Steam Family/Friend Sharing on it's way

• 78 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

Link

UONnTPv.png

September 11, 2013 Steam Family Sharing, a new service feature that allows close friends and family members to share their libraries of Steam games, is coming to Steam, a leading platform for the delivery and management of PC, Mac, and Linux games and software. The feature will become available next week, in limited beta on Steam.

Steam Family Sharing is designed for close friends and family members to play one another's Steam games while each earning their own Steam achievements and storing their own saves and application data to the Steam cloud. It's all enabled by authorizing a shared computer.

Our customers have expressed a desire to share their digital games among friends and family members, just as current retail games, books, DVDs, and other physical media can be shared, explained Anna Sweet of Valve. Family Sharing was created in direct response to these user requests.

Once a device is authorized, the lender's library of Steam games becomes available for others on the machine to access, download, and play. Though simultaneous usage of an accounts library is not allowed, the lender may always access and play his games at any time. If he decides to start playing when a friend is borrowing one of his games, the friend will be given a few minutes to either purchase the game or quit playing.

----

FAQ:

I want to try this! How can I join the Family Sharing Beta?
To express interest in beta participation, join the Family Sharing Group on the Steam community. The Family Sharing beta will begin in mid-September, when a thousand Steam accounts from this group will be granted access to share their Steam libraries. Youll know youve been selected when you receive an email from Steam inviting you to try out the new feature.

How do I enable Family Sharing on my computer?
Family Sharing is enabled in one of two ways: You can either locally enable sharing in Account Settings, with Family Sharing & Devices, or remotely respond to a users Steam request to share your previously installed games via email.

Is there a limit to the number of devices I can authorize to share my Library?
Yes. A Steam account may authorize Family Sharing on up to 10 devices at a given time.

Can I share specific games, or do I have to share my whole library?
Libraries are shared and borrowed in their entirety.

Can all Steam games be shared with friends and family?
No, due to technical limitations, some Steam games may be unavailable for sharing. For example, titles that require an additional third-party key, account, or subscription in order to play cannot be shared between accounts.

Can a friend and I share a library and both play at the same time?
No, a shared library may only be accessed by one user at a time.

When I authorize a device to lend my library to others, do I limit my own ability to access and play my games?
As the lender, you may always access and play your games at any time. If you decide to start playing when a friend is already playing one of your games, he/she will be given a few minutes to either purchase the game or quit playing.

Sometimes the games Ive borrowed are unavailable for me to play. Why?
Borrowed games are only available on devices that have been authorized by the lender. Borrowed games will be unavailable on even an authorized device when the lenders library is currently in use on another computer.

Who owns and can access the DLC and in-game content associated with a borrowed title?
A borrower will have access to the lenders DLC, but borrowers may not purchase DLC for a base game they don't own. Any player may purchase, trade, earn, or otherwise acquire in-game content while playing a game, but in-game items cannot be shared between accounts. These items remain the property of the account that purchased or acquired them, whether borrowing or lending the base game.

Can region-restricted content be shared across regions?
No, any region restrictions will remain in place when lending or borrowing content.

Will I be punished for any cheating or fraud conducted by other users while playing my games?
Your Family Sharing privileges may be revoked if your library is used by borrowers to conduct cheating or fraud. We recommend you only authorize familiar computers you know to be secure.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

Can't wait for this to become a thing.

Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Jonwh18
Member since 2009 • 9350 Posts

Cool.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#4 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
Awesome, my dad can finally use my PC collection. :D I can't wait for him to try out KOTOR. Is the beta out now?
wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts
Sweet! I need to get my brother on steam.
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#6 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

Wouldn't this cause a loss in potential sales?

Edit: Oh nevermind, I guess it makes sense, when you play the game your frind can't play it at the same time, just like a physical copy of a game.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Nobody but me uses my PC. 

This is kind of pointless. PC gamers generally do not share PCs. 

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

DAMN YOU BPOOLE

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22787 Posts

Hellz YES! In other news... Microsoft's XONE department is on suicide watch after gaming community embraces a concept they forced out of the XONE. #gaminghypocracy

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TheEroica  Moderator

Wasdie
*ahem* your gaming friends just became your family...
Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jonwh18

Wasdie

Selfish hermits. :roll:

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TheEroica  Moderator
Awesome, my dad can finally use my PC collection. :D I can't wait for him to try out KOTOR. Is the beta out now?bbkkristian
I think they're starting with a small amount of people before opening it up.
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 parkurtommo

[QUOTE="parkurtommo"]

Wasdie

Not really. You have to be on the same computer for this to work. This just allows you to keep your own Steam account private yet people on the same PC as yours can play your games. Rigth now you would have to let the person log into your Steam account. 

