Super Mario 3D World is damn good

• 50 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mrintro
Member since 2004 • 1354 Posts

After finishing the entire game including bonus levels, I'm pretty much ready to conclude that this is the game of the holidays. It's a ton of fun to play single player and multiplayer. And there's a ton of replayability. And just when I thought I completed the game, I found out I have to complete each level with each character to get 100%. You might think that is a hassle, but I liked the game so much I'm ready to replay it again with each character. And also, the very last stage "Champion's Road" is damn challenging! In fact, the whole game can be challenging if you want to ace everything. I think died like a 1000 times. Anyway, I think this is where I say TCHBO/TLHBO or something like that. Anyone else enjoy this great game?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52427 Posts

It's good proof that I'm a bit tired of Mario.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

It's awesome, but have you played Zelda: A Link Between Worlds? I can't decide which is the better game for the holidays, mostly because they're completely different experiences and they both offer lots of fun.

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mrintro

@trugs26: I really enjoyed link between worlds, it was perfectly made for the 3ds and is exactly how I want developers to make 3da games. I think both of those games complement each other well! The only thing I would say is link between worlds is kind of easy lol

RVCA823

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5  Edited By RVCA823
Member since 2006 • 2839 Posts

Super Mario 3D World is not only one of the top games this year, it's also one of the best installments in the series. I was beginning to grow tired of the Mario series, but this game was, surprisingly, a breath of fresh air.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

How do you unlock Champions Road?? :o the last level I got to was a boss battles' run-through.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By trugs26

@mrintro said:

@trugs26: I really enjoyed link between worlds, it was perfectly made for the 3ds and is exactly how I want developers to make 3da games. I think both of those games complement each other well! The only thing I would say is link between worlds is kind of easy lol

Yeah, but I find that some of my favorite games are on the easy side. From recent memory, I played Half-Life, which was really easy, but really enjoyable. So I don't really care about difficulty as long as the game play is fun (which might depend on difficultly, but not necessarily so). Same with Mario games, I don't particularly find them difficult because I've been playing Mario games all my life, so they have become second nature to me, but I still find that the game design is so good that it's just really enjoyable. Regardless, I found ALBW to be on the easy side, but not too easy to make me dislike the game in any way.

Mind you, I have only begun Hero Mode on ALBW, and I have only just reached the post-game levels in Mario. So I'm going into the back end of both of these excellent games :)

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Indeed, it is awesome. Cat Mario actually adds a bunch of fun to the game.

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mrintro

@bbkkristian said:

How do you unlock Champions Road?? :o the last level I got to was a boss battles' run-through.

Need all stars, gold flags, and stamps up until that point (just one character). but if you want to get the last 4 stamps you need to get all gold flags with each character

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mrintro

@trugs26 said:

@mrintro said:

Yeah, but I find that some of my favorite games are on the easy side. From recent memory, I played Half-Life, which was really easy, but really enjoyable. So I don't really care about difficulty as long as the game play is fun (which might depend on difficultly, but not necessarily so). Same with Mario games, I don't particularly find them difficult because I've been playing Mario games all my life, so they have become second nature to me, but I still find that the game design is so good that it's just really enjoyable. Regardless, I found ALBW to be on the easy side, but not too easy to make me dislike the game in any way.

Mind you, I have only begun Hero Mode on ALBW, and I have only just reached the post-game levels in Mario. So I'm going into the back end of both of these excellent games :)

true, I didn't do hero mode because I was under the impression that the only thing that is different is just the difficulty. also, I just got a sweet deal on Windwaker HD this morning (for $30) so I think I'm just going to move on to that lol

Renegade311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Renegade311
Member since 2013 • 350 Posts

It took me 265 tries to finish Champion Road. You either need to use Peach, have a tanooki suit, or be a Super Mario 3D World God to beat it.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 trugs26

@mrintro said:

@trugs26 said:

@mrintro said:

true, I didn't do hero mode because I was under the impression that the only thing that is different is just the difficulty. also, I just got a sweet deal on Windwaker HD this morning (for $30) so I think I'm just going to move on to that lol

Nice! I'm hoping I get that for Christmas :P

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

This game gets me off track. Every time I say I'm going to play a couple of levels and quit, I look at the clock and hours have past. :(

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#15  Edited By GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

Through my limited experience of the game (playing a bunch of early levels) I will say that the game is fun but definitely in the NSMB way and not the Galaxy way. It's a very casual game that doesn't have a lot of excellent game design.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

@GunSmith1_basic said:

Through my limited experience of the game (playing a bunch of early levels) I will say that the game is fun but definitely in the NSMB way and not the Galaxy way. It's a very casual game that doesn't have a lot of excellent game design.

