Steam gained 10M new users in 3 months

• 127 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

- Steam accounts jumped 15 percent to 75 million from 65 million.

- North America made up 41 percent of sales

- Europe coming in a very close second at 40 percent

- Russia increased by 128 percent

- Brazil increased by 75 percent

Link.

PC gaming ftw :-P

What say you System Wars?

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

Thanks Dota 2

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

TC(onsolites)HBO!

Steam is flat out the best and most comprehensive service for gamers out there. If you aren't steaming you're doing it wrong!

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

i don't have much to say about the story. its just more good news for pc gaming.

not really surprised about the increasing popularity tbh. pc gaming's appeal seems to be on the up and up.

but thank you silent bob.

"No ticket!" (Dogma)

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

Awesome numbers.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

Steam has reached the point where it's just spreading like wild fire now. Suck it console kids!

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 IgGy621985

@CrownKingArthur said:

i don't have much to say about the story. its just more good news for pc gaming.

not really surprised about the increasing popularity tbh. pc gaming's appeal seems to be on the up and up.

but thank you silent bob.

"No ticket!" (Dogma)

"..."

- Silent Bob

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

While that's awesome, I don't really trust the whole user count as any sort of stat for XBL, Steam, PSN, etc. because of many people getting multiple accounts

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By IgGy621985

@Blabadon said:

While that's awesome, I don't really trust the whole user count as any sort of stat for XBL, Steam, PSN, etc. because of many people getting multiple accounts

Sure, but having multiple accounts on Steam is, well, pointless?

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@Rage010101 said:

Steam has reached the point where it's just spreading like wild fire now. Suck it console kids!

Meantime the 200+ million consolites continue to play their console games without a care in the world. lol!!

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

@IgGy621985 said:

@Blabadon said:

Sure, but having multiple accounts on Steam is, well, pointless?

True. I'm not saying there's not a chance the number's legit - there most certainly is - it's just the numerous amount of ways people just have these accounts and use them in different ways always make me feel a little sketchy about them all.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

But PC gaming is dying.

That's a lot of people.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

@blackace said:

@Rage010101 said:

Meantime the 200+ million consolites continue to play their console games without a care in the world. lol!!

You do realize that's just Steam right?

League of Legends alone has 32 million monthly players.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46292 Posts

I had this feeling the most sales would be from Europe and the US. Retail sales are still pretty strong in other regions and I find that Steam is more of a thing in Europe and the US.

It's also funny because those regions are actually quite expensive (still not as expensive as say Australia). Steam prices in Russia are waaay lower than Western Europe for example.

@blackace said:

@Rage010101 said:

Except they do have a care: owning all consoles to play all the exclusive games is an expensive thing. So a lot of people have to decide: which console shall I get ?

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

When intel igp's are able to play all games at decent settings, I think the numbers will explode. Intel igp's are already able to play BF4 at almost playable conditions. Just imagine when that performance gets doubled in a year or two.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Rage010101

@blackace said:

@Rage010101 said:

And there are even more pc gamers playing than your measly 200 million. Remember little console kid, Steam is just a piece of the godly PC pie.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Probably just a bunch of hackers

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

Lacks the best EA games

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#20 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Thats great but I'm sure there are alot people like me who only buy games on Steam when they're on sales. I've plenty of games on steam but I never gave more than 8 euros for one of them... Its great PC gaming still has legs but one would be naive to deny that consoles is where the most money is. What other reason for most AAA games release 1st on consoles and only really later on on PC?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lostrib

@Vatusus said:

Thats great but I'm sure there are alot people like me who only buy games on Steam when they're on sales. I've plenty of games on steam but I never gave more than 8 euros for one of them... Its great PC gaming still has legs but one would be naive to deny that consoles is where the most money is. What other reason for most AAA games release 1st on consoles and only really later on on PC?

please provide your sources

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@Lucianu said:

@blackace said:

@Rage010101 said:

That's nice. It's irrelevant to console gamers however. So the "suck it console kids" is just dumb. XBL has over 46 million paying subscribers and PSN has 110 million users. Sony won't say how many of those 110 million are actual paying PSPlus subscribers however. I have a Steam account as well, but haven't bought a game from it in over 2 years now.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

That increase in the russian market is encoraging considering it is one of the biggest countries for piracy next to china...it just goes to show that if you offer a great service people will use it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@lostrib said:

@Vatusus said:

