Steam Family/Friend Sharing on it's way

• 78 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#51 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59421 Posts

It wont work with alll games. Sadly, people like Ubisoft, EA, THQ, Capcom and other major gaming companies are assholes compared to Valve.

So it wont be surprising if it's a very small library. Not Vales fault of course, just greedy assholes who don't accept steam as the norm.

Edit: Actually capcom woke up and use steam now

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#52 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 23037 Posts
[QUOTE="TheEroica"]

Microsoft - "We have anti-consumer policies but they're good for you, trust us and don't pay attention to that whole NSA thing..."

Gamers-

main.jpeg

Valve - "We have a family share program!! it's limited but we've earned your trust over the years and we'll improve, you know you love it!!"

Gamers -

iStock_000007362979Medium_GroupHappyGray

Mr-Kutaragi
Fixed. And get over it.

Oh, I caught one. ... Still Microsoft's idea, despite your feelings about them. There are many people who don't feel slighted by Microsoft so they may not share that sentiment.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#53 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26119 Posts
[QUOTE="TheEroica"] Oh, I caught one. ... Still Microsoft's idea, despite your feelings about them. There are many people who don't feel slighted by Microsoft so they may not share that sentiment.

Microsoft planned to take features away, while Steam plans to add them.
uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#54 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59421 Posts

Oh, I caught one. ... Still Microsoft's idea, despite your feelings about them. There are many people who don't feel slighted by Microsoft so they may not share that sentiment. TheEroica

Microsofts would probably be much seedyer intentions compared to Valve. People in general, like and trust Valve because they saved gaming.

Mr-Kutaragi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#55 Mr-Kutaragi
Member since 2013 • 2466 Posts
Oh, I caught one. ... Still Microsoft's idea, despite your feelings about them. There are many people who don't feel slighted by Microsoft so they may not share that sentiment. TheEroica
PSN sharing has been around for years and was promote by Jack Tretton himself. Was 5 shares but reduced because publisher complaints since you can play games at same time and with eachother. I guess making it 10 people with more limitation was MS idea. Congratulation.
treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

And they say Microsoft doesn't bring good competition.

Good to see this feature coming to Steam.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

The godly keep getting godlier! :D

Brainhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Brainhunter
Member since 2003 • 2201 Posts

How Microsoft feels:

GNU7Ita.png

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#59 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

And they say Microsoft doesn't bring good competition.

Good to see this feature coming to Steam.

treedoor

There were rumors of this earlier this year based off of Steam database entries. That was before MS had ever said a word about Family Sharing

DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 DrTrafalgarLaw
Member since 2011 • 4487 Posts

Cool.

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
Wow, MS fails to bring their family sharing idea to fruition and now Steam picks it up. This is a good day to be a PC gamer
Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Yangire
Member since 2010 • 8795 Posts

Nice i'll ask my friend to share some of his games with me so i can get some achievements.

finalstar2007

Why care about Steam achievements? You can just unlock them all.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46673 Posts

[QUOTE="ninjapirate2000"]

So like the old Xbone policy? 

edidili

Apparently worse since this is limited to one PC. Just different family members using the same PC.

that was already possible

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#64 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

[QUOTE="ninjapirate2000"]

So like the old Xbone policy? 

edidili

Apparently worse since this is limited to one PC. Just different family members using the same PC.

No it isn´t,up to 10 devices,either in your home or not,so it´s actually much better.
PSdual_wielder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 PSdual_wielder
Member since 2003 • 10646 Posts

MS just got trolled by Valve.

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#66 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

nuoh my god...

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts

[QUOTE="parkurtommo"][QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Not really. You have to be on the same computer for this to work. This just allows you to keep your own Steam account private yet people on the same PC as yours can play your games. Rigth now you would have to let the person log into your Steam account. 

Wasdie

Then why do they have the system that prevents simultaneous gameplay? How does one play the 2 of the same game on 2 different accounts on the same computer?

I misread. The system does prevent you from playing somebody else's library if you start playing any game on your library.

It's very limiting. 

Come on man, its not limiting at all. Its exactly the same as lending a game to your friend, assuming you don't pirate it or use a crack. I dunno how else they could implement this system and still have a viable and profitable business. If you could have simultaneous play they would lose so much revenue. Yeah, sucks you cant share L4D with a buddy and play with them, but in all fairness, if your buddy wants to do that he should buy the game. Same thing applies for console games.if i buy COD: Modern Space Alien Warfare 3, I can lend it to a buddy of mine and he can enjoy it too, but once if we wanna play online together he has to buy it. If anything, this is a great way to try out games before buying them, or beating entire single player games without spending a dime. This multiplies your game library...I aint complaining.
gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#68 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

Actually I could use this and play through the COD single player without buying the game because I'm sure my friend will buy it :P

Sphire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Sphire
Member since 2004 • 2081 Posts
[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="parkurtommo"] Then why do they have the system that prevents simultaneous gameplay? How does one play the 2 of the same game on 2 different accounts on the same computer?II_Seraphim_II

I misread. The system does prevent you from playing somebody else's library if you start playing any game on your library.