Wait until you get to about world 6. The game starts to get harder.

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

@freedomfreak:

Agreed.

My problems are that while its good, its hard too ignore that it isn't as good as the galaxy games, and that this is the eight main series mario platformer that l've played since 06. Enough is enough Nintendo..

l do really like it, but it really feels like a combination of all the ideas mario has brought to the table since about 06 rather than a unique, original game, say like Sunshine was. l really wish Nintendo would do that again, lm growing bored because Mario games seem to becoming increasingly bland... Yes this game did some things to try and stylize it compared to the NSMB series.. but it wasn't enough.. lt still just feels all too similar..

l really hope they take a break from Mario for a few years..

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

@VendettaRed07 said:

@freedomfreak:

Agreed.

My problems are that while its good, its hard too ignore that it isn't as good as the galaxy games, and that this is the eight main series mario platformer that l've played since 06. Enough is enough Nintendo..

l do really like it, but it really feels like a combination of all the ideas mario has brought to the table since about 06 rather than a unique, original game, say like Sunshine was. l really wish Nintendo would do that again, lm growing bored because Mario games seem to becoming increasingly bland... Yes this game did some things to try and stylize it compared to the NSMB series.. but it wasn't enough.. lt still just feels all too similar..

This, people are getting bored with the mario games.

Most sheep don't understand this though.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 trugs26

@Suppaman100 said:

@VendettaRed07 said:

@freedomfreak:

Agreed.

This, people are getting bored with the mario games.

Most sheep don't understand this though.

Another way of wording that is 'most sheep still enjoy the games though.'

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

I think it's the best in the series, and easily the best game I've played in 2013.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#21 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@mrintro: I really dug 3D World. It was such a wonderful game. I actually enjoy it a lot more than the first Galaxy game. It's just full of tight level design and controls. Plus the multiplayer can be such a blast with friends.

For Link Between Worlds, you should try playing on Hero Mode! It's a much harder difficulty level that unlocks upon completion (as an example, one hit from the final boss in the Green Tunic does 40 Hearts of damage in Hero Mode), and adds some challenge to what is otherwise an easy game, at least as far as combat is concerned.

I was also wondering, I know it's a bit off topic, but what do you think of Ys?

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By sHaDyCuBe321
Member since 2003 • 5769 Posts

@mrintro said:

@bbkkristian said:

Need all stars, gold flags, and stamps up until that point (just one character). but if you want to get the last 4 stamps you need to get all gold flags with each character

False. To get the last 4 stamps you don't need to gold all the goalposts with all characters. You just need to clear each stage, it doesn't matter where you end up on the goal post.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46283 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

It's good proof that I'm a bit tired of Mario.

Play New Super Luigi U ;)

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 sHaDyCuBe321
Member since 2003 • 5769 Posts

@VendettaRed07 said:

@freedomfreak:

Agreed.

Since 2006, Mario Main Series Games:

Super Mario Galaxy

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Super Mario 3D World

The main series doesn't consist of the "new" games. That's an entirely different series of games. I MIGHT concede that 3D Land is a main series game, but it's not even on consoles.

And to say that this game isn't original is pretty ludicrous. What do you consider original? As a doubter of the cat suit from the beginning, I ate my words. It has added a level of verticality that no other mario game has had. It feels familiar because it comes from a pedigree of amazing game design. Why tinker so much with greatness when you can find a balance of what has worked in the past and original ideas?

People always complain about originality with Nintendo and whether they rehash titles, but if you look at the evolution of Mario's main series from 1-3 to World 1&2 to 64 and Sunshine to the Galaxy series and now to 3D Land and World, they are always vastly different, to say otherwise would really make it difficult for me to take your opinion seriously.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

@VendettaRed07: how cynical do you have to be to even call this game bland? I mean it's just leaking charm everywhere

musalala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By musalala
Member since 2008 • 3131 Posts

4 player is chaos personified , those levels where the panels flip when you jump >>sigh<<........Lets just say we were in that stage for about 2 hours

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mrintro

@charizard1605 said:

@mrintro: I really dug 3D World. It was such a wonderful game. I actually enjoy it a lot more than the first Galaxy game. It's just full of tight level design and controls. Plus the multiplayer can be such a blast with friends.