Why do I need sources for the obvious? If the money was on PC wouldnt R* release a high profile game such GTA V or RDR at the same time as consoles? Would the vast majority of former PC devs flock to console development? Oh please, I dont need sources when the obvious is right in front of me. I'm not saying theres no money to earn on PC, but the obvious preference from devs towards consoles EVEN when they have to pay royal fees to consoles manufacturers contrary to PC and probably have to deal with higher costs of game development, is clear.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Rage010101

@blackace said:

@Lucianu said:

@blackace said:

@Rage010101 said:

That's nice. It's irrelevant to console gamers however. So the "suck it console kids" is just dumb. XBL has over 46 million paying subscribers and PSN has 110 million users. Sony won't say how many of those 110 million are actual paying PSPlus subscribers however. I have a Steam account as well, but haven't bought a game from it in over 2 years now.

You're so butthurt it's hilarious! I'm not surprised a dumbass like you would completely miss the point, that Steam is just a piece of the pc community. Learn to read kid. Suck it console kid and cry more.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Rage010101

@Vatusus said:

@lostrib said:

@Vatusus said:

Why do I need sources for the obvious? If the money was on PC wouldnt R* release a high profile game such GTA V or RDR at the same time as consoles? Would the vast majority of former PC devs flock to console development? Oh please, I dont need sources when the obvious is right in front of me. I'm not saying theres no money to earn on PC, but the obvious preference from devs towards consoles EVEN when they have to pay royal fees to consoles manufacturers contrary to PC and probably have to deal with higher costs of game development, is clear.

When you make a claim you must provide evidence/sources. Til then, you're just talking out of your ass sir. If it's as obvious as you claim to be, it shouldn't be hard for you to quickly link some sources right? Now get to it son, start providing some material instead of constructing some made of crap in that little head of yours.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Lucianu

@Vatusus said:

There is barely any exclusivity left in general, except for Nintendo. It goes both ways.. Most multiplatform games are shared with the PC as well. Rockstar have always been delaying the PC version of GTA for 6+ months ever since GTA III, and only they know the motives behind such an action. Could you name some examples of this vast majority, tho i'm pretty sure you'll name 7 out a 10 devs that were never PC exclusive to begin with because a lot of people make that mistake just because their biggest games were on PC.

Personally, i think that most 'AAA' exclusive games in the console market kinda need to be AAA pushed by huge marketing otherwise the devs behind them would die out due to lack of sales or the publishers would get pissed. That's why they're usually safe, bland and derivative. Have you seen how ridiculously stale and genuinely generic the PS4 and Xbone exclusives are? There will always be exceptions, but still.

Like Japan, that's my personal exception. That's literally the single reason why i'm still interested in consoles.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By lostrib

@Vatusus said:

@lostrib said:

@Vatusus said:

So one game (GTAV) is your evidence? And GTA games have always been released later on PC. That is not even close to evidence that "most" AAA games release 1st on consoles and later on PC. Nor should it be surprising if "consoles" (two/three systems) have more money than a single platform.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

@Vatusus said:

@lostrib said:

@Vatusus said:

So most money is on consoles because a few devs market towards consoles first and foremost?

You don't think it's simply because those few specific devs find more money in catering to that market? It's not an industry-wide phenomenon otherwise PC wouldn't get 10x as many games as all the consoles do in any given week. Those devs would be flocking to consoles if that's where most the money was for everybody.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Lucianu
@treedoor said:

So most money is on consoles because a few devs market towards consoles first and foremost?

You don't think it's simply because those few specific devs find more money in catering to that market? It's not an industry-wide phenomenon otherwise PC wouldn't get 10x as many games as all the consoles do in any given week. Those devs would be flocking to consoles if that's where most the money was for everybody.

I mean, really now, never understood arguments like the one Vatusus presented. Most 'AAA' games are on PC as well. They're multiplatform. And exclusivity is far stronger on PC as well due to the unlimited freedom it provides to anyone.

To put it in a analogy, the few console exclusives make a bigger splash and garner more attention, wile the many PC exclusive make a smaller splash and don't garner much attention. In this analogy splash = popularity, not quality. A lot of people like to equal popularity/attention with quality, which is fucked up beyond belief.