Then why do they have the system that prevents simultaneous gameplay? How does one play the 2 of the same game on 2 different accounts on the same computer?
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 parkurtommo

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Jonwh18

Go to bed Jon.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="parkurtommo"]

parkurtommo

Not really. You have to be on the same computer for this to work. This just allows you to keep your own Steam account private yet people on the same PC as yours can play your games. Rigth now you would have to let the person log into your Steam account. 

Then why do they have the system that prevents simultaneous gameplay? How does one play the 2 of the same game on 2 different accounts on the same computer?

I misread. The system does prevent you from playing somebody else's library if you start playing any game on your library.

It's very limiting. 

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TheEroica  Moderator

[QUOTE="TheEroica"]

Hellz YES! In other news... Microsoft's XONE department is on suicide watch after gaming community embraces a concept they forced out of the XONE. #gaminghypocracy

Wasdie

Actually Microsoft's verison is better. 

XBOX ONE - Wasdie approved... :D I liked the idea from the beginning... The difference is that Valve will most likely explain it as a BENEFIT to gamers where Microsoft went out of their way to make us feel like it was a prison.
Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21703 Posts

Awesome. Now my bro and I can share games. :)

Crazyguy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Crazyguy105
Member since 2009 • 9513 Posts

For once Steam releases a feature I'm actually excited for.

Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jonwh18

[QUOTE="Jonwh18"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

parkurtommo

Go to bed Jon.

it's 1 in the afternoon. :?

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#23 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

parkurtommo
The program is targeted at people living in the same home. IDK about other people but, me and my mother share one account, this will allow her to sign into her own account and not mess with my saves, settings, ect. AND by creating her own account who knows She may end up buying something for once lol
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BPoole96

[QUOTE="parkurtommo"][QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Wasdie

I misread. The system does prevent you from playing somebody else's library if you start playing any game on your library.

It's very limiting. 

It's still good for SP games, especially if you and a friend have conflicting schedules where you aren't online around the same times. For instance, I am always gone all day Friday and don't get home until around midnight on Saturdays. This would enable a friend of mine to have tons of time to be playing some of my games.
edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

Well the original plans for xbox at least served a purpose. Too bad for MS it was bad PR for xbox and good ideas for the competition.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TheEroica  Moderator

[QUOTE="parkurtommo"][QUOTE="Jonwh18"] Selfish hermits. :roll:

Jonwh18

Go to bed Jon.

Second SLeep rocks though... Wake up at 7, have a cup of coffee and then sleep for another 6 hours... oh wait, thats a hangover morning. Jon, youre on this thursday night... you ready? handheld cast.
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

you can do that now if you trust your friend with your password.

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

Wasdie

Yeah, I too don't share my PC with anyone (PC=personal computer, after all), but still, as far as I understand, you can share your library with people on other devices, which makes this a fairly neat feature. Doesn't affect me much, but still, it's nice to have.

Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
ninjapirate2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ninjapirate2000
Member since 2008 • 3347 Posts

So like the old Xbone policy? 

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TheEroica  Moderator
[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="parkurtommo"] Then why do they have the system that prevents simultaneous gameplay? How does one play the 2 of the same game on 2 different accounts on the same computer?BPoole96

It's very limiting. 

It's still good for SP games, especially if you and a friend have conflicting schedules where you aren't online around the same times. For instance, I am always gone all day Friday and don't get home until around midnight on Saturdays. This would enable a friend of mine to have tons of time to be playing some of my games.

Poole, I just went to familytree.com and found out we're brothers from another mother... aka, I want your gaming library :P
edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 edidili

ninjapirate2000

Apparently worse since this is limited to one PC. Just different family members using the same PC.

Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Jonwh18

[QUOTE="Jonwh18"]

[QUOTE="parkurtommo"] Go to bed Jon.TheEroica

Second SLeep rocks though... Wake up at 7, have a cup of coffee and then sleep for another 6 hours... oh wait, thats a hangover morning. Jon, youre on this thursday night... you ready? handheld cast.

