Sunset Overdrive running at 900p, allows for chaos!

• 124 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Sunset Overdrive hits the Xbox One as an exclusive to Microsoft's console on October 28, but days before its release, the developer behind the game has started talking about why they changed from running the game at 1080p, to 900p.

The downshift in resolution allowed the developer to have more on-screen action, as 1080p would've seen a reduction in on-screen mayhem as the frame rate would obviously drop. Creative Director with Insomniac Games, Marcus Smith, said: "Why would you want less action on screen? That's insanity. 900p works perfect for us. We spent a lot of time comparing and contrasting. We had it running at 1080p, we'd play it; we had it running at 900p, we'd play it and they didn't look considerably different. But the things that you could draw on screen were a lot more, and we wanted to draw a lot more on screen. More action, more better. Michael Bay would be very proud".

Another game where the 'next-gen' consoles, this time an Xbox One exclusive, is running the previous generation specs: 900p (or so) at 30FPS. I would've preferred to have heard they dropped to 720p and enabled AA, but bumping the frame rate up to a solid 60FPS.

Read more at http://www.tweaktown.com/news/40721/sunset-overdrive-on-xbox-one-at-900p-allowed-more-mayhem-still-30fps/index.html

This is further proof that console devs will have to decide on whats more important. Resolution and FPS or on screen content.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

but i thought this game would use TEH POWA OF TEH CLOUD! 10 xbones of powa! teh sdk! teh directx!

Sollet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Sollet
Member since 2003 • 8282 Posts

bla bla damage control bla bla

That's all I am reading.

legendofsense

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By legendofsense
Member since 2013 • 320 Posts

Bu bu bu lazy devs

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#5 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Just 8 days

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

Looks no more chaotic than Infamous tbh.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

lol a 900p game released in almost 2015. I'd ask this Marcus Smith guy if he isn't ashamed of releasing a 900p game on a console released less than a year ago and worth half a grand, would like to see his opinion on "900p works perfectly for us".

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45103 Posts

Insomniac does a lot of bullshit spinning before their games release. Remember Fuse? Ted Price was on every website hyping up the game

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Insomniac does a lot of bullshit spinning before their games release. Remember Fuse? Ted Price was on every website hyping up the game

But this is at least plausible. It's not like saying 'we chose 30fps to make it look more cinematic'. It's at least accurate to say 'high resolution would equal less shit on screen unless you want massive frame rate drops'.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

We knew this already. Still, they'd have done 1080p 60fps if the hardware wasn't weak.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 silversix_

@Desmonic said:

when your hardware base is limited.

exactly. and for the amount of money people payed, it shouldn't be anywhere near as limited.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 clyde46

@silversix_ said:

@Desmonic said:

exactly. and for the amount of money people payed, it shouldn't be anywhere near as limited.

Same could be said for the PS4 as well. 2014 and only 1080/30 is the best the PS4 has managed and even then if was a stretch.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

Game looks fun, that's all that matters, I'm disappointed when my Pc doesnt run 60fps at 1080p but not my consoles.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12062 Posts

Maybe they should have just said it was a cimematic design choice, right Cows???

Lulz...............

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 silversix_

@clyde46 said:

@silversix_ said:

@Desmonic said:

Same could be said for the PS4 as well. 2014 and only 1080/30 is the best the PS4 has managed and even then if was a stretch.

yes same could be and should be said about ps4 BUT it was cheaper and maxes my monitor resolution....... at least that is achieved with ps4

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17  Edited By bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

The game looks great. As long as the game is a blast the resolution shouldn't be a issue. Its just more Cows trying to lord their system with no decent exclusives.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 silversix_
@sailor232 said:

Game looks fun, that's all that matters, I'm disappointed when my Pc doesnt run 60fps at 1080p but not my consoles.

then don't worry because this game will be on pc six months or less after the Bone release

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mikhail
Member since 2003 • 2697 Posts

I'm sure DX12 and The Cloud will fix it.

lol, consoles.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

I don't see why they are getting defensive about it. It's clearly a design choice. You don't get developers being defensive about why their PS4 game is not downsampled from 2160p.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 clyde46

@ten_pints said:

I don't see why they are getting defensive about it. It's clearly a design choice. You don't get developers being defensive about why their PS4 game is not downsampled from 2160p.

Because that never happened....

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

This game is still running in 0000p on the PS4.

R

Enjoy playing with cross gen Sock Boy cows!

ShoTTyMcNaDeS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 ShoTTyMcNaDeS
Member since 2011 • 2784 Posts

How is the Driveflop doing for you cows?? I mean what other exclusive do you have right now? I am going to LoL when Sunset gets an 8 or 9 and then the cows try to discredit the GS reviewer.

legendofsense

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By legendofsense
Member since 2013 • 320 Posts

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

How is the Driveflop doing for you cows?? I mean what other exclusive do you have right now? I am going to LoL when Sunset gets an 8 or 9 and then the cows try to discredit the GS reviewer.

