BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

What's your overall impression of Crysis as a whole in regard to gameplay, story, and voice acting? Do you think it's a true AAA series? I just completed Crysis 3 on PC; I've had it for a while, but only completed it recently because I had stopped playing it once I reached the final chapter. Anyhow, I think the overall series is a great one, and that it actually became better as it progressed.

While the open-world approach of Crysis and Crysis Warhead was awesome, it did get a bit boring just roaming around similar environments, which were mostly grassy plains and forests. Also, the voice acting, aside from that of Psycho, was pretty bland in Crysis and Crysis Warhead.

Fast forward to Crysis 2, and the series took a serious turn for the better. Sure, the gameplay became linear, but the story was so intriguing that I looked forward to getting to the next checkpoint as quickly as possible, and subsequently didn't miss the freedom of timelessly roaming about the environment. I wanted to know what happened to Prophet and Raptor team during their time in New York prior to Alcatraz's arrival, and exactly what knowledge they gained about the Ceph. Also, the road to each checkpoint was so action-packed, that I didn't care that I was restricted to it.

Now, after completing Crysis 3, I am convinced that it's the best in the series. Though the gameplay remained linear, it did become a bit more open, as maps were a bit larger and filled with more routes to checkpoints than in Crysis 2. However, what makes Crysis 3 the best in the series, in my opinion, is the story and the acting. Psycho, Claire, and - most importantly - Prophet, all shine in this game; each of their stories and portrayals are top notch, and their dialogue is resonant; Psycho's bitterness at being an ordinary Human, no longer equipped with a Nanosuit, and his subsequent wariness of the world truly make you pity and understand him. Claire's guilt in regard to being forced by C.E.L.L. to strip Psycho of his Nanosuit and her subsequent effort to right that wrong by assisting the effort in stopping C.E.L.L. are also touching. However, Prophet's issues are the most impactful. He's sacrificed his humanity, and is now just an A.I. in a suit occupied by a brain dead man other than himself; and he's lost all but one of his friends (i.e. only Psycho remains) in his battle against the Ceph. His monologue at the end is incredible and sent chills down my spine and made my eyes water: "My name is Laurance Barnes; they called me Prophet. Remember me."

Anyhow, folks. What are your impressions on this series?

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

Crysis 2 had such a short campaign that was sooooooooooooooooooooo limited in scope, you could've maxed out your powers very quickly and it generally posed very little challenge. The last level and the ending were a total joke. There wasn't that much of a plot to begin with but even then the game couldn't make it sound less generic sounding at every turn.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Crysis and Warhead were the best of the series, and it went downhill from there

Actually, Crytek hasn't really made a good game since Warhead

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BluRayHiDef

@lostrib said:

What makes Crysis 2 and Crysis 3 so bad? Especially 3, which I think was amazing. Also, would you say that the boss battle with the Alpha Ceph at the end of Crysis 3 is the best in the series and one of the best in recent gaming history?

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

@lostrib said:

Totally agreed. I beat Crysis twice and Warhead four times, I had to force myself to finish Crysis 2 and 3 :(

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

it goes something like

Crysis was amazing

Crysis warhead was great

Crysis 2 was mediocre at best and i really hated the limited scope and linearity

Crysis 3 thankfully somewhat returned to the openness of the first games and gameplay wise was up there with the Crysis 1 and i liked it ( still though not as good as C1 )

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lostrib

@BluRayHiDef said:

@lostrib said:

What makes Crysis 2 and Crysis 3 so bad? Especially 3, which I think was amazing. Also, would you say that the boss battle with the Alpha Ceph at the end of Crysis 3 is the best in the series and one of the best in recent gaming history?

Lol, no. You just hide a bunch, it's really more frustrating than fun.

I would say Crysis 2 is probably worse than 3, but both games end up feeling like a chore and lack an interesting story. Hell the overall story of the Crysis series is barely coherent

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

After Warhead Crysis 2 did a total 180 on gameplay style and totally destroyed the story and what made it good. While Crysis 3 improved on the gameplay from the 2nd the continuation of the story from the 2nd made it meh.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BluRayHiDef

@lostrib said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

@lostrib said:

I would say Crysis 2 is probably worse than 3, but both games end up feeling like a chore and lack an interesting story. Hell the overall story of the Crysis series is barely coherent

How could you not be intrigued and touched by Prophet's story? His monologue at the end of Crysis 3 was so resounding. I loved it.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lostrib

@BluRayHiDef said:

@lostrib said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

@lostrib said:

How could you not be intrigued and touched by Prophet's story? His monologue at the end of Crysis 3 was so resounding. I loved it.

Yes prophet is badass, as is his voice over, but the story is not interesting. And it's really damn convoluted. Heck Prophet isn't even prophet

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

I think Crysis 3 is a good game, as good as it gets in gameplay. However uninteresting design drags it down. I liked the MP as well, it was fast.

