Super Mario Wonder - 9/10, 93 MC! UPDATE: 4.3 million in 2 weeks, fastest selling Super Mario!

• 198 results
Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#151  Edited By Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2463 Posts

Not really excited to play another 2D Mario game with 3D graphics and triple jump. Call me when Odyssey gets its successor.

The_Deepblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

User Lists: 1

#152 The_Deepblue
Member since 2007 • 1484 Posts

I’ve already completed a 100% run of the game. I’m now playing through it with my wife, and I’ve started another solo run. Game is a masterpiece. I’d like to see a couple of direct sequels to it.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#153 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18042 Posts

I might be interested to try a level, but not to buy this game.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23944 Posts

This is the fastest selling Mario Game in europe.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/mario-bros-wonder-is-the-fastest-selling-mario-game-ever-in-europe/

Nintendo gets it. Let devs have a healthy work life balance and get rewarded with a good game which translates to good sales.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#155  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34693 Posts

Just got the game and gonna try it out now.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8313 Posts

Solid 2d platformer. Great art style. Fun tight gameplay

And the best part.. I picked up a copy of the game, put it in the console, it booted up immediately ready to play, 0 updates.

As did Kirby Forgotten Land

Give this game GOTY for that fact alone

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#157  Edited By speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14419 Posts

Fantastic game, no question.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By Litchie

Ended up playing 4 hours straight last night. Did not want to stop.

And now I'm at work and tired as ****, lol.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45300 Posts

What does everyone think about the new Mario voice actor? I don’t think he’s as good as Charles, but I guess it’s serviceable lol

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By Litchie
@SolidGame_basic said:

What does everyone think about the new Mario voice actor? I don’t think he’s as good as Charles, but I guess it’s serviceable lol

Had to listen carefully to hear a difference. It's ok, in other words. Glad they tried to sound the same instead of something else.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#161  Edited By Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44340 Posts

Would probably have never noticed that it was a different voice actor for Mario if I was never told. He does a good job.

Am into World 4 now and the game is just so damn good. So many cool/creative things in the various level and gameplay design. How does Nintendo just keep doing this? It’s honestly incredibly impressive.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22801 Posts
@Archangel3371 said:

Would probably have never noticed that it was a different voice actor for Mario if I was never told. He does a good job.

Am into World 4 now and the game is just so damn good. So many cool/creative things in the various level and gameplay design. How does Nintendo just keep doing this? It’s honestly incredibly impressive.

Does it take 2d platformers to a new level or is it a really great summaration of the genre?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#163 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39304 Posts

Anyone else thinks that they should add a bit of mtx in this game? I honestly wouldn't mind seeing some mtx skins sold for $19.99. Would add great value to an already great game.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 Archangel3371  Online

@TheEroica: I don’t feel like I’m qualified enough to answer such a question. 😅

It just seems to me that there’s a lot of cool/clever/creative twists to the 2D Mario formula in there and I’m enjoying the game a lot.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 SargentD

@TheEroica said:
@Archangel3371 said:

Does it take 2d platformers to a new level or is it a really great summaration of the genre?

I'd say its a great summarization of 2d Mario as a whole, a celebration of 2d mario if you will, but with some added elements that spice up the formula. It's not taking 2d platformer genre to a whole new level. But I would go as far to say it takes 2d mario to the next level in the franchise, if that makes sense.

Honestly it's a gem of a game. It's quality. Super clean and polished. Art style and music imo is top notch. If you enjoy mario you will love this game. If you never liked 2d mario, this game not gonna change your mind.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8438 Posts

@TheEroica said:
@Archangel3371 said:

I don't know about taking 2D platformers to the next level, but it's a real flex for the genre as a whole, and a sort of loveletter to Mario.

I have considered in the past: "is this is the most 'Mario' Mario game to date?" Mario Wonder might be in the running for the most Mario game ever.

jeffbuckley1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By jeffbuckley1
Member since 2004 • 270 Posts

Never understood why these games always get good reviews. Same game all the time and not very exciting.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#168 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61513 Posts

Game is great. Finished my 4th world I think today... Just got the Fungi world left.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6344 Posts

@jeffbuckley1: Because it has the words Mario & Nintendo on the box.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#170 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39304 Posts

@last_lap said:

@jeffbuckley1: Because it has the words Mario & Nintendo on the box.

This is my answer, and you have to stop stealing it from me.

The_Deepblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

User Lists: 1

#171 The_Deepblue
Member since 2007 • 1484 Posts

This is the best “2D” entry in the series. I can’t think of anything that the others do better, and it has as many neat ideas as any 3D entry. I’m nearing my second 100% playthrough. Likely will be my GOTY.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 Litchie

Am I the only one dissapointed that you become an elephant instead of getting an elephant suit?

