Star Citizen Single Player SQ42 missions will be shown at Citizencon. Procedural planets with forest as well!

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I really hope the game will work well with joysticks at some point. I mean, it's a space 'sim'. imo flight sticks would be more immersive than keyboard/mouse. I tried using a Hotas in the alpha but it was weird with the... mmm gimbled(?) weapons.

Gimbled is a funny word XD I'm not sure it's an existing word. Aside from turning the ship you can also aim the weapons a little, and that doesn't work well with a Hotas. Or at least, it seemed messed up to me.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#52 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@anthonyautumns said:

@GarGx1: He's afraid that SQ42/SC will be a better FPS game than his Doom.

except it will not be primilary FPS game. just have FPS parts

of course it wont be better than Doom.

It's entirely a first person game, in fact one of the biggest bug bears has been getting the first person aspect and the core of all gameplay to work correctly. You do everything in the game from a first person perspective, you can flick to third person but it's only really for the view point, the game isn't really playable from third person. The difference being that you can fly ships from a first person view as well as run about shooting guns.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a8875b6c648f
deactivated-5a8875b6c648f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 deactivated-5a8875b6c648f
Member since 2015 • 954 Posts
@ghosts4ever said:

except it will not be primilary FPS game. just have FPS parts

of course it wont be better than Doom.

That's a dumbass comparison since they'll share pretty much nothing in common apart from the fact that they're FPS games. It's like comparing TF2 to Crysis...

oflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#54 oflow
Member since 2003 • 5185 Posts

@GarGx1: earning money from missions and spending at vendors is not the economy I'm talking about. I'm talking about the dynamic trade system that's influenced by players' actions influencing supply/demand etc. THAT is really the heart of this game to me not SQ42 or the generic mmo campaign.

Most people are hyped for SC because of the graphics. I'm hyped because it actually said it was trying to do something with the economy that mmos haven't done yet except maybe Eve.

The first step in actually making a real next gen MMO to me has to be them breaking the old economic systems and gear grinds of the current ones based on the old EQ formula. It needs a dynamic player controlled economy that give the players meaning besides chasing gear carrots on a stick. Many of have tried and none have really succeeded.

On paper their system looks brilliant but they really need to get it rolling to get the bugs out of it, other wise it's going to fail due to exploits, and if the economy fails the game fails.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#55 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@GarGx1: I don't think he understands what SC is doing with its first person tech. But that's OK if someone still enjoys simple run n gun games instead of innovation.

@oflow said:

Most people are hyped for SC because of the graphics.

That's not true buddy.

"I'm hyped because it actually said it was trying to do something with the economy that mmos haven't done yet except maybe Eve."

Yeah, same here. But I think it'll be awhile before we see full fledged economy system in action. We'll have to wait a bit longer for that one.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 GarGx1

@oflow: I know what you mean by the game economy but for any of that to happen, they need to have the careers implemented and the one that will have the biggest economic impact is trading, as it is in the real world. The base trading 'career' option is coming with 3.0, which obviously means you will be able to buy and sell goods from that seed the tree will grow.

I think you may be over estimating just how much players are going to influence the over all economy of Star Citizen though, it's not EVE online. The player base will only make up a small percentage of the game population with the vast majority being NPC controlled. A small example of this would be a factory needs 200 tons of Iron, from that a trading mission would be posted on the mission boards, if there are not enough players pick the mission up an NPC trader will carry the remaining goods to the factory to keep the wheels turning. Players will have some influence over the economy but don't expect us to have the ability to affect the decline or growth of a planetary system. There will eventually be player controlled mining stations, factories etc. but there will not be player controlled systems.

oflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 oflow

@Cloud_imperium: I think it's debatable. Most people I see hyping it primarily hype the graphics like it's the new Crysis. Sure it can have both but since there's not much actual gameplay what else can ppl hype? Didn't you make a thread about it having better facial animations than UC4?

oflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By oflow

@GarGx1: hehe I think you're underestimating what players in this type of game will do. Just from playing ED and seeing how players are effecting the economy which is a much more basic system with things like UA bombing, I think a game where big clans can actively pirate and/or blockade systems it can definitely have dramatic effects. That's what I mean about the exploits being tested.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 GarGx1

@oflow said:

@GarGx1: hehe I think you're underestimating what players in this type of game will do. Just from played ED and seeing how players are effecting the economy which is a much more basic system with things like UA bombing, I think a game where big clans can actively pirate and/or blockade systems it can definitely have dramatic effects. That's what I mean about the exploits being tested.