Avatar image for YellowSublimaze
YellowSublimaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 YellowSublimaze
Member since 2008 • 28 Posts

There is no place called Oceania. Therefore, these numbers are made up. Oh wait, I keep forgetting this is a Brit site.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@treedoor said:

@Vatusus said:

@lostrib said:

@Vatusus said:

What devs are you talkin about? Indies? Off course indies would release for PC first when its an open platform and they wouldnt have to pay royal fees to console manufacturers. They make their games for PC because its easier to do so and cheaper aswell. And lets face it, when those indie games reach a certain amount of success they're always ported to consoles. How many High Profile devs do you know who make PC exclusives that are not RTS or MMO, the only two genres that have failed on consoles more due to control schemes?

Am sorry, but if you trully believe those indie devs chose PC above consoles because its where the money is then you're just naive...

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts
@Lucianu said:
@treedoor said:

I mean, really now, never understood arguments like the one Vatusus presented. Most 'AAA' games are on PC as well. They're multiplatform. And exclusivity is far stronger on PC as well due to the unlimited freedom it provides to anyone.

To put it in a analogy, the few console exclusives make a bigger splash and garner more attention, wile the many PC exclusive make a smaller splash and don't garner much attention. In this analogy splash = popularity, not quality. A lot of people like to equal popularity/attention with quality, which is fucked up beyond belief.

exactly.

i think a lot of the big splash is artificial, coming mostly from marketing. which yes increases popularity but has no effect on game quality.

and yes. fucked up beyond belief. precisely.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

Bu..bu..bu..but PC IS DYING!!!!!!!!

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Lucianu

@Vatusus said:

@treedoor said:

What devs are you talkin about? Indies? Off course indies would release for PC first when its an open platform and they wouldnt have to pay royal fees to console manufacturers. They make their games for PC because its easier to do so and cheaper aswell. And lets face it, when those indie games reach a certain amount of success they're always ported to consoles. How many High Profile devs do you know who make PC exclusives that are not RTS or MMO, the only two genres that have failed on consoles more due to control schemes?

Am sorry, but if you trully believe those indie devs chose PC above consoles because its where the money is then you're just naive...

That's called branching out, and not all independent developers that become bigger do that, it depends on the company. They don't 'flock to console development', they branch out wile continuing to support PC. Again, multiplats. That's the thing these days. Most are shared with PC. Big 'AAA' games.

By RTS you probably meant the strategy genre? You do know that RTS is just one out of many sub-genres within the strategy genre? Why are you putting aside two popular PC genres solely to help your argument (there are examples of MMOs and RTS games that worked perfectly fine on consoles) you do know that on the flip side of the coin, one could just put aside first person shooters and 3rd person shooters, and create the same dilema.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11796 Posts

@Vatusus said:

@treedoor said:

@Vatusus said:

@lostrib said:

@Vatusus said:

What exactly makes a game AAA? Graphics? Cinematics? Gameplay? Budget?

How many AAA console exclusives are there that aren't funded by M$, Sony or Nintendo?

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

@blackace said:

@Rage010101 said:

PC has more gamers.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

REKT.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

@Rage010101 said:

@blackace said:

@Rage010101 said:

And there are even more pc gamers playing than your measly 200 million. Remember little console kid, Steam is just a piece of the godly PC pie.

Most of them poverty PCs.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@NoodleFighter said:

@Vatusus said:

@treedoor said:

@Vatusus said:

@lostrib said:

@Vatusus said:

How many AAA console exclusives are there that aren't funded by M$, Sony or Nintendo?

AAA is often associated with high budget games or franchises that scored fairly well

And quite a few actually: Bayonetta, Vanquish, RDR, Ninja Gaiden, Persona, Dragon's Dogma, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Tekken, Virtua Fighter, Soul Calibur... not to mention that a LOT of AAA games get 1st released on consoles and only later on on PC such as RE, GTA, MGR, L.A. Noire, DMC, etc. Besides indies and some really few exceptions (mostly composed of RTS and MMO) you rarely see a AAA game being released first on PC and only later on consoles. Even one of the PC flagship titles, The Witcher, will see its 3rd iteration being released at the same time as consoles. Why? Because W2 was a success and CDProjekt red is now able to develop for consoles.

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42 VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

love how some HERmites throw the words "console kids" around. Like playing a f&*n pc game makes you a man. Idiots gonna idiot I guess..

