The last of us remastered features 30fps toggle

#1 Posted by rosko123 (542 posts) -

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/the_last_of_us_remastered/news/the_last_of_us_remastered_details_leak_30fps_toggle_additional_dlc_planned.html

Great idea as a lot of people had complained that it would lose it's cinematic feel at 60fps. Article also states that it will include 4x more detailed texture maps. Can't wait to see what this looks like.

#2 Posted by lglz1337 (4193 posts) -

day 1

also i heard photo mode

#3 Posted by Blabadon (28424 posts) -

The PS4 can emulate the Xbox One now?

#4 Posted by SolidTy (45912 posts) -

Cool beans. Should make the detractors happy.

I enjoyed getting a Platinum in TLOU, but I need a break from the game. For those new to the series, have fun it's a wild ride.

#6 Posted by EducatingU_PCMR (1116 posts) -

Mmm, it may actually mean that the game can't sustain 60fps locked.

Let's wait and see.

#7 Posted by Cloud_imperium (6182 posts) -

Great . Now they should do the same for Order 1886 because PS4 won't have any problem doing 60fps for that game . 30fps was their target , just for "Cinematic Feel" , nothing more . /s

I am getting sick of this whole "cinematic feel" sh*t . Would've been alot better gameplay experience if every game targeted 60fps . Oh well .

#8 Edited by CrownKingArthur (5262 posts) -

ok just to be clear the texture maps are the same, be it at 30 or 60, but 4x more detailed than the ps3 version (would indicate doubling x and y, eg 512² to 1024²).

i think this is fine, and i think it's a safe bet to assume it will sustain 60, but i was wrong before in 1977.

edit: by 'this', i mean the 30/60 option. obviously we're expecting an enhanced game.

#10 Posted by freedomfreak (43436 posts) -

Highly recommended by the fellas over at RAD.

#12 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (10030 posts) -

60FPS is more cinematic than 30FPS could ever be. Plus there's the question of input lag.

#13 Edited by DefconRave (806 posts) -

@rosko123 said:

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/the_last_of_us_remastered/news/the_last_of_us_remastered_details_leak_30fps_toggle_additional_dlc_planned.html

Great idea as a lot of people had complained that it would lose it's cinematic feel at 60fps. Article also states that it will include 4x more detailed texture maps. Can't wait to see what this looks like.

People actually believe the "cinematic feel" spiel? I weep for humanity.......

#16 Edited by rosko123 (542 posts) -

@DefconRave: I don't personally but some people want it and they have it as an option it can only be seen as a positive...

#17 Edited by lglz1337 (4193 posts) -

@geniobastardo: watch and play ?

200 awards don't dislike story driven games you'll put into shame!

#18 Posted by CrownKingArthur (5262 posts) -
@scottpsfan14 said:
@Salt_The_Fries said:

60FPS is more cinematic than 30FPS could ever be. Plus there's the question of input lag.

What do you mean? Movies recorded with 35 mill film or IMAX are 24fps. Not 60fps. 30fps is closer to 24fps than 60fps is, therefore it gives a more 'cinematic' feel. Simple stuff really.

what about 18 fps? would that be equally as cinematic as 30? 24 ± 6

#19 Posted by DEadliNE-Zero0 (4982 posts) -

The link isn't working for me. Anyway, if the game fails to keep it between 50-60fps, this is great. IMHO, this kind of stuff should be standart in consoles. If you can't keep it stable, let people choose what they want.

#20 Posted by MirkoS77 (8352 posts) -

Arrerghhh!!! Can't wait, two weeks! Can't wait to be able to play TLoU with no input lag. Smooooth as butter.

#21 Posted by DefconRave (806 posts) -

@rosko123 said:

@DefconRave: I don't personally but some people want it and they have it as an option it can only be seen as a positive...

I'm just bewildered why some people (not you) think playing a game is the same as watching a movie. To me gameplay is most important and 30fps just feels so sluggish. I get the argument in movies when you are a passive participant, but games are a totally different kettle of fish.

#23 Edited by Ben-Buja (2782 posts) -

It's nice of them to include that option, but I would never use it. 30 fps looks too choppy on my TV. (it has extremely low response time)

I always turn on smooth motion for movies as well, in panning shots it's just too stuttery otherwise

#24 Posted by lglz1337 (4193 posts) -

@geniobastardo: both in 1 package like TLOU!

#25 Posted by speedfog (3359 posts) -

Is this for real? I'm speechless.

#26 Posted by faizan_faizan (7868 posts) -

I don't see the point of this. There is no "cinematic" feeling regardless of what FPS you're playing on because movies =/= games.

#28 Edited by NFJSupreme (5405 posts) -

Does this mean it isn't a stable 60fps?

#29 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (10030 posts) -

@Ben-Buja said:

It's nice of them to include that option, but I would never use it. 30 fps looks too choppy on my TV. (it has extremely low response time)

I always turn on smooth motion for movies as well, in panning shots it's just too stuttery otherwise

But smooth motion in games causes additional input lag, no?

