Switch Quarterly Results - 139.36 million units life time! Switch the best selling console in Japan all time.

• 101 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45141 Posts

Makes you wonder if Switch can overtake the PS2 which sold a 158 million units. What do you think, SW?

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#2 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 12987 Posts

Switch is the gen 9 dominator! Wow!!! 140 million consoles sold so far. I never would have guessed.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2483 Posts

This is what the rest of the industry is chasing. Positive profit margins like these this late into a console cycle are only possible when you keep production costs manageable while selling a TON of first party software.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7239 Posts

You have to give it up to Nintendo they always find a way of bouncing back after a disappointing gen. GameCube to the wii Wii u to the switch.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44087 Posts

Silly sheep!! lol :P

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46331 Posts

Getting closer and closer to the PS2

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1865 Posts

Mario Kart 8 sold 60 million alone on the Switch! That's fucking insane!

I hope that the Switch eventually outsells the PS2. The Earth would heal if Nintendo finally dominates Sony and gets revenge on Sony.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SecretPolice

Does anyone honestly believe if you reversed roles and Xbox or PS were chased out of the console biz and launched the Switch instead that all these people and publications would willingly go along with the lie by calling it and comparing it to home console sales?

Fat chance. lol :P

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-switch-could-dethrone-the-ps2-as-the-best-selling-console-of-all-time-in-2025/1100-6520841/

Nintendo Switch Could Dethrone The PS2 As The Best-Selling Console Of All Time In 2025

The Nintendo Switch looks set to break records next year.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17822 Posts

Woohoo! great to see Pikmin 4 doing solid numbers. Not a huge seller but should still be a nice money earner which means Pikmin 5 in 15 years time \o/!!! .....Oh :(.

I don't know if the Switch has the momentum to get past the PS2. It's too frickin reliable :P. Maybe if they have another SKU that smaller and more pocket friendly at 149 maybe? I doubt they will do that though.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7206 Posts

Dang, and they did it without dvd or Blu-ray gimmick.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8244 Posts

Put gamepass on it

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1059 Posts

That's a lot, congrats to them

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5254 Posts

The Switch is now the best-selling system in Japan (33.34 million units) after overtaking the Game Boy Color.

The Super Mario RPG remake has surpassed the orignal game's lifetime sales (2.14 million) within six weeks since release. The remake sold 3.14 million units.

Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom selling at least 20 million units while there will be no DLC for it unlike Breath of the Wild. No one has ever expected a Zelda game to sell that many units, even than a mainline Mario platformer.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46331 Posts

@sargentd said:

Put gamepass on it

Put gamepass on it!

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16542 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: amazing! Actually I would love to see it over take the ps2, and it will happen if nintendo delays the launch of switch 2 until next year, AND give the switch a nice price cut.

The main reason ps2 sold so much was because of the dvd player built into it, at a time when dvds were a craze. I remember those days...the matrix just released, and dvd was just launching and bringing an unprecedented video quality of 480p hd to the masses, a massive jump from VHS. DVD players in the 90s were 1000s of dollars, but the price declined to around 300 - 800 just around 2000s. Then sony came around and put in a dvd player right into the ps2...and the rest was history.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SecretPolice

@R4gn4r0k said:
@sargentd said:

Put gamepass on it

Put gamepass on it!

lolol /:P

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LuxuryHeart

@SecretPolice said:

Does anyone honestly believe if you reversed roles and Xbox or PS were chased out of the console biz and launched the Switch instead that all these people and publications would willingly go along with the lie by calling it and comparing it to home console sales?

Fat chance. lol :P

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-switch-could-dethrone-the-ps2-as-the-best-selling-console-of-all-time-in-2025/1100-6520841/

Nintendo Switch Could Dethrone The PS2 As The Best-Selling Console Of All Time In 2025

The Nintendo Switch looks set to break records next year.

The Switch is a hybrid between home console and handheld console, so they're right to refer to it as a home console. It's an all in one.

Also, don't imply that publications favor Nintendo. Nintendo is probably the LEAST favored by publications. Look at how they hype up every '(insert Nintendo game/console) killer'. They constantly roast Nintendo, and they wrote millions of articles about how Nintendo should go third party. They just have to begrudgingly deal with Nintendo being here, because Nintendo isn't going anywhere.