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11796 Posts

@Vatusus said:

@NoodleFighter said:

@Vatusus said:

@treedoor said:

@Vatusus said:

@lostrib said:

@Vatusus said:

AAA is often associated with high budget games or franchises that scored fairly well

And quite a few actually: Bayonetta, Vanquish, RDR, Ninja Gaiden, Persona, Dragon's Dogma, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Tekken, Virtua Fighter, Soul Calibur... not to mention that a LOT of AAA games get 1st released on consoles and only later on on PC such as RE, GTA, MGR, L.A. Noire, DMC, etc. Besides indies and some really few exceptions (mostly composed of RTS and MMO) you rarely see a AAA game being released first on PC and only later on consoles. Even one of the PC flagship titles, The Witcher, will see its 3rd iteration being released at the same time as consoles. Why? Because W2 was a success and CDProjekt red is now able to develop for consoles.

So multiplats and franchises from last generation? Resident Evil is considered crap now same for LA Noire, I see you had to resort to listing multiplats that later launch on PC. How many actual console exclusives do you know that are AAA that are not funded/published by Nintendo, Sony, or Microsoft and not on more than one platform.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

So the arguments against PC gaming success are:

-Exclude all the genres the PC excels at

-Ignore the fact that Acti/Blizz, Ubisoft, EA, Sega, 2K, and other big publishers put out big exclusives on the PC like Sim City, Total War, World of Warcraft, etc.

-Count high-rated games on consoles as AAA, but not on PC (for whatever reason I have no idea)

-Treat Japanese game development the same as Western as if PC has a huge market share in Japan

-Count late ports against PC, but don't count any of the improved versions of games PC gets

-Ignore all indie games because "lol indies"

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 lostrib

@treedoor said:

So the arguments against PC gaming success are:

-Exclude all the genres the PC excels at

-Ignore the fact that Acti/Blizz, Ubisoft, EA, Sega, 2K, and other big publishers put out big exclusives on the PC like Sim City, Total War, World of Warcraft, etc.

-Count high-rated games on consoles as AAA, but not on PC (for whatever reason I have no idea)

-Treat Japanese game development the same as Western as if PC has a huge market share in Japan

-Count late ports against PC, but don't count any of the improved versions of games PC gets

-Ignore all indie games because "lol indies", except the indies that come later to consoles. lul, lost exclusives, devs fleeing PC, consoles where the money at

FTFY

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@YellowSublimaze said:

There is no place called Oceania. Therefore, these numbers are made up. Oh wait, I keep forgetting this is a Brit site.

Australia, New Zealand and Pacific islands.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oceania

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australasian_ecozone

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

@Vatusus said:

@NoodleFighter said:

@Vatusus said:

@treedoor said:

@Vatusus said:

@lostrib said:

@Vatusus said:

Bayonetta,Vanquish,Persona and Dragon´s Dogma are AAA games? I don´t think you know what AAA means outside of the context of SW,those games are not at all what is considered to be a AAA game by the industry standards lol. Also,Virtua Fighter,Tekken and Soul Calibur? They were at some point in the past many years ago but these days? Not even close,even the latest VF was a download only game,now when the series was at it´s peak with VF 2 the games were also on the PC lol.

A game like Star Citizen alone has a bigger budget by far than any of the games you just mentioned aside from RDR(so far).

kalipekona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48  Edited By kalipekona
Member since 2003 • 2492 Posts

@blackace said:

@Rage010101 said:

So you have to combine every console in the world? lol All those systems are separate. You can't play a PS3 game in an Xbox 360 or an XB1 game in a PS4. Hell, you can't even play a PS3 game in a PS4. All gaming PCs play the exact same PC games.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

@Vatusus said:

@NoodleFighter said:

@Vatusus said:

@treedoor said:

@Vatusus said:

@lostrib said:

@Vatusus said:

Ok. Half of the games you listed didn't have big budget and didn't score very high. So what makes them AAA in your eyes.

Also you have no confirmation that Witcher 3 will be released on consoles day 1. Cyberpunk 2077 was not even confirmed for consoles yet.

And in my last thread

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/pc-will-dominate-rpg-scene-this-year-31021637/

you can check that PC will get the best RPG this year

7 exclusives

2 timed exclusives

plus multiplats such as ME, DA: Inq and Dark Souls 2

If it's not impressive for you, then you are just a blind fanboy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@whiskeystrike said:

Thanks Dota 2

This is essentially it. DoTa 2 and CS:GO... nothing to see folks... just more people forced to use it for 1 free game and 1 cheap game.