Star Citizen funding passes $33 million

• 122 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

Well...it´s official that Star Citizen´s budget is larger than the one of The Last of US, Uncharted 3 or Killzone: Shadow Fall (30M)

Thoughts ?

Source

babycakin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By babycakin
Member since 2012 • 1597 Posts

Damn, people really took the "Take my money" saying to heart.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#3 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

My thoughts are that this is fantastic. We need crowdfunding to work as well as any publisher can.

Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Sagem28
Member since 2010 • 10498 Posts

That's insane.
This game is gonna be the shiznit.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

can't wait

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

Hopefully the game delivers.

stizzal13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 stizzal13
Member since 2013 • 609 Posts

Hmmm...it appears their budget is growing along with the hype. I hope they deliver a great gaming experience. I wish them the best of luck.

Syn_Valence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Syn_Valence
Member since 2004 • 2143 Posts

This would have me excited, but my pc isn't going to be happy trying to run this....In fact it might try and kill me for it....SAD PANDA

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#11 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Easily my most anticipated game of all time. I'm glad they aren't rushing anything though.

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BeardMaster
Member since 2012 • 1686 Posts

While im sure they will produce a half decent game, I think we are going to start seeing the importance of having a publisher breathing down your neck and holding the purse strings.

I doubt the devs are going to have any idea how to scale for that budget and the product will likely not reflect the level of funding.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

This can't be pc gaming is dead

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23943 Posts

Part of me is getting worried now, the more budget the better of course. But some of those stretch goals look to be stretching the ambition a bit too far. I would rather have the game do space combat well, than do a dozen features poorly. I really hope this game turns out well though, I wanna pilot a ship together with Lawlessx and plunder stuff in space.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

This has become abit of a joke....the stretch goals are one ship per million (well some).

This better be amazing.... if its anything short of AAA (and there is a chance) it will be a complete disaster for kickstarters.

this is hype gone mad, we have seen nothing but trailers, an empty hanger ... no actual gameplay.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

@BeardMaster said:

While im sure they will produce a half decent game, I think we are going to start seeing the importance of having a publisher breathing down your neck and holding the purse strings.

I doubt the devs are going to have any idea how to scale for that budget and the product will likely not reflect the level of funding.

If you followed the project you would realise otherwise.

From day 1 Chris had the game split into "Modules" each module is worked on by a team, that team scales in size depending the budget and how much work is to be done the more to do the bigger each team gets.

He has 3 seperate teams just making the planets and sytems,a seperate team taking on The singleplayer, 2 teams working on the ships,etc etc

And what do you mean the product will not reflect the level of funding?? If anything the budget will go further as there are no overheads of a large corparation no advertising budget no need to make internal demos for the publishers he has already stated that the money he has taken can be anywhere upto 4 times the equivelent of a major publishers spending due to lower overheads and general waste that comes from publishers.

Do people forget that chris roberts is used to making big budget games if anyone can do it this guy can, and the 315,000 other people that have dropped money on this think so too.

With crowd funding you always accept the fact that things can go wrong or it may not work out like you planned, but if you think that from the start and don't trust anyone to deliver then crowdunding may aswell die before it takes off.

mrsheeno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mrsheeno
Member since 2005 • 149 Posts

I really hope it does well tbh but what if it fails.. can you imagine all that wasted money.

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BeardMaster
Member since 2012 • 1686 Posts

@naz99 said:

@BeardMaster said:

From day 1 Chris had the game split into "Modules" each module is worked on by a team, that team scales in size depending the budget and how much work is to be done the more to do the bigger each team gets.

He has 3 seperate teams just making the planets and sytems,a seperate team taking on The singleplayer, 2 teams working on the ships,etc etc

And what do you mean the product will not reflect the level of funding?? If anything the budget will go further as there are no overheads of a large corparation no advertising budget no need to make internal demos for the publishers he has already stated that the money he has taken can be anywhere upto 4 times the equivelent of a major publishers spending due to lower overheads and general waste that comes from publishers.

Do people forget that chris roberts is used to making big budget games if anyone can do it this guy can, and the 315,000 other people that have dropped money on this think so too.

With crowd funding you always accept the fact that things can go wrong or it may not work out like you planned, but if you think that from the start and don't trust anyone to deliver then crowdunding may aswell die before it takes off.

Not going to pretend its quite possible my skepticism is completely unwarranted, and ill admit Im definitely not following the project.

But I feel devs can get too invested in certain features and implementations and allow the cost of them to spiral out of control without someone giving them strict deadlines to follow and milestones to hit. Sometimes various components of a project simply need to be cut and abandoned when they are soaking up resources and arent progressing quickly enough and I feel like devs often get too attached to their vision and arent willing to make the cold calculated business decisions required to get a game out the door in a timely manner (and we all know what too long of dev cycle can do to a game, ie duke nukem forever)

Although I think crowdfunding in general probably isnt going to pan out the way people think it will, and i think huge budgets will only amplify the inherent problems. Only time will tell, but in my mind the idea of ditching publishers in favor of crowdfunding sounds more like a pipe dream people want to work, than something that actually will work.