I'm gong to LoL equally as hard if Sunset flops and then lems try to discredit the GS reviewer. I win either way! Will have popcorn ready.

killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 killzowned24
Member since 2007 • 7345 Posts

Xbone gets a sub 1080p game EVERY week...LOL. And going by previews the game wont even ryse above a 5.

funkmaster1233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By funkmaster1233
Member since 2014 • 706 Posts

Poor Cows. They are desperate for an X1 game to flop because they are still awaiting greatness from their beloved childhood heroes at Sony.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

ef that shy mangt, they should have made an empty dead city with zero going on and we'd have 1080P no problem, damn you Insomniac, damn you, what the hell were you thinking. :P

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#28 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

It's just a roundabout way of saying "the hardware is not strong enough to support the same amount of action at 1080p". At least they are not completely eating their foot with statements like "900p 30fps is more cinematic!", so said Ubisoft.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@silversix_ said:

@Desmonic said:

With the XBox One, you're paying a premium for the Microsoft brand name over performance.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By silversix_

@Shewgenja said:

@silversix_ said:

@Desmonic said:

With the XBox One, you're paying a premium for the Microsoft brand name over performance.

and free ads as a cherry on top

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By silversix_

@sts106mat said:

@silversix_ said:

@Shewgenja said:

@silversix_ said:

@Desmonic said:

well only on playstation do people actually pay for ads..like driveclub and GT Prologue

and only on XBL do you pay $60 per year to see more ads related to random shit that isn't gaming ON a gaming system

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 clyde46

@silversix_ said:

@sts106mat said:

@silversix_ said:

@Shewgenja said:

@silversix_ said:

@Desmonic said:

well only on playstation do people actually pay for ads..like driveclub and GT Prologue

and only on XBL do you pay $60 per year to see more ads related to random shit that isn't gaming ON a gaming system

You pay for cable TV? Same thing.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

@FastRobby said:

@GhoX said:

It's just a roundabout way of saying "the hardware is not strong enough to support the same amount of action at 1080p". At least they are not completely eating their foot with statements like "900p 30fps is more cinematic!", so said Ubisoft.

They could have done 1080p, but then it would have been as boring as Infamous

It's already said to be as "boring as Infamous" but now it's just as boring while also being a lot less graphically impressive and coming out half a year after. Please be excited.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@clyde46: Wasn't this first confirmed like 6 months ago?

Rictshard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Rictshard
Member since 2014 • 265 Posts

@silversix_ said:

@sts106mat said:

@silversix_ said:

@Shewgenja said:

@silversix_ said:

@Desmonic said:

I love it when people complain about ads. They take up a small part of the UI and I'm not even on my dashboard long enough to care anyway. It isn't like Youtube where you're forced to watch an ad before watching a video or in the case of a game console before playing your game.

Just something for people to complain about.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Shewgenja

@clyde46 said:

You pay for cable TV? Same thing.

Should we really compare gaming to the entertainment media we shut off to play our games? We were a growing industry because we shunned such thinking twenty years ago.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

Honestly 900p is fine, hell not all games are going to be able to be pushed out at 1080p in 60fps even on PC so that's not a big problem. The issue here is that Sunset Overdrive isn't even that much of a graphically impressive game to begin with.

Everyone understands reducing resolution provides for more performance but that's usually acceptable when pushing a technically demanding game which Sunset Overdrive really doesn't classify as.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Shewgenja

@rictshard said:

I love it when people complain about ads. They take up a small part of the UI and I'm not even on my dashboard long enough to care anyway. It isn't like Youtube where you're forced to watch an ad before watching a video or in the case of a game console before playing your game.

Just something for people to complain about.

No. It's really not. That's why games are $60. You pay a high premium for commercial-free entertainment. At least, it used to be that way... When the industry was growing rather than seemingly saturated and having major players like MS who seek alternative revenue generation streams to maximize their profit model at the expense of market growth/appeal.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

Doesn't bother me, been waiting for this game since reveal. The only real reason I bought an Xbone so early is this game.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

So you have to choose 1080p OR Much on screen, you cant have both on Xbox

Crypt_mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#45  Edited By Crypt_mx
Member since 2007 • 4739 Posts

@aroxx_ab said:

You can't have either on Sony's console. The Order is sub 1080p with very little on the screen at any given time.

Could Sunset have run at 1080/30fps on the PS4? Perhaps, but again, none of us are programmers or designers. We do not know exactly what the trade off was, maybe with what they are rendering it would have been similar on the PS4 anyway. They are really very similar consoles, maybe the PS4 would have had better shadows or foliage or something like that but still not be able to push 1080p. I just don't understand Sony fanboys. The greatest thing the PS4 has achieved right now is 1080p 30fps, what's everyone bragging about? Plenty of X1 games nowadays are 1080p, and then the one that puts a bunch of crazy stuff on the screen gets criticized for being 900. What about if it's fun?

Forbes said themselves "900p be damned, this game is beautiful!" (or something to that extent) after their two hour preview.

Alcapello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Alcapello
Member since 2014 • 1396 Posts

Is this the game where you control the character? LOL no thx

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#47 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

@kuu2@FoxbatAlpha

Are we gonna co-op and you guys show me what real gaming is :P ?

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

@Crypt_mx said:

@aroxx_ab said:

You can't have either on Sony's console. The Order is sub 1080p with very little on the screen at any given time.

Could Sunset have run at 1080/30fps on the PS4? Perhaps, but again, none of us are programmers or designers. We do not know exactly what the trade off was, maybe with what they are rendering it would have been similar on the PS4 anyway. They are really very similar consoles, maybe the PS4 would have had better shadows or foliage or something like that but still not be able to push 1080p. I just don't understand Sony fanboys. The greatest thing the PS4 has achieved right now is 1080p 30fps, what's everyone bragging about? Plenty of X1 games nowadays are 1080p, and then the one that puts a bunch of crazy stuff on the screen gets criticized for being 900. What about if it's fun?

Forbes said themselves "900p be damned, this game is beautiful!" (or something to that extent) after their two hour preview.

Ubisoft shows Ps4 got double GPU score than Xboner so yeah Ps4 could had done both

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

@alcapello said:

Is this the game where you control the character? LOL no thx

Wait, what?? You prefer games where you don't control the character? Movie game fan confirmed. :P