It's very limiting. 

Come on man, its not limiting at all. Its exactly the same as lending a game to your friend, assuming you don't pirate it or use a crack. I dunno how else they could implement this system and still have a viable and profitable business. If you could have simultaneous play they would lose so much revenue. Yeah, sucks you cant share L4D with a buddy and play with them, but in all fairness, if your buddy wants to do that he should buy the game. Same thing applies for console games.if i buy COD: Modern Space Alien Warfare 3, I can lend it to a buddy of mine and he can enjoy it too, but once if we wanna play online together he has to buy it. If anything, this is a great way to try out games before buying them, or beating entire single player games without spending a dime. This multiplies your game library...I aint complaining.

Depends, now that I've thought about it, can we share the library, then game offline? At least that would mean we can play SP games without much hassle. Or will Valve work around that. I don't mind if I can't play the exact game my friend is playing, but to take away the entire library seems much. It's less that what you could do with a physical copy. Granted, it's an additional feature, so I won't complain. Especially if the offline thing works.
psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

Thanks BPoole. 

Seriously, this is awesome. Often when buying single player games in Steam Sales, I assign one to my account, the next one to the gf's etc, so that we can usually get on an account to play these games. 

We're both living in the residence and often use the same computers. In a disc based world of course we'd be sharing games. This sharing mitigates one of the negatives of PC gaming for me. 

Great news. 

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

MS just got trolled by Valve.

PSdual_wielder

:lol: The one good idea to come out of Microsoft! :lol:

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 II_Seraphim_II
[QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"][QUOTE="Wasdie"]

It's very limiting. 

Sphire

Depends, now that I've thought about it, can we share the library, then game offline? At least that would mean we can play SP games without much hassle. Or will Valve work around that. I don't mind if I can't play the exact game my friend is playing, but to take away the entire library seems much. It's less that what you could do with a physical copy. Granted, it's an additional feature, so I won't complain. Especially if the offline thing works.

yeah, that's my main concern right there. the whole "you have to share your whole library" aspect of this deal. But like you said, if Offline play is still available then i can sort of deal with it. Also I hope there is no "cooldown" on the lending aspect. What I mean is that, if a friend wants to play a game right now, I can lend him my library while I go out to a party or some shit, then as soon as I come home, I can retake my library without having to wait.
LordOfPoms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 LordOfPoms
Member since 2013 • 1138 Posts
I'm interested if publishers will go with this. Such a great idea though.
m3Boarder32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 m3Boarder32
Member since 2002 • 9526 Posts
I don't get it, I already have my account setup on my brothers PC so he can use my games whenever he wishes. Whenever he needs the emailed code to sign on he just texts me..
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 23037 Posts
[QUOTE="TheEroica"]

Microsofts would probably be much seedyer intentions compared to Valve. People in general, like and trust Valve because they saved gaming.

Willy105
Oh I'm sure there are perceptions at work here, but to see a feature (which is basically the same across these two platforms) get universally loved on one platform whena couple months ago it was universally hated on another is kinda funny no?
[QUOTE="TheEroica"]Oh, I caught one. ... Still Microsoft's idea, despite your feelings about them. There are many people who don't feel slighted by Microsoft so they may not share that sentiment. Mr-Kutaragi
PSN sharing has been around for years and was promote by Jack Tretton himself. Was 5 shares but reduced because publisher complaints since you can play games at same time and with eachother. I guess making it 10 people with more limitation was MS idea. Congratulation.

another reason to love Microsoft... bigger and better baby... Honestly though, the feature will be in its infancy and I'd imagine it will evolve over time. .. hopefully in the favor of consumers.
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts

Nobody but me uses my PC. 

This is kind of pointless. PC gamers generally do not share PCs. 

Wasdie
you can authorize mroe than one pc, i imagine they might make it easier to do remotely so you don't have to do over someone's house in sign in
II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 II_Seraphim_II
[QUOTE="m3Boarder32"]I don't get it, I already have my account setup on my brothers PC so he can use my games whenever he wishes. Whenever he needs the emailed code to sign on he just texts me..

Yeah, this would make more sense if you could lend individual games and still be able to use the rest of your library. But I guess this is more for friends, so u dont have to give ur friends your details.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#78 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
well it kinda defeats the only use i'd have for it if you can't lend specific games, and if i want to play ANYTHING on steam, then the person borrowing my game can't play, even if i'm not playing the game they are.