The best PC RPGs of all time, according to PC GAMER

• 128 results
#51 Posted by foxhound_fox (88717 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@lostrib said:

wait KOTOR 2 is on the list but not the first one?

Uh... yeah. Because the second one was superior to the first in almost every way.

I actually enjoyed much of KOTOR 2 more than the first one, but if I remember correctly the story itself was weaker than the first one, mostly due to the game being rushed and a lot of cut content

It was only weak because of the unfinished ending. But once you learn about what the ending was supposed to feature, you see what Obsidian was building up to, and it's glorious.

The first game was typical BioWare ho-hum drama, save the universe, be ultimate evil or divine angel. The second was morally grey and ambiguous. There was no clear choice in most situations, and Kreia often chastised the Exile for making a light side/dark side decision.

#52 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (1771 posts) -

Atleast half of those are console games, and the other half probably not good enough for consoles aside from Planescape and Baldurs gate

#53 Edited by pyro1245 (864 posts) -

mmmm that's a good list. I'm not sure how I feel about Diablo 3 being on there though. I really liked the game and sunk a ton of hours into it but it's not really RPGy enough. It's really more of an action game.

#54 Posted by lostrib (37657 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames said:

Atleast half of those are console games, and the other half probably not good enough for consoles aside from Planescape and Baldurs gate

Shhhhhhh, no one cares

#55 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (1771 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

Shhhhhhh, no one cares

your loser ass obviously does to stalk my life like you do. haha

#56 Posted by lostrib (37657 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames said:

@lostrib said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

Shhhhhhh, no one cares

Who is this...?

#57 Edited by SambaLele (5424 posts) -

Top 3 are right on. The rest is almost right (some weird choices), but 20 to 25 I would do entirely different. Too lazy to do that right now.

Though it's considered a RTS, I'd consider this game a Role Playing Game (since you role play... hmm, well, not really. Anyway!) and should be on that list: Sacrifice. No, I wouldn't stretch genre's conceptions for other games, just this one exception. Oh yeah, change Diablo III to Diablo II, Kotor II to I and add Neverwinter Nights.

@bbkkristian: maybe not gameplay-wise, but story-wise... hell yeah.

#58 Edited by jg4xchamp (48357 posts) -

@bbkkristian said:

Is planetscape torment that good to beat out BG2? :o I've never played it.

It's one of the absolute best stories written in a video game.

And I say that as someone who is a pround member of #TeamLOLVideoGameStories

The actual game play? is really good for the most part in terms of character building, replayability, how you interact with the narrative, and like the questing. The encounter designs and combat? Those aren't good.

#59 Posted by princeofshapeir (14277 posts) -

It's not a terrible list, but Skyrim shouldn't be on there (especially not in the top 10), and Mass Effect 2 above Deus Ex is laughable.

#60 Posted by Pray_to_me (2873 posts) -

Torment is great. but so buggy. Played through a large portion of it twice and just had to stop because of the poor performance.

#61 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (1771 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@lostrib said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

Shhhhhhh, no one cares

Who is this...?

your father, aka your idol.

#62 Posted by lostrib (37657 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames said:

@lostrib said:

Who is this...?

Lol, you obviously don't know my father

#63 Posted by clyde46 (46598 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@lostrib said:

Who is this...?

Lol, you obviously don't know my father

My father is dead..... True story.

#64 Edited by Mozuckint (786 posts) -

Numbers 5 and 6 need changing.

#65 Posted by RoboCopISJesus (1408 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames said:

And they are all 100% of the reason PC has more aaa-aa scoring titles than any console.

Enjoy having less games, troll.

#66 Edited by Cloud_imperium (3660 posts) -

Yet another website to put Mass Effect 2 so higher in the list . Sigh . And what's Dark Souls doing there .? It is pure console game with lazy ass PC port .

#67 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16791 posts) -

@foxhound_fox: Damn man I'll have to write these down haha. I'm interested in the game because I saw a video of "ten scariest pc gaming moments ever" and it was at number one for a haunted house mission. Saw a bit of it and it was super creepy. But I'll keep those in mind although IDK when I'm gonna download it.

#68 Edited by SerOlmy (1714 posts) -

@MonsieurX:

I concur for the most part. Most of the choices are solid, but the order is a little off IMO on some examples. I would put Anachronox higher on the list personally. Some of them are head- scratchers though. Stick of Truth IMO should not be on the list, same with Diablo 3 and Dark souls 2 for various reasons. I haven't played Dungeons of Dredmore or Grimrok so I wont comment on those. Also I think Arcanum definitely belongs on that list as does IWD and Summoner. None of them were perfect, but they were all great RPGs.

@Zelda187 said:

Divinity should at least be in the Top 5

I don't even know why the hell The Witcher 2 is considered an RPG. Ditto for Mass Effect 2 even though I think it's a great game. It's a shooter with dialogue options.

