!" threads with endless bickering and screen caps comparisons.

st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 st1ka
[QUOTE="st1ka"]

clicketyclick

Huh? I don't really understand the question or that thing about you doing your own research... but... I guess it would be nice to have exclusive games on each of the consoles so the libraries weren't so similar. I don't think it was always like that; I don't think there were so many multiplats before. An added benefit of more exclusives is that we wouldn't have to suffer the endless "the ___ version is better!!!!" threads with endless bickering and screen caps comparisons.

what i mean is, were you comparing exclusives only between PS3 and 360 (in other words if you can find the game on a PC and 360 but not on a PS3 you counted it as an exclusive) or did you count the exclusives on all fronts (meaning that it's only that system and nowhere else)

mephisto_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 mephisto_11
Member since 2008 • 1880 Posts

Overrated: PS3 - 2 years for a decent exclusive? Overhyped hardware? useless blu ray. Yep this one wins overrated

Underrated: 360 - It has 1 flaw. RROD, its becoming less prevalent and is almost eliminated. Yet ps3 fanboys will keep badgering on about it. Best and widest game library and revolutionized online on consoles.

DirtyHorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DirtyHorse
Member since 2008 • 344 Posts

Overrated: Wii

Underated: original xbox and ps3

AirGuitarist87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49 AirGuitarist87
Member since 2006 • 9499 Posts

Underrated: 360 - It has 1 flaw. RROD, its becoming less prevalent and is almost eliminated.

mephisto_11

Really? I didn't hear anything about that. Alls I heard was that they extended the warranty by a few years.

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 clicketyclick

what i mean is, were you comparing exclusives only between PS3 and 360 (in other words if you can find the game on a PC and 360 but not on a PS3 you counted it as an exclusive) or did you count the exclusives on all fronts (meaning that it's only that system and nowhere else)

st1ka

Oh. What's this obsession with exclusives? That doesn't give any information about the quality of the library. I compared the full library for each genre. You would think that would have hurt the PS3, considering it has had a number of bad ports.