@mesome713 said:

That part.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#18 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69548 Posts

@luxuryheart said:

The Switch is a hybrid between home console and handheld console, so they're right to refer to it as a home console. It's an all in one.

Also, don't imply that publications favor Nintendo. Nintendo is probably the LEAST favored by publications. Look at how they hype up every '(insert Nintendo game/console) killer'. They constantly roast Nintendo, and they wrote millions of articles about how Nintendo should go third party. They just have to begrudgingly deal with Nintendo being here, because Nintendo isn't going anywhere.

The bold is simply false.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SecretPolice

@luxuryheart:

It's as much a console as a smartphone then. ;o

So in that case Switch only need sell a few billion more to catch up. lol :P

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By LuxuryHeart

@Pedro said:
@luxuryheart said:

Nintendo doesn't get as much of a positive slant as Sony or Microsoft. Be serious here.

@SecretPolice said:

@luxuryheart:

It's as much a console as a smartphone then. ;o

So in that case Switch only need sell a few billion more to catch up. lol :P

Smart phones are not the same at all. The Switch is a dedicated gaming machine. Sure, people do have games on their phone, but they don't buy their phone solely to game. Their phone is primarily used for call/text and social media. Like, my dad literally just has his phone to call/text his family and to watch YouTube videos or movies to pass the time. He doesn't game at all on his phone, and there are tons of people who don't game on their phones. I haven't met a person who bought a Switch and decided not to play games on it.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SecretPolice

@luxuryheart:

Twist yourself into a pretzel with that logic eh?

Lol but whatevs, I'm done. :P

above_average

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 above_average
Member since 2021 • 1566 Posts

Imagine that, and all off the back of exclusive content. Something xbox fans claimed for the longest time consumers didn't care about.

The moral of the story is, never listen to xbox fans telling you what gamers want.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SargentD

@above_average said:

Imagine that, and all off the back of exclusive content. Something xbox fans claimed for the longest time consumers didn't care about.

The moral of the story is, never listen to xbox fans telling you what gamers want.

What's crazy to think about is Ninty would probably have over x3 the software sales if they were willing to break away from thier handheld. Even with thier massive install base at the end of the Switch' cycle.. they definently left more than double the amount of money on the table

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

Great numbers!

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6849 Posts

@mesome713 said:

Yup. They have a different gimmick, instead.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Mesome713

@shellcase86: Yeah, GamePlay.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2483 Posts

@mesome713 said:

@shellcase86: Yeah, GamePlay.

lol!

But unfortunately it’s true. Today’s gamers want cutscenes, flashy QTE sequences and blood and gore. Nintendo offers pure gameplay which is why the gamers from my generation, the 80’s kids still relate to their library so much. And it’s why we have our kids grow up on these titles. Sure they’re more age appropriate. But they also teach platforming, problem solving and critical thinking. Xbox and PlayStation got the kids out there watching movies and pressing X to make the buff guy do cool stuff.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44219 Posts

Cool system, great games, and very impressive numbers. Really looking forward to the Switch 2.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#29 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5254 Posts

@sargentd: Nintendo knows what it is doing regardless of the archchair CEOs (gamers who never owned or manage a business, but have a superficial understanding of how a business works) tells what it should do.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SargentD

@onesiphorus said:

@sargentd: Nintendo knows what it is doing regardless of the archchair CEOs (gamers who never owned or manage a business, but have a superficial understanding of how a business works) tells what it should do.

Nintendo did well with switch and I own one.

But let's not pretend Nintendo always makes great decisions that are successful. Especially when this current console is off the heels of the Wii U..

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45141 Posts

Wowza

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Pedro

@luxuryheart said:
@Pedro said:

Nintendo doesn't get as much of a positive slant as Sony or Microsoft. Be serious here.

And that is still false. I am not sure who you are trying to fool.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LuxuryHeart

@Pedro said:
@luxuryheart said:
@Pedro said:

And that is still false. I am not sure who you are trying to fool.

