The 120 Hour-Long Game is Born

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

zsc4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 zsc4
Member since 2005 • 5233 Posts
I have a feeling 80% of the people who play wouldn't finish it. Including me.DireToad
Agreed they would get bored in the middle. But i would finish it no matter how long a game is.
Guess_With_ReX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 Guess_With_ReX
Member since 2007 • 1191 Posts
Well Mass Effect is 40 hours for campaign and addition 20 hours for other crap who knows?
Raidea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Raidea
Member since 2006 • 4366 Posts
Increased disk capacity != Longer games.
0N1_L3G3ND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54 0N1_L3G3ND
Member since 2004 • 1046 Posts
If they could actually use that 120 hours thoughtfully and meaningfully as opposed to just making 80 hours of filler, I'd be down with that.
audioaxes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 audioaxes
Member since 2004 • 1570 Posts
this is stupid, for years there have really been no restrictions for developers to make their game as long as they wont
the thing is ppl dont just go out and make a game as long as possible for the heck of it since its a big waste of time and resources and doesnt even make the game better in most cases
Avatar image for deactivated-5d560a230ad3c
deactivated-5d560a230ad3c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#56 deactivated-5d560a230ad3c
Member since 2004 • 1546 Posts

I'd prefer longer games, but I also have a good understanding of the gaming market and gamers.  Hardcore gamers would love longers games, but the problem is they only make up a small percentage of the market (most of them being addicted to wow right now).  You're average gamer isn't going to want to spend that much time on a game.  Most average gamers will not spend much more than 20 hours on single player.  This is why more and more games are actually getting shorter (GeOW, FEAR, Kameno, Condemned, Lost Planet, ect).

Take the differences Bethesda made from Morrowind to Oblivion for example.  First off they changed quick travel which makes the game go much faster even though the "world" is larger.  Second the got rid of minimum levels for missions which lets you run through the game at your pace.  Third they focused on creating depth in the missions instead of just creating errands.  This ment Oblivion had less missions, but it's missions had deeper plots, and tightly strung together storylines.  As you can see Oblivion is much better for less serious gamers since you can finish the game at your own skill level and pace, unlike Morrowind where you pretty much need to dedicate 60+ hours just to do the main mission.
jrhawk42

Guys, guys, guys.  Listen.  What's so wrong about creating more value for hardcore gamers?  The biggest counterpoint I've been hearing is:

Developers wouldn't be interested in spending more time and resources to make longer games-

This argument assumes that by making longer, more involving games developers would end up spending more time and resources.  This is not the case.  I'm sure some of you are aware that development teams can sometimes include over 100 people.  Thi is, in part, due to the complex nature of today's games; we have lead programmers, programmers, testers, 3D artists, lead-3D artists, sound engineers, creative directors, which all work together on the complex phsysics, art, sound, and programming code for today's games. 

If a company decided, as I'm suggesting, to say "hey, to hell with all the fancy graphics, phsysics, and trying to get our hefty engine to work online.  Let's make a very good looking game in the vein of old 16-bit games, but beef it up with new age sound and special effects," it might be able to create games which provide more value to its end users.  I'd argue that this approach would take less time than the former...lower development costs and a greater customer value.  Win-win.

palaric8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 palaric8
Member since 2006 • 2246 Posts
The thought has occurred to me that, with all of the extra storage capacity and special effects capabilities of today's game media, a developer could create one HELL of an amazing game without all of the glitz of 3D environments, physics, and the like.

Consider how long a game could be with graphics equivalent to an old 2D RPG like Chrono Trigger. I think developers could even go a step further and add in some really neat special effects, smoother animations, and such...call it a compromise, of sorts, between new and old.

Keep in mind that graphically impressive games are VERY integral to a system's success...that said, I think there is certainly a niche for a game of this sort among its library.

NOTE: "120 Hours" is strictly an arbitrary number used to illustrate my larger point--that reallocating resources that would go into developing sophisticated 3D graphics, physics, and models could be reallocated to making games with more length and depth.

I'd SO be in line for a game that's "120 hours" long. Thoughts?
CubeJL
wans't FFXII 120 hours long? ,I read that on a magazine ,sorry if IM wrong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 deactivated-5d560a230ad3c

[QUOTE="CubeJL"]The thought has occurred to me that, with all of the extra storage capacity and special effects capabilities of today's game media, a developer could create one HELL of an amazing game without all of the glitz of 3D environments, physics, and the like.

Consider how long a game could be with graphics equivalent to an old 2D RPG like Chrono Trigger. I think developers could even go a step further and add in some really neat special effects, smoother animations, and such...call it a compromise, of sorts, between new and old.