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 Litchie

@warm_gun said:

Not really excited to play another 2D Mario game with 3D graphics and triple jump. Call me when Odyssey gets its successor.

This game doesn't have triple jump.

And I really hope we don't get a sequel to Odyssey.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2463 Posts

@Litchie: I don't want an Odyssey 2 either. Not what I meant. I mean another mainline 3D game, Mario 64, Sunshine, Galaxy, Odyssey...

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 Litchie

@warm_gun: Ah yeah, my bad. More 3D Marios is always welcome. One filled with lots of unnecessary fluff like Odyssey isn't as welcome.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 SolidGame_basic

lol, this game is great

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 Litchie

@SolidGame_basic: Some of the things you turn into made me literally lol. GF was watching and loled as well. :P

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By SolidGame_basic

Wowza, congrats to this amazing game!

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 GhostOfGolden  Online
Member since 2023 • 2574 Posts

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 Archangel3371  Online

Kudos to Nintendo. They definitely delivered the goods with Super Mario Bros. Wonder. Such a fantastic game.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#182 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5272 Posts

People would like to wonder why Nintendo's first-party games are doing very well this generation, even for titles like Animal Crossing or the Legend of Zelda which are not known for being big sellers.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By Litchie
@onesiphorus said:

People would like to wonder why Nintendo's first-party games are doing very well this generation, even for titles like Animal Crossing or the Legend of Zelda which are not known for being big sellers.

wut?

AC and Zelda are two of their most sold IPs. Of course they'll sell a shitload on their most popular console ever.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By Maroxad
@Litchie said:
@onesiphorus said:

wut?

AC and Zelda are two of their most sold IPs. Of course they'll sell a shitload on their most popular console ever.

Animal Crossing used to be a B list IP. Profitable, but not on the same league as Mario or Pokemon.

Zelda used to be struggling. In fact, Twilight Princess arguably saved the IP. But that could have been a fluke considering SS continued to underperform.

Zelda and Fire Emblem have both gone from being dogs to stars (Fire Emblem mostly because of Heroes).

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By Litchie
@Maroxad said:

Animal Crossing used to be a B list IP. Profitable, but not on the same league as Mario or Pokemon.

Thought it sold a ton on both DS and 3DS prior to Switch, but I don't know any numbers.

@Maroxad said:

Zelda used to be struggling. In fact, Twilight Princess arguably saved the IP.

I dunno dude. I mean, WW didn't sell a lot since it was a GC game, coupled with a lot of fans not liking the artstyle. TP sold more since it was hyped as the shit and was a launch game for a much more popular console. SS sold poorly, mostly because it was very late to the console, needed extra hardware and was bad.

Don't think Zelda has been "struggling" to the point it needed saving, all it needed was a good game on a popular console, which it would inevitably get.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By Maroxad
@Litchie said:
@Maroxad said:

Thought it sold a ton on both DS and 3DS prior to Switch, but I don't know any numbers.

@Maroxad said:

Zelda used to be struggling. In fact, Twilight Princess arguably saved the IP.

I dunno dude. I mean, WW didn't sell a lot since it was a GC game, coupled with a lot of fans not liking the artstyle. TP sold more since it was hyped as the shit and was a launch game for a much more popular console. SS sold poorly, mostly because it was very late to the console, needed extra hardware and was bad.

Don't think Zelda has been "struggling" to the point it needed saving, all it needed was a good game on a popular console, which it would inevitably get.

As for Animal Crossing, it did well enough, but it was still vastly outclassed by Mario and Pokemon. Compare that to this gen where Animal Crossing has eclipsed any Mario that isnt Mario Kart. Going from 3 millionish copies for console games and 12 millionish for the handheld games to 43 million copies sold on the switch.

Wind Waker did ok, not great. Then 4 Swords Adventures sold less than a million copies. At that point the future of the series was uncertain, but they allowed aonuma to go with his adult link vision, since the current formula wasnt working. And so we got Twilight Princess, which was a smash hit. Then we got some ds games and SS with middling sales.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 Litchie

@Maroxad: lol, yeah. Damn. That is quite the difference regarding AC. It just exploded on Switch. That game being good + Switch being insanely popular + the time it was released = that, I guess.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 Maroxad

@Litchie said:

@Maroxad: lol, yeah. Damn. That is quite the difference regarding AC. It just exploded on Switch. That game being good + Switch being insanely popular + the time it was released = that, I guess.

Yeah, the timing was perfect for that kind of game. Are you familiar with the business concept of Just in Time? Animal Crossing New Horizon was the second moment I can think something like that happened.