I certainly hope I am but I'm just trying to keep my expectations based around what's already been said by Chris and C.I.G. My hype is already high enough to be honest :) I guess we'll see when the time comes but yeah, I'll never be surprised by the innovation and rule bending ability of a player base.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#60 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@oflow said:

@Cloud_imperium: I think it's debatable. Most people I see hyping it primarily hype the graphics like it's the new Crysis. Sure it can have both but since there's not much actual gameplay what else can ppl hype? Didn't you make a thread about it having better facial animations than UC4?

"Next Crysis". Good thing, Crysis was more than just pretty graphics. It pushed gameplay further at the same time. It's next Crysis because it's innovating in a lot of areas. Most Star Citizen threads are about tech powering that game, not just visuals. All those ideas that made people excited are being executed now. The game didn't look impressive in early days. Then what made people back it? Developer's background and new exciting ideas.

I can't remember making thread about Star Citizen having better facial expression than Uncharted 4,,, at least in recent memory. Can you link that thread? Yes, graphics threads are there, but it's one of the areas where the game is innovating, not the only area. The game looked pretty bland when it broke all crowd funding records.

oflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By oflow

@GarGx1: well just from this description it seems like it will definitely be able to be influence by large/rich trade guilds, which is a good thing. We'll see when they flesh it out I guess.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/13128-The-Star-Citizen-Economy

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#62  Edited By naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:
@oflow said:

"Next Crysis". Good thing, Crysis was more than just pretty graphics. It pushed gameplay further at the same time. It's next Crysis because it's innovating in a lot of areas. Most Star Citizen threads are about tech powering that game, not just visuals. All those ideas that made people excited are being executed now. The game didn't look impressive in early days. Then what made people back it? Developer's background and new exciting ideas.

I can't remember making thread about Star Citizen having better facial expression than Uncharted 4,,, at least in recent memory. Can you link that thread? Yes, graphics threads are there, but it's one of the areas where the game is innovating, not the only area. The game looked pretty bland when it broke all crowd funding records.

it was Wasdie that made the thread, i think it was taking the piss out of all of the UC4 threads we had about the faces, it was just a low quality screenshot of just his eyes :P

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/it-was-nice-while-it-lasted-uncharted-4-33361768/#140

Supercut of just the facial tech

https://youtu.be/vQsgKBaYKoo

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@oflow said:

@GarGx1: well just from this description it seems like it will definitely be able to be influence by large/rich trade guilds, which is a good thing. We'll see when they flesh it out I guess.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/13128-The-Star-Citizen-Economy

We are not getting anything close to an EVE like economy, they have already stated from very early on they want to avoid that level of player influence.

All we will get, is similar to Elite Dangerous currently does. or games like Mount & Blade style A.I economy (but you cant actually crush any of it).

But yea people saying the hype around Star Citizen is graphics are completely oblivious.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#64 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

@oflow said:

that was wasdie..and it was more of a poke at cows that were bragging about the facial features in UC4. On a board like this talking about getting excited about gameplay has always taken a backseat to graphics. CIG aims to offer an experience that many sim/scfi fans have been dreaming about for years,but those who don't care about the genre will only see the game at face value.

Neobone2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Neobone2
Member since 2015 • 105 Posts

@oflow said:

Star Citizen will have the best REALTIME graphics and facial animations for the characters, cut scenes are not the same.

Loading Video...

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#66 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

Someone should calculate how much developer time has been used up making these videos, I love watching them and am a backer who plays on and off but I don't quite understand the daily updates and weekly interviews with developers, it's not just a developer sitting in front of a camera for 20 minutes, there's prep work, demos to be made and tested and scripts and all sorts so surely that 20 minutes with a dev is really an hour of his time not including the work involved in getting tech ready for the demoing purposes.

It must be well into the thousands of hours of time combined from all sources that is put into these videos and that could be an extra milestone hit or module released, they keep saying they have targets but keep missing them and I'm in no rush but shouldn't they knuckle down on content rather than this stuff?

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@JohnF111 said:

Someone should calculate how much developer time has been used up making these videos, I love watching them and am a backer who plays on and off but I don't quite understand the daily updates and weekly interviews with developers, it's not just a developer sitting in front of a camera for 20 minutes, there's prep work, demos to be made and tested and scripts and all sorts so surely that 20 minutes with a dev is really an hour of his time not including the work involved in getting tech ready for the demoing purposes.

It must be well into the thousands of hours of time combined from all sources that is put into these videos and that could be an extra milestone hit or module released, they keep saying they have targets but keep missing them and I'm in no rush but shouldn't they knuckle down on content rather than this stuff?

The community content is paid for by a seperate pool of money (subscription) and is a small team, those people can't make games... the head of departments/key developers are just taking 20 minutes of their time, which is likely a typical meeting slot. But yea, without these updates the project would of been dead years ago.

The new format is much better, instead of them talking about s*it for 40 minutes then tease 1 image/video ... its now all proper development talk/demonstrations which is very nice.