Keep in mind that graphically impressive games are VERY integral to a system's success...that said, I think there is certainly a niche for a game of this sort among its library.

NOTE: "120 Hours" is strictly an arbitrary number used to illustrate my larger point--that reallocating resources that would go into developing sophisticated 3D graphics, physics, and models could be reallocated to making games with more length and depth.

palaric8

See area in my message that reads "NOTE:..."

S0DA_POPINSKI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 S0DA_POPINSKI
Member since 2006 • 1582 Posts

Oblivion has 120+ hours of gameplay.

Morrawind also does.

shadow_lord_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#60 shadow_lord_11
Member since 2004 • 20792 Posts
seriously, any game over 30 hours is a borefest.

i probably wouldnt be able to complete it due to my lack of interest and/or personal life.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 deactivated-5d560a230ad3c

seriously, any game over 30 hours is a borefest.

i probably wouldnt be able to complete it due to my lack of interest and/or personal life.
shadow_lord_11

I'm actually starting to find this funny...here we are, spending money on games, and what we're basically saying is, "no, don't give us any more content for our $50-$60 investment.  Less is more.  Make games shorter as opposed to longer."

You guys are giving me the giggles. 

alex1889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#62 alex1889
Member since 2006 • 1633 Posts
are we talking about oblivion?
Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#63 Bgrngod
Member since 2002 • 5766 Posts

[QUOTE="palaric8"][QUOTE="CubeJL"]The thought has occurred to me that, with all of the extra storage capacity and special effects capabilities of today's game media, a developer could create one HELL of an amazing game without all of the glitz of 3D environments, physics, and the like.

CubeJL

See area in my message that reads "NOTE:..."

It's pretty logical for any developer to realize that alocating resources from the graphics/technical aspects of a games development over to "lengthening" the game would be stupid. The number of hours it takes to complete a game is completely pointless to take into consideration once it caps out over 30-40 hours. ANY game that takes longer to complete most definitely would have to be an RPG. I can't even imagine how boring any other type of game would get beyond this time frame. 120 hour campaign for Halo? No thanks. 120 hours of Katamari Damacy? God no. 120 hours for Zelda? Well, possible if you can't figure out the puzzles. The original poster seems to think that more hours = more fun, which is just rediculous. The only way more hours can = more fun is if the game is still adding new things, and continuing to bring surprises, or else it just becomes a grind (which many RPG's end up suffering from towards the end). Why would a developer strive to make their game a grind? Any developer choosing this path would quickly conclude that their game needs to be split up into several chapters and sold in pieces. The .Hack series did this, as did the Xenosaga serious (Both RPG's). And BOTH series have been criticized for being "more of the same" in the 2nd and 3rd installments. Now imagine if these games had all been mashed into one "package". How much would they have been knocked for being excessively long? Whenever I read anything about a game's playtime being longer then 30 hours or so I consider this a negative aspect. I can't even imagine the logic behind thinking you are getting more value out of a game just because it has more hours of gameplay. Why not just play through the shorter games 3-4 times? That is pretty much what you are doing with these 100+ hours games anyways.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#64 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Play Daggerfall... it takes an average of 336 hours to cross the land mass.

And what kind of casual has time to play a 120 hour game anyways?
Avatar image for deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
deactivated-57af49c27f4e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#65 deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
Member since 2005 • 14149 Posts
it's easy to spend 120 hours in oblivion...
kukukuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 kukukuk
Member since 2005 • 2406 Posts
I wouldnt mind a 2D Sonic or Mario game with like, 500 levels. It would be pretty fun actually.
Avatar image for Riviera_Phantom
Riviera_Phantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#67 Riviera_Phantom
Member since 2006 • 3658 Posts
It's called Final Fantasy XII.
the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#68 the-very-best
Member since 2006 • 14486 Posts
Wild Arms 3 is about 300 hours long according to one of my friends. He said it was boring as hell though.

Imo, games should not go over the 60 hour unless it's an excellent RPG like FF or Elder Scrolls.
shadow_lord_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#69 shadow_lord_11
Member since 2004 • 20792 Posts

[QUOTE="shadow_lord_11"]seriously, any game over 30 hours is a borefest.

CubeJL

I'm actually starting to find this funny...here we are, spending money on games, and what we're basically saying is, "no, don't give us any more content for our $50-$60 investment. Less is more. Make games shorter as opposed to longer."

You guys are giving me the giggles.

accually, less IS more.

120 hours is ridiculous. maybe im the only one who doesnt play games all day. i havent played a game in 5 weeks. The last game i played was Final fantasy V advanced, which i got about 35 hours into then stopped because i had better things to do.

a 10-20 hours game, with some online is more than good enough for me.