The previous incident? World of WarCraft.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#189 Jag85  Online
Member since 2005 • 19616 Posts

As impressive as this is... Zelda TOTK sold 10 million in 3 days. Crazy to think that a Zelda game sold out faster than any Super Mario game before or after it. But this is a 2D Mario, so 4.3M in 2 weeks is huge for a 2D plaformer. When we finally get a new 3D Super Mario game, it should hit Zelda TOTK numbers.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 Jag85  Online
@Maroxad said:
@Litchie said:
@onesiphorus said:

wut?

Zelda used to be struggling. In fact, Twilight Princess arguably saved the IP. But that could have been a fluke considering SS continued to underperform.

Zelda and Fire Emblem have both gone from being dogs to stars (Fire Emblem mostly because of Heroes).

Nearly every Nintendo first-party IP has gotten a massive sales boost from the Switch. Nearly all the first-party Nintendo IPs have hit record sales numbers on the Switch.

There are a number of reasons. But I think a big reason is the Smash Bros effect. Many people who previously weren't familiar with Nintendo's B-tier and C-tier IPs started recognising them via Smash Bros. Take Fire Emblem, for example. Most people didn't know a thing about Fire Emblem before Marth and Roy became fan favourites in Smash Bros, which eventually translated into big sales for Fire Emblem games.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#191 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5272 Posts

@Jag85: Fire Emblem games prior to Awakening were well-received, but did not have impresive sales even when they were released outside of Japan. Had Awakening did not become a commerical success, the series would had ended.

I am not surprised that the sales of Engage are much lower than the best-selling Three Houses, as Engage is considered a step back in the series in terms of story and characters. Usually, games in a series are expected to do better critically and commerically over time but Engage is an exception among Nintendo's first party games this generation.

Let us hope that the next Fire Emblem game is like Three Houses and not Engage.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 Jag85  Online

@onesiphorus: As the Smash Bros franchise grew in popularity, so did Fire Emblem along with it. After Smash Bros Brawl hit a new franchise record, so did Fire Emblem Awakening a few years later. Even if it hadn't, the series would've still continued in Japan regardless.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 Maroxad

@Jag85 said:
@Maroxad said:
@Litchie said:
@onesiphorus said:

wut?

Nearly every Nintendo first-party IP has gotten a massive sales boost from the Switch. Nearly all the first-party Nintendo IPs have hit record sales numbers on the Switch.

There are a number of reasons. But I think a big reason is the Smash Bros effect. Many people who previously weren't familiar with Nintendo's B-tier and C-tier IPs started recognising them via Smash Bros. Take Fire Emblem, for example. Most people didn't know a thing about Fire Emblem before Marth and Roy became fan favourites in Smash Bros, which eventually translated into big sales for Fire Emblem games.

Correct. The Switch is in many ways, Peak Nintendo. Releasing both highly polished games with a lot of room for experimentation and innovation.

My worry however is that this will not continue once Nintendo releases the Switch 2, and games become more expensive to produce.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 Jag85  Online
@Maroxad said:
@Jag85 said:
@Maroxad said:

Correct. The Switch is in many ways, Peak Nintendo. Releasing both highly polished games with a lot of room for experimentation and innovation.

My worry however is that this will not continue once Nintendo releases the Switch 2, and games become more expensive to produce.

That's a good point. A big reason Nintendo is able to have a consistent supply of quality first-party software is due to their games having mid-size AA budgets rather than full AAA budgets. Only the Zelda games have full AAA budgets, but otherwise their other first-party games have mid-size AA budgets. If the Switch 2 is more powerful, that would increase the budget requirements, so their first-party output might end up being more limited like Sony or MS as a result.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 SolidGame_basic

Love this game!

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 SolidGame_basic

Just beat the game! What a great game, really enjoyed it. Still have some levels I missed so I will definitely go back. Finally a Mario that feels fresh!

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 SargentD

@SolidGame_basic said:

Just beat the game! What a great game, really enjoyed it. Still have some levels I missed so I will definitely go back. Finally a Mario that feels fresh!

Mario Wonder the real GOTY

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By SolidGame_basic

@sargentd said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Definitely a GOTY contender.

If I had to give it some feedback, I would say I wish there were more variety with the power ups. I thought the bubble power wasn‘t that great. And last, the voice actor for Mario was good, but he’s no Charles Martinet! Also, I cringe a little when he says “zowie” lol.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 hrt_rulz01  Online
Member since 2006 • 22390 Posts

@sargentd said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Just rolled credits, it's a brilliant 2D Mario game. So much creativity. Definitely GOTY contender (probably won't win though, it'll go to some movie game I'm sure).

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8438 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:
@sargentd said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Just rolled credits, it's a brilliant 2D Mario game. So much creativity. Definitely GOTY contender (probably won't win though, it'll go to some movie game I'm sure).

Don't think a movie game has a chance this year, Playstation has been dry.

It'll be between Tears of the Kingdom and Baldur's Gate 3.