The best PC RPGs of all time, according to PC GAMER

• 128 results
#1 Edited by jhonMalcovich (4938 posts) -

Divinity: Original Sin already made it to the list : )

The best PC RPGs of all time

25. South Park: The Stick of Truth

24. Dungeons of Dredmor

23. Anachronox

22. Legend of Grimrock

21. Torchlight 2

20. Arx Fatalis

19. Mount & Blade: Warband

18. Gothic 2

17. Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss

16. Divinity: Original Sin

15. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2

14. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

13. Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls

12. Fallout: New Vegas

11. Dragon Age: Origins

10. The Witcher 2

9. System Shock 2

8. Ultima VII: The Black Gate

7. Deus Ex

6. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

5. Mass Effect 2

4. Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition

3. Fallout 2

2. Baldur’s Gate 2

1. Planescape: Torment

#2 Edited by RoboCopISJesus (1561 posts) -

The top 3 are great. #4 and 5 don't match tho. Shoulda been Morrowind for 4 and KOTOR for 5

#3 Edited by MonsieurX (30838 posts) -

I don't necessarily agree with the ranking but I agree with most of the choices.

But Diablo 3 in there but not Diablo 2,wth?

Fallout 3 but not Fallout 2?

#4 Posted by jhonMalcovich (4938 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

I don't necessarily agree with the ranking but I agree with most of the choices.

Fallout 2 is Number 3.

#5 Posted by wis3boi (31583 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

fallout 2 is #3 ;)

#6 Edited by Zelda187 (999 posts) -

Divinity should at least be in the Top 5

I don't even know why the hell The Witcher 2 is considered an RPG. Ditto for Mass Effect 2 even though I think it's a great game. It's a shooter with dialogue options.

#7 Posted by freedomfreak (41402 posts) -

We should go over these titles and discuss which of those are actual RPGs. That's always fun.

#8 Posted by parkurtommo (27371 posts) -

Kinda wish I was older and could have appreciated those old games back when they were truly relevant and innovative.

#9 Edited by jhonMalcovich (4938 posts) -

My observations:

Agree with 1,2,3,4, Mass Effect 2 should be replaced by ME1. And Witcher 2, I am not sure if it was an actual rpg.

#10 Posted by MonsieurX (30838 posts) -

@Zelda187 said:

I don't even know why the hell The Witcher 2 is considered an RPG. Ditto for Mass Effect 2 even though I think it's a great game. It's a shooter with dialogue options.

Why wouldn't it be a RPG?

#11 Posted by RoboCopISJesus (1561 posts) -

Kotor1 and Morrowind missing = wtf

#12 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (14683 posts) -

oh god Anachronox was terrible.

Arx Fatalis is awesome.

I just can't consider Skyrim an rpg in the same vein as the rest of those titles (Barring ME2), I can't do it. It's more of an action adventure game that takes place in first person where you mash the left and right mouse buttons, lol.

#13 Posted by jhonMalcovich (4938 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

@Zelda187 said:

Why wouldn't it be a RPG?

I consider The Witcher 2 to be more like an action adventure with some rpg elements and not linear story.

#14 Posted by jhonMalcovich (4938 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Arx Fatalis is awesome.

I just can't consider Skyrim an rpg, I can't do it. It's more of an action adventure game that takes place in first person where you mash the left and right mouse buttons, lol.

You can't be serious about Anachronox.

#15 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (14683 posts) -

@jhonMalcovich said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Arx Fatalis is awesome.

I just can't consider Skyrim an rpg, I can't do it. It's more of an action adventure game that takes place in first person where you mash the left and right mouse buttons, lol.

You can't be serious about Anachronox.

Oh I'm serious, I played that title last year and it was so damn bad.

#16 Posted by clyde46 (46795 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Arx Fatalis is awesome.

I just can't consider Skyrim an rpg in the same vein as the rest of those titles (Barring ME2), I can't do it. It's more of an action adventure game that takes place in first person where you mash the left and right mouse buttons, lol.

plus its a shit game.

#17 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (14683 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Arx Fatalis is awesome.

plus its a shit game.

Right, a shitty action/ adventure game with copious amounts of walking.