That said, im more than interested to see how star citizen turns out.

menes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 menes777
Member since 2003 • 2643 Posts

@NFJSupreme said:

This can't be pc gaming is dead

Bu bu bu bu but PC gamers only pirate. :P

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21702 Posts

My joystick is tingling.

g0ddyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By g0ddyX
Member since 2005 • 3914 Posts

Could be the 'Haf Life' of PC gaming this gen.
Am expecting more than just 'one' game... like a solid story and music and universe.

Heck, they can make spin off storys, animated comics etc.. Need to start planning for post release too.

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

i'm sure this will be a fantastic game. good financial situation to be in.

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24  Edited By MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

It´s already over 32 million lol.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

isnt still another year from release ? I wonder where funding will reach when it will be released

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

@adamosmaki said:

isnt still another year from release ? I wonder where funding will reach when it will be released

I'd guess around $50 million at least.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

So it seems they are getting funding for others at this point? No way gamers would fund them $2 million in like 3 or 4 days.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

pc wins

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

@adamosmaki said:

pretty sure at one point they will stop taking funding.

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MrYaotubo

@nutcrackr said:

So it seems they are getting funding for others at this point? No way gamers would fund them $2 million in like 3 or 4 days.

There´s a sale going on,it´s all from the community,no third parties/private investors involved since it passed 22M.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#31  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@BeardMaster said:

@naz99 said:

@BeardMaster said:

Not going to pretend its quite possible my skepticism is completely unwarranted, and ill admit Im definitely not following the project.

But I feel devs can get too invested in certain features and implementations and allow the cost of them to spiral out of control without someone giving them strict deadlines to follow and milestones to hit. Sometimes various components of a project simply need to be cut and abandoned when they are soaking up resources and arent progressing quickly enough and I feel like devs often get too attached to their vision and arent willing to make the cold calculated business decisions required to get a game out the door in a timely manner (and we all know what too long of dev cycle can do to a game, ie duke nukem forever)

Although I think crowdfunding in general probably isnt going to pan out the way people think it will, and i think huge budgets will only amplify the inherent problems. Only time will tell, but in my mind the idea of ditching publishers in favor of crowdfunding sounds more like a pipe dream people want to work, than something that actually will work.

That said, im more than interested to see how star citizen turns out.

I agree with the bold line but that takes one dude who sees the financing, progress and the plan. Not an expensive publisher + web of rules and regulations.

John_Matherson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By John_Matherson
Member since 2013 • 2085 Posts

Hope it flops like Too Human...just for the laughs.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jhonMalcovich

@John_Matherson said:

Hope it flops like Too Human...just for the laughs.

Mmmmm. No. It won´t be funny.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#35  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

The way its going, im expecting the game to reach 50 million before its release.

lunar1122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By lunar1122
Member since 2012 • 784 Posts

with more money, its going to get bigger and better, but with more money that means they have to create even more content... Going to take a longggggggg time till this game comes out

I hope it does simulation right, and also hope it has a dramatic single player experience. I believe it will incorporate first person shooter elements (on foot) as well right?

i really do want to play a simulation where it takes hours upon hours to fly to "other planets" in standard speed, or just a few minutes in hyper speed. I also hope to enter the atmosphere of a couple planets with my ship explore huge worlds.. But maybe thats begging to much.. also a 1000' person space dogfight has me really excited.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#37 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Crowd funding is a revolution for gaming.

I wonder how long till Nintendo starts using Kickstarter to see just how much demand for less commercially successful games there is.

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MrYaotubo

Holy shit it´s almost at 33 million just a few hours after passing 32M...

What is happening lol

Bruin1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Bruin1986
Member since 2007 • 1629 Posts

It looks awesome....

That said, this game has reached a level of hype among the hardcore PC community that is gong to be 100% impossible to meet. It'll be great from the looks of it, but people will still be "disappointed"

Locutus_Picard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Locutus_Picard
Member since 2004 • 4159 Posts

I doubt this game needs that much funding, I would have been OK with a 5 million budget Freelancer 2.

Nanomage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Nanomage
Member since 2011 • 2371 Posts

33 million achieved lol,that´s what,4 million this week alone? Crazy stuff,people are literally throwing money at this game.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#43 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

Game is going to be so complex, my head will instantly explode upon log in.

Peredith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Peredith
Member since 2011 • 2289 Posts

Herms must be desperate for an exclusive that isn't a low budget indie game.

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

So can they please release another trailer or some one playing the game. i feel like they've had plenty of time for that

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 TheFadeForever
Member since 2013 • 2655 Posts

@Peredith:

you mean like the ones the ps4 will have

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

@Peredith said:

If its a "low budget" indy game with better gfx and likely gameplay than anything psone or xbone will have for years to come.....

Yeah sure why not.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

Vid of them demoing the updated graphics and avenger with physically based rendering.

Loading Video...

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 jhonMalcovich

@Peredith said:

Isn´t the best PS4 exclusive a low budget indie game ?

padaporra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 padaporra
Member since 2005 • 3508 Posts

This is going to flop so hard.