For Link Between Worlds, you should try playing on Hero Mode! It's a much harder difficulty level that unlocks upon completion (as an example, one hit from the final boss in the Green Tunic does 40 Hearts of damage in Hero Mode), and adds some challenge to what is otherwise an easy game, at least as far as combat is concerned.

I was also wondering, I know it's a bit off topic, but what do you think of Ys?

I like Ys! It's fast paced and the fighting is just fun. I like how you can come up with creative ways to fight, like mixing it up with different party members and such. I tend to like those kind of games, like I liked DmC this year (if you haven't played that, get the PC version it's so cheap and it's the superior version!). I'm about 7 hours in, at that Burrow place. I haven't really paid that much attention to the story though lol.I was also kicking myself the other day because go hastings had a coupon for 50% off used games and Ys was available at $36! (meaning $18) lol.

I thought about the Hero Mode. The thing is I was under the impression that the damage was the only thing that was different. If it was like the Ninja Gaiden games where you get new enemies that would've been cool. Or some other incentive. Maybe that's too much to ask for an already awesome game lol.

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mrintro

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

@mrintro said:

@bbkkristian said:

False. To get the last 4 stamps you don't need to gold all the goalposts with all characters. You just need to clear each stage, it doesn't matter where you end up on the goal post.

oh, sorry for the missinfo.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#29  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

Too bad Wii U isnt ... Im giving it 2-3 years max till go into life support like Wii did or even die. I wont give 370 euros ( around 480 $$ ) for Wii U and Super mario .. Not 1 in a million. For this hardware i would give max 150 + game = 210$$ max which 210$$ are like 170Euros because i know beforehand that Nintendo will let me down and stop supporting the system exactly like Wii.. And no i dont want a second dust collector in my house

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

Game of Thrones is Damn Good.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@AzatiS said:

Too bad Wii U isnt ... Im giving it 2-3 years max till go into life support like Wii did or even die. I wont give 370 euros ( around 480 $$ ) for Wii U and Super mario .. Not 1 in a million. For this hardware i would give max 150 + game = 210$$ max which 210$$ are like 170Euros because i know beforehand that Nintendo will let me down and stop supporting the system exactly like Wii.. And no i dont want a second dust collector in my house

What do the other consoles cost where you are? Also, is sales tax built into those prices?

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Zen_Light
Member since 2010 • 2143 Posts

Agreed. Fantastic game all around.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Just grabbed the game for 38$ with free ship,can't wait to play it!

dbtbandit67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By dbtbandit67
Member since 2012 • 415 Posts

@mrintro: It's unfortunate that the Wii U's failures have lead to this game not getting as much credit as it deserves.

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mrintro

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@AzatiS said:

What do the other consoles cost where you are? Also, is sales tax built into those prices?

That is a lot of money. But I do take issue with you basically dissing a system you probably haven't even played.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#37  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Just beat it the other day. Brilliant platformer.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#38 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

It's just a shame it's on the Wii U.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By AzatiS

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@AzatiS said:

Wii U is at 299 euros

PS4 399 euros

X1 499 euros

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#40  Edited By blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

it was getting boring with the WiiU. good thing this great game came out

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#41  Edited By millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

It's okay. It's a step or two behind the Galaxy games. It is more geared towards someone like, Super600.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By AzatiS

@mrintro said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@AzatiS said:

That is a lot of money. But I do take issue with you basically dissing a system you probably haven't even played.

Its not dissing a system because system itself. Its dissing Nintendos logic . Provide a low end hardware , put some exclusives , sale , drop it , move on ...

I hate that logic and seems Nintendo is a champion to that when it comes to consoles. Who can deny that the last 2 years of Wiis life anyone barely played with it. If it wasnt for Zelda:SS ... Then didnt it die prematurely considering the massive amount of 100M user base ? After its official death what was the support of Nintendo to that Wii fanbase? ZERO !!

The same thing will happen with Wii U , fail or not , Nintendo will stop supporting it after some time and let it die despite it sales.