Crysis 2 is not, it has some good segments, but it's first part is a drag. Buggy too.

The first and warhead are god tier (the alien parts were not fantastic, but I liked fighting them in warhead).

It's unfortunate that the last one didn't come with tools.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#13 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Crysis 1 is quite inconsistent for my tastes. Some levels were great, others were just weirdly paced. Warhead was better in this aspect. I had fun with Crysis 2 but it's extremely shallow compared to the others. It's a game that's fun once and that's about it.

I never finished Crysis 3. My GTX 570 only has 1.2 gb of vram and it's a massive bottleneck which causes me to have to turn the graphics down quit a bit and that just doesn't settle well with me. Hopefully I'll be getting a new GPU this year and then I will play through it.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

Imo it serves the same purpose as killzone. Eye candy and nothing more.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Crysis up until you hit the linear parts is excellent. Crysis 2 is very pretty but incredibly boring and derivative. Crysis 3 I assume is much like 2 but worse.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Crysis and Crysis Warhead are some of the best FPS games out there, particularly for when they came out. Crysis 2 and Crysis 3 are average because of their gameplay. Also, Crysis was a million times better looking contextually compared to Crysis 2 and Crysis 3. Crysis 2 was one of the biggest disappointments of all time graphically, and was a major disappointment altogether. Crysis 3 was a good improvement on the second, but elevated the gameplay from what I'd call a "6/10" to a "7/10". Crysis is hovering in between "9/10" and "10/10" for me in the gameplay department. Crysis makes TLOU feel like doing taxes by comparison.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#17 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Crysis 3 was for me the peak of the series. I wasnt a fan of the "open-world" structure of the 1st game when most you can do in that environment was walking and driving. It became boring after a while. Crysis 2 ditched the worthless stuff present in Crysis 1 and gave to us a more well paced, story driven game. It was more linear sure, but made me going further into the game while I had to force myself to finish the 1st game.

Crysis 3, well, in my humble opinion is one of the most underrated shooters of last gen and I'll never understand the hate it gets. The only real flaw I can point towards it is the overall lenght of the game, everything else was spot on. The A.I. was the best in the series, graphics were jaw breaking, gameplay was the same as crysis 2 but with a few tweaks here and there to make it more intuitive, and the areas were more open aswell, allowing freedom of choice when aproaching an enemy base (wasnt that what Crysis 1 fans wanted after all? so why all the hate?)

In my (un)popular opinion

Crysis 3 > Crysis 2 > Crysis

Never played Warhead, even though it came with my Crysis Maximum edition copy. When I have the patience I might give it a go

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

You can play the first game hundreds of times and each time it's completely different, that's what I love about it.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BluRayHiDef

@Vatusus: Wow. You and I could not agree more.

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By m3dude1
Member since 2007 • 2334 Posts

@lostrib said:

this. theres honestly not a single fun moment in the entirety of crysis 2 and 3

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

@m3dude1 said:

@lostrib said:

Going stealth mode in Crysis 3 with the bow and watching them trying to hunt you is hella fun my friend... especially with the difficulty ramped up...

The games are only fun if you're fun..... if you're boring and play the game boring then it will be boring....

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BluRayHiDef

@m3dude1 said:

@lostrib said:

Nonsense! The boss battle at the end of Crysis 3 is among the most fun and epic I've ever played. it's so bad ass. "Onslaught detected." Who says that? That's the coolest thing I've ever heard.

happyduds77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 happyduds77
Member since 2012 • 1688 Posts

Meh is the best way I can describe the series. Incredible graphics, but shallow on gameplay.

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 m3dude1

it took me months to finish crysis 3, which considering how short the game is, speaks volumes about how much fun it was.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

For better or worse Crysis is a true AAA title, in the vain you would expect, Unbelevably pretty, great sounding, aimless and ultimately completely forgettable.

I appriciate what the series tryied to do, and what it managed to do in C1 and in some capacity in C3, and the gunplay was fairly decent. But it is a series that has been pleagued by dropped balls in such a scale that it almost became laughable, the story went iffy, and if I hear "The Alpha Zeth" once more, I will positively snap.

It is one of those games that buckled under the weight of having to be cinematic, and fairly chear that they did not plan the story before making the sequals.

So never really a favorite of mine, I by far liked Far Cry better then Crysis, and often consider it a great showcase for Graphics but a major letdown for story in games and how they are portrayed.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BluRayHiDef

@happyduds77 said:

Meh is the best way I can describe the series. Incredible graphics, but shallow on gameplay.

Shallow on gameplay? Let's see.

1. Nanosuit that provides a plethora of abilities and subsequently numerous tactical options (e.g. invisibility, super strength, super speed, temporary invulnerability to gunfire).