#18 Edited by CyberLips (1824 posts) -

What is considered a pure RPG, SW?

#19 Edited by Zelda187 (999 posts) -

Looking at this list really makes me realize how shitty and watered down the RPG genre has become.

I miss the glory says of the SNES with Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy III, Earthbound, Secret of Mana, Breath of Fire, Super Mario RPG, Ogre Battle, etc.

#20 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (14683 posts) -

@RoboCopISJesus said:

Kotor1 and Morrowind missing = wtf

Fucking seriously, Morrowind is the best Elder scrolls game and these plebs don't even have it.

#21 Posted by jhonMalcovich (4938 posts) -

@CyberLips said:

What is considered a pure RPG, SW?

Baldur's Gate franchise. The purest RPG ever.

#22 Posted by Flubbbs (3310 posts) -

i miss old school Ultima games.. Ultima Online is my favorite game of all time

#23 Posted by Cranler (8809 posts) -

Not only should Gothic 1 be on the list but it should be in the top 5. It's right up there with Half Life and GTA 3 as one of the most innovative games of all time.

#24 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (28032 posts) -

How is Diablo 3 on there?

#25 Edited by AdrianWerner (28064 posts) -

Pretyt bad list. No Fallout? No Darklands? No Betrayal at Krondor? Not even one Might and Magic or Wizardry title? Legend of Grimrock over Eye of Beholder II, Lands of Lore or Dungeon Master? Lol..no.

Of course, no list will ever satisfy everyone. But it could be done much much better. RPGCodex's list is by far the best list of this kind I've ever seen

http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9453

#26 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16843 posts) -

I might buy Vampire the Masquerade soon. I've heard a ton of good things about it.

#27 Posted by Daious (1686 posts) -

When scrolling down the list, I got scared because I didn't see baldur's gate 2. Fantastic game. Well deserved rank.

#28 Posted by Daious (1686 posts) -

@AdrianWerner said:

Pretyt bad list. No Fallout? No Darklands? No Betrayal at Krondor? Not even one Might and Magic or Wizardry title? Legend of Grimrock over Eye of Beholder II, Lands of Lore or Dungeon Master? Lol..no.

Of course, no list will ever satisfy everyone. But it could be done much much better. RPGCodex's list is by far the best list of this kind I've ever seen

http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9453

Fallout 2 is number 3

#29 Posted by jg4xchamp (48709 posts) -

Majority of the list is meh.

But Planescape Torment at #1 is legit.

#30 Posted by 7MDMA (314 posts) -

Top 3 is spot on at least. Black Isle were godlike at making RPG's.

#31 Posted by lawlessx (46842 posts) -

where is morrowind and how did mass effect get on there?

#32 Edited by IgGy621985 (4842 posts) -

@jhonMalcovich said:

21. Torchlight 2

- good game, but doesn't really belong to this list

19. Mount & Blade: Warband

- same as for T2

18. Gothic 2

- a bugged mess

15. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2

- too low on the list

14. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

- great game, but a bugged mess

- not really

- lol

This is what I don't like about their list.

#33 Posted by foxhound_fox (89411 posts) -
@jhonMalcovich said:

11. Dragon Age: Origins
5. Mass Effect 2

Amazing list aside from these weird choices.

@turtlethetaffer said:

I might buy Vampire the Masquerade soon. I've heard a ton of good things about it.

It's amazing aside from the combat. Get the unofficial patch. Also, go with melee combat and/or magic. Guns are the worst.

Personally, I like playing either Toreador (for the being able to convince anyone of anything) or the Tremere (for the blood magic gloriousness). Also, if you do enjoy it, you must play as a Malkavian a second time through.

#34 Posted by lostrib (39050 posts) -

wait KOTOR 2 is on the list but not the first one?

They made some odd choices like D3 and not D2

#35 Posted by Roler42 (782 posts) -

Surprsied human revolution isn't there, oh well, at least the original deus ex made it on the list

#36 Edited by GhoX (5060 posts) -

@lostrib said:

They made some odd choices like D3 and not D2

The D3 expansion actually made the game a worthy successor, but it certainly doesn't stand up to the glory of D2. No Neverwinter Nights 1 either.

