The Future of Nintendo (Long Read)

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

they'll ride it out they always do.

3DS seems stable but faces stiff competition from the ever growing mobile market which people claim is not real gaming for a plethora of silly reasons based upon their own tastes and ideologies but its a market the big guys including even Sony are taking into consideration(despite it being a pretty grim launch and very sedated in terms of what you could play them on Sony did actually release some PS1 classics for that old xPeria and android handsets afaik have Sony DS3 support :P).

They need to move with the times, remember their strong points embrace the new sectors of the market and evolve like everyone else has done.

I personally think it would make sense for ninty to release some old NES games or GBA games (which are fairly simple games inb4 touchscreen arguement) like say the original mario,donkey kong,excitebikes at say £1 a pop and its a profitable endeavour that will increase their profit margins sure stalwarts will disagree but titles like that could generate some severe revenue.Hell even re-release Pokemon Red/Blue for £3-5 and they would be making a ton from nostalgic people like me and the fact it would honestly more than likely work well on a mobile.At the same time doesnt eat into their big handheld titles with all the fancy bits and prey's on peoples nostalgic side while embracing market changes.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#52  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

@MonsieurX said:

Releasing a console in the middle of a gen would be stupid.

More powerful than X1\PS4 but probably won't benefit it with multiplats.

Nintendo 1st party has never been about the graphics

And it would be outdated 2 years later when new gen come out

That and by that point, people will be digging too deep in the other consoles to even give a damn.

Agree ..they should just ride it out & make it the best god damn experience for those who own it.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

I'd like Nintendo to go to PC. Digitally release all their games on Steam, same date in every territory. I know that'll never happen but it's my dream.

Because **** their weak consoles, **** their game droughts and non existent 3rd party, **** their policy of region locking their consoles and then delaying or refusing to localise games, **** their lame online, and **** their horrible account system.

Just let me play fantastic Nintendo games in peace, and not worry about all the crap that goes along with their consoles. Btw I reject the idea that they would lose money on their "lesser" franchises. Not every game has to be 5+ million seller to be profitable. And digitally released PC games are cheaper than AAA console blockbusters.

Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Xaero_Gravity
Member since 2011 • 9856 Posts

@locopatho said:

I'd like Nintendo to go to PC. Digitally release all their games on Steam, same date in every territory. I know that'll never happen but it's my dream.

Because **** their weak consoles, **** their game droughts and non existent 3rd party, **** their policy of region locking their consoles and then delaying or refusing to localise games, **** their lame online, and **** their horrible account system.

Just let me play fantastic Nintendo games in peace, and not worry about all the crap that goes along with their consoles. Btw I reject the idea that they would lose money on their "lesser" franchises. Not every game has to be 5+ million seller to be profitable. And digitally released PC games are cheaper than AAA console blockbusters.

Amen.

beerm_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By beerm_basic
Member since 2002 • 2488 Posts

Nintendo will never go third party

People that want them to go third party are loons....nintendo are the only console maker that innovates

The 3ds is selling well and the wiiu will pick up steam eventually perhaps next xmas with a price drop and mk8 and smash bros is out.....and hopefully zelda

Wat i do hope next gen is nintendo learns from how fast the xboxone and ps4 have sold

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#56  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

MS only supported their console half a generation and nobody cared, so I guess they could release a new one midgen. I feel the most comfortable about option 1 because they have long legs and what else are they going to do: Either the gamers will start to come to their senses and buy their awesome games, or Nintendo would have no chance in any of those scenario's. They'd have to make a DOTA or heavily marketed FPS clone to be successful. Basically if things have gotten that bad with gamers in general, that they ignore quality and innovation for heavily marketed generic games either with celebrities or giving you this feeling like you're cool or great even though you don't know what you're doing, they would have to become everything wrong with this industry and everything that they are not and do not (want to) stand for.