2. A plethora of weapons, both man-made and Ceph-made. All sorts of assault rifles, sniper rifles, hand guns, grenades, and a bow and arrow that can fire different types of arrows. In regard to the alien weapons, you've got the Reaper Cannon, the X-Pac, the Bolt Sniper, and many others.

3. Human and alien enemy types, the latter having an abundance of different types.

4. The ability to use vehicles, such as tanks and weaponized go-carts.

5. Tons of upgrades for the Nanosuit that can supplement your style of play.

6. Intel collectibles that flesh out the fictional world of the games.

I don't see what's so shallow about the gameplay of the Crysis series. I think you just wanted to bash the game and came up with a half-assed explanation as to why you don't like it.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lostrib

@BluRayHiDef: cool voiceovers does not make the final battle any good

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@m3dude1 said:

@lostrib said:

I don't dislike the games THAT much, but I agree that the fun moments in these games are way too far and few between. The first hour of Crysis is incredibly memorable for me - they put you into the meat of the game almost immediately. But what the hell is with the first hour of Crysis 2 and Crysis 3? They couldn't be any more off-putting or yawn-inducing if they possibly tried. I mean really - who wants to start up Crysis and play a drab, linear corridor fest with no environmental interactivity? Begs the question: what were they thinking? It feels like they hired people from Call of Duty to make their campaigns and forgot what made Crysis stand tall above other FPS games in the genre.

Gone are the days you start up a game and get into the fun of it within the first 10 minutes. Now you have to endure 10 minute intros written by failed Hollywood writers and 30 minutes of linear corridor gameplay. Every 3 minutes your control is hijacked so you can be forced to watch some gratuitous cutscene. Zzzz...

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BluRayHiDef

@lostrib said:

@BluRayHiDef: cool voiceovers does not make the final battle any good

That's just one aspect. What makes it a great battle is the difficulty, the scale (i.e. the Alpha Ceph is huge!), the sense of chaos (e.g. constant onslaught by the Alpha Ceph and being attacked by numerous Ceph drones), the music, etc. It's a boss battle that overwhelms the senses of sight and hearing (in a good way) and that brings a smile to one's face because of the little things such as the vocal notification, "Onslaught detected."

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#30 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

Crysis 1 has some very good open levels that allow to the player options how to play without treating them like a fool like most FPS now, due to consoles. It has some bad aspects. Characters are terrible. Terrible flying section. But overall it is worth the price of admission.

Warhead has tighter levels but still maintains freedom. It has a better main character a better cheeseball story and in general, is better.

Crysis 2 is a console game designed for children.

Crysis 3 is essentially the software equivalent of a coffin.

Overall Crysis started out as a great promising series that quickly nose dived into the oceon thanks to

A) Pc pirates

B) Consoles

C) Entitled developers

A great example in a miniature timeline of what Halo done to FPS. Made them all bad.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11281 Posts

Here are my personal ratings for the Crysis franchise:

Crysis : 9.5/10

Crysis Warhead: 9.0/10

Crysis 2: 6.0/10

Crysis 3 - 8.5/10

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 m3dude1

@KHAndAnime said:

@m3dude1 said:

@lostrib said:

I don't dislike the games THAT much, but I agree that the fun moments in these games are way too far and few between. The first hour of Crysis is incredibly memorable for me - they put you into the meat of the game almost immediately. But what the hell is with the first hour of Crysis 2 and Crysis 3? They couldn't be any more off-putting or yawn-inducing if they possibly tried. I mean really - who wants to start up Crysis and play a drab, linear corridor fest with no environmental interactivity? Begs the question: what were they thinking? It feels like they hired people from Call of Duty to make their campaigns and forgot what made Crysis stand tall above other FPS games in the genre.

Gone are the days you start up a game and get into the fun of it within the first 10 minutes. Now you have to endure 10 minute intros written by failed Hollywood writers and 30 minutes of linear corridor gameplay. Every 3 minutes your control is hijacked so you can be forced to watch some gratuitous cutscene. Zzzz...

cod is fun for what is is tho. i havent bought a COD since modern warfare 1, but they are fun. the developers know how to make that type of game. crysis 2 and 3 are epic fails.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

The first Crysis sucks. 2 is mediocre at best and 3 is somewhere in between. I never liked how fast the powers drained. It made them pretty pointless to use.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BluRayHiDef

@mems_1224 said:

The first Crysis sucks. 2 is mediocre at best and 3 is somewhere in between. I never liked how fast the powers drained. It made them pretty pointless to use.