#37 Posted by PyratRum (561 posts) -

Not a bad list except for the omission of Neverwinter Nights a.k.a. the greatest PC RPG of all time.

#38 Posted by foxhound_fox (89411 posts) -

@lostrib said:

Uh... yeah. Because the second one was superior to the first in almost every way.

#39 Posted by uninspiredcup (9654 posts) -

Really need to play Anachronox at some point.

#40 Edited by uninspiredcup (9654 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

@lostrib said:

Uh... yeah. Because the second one was superior to the first in almost every way.

Very much agree. With restored content easily one of the best RPG's made. Astounding game. Retrospect and history have been kind to KOTOR 2.

#41 Posted by lostrib (39050 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

@lostrib said:

I actually enjoyed much of KOTOR 2 more than the first one, but if I remember correctly the story itself was weaker than the first one, mostly due to the game being rushed and a lot of cut content

#42 Posted by foxhound_fox (89411 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Very much agree. With restored content easily one of the best RPG's made. Astounding game.

They really need to make an Age of Empires II HD Edition-like remake of the KotOR games. With all the updated content, shiny new graphics/resolution and modern compatibility.

#43 Posted by Postosuchus (201 posts) -

Pretty hilarious that Dragon Age 2 is not on there, given the fact that this is the same rag that gave it a 94 and said it had "the best RPG combat ever" or some such. Looks like even they recognize that was BS.

#44 Posted by uninspiredcup (9654 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Very much agree. With restored content easily one of the best RPG's made. Astounding game.

They really need to make an Age of Empires II HD Edition-like remake of the KotOR games. With all the updated content, shiny new graphics/resolution and modern compatibility.

The game can be modded but it takes a shit ton of work and is generally a pain in the ass.
As you may be aware, KOTOR 2 was a bridging point, with a whole story plannned with KOTOR 3 with the real "Sith" linking Biowares inferior game (and thus lifting it). Sadly, not to be.

#45 Posted by Heil68 (45721 posts) -

Not too many exclusives on there.

#46 Posted by bbkkristian (14963 posts) -

Is planetscape torment that good to beat out BG2? :o I've never played it.

#47 Posted by uninspiredcup (9654 posts) -

@bbkkristian said:

Is planetscape torment that good to beat out BG2? :o I've never played it.

Story-wise it does what Ivan Drago done to Apollo Creed.

#48 Posted by Postosuchus (201 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

Not too many exclusives on there.

14 or 15 of 25 are exclusives. I'd say that's quite a bit.

#49 Edited by hiphops_savior (7973 posts) -

@pyratrum: It's OC is crap, much of the value of NWN comes from its modules. It's as close to DnD on PC as you can get.

#50 Edited by KittenNose (552 posts) -

Meh, I don't like the list. The criteria is both exclusive and insufficient, which has to be like the worst conurbation for a top twenty five list. Without stating the qualifier that the list excludes console games it just seems myopic, particularly since I can and do play console games on my PC, and it can even be done legally with the original game disks.

Or at least it could on XP. I don't know if the software I purchased from a department store to play PS1 games still works on 7, but that largely seems irrelevant. Atlas and Enix have forgotten about RPGs I played legally on my PC that are better then many of the games on this list, so even if one presumes that the list is closed to games only legally playable on a console, there are some sadly forgotten titles. I played Suikoden II on the PC, and it should be near the top.

On top of that, how can games like Fallout One be left off while games like Stick of Truth and Divinity land on it? Both are stupid fun, but they have almost no nuance. They casually offer up options so overpowered that the options to customize are almost superfluous. Want to beat Stick of Truth without paying attention? Go for thrown weapons and status debufs and say goodbye to the already thin layer of challenge. And Divinity? Picking anything but an elemental mage is only going to harm your party, and that is despite the fact that Rogues are ridiculously overpowered (invisibility and charm? Holy crap). Divinity is the only game I have ever played where I looked at obviously overpowered combinations and thought "Yeah, but is it worth giving up one of my four clones...?"

Divinity is the most promising mod platform in the last five years (with the possible exception of the new Unreal) but as a stand alone game it is kind of a let down.