To your first point, no, just no. Divinity:OS shouldn't even be on the list IMO, too many cut corners, bad decisions and crappy narrative. As to your second point I also disagree. Mass Effect definitely deserves to be on the list in some form. Personally I think 2 was the best, but I understand the arguments that ME1 was the best. It is every much an RPG as Diablo or Torchlight.

@uninspiredcup said:

Really need to play Anachronox at some point.

Yeah, it is really good. I have many fond memories playing that game. Humor, narrative, fun combat, memorable characters. That game really had it all. I still have the disk in a binder somewhere actually, right next to Freespace 2. =P

#69 Posted by voljin1987 (735 posts) -

stopped reading here

@jhonMalcovich said:

25. South Park: The Stick of Truth

#70 Posted by EVOLV3 (12209 posts) -

They put KOTOR 2 and Mass Effect 2 over the originals?

#71 Posted by lundy86_4 (43533 posts) -

No KotOR? The second one was excellent, but I though the first one was far better... Least of all for dat twist.

#72 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (14445 posts) -

@blue_hazy_basic said:

How is Diablo 3 on there?

I can't believe I missed that.

#73 Posted by mgools (905 posts) -

@lawlessx said:

where is morrowind and how did mass effect get on there?

Agree, that there could be an argument for Morrowind, and Mass Effect is on there because it was a great game.

#74 Posted by glez13 (8875 posts) -

Was The Stick of Truth really perceived as a good game? Personally I found it atrocious, with the only good thing being that it was basically a long South Park episode.

Also find it funny that Anachronox is on that list, the game is basically unfinished, even the "ending" is this massive cliffhanger.

#75 Posted by PapaTrop (1326 posts) -

I don't really care what anyone thinks are the greatest games ever, but this list seems to conflict with itself quite heavily.

I also say this without knowing why or how PC gamer came to this list.

I mean, we all know Morrowind is the best Elder Scrolls game as far as "RPG" is concerned, but Skyrim is there instead based on....gameplay advancements? But if that's the case then why are games like Planescape, Fallout, and Baldur's Gate at the top of the list? Those aren't really good as far as gameplay is concerned.

And then having games like Diablo, South Park, Dungeons of Dredmor, and Mount and Blade (among others) in there as well seems odd. I'm not saying they're bad, but they aren't what I'd expect to find in a list that begins with Planescape Torment.

But this is the same site that told us all that Dragon Age 2 was the best game ever (though it's absent from this list which is also odd), so who knows?

#76 Posted by MonsieurX (30442 posts) -

Oh hell yes! I'm due for my yearly replay

@SerOlmy said:

@MonsieurX:

I concur for the most part. Most of the choices are solid, but the order is a little off IMO on some examples. I would put Anachronox higher on the list personally. Some of them are head- scratchers though. Stick of Truth IMO should not be on the list, same with Diablo 3 and Dark souls 2 for various reasons. I haven't played Dungeons of Dredmore or Grimrok so I wont comment on those. Also I think Arcanum definitely belongs on that list as does IWD and Summoner. None of them were perfect, but they were all great RPGs.

#77 Posted by madsnakehhh (14491 posts) -

Not really agree with South Park, sure the game is fun, but among the best 25 RPG games on PC of all time? give me a break.

Still, aside from a couple of odd choices, this is a solid list.

#78 Posted by LordQuorthon (5348 posts) -
@jhonMalcovich said:

@CyberLips said:

What is considered a pure RPG, SW?

Baldur's Gate franchise. The purest RPG ever.

Yeah. The way I see it, the closer you get to the pen and paper experience, the more roleplaying the game you are playing is. It's not that they HAVE to use D&D/World of Darkness/Whatever rules, they just have to take make you feel like a good, smooth-playing pen and paper session. And that peaked with Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment.

Mind you, for their time, early Japanese RPGs did a splendid job too compared to stuff like Wizardry, but Black Isle games absolutely nailed it.

#79 Edited by Wanderer5 (25722 posts) -

@parkurtommo said:

Kinda wish I was older and could have appreciated those old games back when they were truly relevant and innovative.

Heh probably the same for me, through I did enjoy System Shock 2 a bit. I should play Torchlight 2 some more. Probably a bit surprise that Arcanum isn't on there, as I been hearing that one quite a bit.

#80 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (16352 posts) -

@GhoX said:

The D3 expansion actually made the game a worthy successor, but it certainly doesn't stand up to the glory of D2. No Neverwinter Nights 1 either.

I agree. Neverwinter Nights hogged a good part of the first half of the 2000's. What are these people thinking when they made the list?