Look Sony .. 6 billion losses the last 6 years , a problematic product ( PS3 ) , countless problems , ended last place , PS4 is out and ... after 8 years massive exclusives still releasing .. Thats what i call value and thats why if ill buy a console this gen ( because last gen i didnt ) there wont be other than a Sony product - PS4.

So if Nintendo wants me to spend around 370 euros to play Super mario 3D ( 480$ ) they need to assure me that theyll support my product ( WII U ) as much or even more than Sonys software wise , especially considering they overpricing a peice of low end hardware. That wont happen therefore the only way to convince me to buy it is to dramatically lower the price to an amount that reflects hardwares real value.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#43 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

@millerlight89: 99 percent of games are a step or two behind the Galaxy series.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#44 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

@hiphops_savior said:

@millerlight89: 99 percent of games are a step or two behind the Galaxy series.

You can't really say most games, as you can't compare Mario to anything other than platformers. It's stupid to compare it to something like MGS, or TLOU. You would hope that the next Mario game would be even better, but I was wrong.

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45  Edited By VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

@VendettaRed07 said:

@freedomfreak:

Agreed.

Since 2006, Mario Main Series Games:

Super Mario Galaxy

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Super Mario 3D World

The main series doesn't consist of the "new" games. That's an entirely different series of games. I MIGHT concede that 3D Land is a main series game, but it's not even on consoles.

And to say that this game isn't original is pretty ludicrous. What do you consider original? As a doubter of the cat suit from the beginning, I ate my words. It has added a level of verticality that no other mario game has had. It feels familiar because it comes from a pedigree of amazing game design. Why tinker so much with greatness when you can find a balance of what has worked in the past and original ideas?

People always complain about originality with Nintendo and whether they rehash titles, but if you look at the evolution of Mario's main series from 1-3 to World 1&2 to 64 and Sunshine to the Galaxy series and now to 3D Land and World, they are always vastly different, to say otherwise would really make it difficult for me to take your opinion seriously.

How do the New series of Mario not count? Did l dream them?..And what about 3D Land? lt doesn't matter if they are officially official main series games, they are non spin off mario platformers. Last year, Nintendo's big Holiday title was a multiplayer mario platformer, this year, the big holiday title was a multiplayer mario platformer. The big holiday release the year before that for the 3DS was a Mario platformer, and then before that in 2010 there was Galaxy 2, and then the year before that the big wii holiday title was NSMBW.... lt is getting tiresome....

Super Mario 3D World is a very good game.. l like the little touches they added with some of the music choices and level designs, better variety of characters, etc... But it doesn't feel like a new game... lt is essentially, a combination of 3D Land, Super Mario Galaxy, New Super Mario Bros, and a dash of Super Mario Bros. 2 all rolled up into one game. There is little that this game brings to the table, that those games didn't all ready do. Sure the cat suit is cool, but mario always has some sort of new suit. A new suit isn't enough to make mario feel fresh at this point. All these games are starting to blur together. The little touches and some variety in the style is nice and appreciated, but the core of these games are still incredibly familiar. The quality isn't the problem, as they are all amazing games, but they have just made far too many in the past several years, and lve found myself enjoying them less because of it.

l wish Nintendo would take some time away to where they can possibly see Mario from a different angle and try a new direction... Focus on some different franchises and lPs for now..because its just too much as of now.

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts

Nintendo has handled their 3D Mario franchise extremely well. The closest it came to series fatigue was 3D Land, and the closest thing to a misstep Mario Sunshine, which people still love.

On the 2D side Mario is stale as can be and the state of 3D Zeldas is a little more controversial but I'm happy that Nintendo has been able to keep their 3D Mario franchise so consistently polished, relevant, and interesting.

Zaraxius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#47 Zaraxius
Member since 2013 • 221 Posts

Even though it's not as good as the Super Mario Galaxy series (which is admittedly tough), I still enjoyed my time with it. Even though I had a lot of fun playing with family members and friends, I felt like parts of the game were compromised to accommodate multiplayer.

Here's hoping that we get Super Mario Galaxy 3 on the Wii U.

babycakin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 babycakin
Member since 2012 • 1597 Posts

Just beat the game! Most fun I had since no idea, totally recommend it to everyone including trolls

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts

It's passable if you only play with and only 2 players.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By trugs26

@Jakandsigz said:

It's passable if you only play with and only 2 players.

I have yet to play it with more than 1 player. It's still damn good.