#32 Posted by SecretPolice (23551 posts) -

Seems pretty useless but I'd guess they wouldn't want to do what MS did with Halo CEA where you can press the select button and see the game as it was in 2001 on the original Xbox since if they did that with TLOU, you likely would be disappointed with the small improvement over the original PS3 version of TLOU. :P

#33 Posted by Ben-Buja (2782 posts) -

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@Ben-Buja said:

But smooth motion in games causes additional input lag, no?

Yeah, I meant that I only use smooth motion for movies

#34 Edited by foxhound_fox (90791 posts) -

"Cinematic feel"

Fuck people, we're playing games here, not movies.

#35 Posted by GoldenElementXL (3887 posts) -

This means the game can't sustain a steady 60 fps. They patched in a locked 30 fps with Infamous for this same reason if you all remember.

The crazy part is people are here praising this feature on a "Sony exclusive." I have a feeling the same people would be bashing a "Microsoft exclusive" for doing the same thing.

#38 Edited by R4gn4r0k (17508 posts) -

@rosko123 said:

a lot of people had complained that it would lose it's cinematic feel at 60fps.

A lot of people complained about having MORE fps ?

@foxhound_fox said:

"Cinematic feel"

Fuck people, we're playing games here, not movies.

Those people should be forced to play at 24FPS and no higher. "teh cinematicness"

#39 Posted by SecretPolice (23551 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:
@SecretPolice said:

Seems pretty useless but I'd guess they wouldn't want to do what MS did with Halo CEA where you can press the select button and see the game as it was in 2001 on the original Xbox since if they did that with TLOU, you likely would be disappointed with the small improvement over the original PS3 version of TLOU. :P

Jesus that Halo collection sounds better every time I hear about it. It's a system seller for me.

Yes indeed, I loved playing through Halo CEA and will be very hard for me to resist buying the X1 when the MC collection arrives, I haven't played Halo 2 in a long, long, long time and would love to play it in 1080P 60 fps. :D

#40 Edited by DEadliNE-Zero0 (4982 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@GoldenElementXL said:

This means the game can't sustain a steady 60 fps. They patched in a locked 30 fps with Infamous for this same reason if you all remember.

The crazy part is people are here praising this feature on a "Sony exclusive." I have a feeling the same people would be bashing a "Microsoft exclusive" for doing the same thing.

Dude from ND:

We'll have to wait and see what is what, I suppose. Not that long now anyway (releases on the 30th right?).

I hope so. Like i said before, "60fps" that spends most of it's time going from 60 to 50 to 40, or even lower, and back again during action sequences, is worse than locked 30fps imo. For games like these, i actually don't even mind 30, since i have a harder time noticing 60. Not sure if anybody else feels that way. But fluctuating frame rates tends to be easier to spot, and are more annoying to me.

So yeah, if anybody is like me, a lock option might end up being a great gift if things don't work out.

#43 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (10030 posts) -

I've never played Halo 2 as I have never had original Xbox, and I'm dying to play it, finally.

#44 Posted by GoldenElementXL (3887 posts) -

@Desmonic: Offering a 30fps toggle in a game that runs a steady 60fps is as asinine as a 720p toggle or a texture pop in toggle. It makes no sense if the game is running well.

We will have to wait for the DF analysis obviously but I'm not getting my hopes up for a steady 60.

#45 Posted by SecretPolice (23551 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:
@SecretPolice said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@SecretPolice said:

Jesus that Halo collection sounds better every time I hear about it. It's a system seller for me.

Yes indeed, I loved playing through Halo CEA and will be very hard for me to resist buying the X1 when the MC collection arrives, I haven't played Halo 2 in a long, long, long time and would love to play it in 1080P 60 fps. :D

I have both Halo 1 and 2 on PC running in 1080p 60fps lol. But they are getting a graphics remake as well on MC. Also I can't wait to see what Halo 4 will look like on the ONE. It already was one of the best looking shooters last generation. So i can imagine it will look as if it was a PC version on max settings. I need to get the Xbox for the Halo games. Srsly!

tehe, after I posted, I thought to myself, I should have included "remake" in front of the 1080P 60 fps since yeah, 343 did an outstanding job Remaking Halo CE for the 360 and from what I've seen of Halo 2A, it should be absolutely amazing on The One. Also, yes, I agree wholeheartedly, I pretty much rank Halo 4 as the best looking shooter on consoles last gen and it should really shine going to X1. :)

#48 Edited by kinectthedots (2669 posts) -

@SecretPolice said:

You might be saying something of importance if TLOU wasn't already one of the best looking games from last generation and the fact that TLOU R in it's current form look better than everything in the updated remaster of the Halo MC edition.

Graphically, Halo has looked like trash compared to all PS exclusives of the past generation so that toggle is trying to give xbot fans like you a way to show the difference, with the last of us there is no need since it already looks better than an updated xbox remaster. :P

#49 Posted by Heil68 (47153 posts) -

I will eventually get this. that's for sure.

#50 Posted by Snugenz (12781 posts) -

This is a joke right?, have console gamers crawled so far up their own asses with this "cinematic" bullshit that they actually believe it, and even worse that devs are pandering to them?