It is true.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2936 Posts

Crazy sales, especially for such outdated hardware. And all of this has taken place while cows and lemmings have been arguing whether PS5 or Xsex is the most powerful console. Nintendo must be laughing

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#35  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34625 Posts

Great sales for this CONSOLE. Probably way better sales than your favorite console.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6087 Posts
@luxuryheart said:

This is the best joke i've heard this week.

It goes like this, most positive slant Nintendo & Sony are equal>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MS

It's not even close.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Last_Lap

140 million people have no standards buying an underpowered, overpriced device that has games with overused characters for kids.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LuxuryHeart

@last_lap: I don't know. I find that MS usually gets a more overall positive slant than Nintendo. Though I do agree that Sony gets more positive press than MS. Like, with MS, the press does drag them. The press also drags Sony. The difference is, they drag MS and Sony when those two really tick them off. Like with Sony, the press was obviously irritated at Sony for their stance on cross play, so they wrote negative articles about them. They were obviously ticked off at MS for their stance on used games.

Though with Nintendo, they just drag them for the most minor mistakes. There's this energy of them waiting for Nintendo to go third party. I've read the articles before the Switch was a success, and I've read them during the Wii era. They're a bit better during this Switch era, but the energy seems like they're begrudgingly accepting that Nintendo is here to stay.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7172 Posts

@mesome713 said:

so using a format is a gimmick? so every cartridge is a gimmick to from nes and snes days.

format for there games is not a gimmick.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20105 Posts

Good stuff Nintendo.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Pedro

@luxuryheart said:

It is true.

Come on. Nintendo is viewed very favorably to media outlets. I don't get why you are trying to argue otherwise.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Last_Lap

@luxuryheart said:

@last_lap: I don't know. I find that MS usually gets a more overall positive slant than Nintendo. Though I do agree that Sony gets more positive press than MS. Like, with MS, the press does drag them. The press also drags Sony. The difference is, they drag MS and Sony when those two really tick them off. Like with Sony, the press was obviously irritated at Sony for their stance on cross play, so they wrote negative articles about them. They were obviously ticked off at MS for their stance on used games.

Though with Nintendo, they just drag them for the most minor mistakes. There's this energy of them waiting for Nintendo to go third party. I've read the articles before the Switch was a success, and I've read them during the Wii era. They're a bit better during this Switch era, but the energy seems like they're begrudgingly accepting that Nintendo is here to stay.

When it comes to the gaming "media" both Nintendo and Sony are the darlings of the industry while MS is the devil.

The reason for the Nintendo 3rd party talk was because the Wii U was a colossal failure, and Nintendo bled money with that console.

But Nintendo's games get the highest scores in the industry, Nintendo doesn't get dragged over the coals for the price of the underpowered Switch.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#43 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12304 Posts

It probably won't match the PS2 if the Switch 2 is released in the next 18 months. :(

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Mesome713

@Nonstop-Madness: Nintendo could do what Sony did and sell the console to terrorists to launch middles cheaply at innocent people.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38927 Posts

140M systems sold, a system that has trouble running anything outside of 2D in over 17fps.

@mesome713 said:

@Nonstop-Madness: Nintendo could do what Sony did and sell the console to terrorists to launch middles cheaply at innocent people.

Wouldn't work, a dollar store calculator has more processing power than your Switch. But hey, at least the terrorists could use it as a doorstep, so they have that going for them.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10617 Posts

@mesome713 said:

No, instead they went with the “handheld“ gimmick.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10617 Posts
@mesome713 said:

You somehow forgot that the last Nintendo straight up “console” sold like utter crap. Even the x1 outsold it by more than double the units. Stop acting like Nintendo achieved this milestone with exclusives only. They virtually merged their most successful market (handheld) with their crumbling console market to achieve this milestone.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6894 Posts

Buh buh exclusives don't matter... 🤣

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Mesome713

@ermacness: You seem to forget Wii U failed due to not launching with exclusives and trying to rely on third party to sell it. It wasn’t until year 2 and 3 they realized their mistake. Plus the naming was bad as most thought it was an add on to the Wii.

Ospi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Ospi
Member since 2006 • 546 Posts

Nintendo really live by the mantra "work smarter, not harder" and the proof is in the pudding. They really did re-evaluate the learn from the mistakes of the WiiU