#81 Posted by AdrianWerner (28058 posts) -

@daious said:

@AdrianWerner said:

Pretyt bad list. No Fallout? No Darklands? No Betrayal at Krondor? Not even one Might and Magic or Wizardry title? Legend of Grimrock over Eye of Beholder II, Lands of Lore or Dungeon Master? Lol..no.

Of course, no list will ever satisfy everyone. But it could be done much much better. RPGCodex's list is by far the best list of this kind I've ever seen

http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9453

Fallout 2 is number 3

I wrote Fallout, not Fallout 2

#82 Posted by nethernova (4113 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

oh god Anachronox was terrible.

Get out of here you soulless monster. Anachronox is one of the best games ever. A whole freaking planet shrinks down and joins your party!

#83 Posted by osirisx3 (1819 posts) -

i am into jrpgs so that list is meh for me.

#84 Posted by Shielder7 (5152 posts) -

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 and Diablo 3 are on the list but not Diablo 2 and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1?

Fail list

#85 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (14445 posts) -

@nethernova said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

oh god Anachronox was terrible.

Get out of here you soulless monster. Anachronox is one of the best games ever. A whole freaking planet shrinks down and joins your party!

I still have nightmares of that one planet where you had to vote.

#86 Edited by farrell2k (6347 posts) -

Not one AD&D gold box game on this list means that this whole list is ass.

#87 Posted by THE_DRUGGIE (24964 posts) -

Ha, I still have my hard copy of Fallout 2 for PC.

Kind of funny that you can pop that into any computer and install it since there wasn't a CD key for it.

#88 Edited by WallofTruth (1746 posts) -

@Cranler said:

Not only should Gothic 1 be on the list but it should be in the top 5. It's right up there with Half Life and GTA 3 as one of the most innovative games of all time.

Wow, I didn't expect such an excellent post from you, Gothic 1 truly is a legendary game.

#89 Posted by WallofTruth (1746 posts) -
@Zelda187 said:

Looking at this list really makes me realize how shitty and watered down the RPG genre has become.

I miss the glory says of the SNES with Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy III, Earthbound, Secret of Mana, Breath of Fire, Super Mario RPG, Ogre Battle, etc.

I know right? Personally I loved the PSX era the most. Star Ocean 2, Final Fantasy IX or the underrated Jade Cocoon which I really enjoyed as well.

The worst part is there's not a single Final Fantasy on this list, best PC RPG's my ass.

#90 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13654 posts) -

WHAT THE HELL MAN !

Wheres Bastion and Trine ? :(

and PlaneScape won ? SERIOUSLY ? !

#91 Posted by Cranler (8809 posts) -

@walloftruth said:

@Cranler said:

Not only should Gothic 1 be on the list but it should be in the top 5. It's right up there with Half Life and GTA 3 as one of the most innovative games of all time.

Wow, I didn't expect such an excellent post from you, Gothic 1 truly is a legendary game.

Excellent and what you happen to agree with aren't always going to be the same thing.

#92 Posted by padaporra (3430 posts) -

The funny thing about Torment is that some gamers today complain about modern games having shallow gameplay and looking like films. Well, Torment is a game with minimal gameplay that looks like a book.

It's certainly a great game with a memorable story, but it wouldn't be my top1. And I still have to play Baldur's Gate 2 .

#93 Edited by LordCrash88 (36 posts) -

Another crappy list that mixed proper RPGs with dumbed down linear action "RPGs"...

Also stay away with your console crap from a PC-only thread.

#94 Posted by charizard1605 (58185 posts) -

Skyrim making it on there makes me very happy. Great game :)

#95 Edited by heguain (669 posts) -

Dark Souls....Oh yeah cuz the port and controls were so awesome SPECIALLY for PC and it's so RPG-ish. Yep! :)

#96 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13654 posts) -

@LordCrash88

Theres no such thing as "Proper RPG"

#97 Posted by AdrianWerner (28058 posts) -

@padaporra said:

The funny thing about Torment is that some gamers today complain about modern games having shallow gameplay and looking like films. Well, Torment is a game with minimal gameplay that looks like a book.

It's certainly a great game with a memorable story, but it wouldn't be my top1. And I still have to play Baldur's Gate 2 .

Torment has plenty of gameplay and lots of roleplaying

#98 Edited by RyuRanVII (4251 posts) -

I simply can't respect a list of the best PC RPGs without Might and Magic VI, Arcanum, Darklands, Betrayal at Krondor, Ultima Underworld, The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall and Wizardry 8.

#99 Edited by L0ngshot (85 posts) -

#13 Diablo 3 ROS? NO, just no. Divinity: Original Sin should be in top 5.

Nobody liked Neverwinter Nights?

#100 Posted by NUSNA_Moebius (42 posts) -

Hehe "RPGs"

I would consider Mass Effect 2 a shooter before I'd call it an RPG, but I guess any game could be considered an RPG considering you're playing a ROLE in any GAME.