Yeah. I'm ready. Can we bump it back like a half hour though? DSS said it was starting at 8:00 your time? I can do 8:30.

Mr-Kutaragi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Mr-Kutaragi
Member since 2013 • 2466 Posts
Like psn sharing except cannot play together or at same time. So, 10 people does that mean if they are trying to play same game it will not work? Or, only leader can kick person off game. Confused.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BPoole96

[QUOTE="ninjapirate2000"]

edidili

Apparently worse since this is limited to one PC. Just different family members using the same PC.

Not true. Read the first blue highlighted section in the FAQ of the OP
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 parkurtommo

[QUOTE="parkurtommo"][QUOTE="Jonwh18"] Selfish hermits. :roll:

Jonwh18

Go to bed Jon.

ssshhh it's ok close your eyes
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TheEroica  Moderator

Microsoft - "We have a family share program!!"

Gamers-

main.jpeg

Valve - "We have a family share program!! not as cool as microsofts but still, you know you love it!!"

Gamers -

iStock_000007362979Medium_GroupHappyGray

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BPoole96
[QUOTE="BPoole96"][QUOTE="Wasdie"]

It's very limiting. 

TheEroica

Poole, I just went to familytree.com and found out we're brothers from another mother... aka, I want your gaming library :P

No problem! I'll be generous with mine since I'm away when most people have time to play.
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TheEroica  Moderator

[QUOTE="TheEroica"][QUOTE="Jonwh18"] it's 1 in the afternoon. :?

Jonwh18

Yeah. I'm ready. Can we bump it back like a half hour though? DSS said it was starting at 8:00 your time? I can do 8:30.

yeah, no worries... We always chat for a bit before recording anyway.
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 TheEroica  Moderator
[QUOTE="BPoole96"][QUOTE="TheEroica"][QUOTE="BPoole96"] It's still good for SP games, especially if you and a friend have conflicting schedules where you aren't online around the same times. For instance, I am always gone all day Friday and don't get home until around midnight on Saturdays. This would enable a friend of mine to have tons of time to be playing some of my games.

No problem! I'll be generous with mine since I'm away when most people have time to play.

haha... now thats an awwwww yeah.
Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Jonwh18

Gamers-

main.jpeg

Valve - "We have a family share program!! not as cool as microsofts but still, you know you love it!!"

Gamers -

TheEroica

Rightly so.

Sphire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Sphire
Member since 2004 • 2081 Posts
Seems very limiting. From what I understand, only one person can access the library at any given time, instead of say only one person can access a particular game at any given time. The second option would be much better and make this useful. The first means you've got to be on entirely different game-times to the other person. That kinda sucks, but at least it's something. My random brother half-way around the world might find this handy!
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 TheEroica  Moderator

[QUOTE="TheEroica"]

Gamers-

main.jpeg

Gamers -

Jonwh18

Rightly so.

because of the "always on line" strings attached?
coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#43 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

This is good news. My family already shares my steam account on certain games, but it will be nice that they can earn their own achievements, and keep their own saves separate from mine. Basically what the 360 and PS3 have been doing for awhile now.

edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 edidili

Seems very limiting. From what I understand, only one person can access the library at any given time,Sphire

You're sharing the account not the game so it makes sense. 

Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Jonwh18

[QUOTE="Jonwh18"]

[QUOTE="TheEroica"]

Gamers-

main.jpeg

Gamers -

TheEroica

Rightly so.

because of the "always on line" strings attached?

Yes. 

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52446 Posts
Bleh.
finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#47 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Nice i'll ask my friend to share some of his games with me so i can get some achievements.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#48 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59100 Posts

This sadly wont stop me having to put up with threads across varous forums of DRM heroes telling me why it's bad and steam is evil.

Mr-Kutaragi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Mr-Kutaragi
Member since 2013 • 2466 Posts

Microsoft - "We have anti-consumer policies but they're good for you, trust us and don't pay attention to that whole NSA thing..."

Gamers-

main.jpeg

Valve - "We have a family share program!! it's limited but we've earned your trust over the years and we'll improve, you know you love it!!"

Gamers -

TheEroica
Fixed. And get over it.
gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

It's good apart from only one person can play at a time.