I definitely think that a downfall of Nintendo would essentially be equivalent to the industry giving up on good game design in favour of marketing and milking proven concepts that do not involve any depth from a game design perspective.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#57  Edited By GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

@beerm_basic said:

Nintendo will never go third party

People that want them to go third party are loons....nintendo are the only console maker that innovates

The 3ds is selling well and the wiiu will pick up steam eventually perhaps next xmas with a price drop and mk8 and smash bros is out.....and hopefully zelda

Wat i do hope next gen is nintendo learns from how fast the xboxone and ps4 have sold

the wiiu sold just as fast.

I would predict that the ps4 and xb1 will outsell the wiiu, but right now there are no solid facts out there. Most consoles are guaranteed to sell a lot of units at the outset. We have to come back to the issue after the holidays to truly judge just how superior these new consoles are as products.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

@KungfuKitten said:

MS only supported their console half a generation and nobody cared, so I guess they could release a new one midgen. I feel the most comfortable about option 1 because they have long legs and what else are they going to do: Either the gamers will start to come to their senses and buy their awesome games, or Nintendo would have no chance in any of those scenario's. They'd have to make a DOTA or heavily marketed FPS clone to be successful. Basically if things have gotten that bad with gamers in general, that they ignore quality and innovation for heavily marketed generic games either with celebrities or giving you this feeling like you're cool or great even though you don't know what you're doing, they would have to become everything wrong with this industry and everything that they are not and do not (want to) stand for.

That's a load of shit. Quality DOES sell, that is precisely why the WiiU is struggling so badly. If Nintendo had released the WiiU with PS4 levels of power, online, and third party support, it'd be selling fantastically well, and so would their games.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#59 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46308 Posts

@seanmcloughlin said:

Nintendo's future does look very bleak indeed. But they have nothing to blame but themselves.

How so? Microsofts gaming devision and Sony('s gaming devision) are losing money. Yet Nintendo isn't.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#60  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@locopatho said:

@KungfuKitten said:

That's a load of shit. Quality DOES sell, that is precisely why the WiiU is struggling so badly. If Nintendo had released the WiiU with PS4 levels of power, online, and third party support, it'd be selling fantastically well, and so would their games.

OMG I'm not going to argue with you again until you start making some sense. Quality does sell? Yeah look at all those SM3Dworld sales! Or any Nintendo game sales lately. Yeah their hardware is of such bad quality... It has the least amount of problems. It's not as powerful and doesn't have the same kind of online support that is true but does that matter if their games are some of the best while not making use of those features? You can get third party support on any other platform so that doesn't matter nearly as much as you're making it out to. You're always thinking of arguments that are never quite right but sound well enough to confuse people and you've elevated it to such an art that it made me wonder for a while if you were being paid for it. I'm just putting you on ignore because unlike other people who just aren't very smart you seem to purposefully never learn from your mistakes.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#61 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

Not out of the question though. They could release a more powerful Super Wii system that's 100% B/C with the Wii U in 2015. A system that's actually more powerful then the PS4 and XB1. Then discontinue the Wii U. Get every 3rd party company on board that they can and release some stellar that's that look and play better then PS4 and XB1. The suck part is that support for the Wii U would die and everyone would have to upgrade to the Super Wii. The system could be expensive though and PS4 & XB1 would probably have price cuts by then. It would be a big gamble. Saving the Wii U will be hard right now though. Nintendo really needs to drop the price to $250 or less if they want to sell more Wii U's.

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

@blackace said:

@MonsieurX said:

Not out of the question though. They could release a more powerful Super Wii system that's 100% B/C with the Wii U in 2015. A system that's actually more powerful then the PS4 and XB1. Then discontinue the Wii U. Get every 3rd party company on board that they can and release some stellar that's that look and play better then PS4 and XB1. The suck part is that support for the Wii U would die and everyone would have to upgrade to the Super Wii. The system could be expensive though and PS4 & XB1 would probably have price cuts by then. It would be a big gamble. Saving the Wii U will be hard right now though. Nintendo really needs to drop the price to $250 or less if they want to sell more Wii U's.