The powers drained quickly so that the game could be balanced. Also, you can increase their longevity by upgrades in Crysis 2 and 3, though not to the point where the game becomes unbalanced.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#35 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

My freind, this is to stop the player essentially being "god" and removing any challenge. Thankfully, Crytek rectified this with Crysis 2,, essentially allowing the console people "press X to win" ability.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@BluRayHiDef said:

@mems_1224 said:

The powers drained quickly so that the game could be balanced. Also, you can increase their longevity by upgrades in Crysis 2 and 3, though not to the point where the game becomes unbalanced.

Well it made the games incredibly boring.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Crysis 1 has some very good open levels that allow to the player options how to play without treating them like a fool like most FPS now, due to consoles. It has some bad aspects. Characters are terrible. Terrible flying section. But overall it is worth the price of admission.

Warhead has tighter levels but still maintains freedom. It has a better main character a better cheeseball story and in general, is better.

Crysis 2 is a console game designed for children.

Crysis 3 is essentially the software equivalent of a coffin.

Overall Crysis started out as a great promising series that quickly nose dived into the oceon thanks to

A) Pc pirates

B) Consoles

C) Entitled developers

A great example in a miniature timeline of what Halo done to FPS. Made them all bad.

Letter A isnt quite true Crysis 1 sold 1 million copies within first three months, The major reason why its sales weren't fast paced and large amounts because of the system requirements, and FPS's aren't everyone's bag of tea.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#38 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

I'm not a fan of the Crysis series. Seems just a way to show off graphics engines. The first Crysis was the best in my eyes.

SuddenlyTragic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SuddenlyTragic
Member since 2005 • 976 Posts

I vaguely even remember the final boss battle, I was just trying to get the game over with. There have been a LOT of great bosses in gaming history and I highly doubt this one will be on many peoples list of best boss battles.

For me it's Crysis 1 and Warhead, then 2 (which I actually enjoyed, way more so than most people), and then 3 being the worst by far in my opinion.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

I feel they're very poor. The first one was my favorite and since then it just seemed down hill.

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By m3dude1

crysis and warhead = 9/10

crysis 2 and 3 = 1/10

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

When it came to boss battles in the Crysis series, I had the most fun messing around with the stealth cephs in Crysis 2. The boss in Crysis 3 was somewhat okay. The bosses in Crysis and Warhead were downright mediocre.

I loved the jungle environments in Contact, Recovery, Relic, Assault, Onslaught, and Awakening. From there, the other levels (Core, Paradise Lost, Exodus, Ascension, and Reckoning) just went downhill.

I knew Crysis 2 would become more linear once the setting moved to a city. So, that wasn't a shock. The core gameplay didn't seem too different aside from the lack of flying cephs. I did expect more consistent graphics and that I saw. All in all, not too bad.

Crysis 3 was more of Crysis 2 to me. So, no problems there.

What I absolutely hated with the series was the inclusion of so many training wheels, so much so, there's no suspense in the unknown anymore. But, I fixed that by turning off the HUD UI via console.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 lostrib

...and this is just another thread for Blu to spam/advertise for his youtube channel

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 BluRayHiDef

@lostrib said:

...and this is just another thread for Blu to spam/advertise for his youtube channel

Honestly, no. When I completed the game last night, I became excited to the point that I wanted to make a thread about it. I'm posting the video because it's relevant to the thread.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 lostrib

@BluRayHiDef said:

@lostrib said:

Honestly, no. When I completed the game last night, I became excited to the point that I wanted to make a thread about it. I'm posting the video because it's relevant to the thread.

Uh huh...

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 BluRayHiDef

@lostrib said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

@lostrib said:

Uh huh...

Onslaught detected.

happyduds77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 happyduds77

@BluRayHiDef said:

@happyduds77 said:

1. Nanosuit that provides a plethora of abilities and subsequently numerous tactical options (e.g. invisibility, super strength, super speed, temporary invulnerability to gunfire).

2. A plethora of weapons, both man-made and Ceph-made. All sorts of assault rifles, sniper rifles, hand guns, grenades, and a bow and arrow that can fire different types of arrows. In regard to the alien weapons, you've got the Reaper Cannon, the X-Pac, the Bolt Sniper, and many others.

3. Human and alien enemy types, the latter having an abundance of different types.

I don't see what's so shallow about the gameplay of the Crysis series. I think you just wanted to bash the game and came up with a half-assed explanation as to why you don't like it.

Those are pretty ordinary features.

The AI is dumb as brick so that diminishes all the things you just listed.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By BluRayHiDef

@happyduds77 said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

@happyduds77 said:

Alien weaponry and a nanosuit are not "pretty ordinary features." There's nothing like them in any other game.

happyduds77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 happyduds77

@BluRayHiDef said:

@happyduds77 said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

@happyduds77 said:

Alien weaponry and a nanosuit are not "pretty ordinary features." There's nothing like them in any other game.

Somewhat different in shape and size yet functions just like any other weapon.