It costs over 350 dollars to make a Wii U right now, imagine how much a PS4 quality Wii would cost, 599 US dollars.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#63  Edited By GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

@blackace said:

@MonsieurX said:

lunacy. This is no different than those people saying Nintendo would release a 3DS with two circle pads standard. A move like that is a huge slap in the face to anyone who bought a launch console

Gens are NOT won with power. They just need the games.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#64 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12304 Posts

Nintendo probably has enough money to ride this entire gen solely on the 3DS but they need to wake the **** up. They need to invest heavily on their next console because by the time this next gen ends, Sony and Microsoft will be far beyond Nintendo.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#65 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@jsmoke03 said:

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@Shinobishyguy said:

@jsmoke03: problem is them releasing games on other platforms would devalue their next handheld. People won't want to put money down on it if they can get their pokemon or mario fix on a system they already own

Gamers that say they want Nintendo to go third party are gamers that want to keep playing Nintendo games. Therefore, if they love Nintendo games so much, why not buy the hardware and get the games? It really makes no sense if someone rather buy both the PS4 and Xbone first parties, but want to buy Nintendo games for third parties.

@Shinobishyguy it wouldnt devalue their next handheld because they dont have to be the same game. a mario handheld doesnt have to be a console version of a game...and just because i said they should go third party and release a handheld doesnt mean they have to throw business sense out the door. what you said doesnt necessarily go hand in hand.

@FireEmblem_Man there are a lot of reasons why i would want them to go third party

1. not everyone can afford to buy more than one system (not a problem for me, but it is for a lot of people)
  2. the controllers have been horrible since n64 (my personal opinion)
  3. there isnt enough interesting games on nintendos platform to justify buying a whole system. if i only like fire emblem, pokemon and xeno games or i only like mario games, that is like 10 games i would buy for a system while i like 30 games for another, then i would pick a system that gives me more games i am interested in.
  4. nintendo didnt compete with ms and sony on computing power....
  5. gimmicks
  6. controller

and every other reason under the sun why a lot of people dont buy the console

You're flat broke, yet you can afford buying either a PS4 or Xbone, but can't make room for a Wii U?

I want a PS4, but like you I'm broke too so I may have to settle with a Wii U instead or just a 3DS all generation long as I still has a good PC to run most games that are coming out for the X1 and PS4.

i said its not a problem for me because i chose to spend it on gaming but i do cut corners in other things. i dont dine out and i dont buy clothes unless i need to so thats how i can save for a system....and i dont buy it til price cuts happen except for the ps4 (thank you gf) other people have other priorities than gaming and dont see value in buying more than one console.

and i could make room for the wii u but im not because the only game that interests me is X....im not going to buy a system for just one game when i dont see other games that im interested in for the system. after x, what other games does the wii u have to offer? mario and zelda? metroid? i realized when i was 8 that i didnt like 2d platformers and soured on 3d mario after sunshine. i have yet to finish a zelda game.....metroid didnt keep my interest on the gc.

what i want is a console version of their handheld ips. pokemon, fire emblem, advanced wars and golden sun.....if the wii u had those titles releasing, id go buy one. but it isnt so im not.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

Nintendo just needs to expand the appeal of its 1st party games and really try to get their price into the $250 -$200 range. They also need to secure some key 3rd party games as exclusives and ramp up advertising. I think in general they are fine but imo they have to really push some new IPs and the strength of some of the other quality in their line up. Mario can't save them forever. Next Zelda also needs darker look in line with twilight princess.

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#67  Edited By flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

I'll get laughed out of here for this opinion, though I still think that if Nintendo ever goes Third Party, they could do what Apogee did with Rise of the Triad and get away with selling fan-made games on Steam, provided that they're actually worth selling.

I can't be the only one who wants to see Interceptor Entertainment work on Majora's Mask :x

babycakin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 babycakin
Member since 2012 • 1597 Posts

Get it together Charizard! Not a way for the sheep king to act! D: