Square Enix says Final Fantasy 16, Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth, and Foamstars failed to meet expectations.

• 142 results
Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7229 Posts

Guess the sad news just continues for Square Enix and its fans. We knew the games were flopping, but we didn't know it was this bad. But I guess you could sorta sense the massive failures when Sony and Square were so quiet about numbers.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#2 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70303 Posts

Sony fannies were using pseudo math to argue otherwise.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44270 Posts

Poo cows just can't catch a break these dayzzz. lol :P

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39691 Posts

Imagine even spending a cent on foamstars development. How disconnected from the reality must you be?

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Saint-George
Member since 2023 • 1395 Posts

Cows don't buy exclusives...

Unless they are xbox studios old ones that is..

Wanna buy some old shit cows?
Wanna buy some old shit cows?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46624 Posts

Good, more incentive to bring these games to PC, Xbox and other platforms.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 R4gn4r0k  Online
@hardwenzen said:

Imagine even spending a cent on foamstars development. How disconnected from the reality must you be?

Con air hair

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39691 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@hardwenzen said:

Con air hair

True man's haircut.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 7048 Posts

The problem is not many buys these games on Xbox( not to mention few own one 🤣) and the Switch can't run them. Meanwhile PC gamers will wait for deep discounts.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 R4gn4r0k  Online

@hardwenzen: I look like John Travolta in face/off. After he gets the operation.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 716 Posts

I Will get them once they come to PC.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23985 Posts

Not releasing FF16 on PC was a really really dumb move.

Most of FF14's fans are PC gamers. They were the target audience for this game.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12366 Posts

@silentchief said:

The problem is not many buys these games on Xbox( not to mention few own one 🤣) and the Switch can't run them. Meanwhile PC gamers will wait for deep discounts.

There's a sad truth to this.

The Switch successor should help out quite a bit; there was a rumor that they already have FF7R running on it.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11701 Posts

Cows love bragging about 3rd party games Sony money hats, they just don't like buying them.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44662 Posts

I think part of the issue with Sony's deal with Square Enix was the commitment length. And previous leadership at Square Enix set that course. Current leadership can't do much about it except let it run its course.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44505 Posts

Multi platform is the only way.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Mesome713
@Nonstop-Madness said:
@silentchief said:

The Switch successor should help out quite a bit; there was a rumor that they already have FF7R running on it.

Square needs to make games that can run on Switch and PC. They wouldn't be losing massive amounts due to high budget games not enough will buy. Not every game needs a GTA budget when they can ever sell 3million copies.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12366 Posts

@mesome713 said:
@Nonstop-Madness said:
@silentchief said:

Square needs to make games that can run on Switch and PC. They wouldn't be losing massive amounts due to high budget games not enough will buy.

They already do for most of their smaller budget games and, they don't provide better results.

Square's answer, like many of its colleagues, is fewer big games on more platforms which is why I think the Switch successor is incredibly important. They need their top tier games on Nintendo (and PC).

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1928 Posts

@mesome713 said:
@Nonstop-Madness said:
@silentchief said:

Square needs to make games that can run on Switch and PC. They wouldn't be losing massive amounts due to high budget games not enough will buy. Not every game needs a GTA budget when they can ever sell 3million copies.

Exactly. Octopath Traveler sold over 3 million copies and the sequel sold over a million. They aren't GTA numbers at all, but the game likely didn't cost much to make, so I'm sure they turned a profit on that particular series.

When Square Enix spends too much money on the hair, and the sales are lackluster... Tragic.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

I was told several times that these where good games.

Guess good games can not sell well sometimes.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Mesome713
@Nonstop-Madness said:
@mesome713 said:
@Nonstop-Madness said:
@silentchief said:

Square needs to make games that can run on Switch and PC. They wouldn't be losing massive amounts due to high budget games not enough will buy.

They already do for most of their smaller budget games and, they don't provide better results.

Square's answer, like many of its colleagues, is fewer big games on more platforms which is why I think the Switch successor is incredibly important. They need their top tier games on Nintendo (and PC).

Their smaller games do provide better results. With insanely smaller budgets, they sell in numbers their bigger games do. It's how the company has been staying afloat through so many big loses. If it weren't for their games released on Nintendo DS, 3DS, and Switch they'd be bankrupt.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Pedro

@fedor said:

Cows love bragging about 3rd party games Sony money hats, they just don't like buying them.

The truth.🤷🏽‍♂️

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 13092 Posts

@silentchief said:

Love me a good BS post per day^

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Silentchief

@kvallyx said:
@silentchief said:

Facts don't care about your feelings.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Pedro
@silentchief said:
@kvallyx said:
@silentchief said:

Thus, you ignore the facts.🤷🏽‍♂️

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Silentchief

@Pedro said:
@silentchief said:
@kvallyx said:
@silentchief said:

Thus, you ignore the facts.🤷🏽‍♂️

No fact was ignored.

Xbox gamers don't buy games( the console isn't selling) and Switch can't run them. These games don't typically do well on PC either at least not until they go on sale.

This is honestly just common sense at this point.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Pedro

@silentchief said:

No fact was ignored.

Xbox gamers don't buy games( the console isn't selling) and Switch can't run them. These games don't typically do well on PC either at least not until they go on sale.

Three points you made and two were factually incorrect and based on your feelings. So, I understand why you avoid facts.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8909 Posts

@mesome713: They also said they are going to aggressively port them to Nintendo, MS, and PC platforms ASAP.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Silentchief

@Pedro said:
@silentchief said:

No fact was ignored.

Three points you made and two were factually incorrect and based on your feelings. So, I understand why you avoid facts.

No they are factually correct. Xbox series console and game sales are tanking. A release on Xbox would barely move the needle base off the fact that games don't sell on the platform.

Cope and seeth but everyone knows this. Maybe MS can write them a fat check for gamepass? 🤣

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Pedro

@silentchief said:

No they are factually correct. Xbox series console and game sales are tanking. A release on Xbox would barely move the needle base off the fact that games don't sell on the platform.

Cope and seeth but everyone knows this. Maybe MS can write them a fat check for gamepass? 🤣

You can spin all you want but what you stated weren't facts but I understand that your feelings are important to you.🤭

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#31 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19680 Posts
@Maroxad said:

Not releasing FF16 on PC was a really really dumb move.

Most of FF14's fans are PC gamers. They were the target audience for this game.

I'm still waiting for FF16 and FF7 Rebirth to arrive on Steam... Square Enix should take notes from Capcom on how to expand their user base across multiple platforms.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Antwan3K  Online
Member since 2005 • 8388 Posts

it's almost like limiting your sales potential is limiting..

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4388 Posts

@Pedro said:

Sony fannies were using pseudo math to argue otherwise.

i tried to even debate them on it and ps console sales.

their in a fantasy world!

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2258 Posts

Pretty crazy that 3 million+ sold copies at 70$ a pop doesn’t meet expectations these days, even more so when it’s a ps5 exclusive!?

Anyway just started FF16 today actually and having a blast so fare and would highly recommend it to any rpg fan!

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By blamix
Member since 2006 • 2060 Posts

Great games FF16 and Rebirth. And yes they should release both on PC if they wanna make more dough.

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#36 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2600 Posts

Foamstars was a a given, the others fall directly into square's unrealistic projections, like when Tomb Raider sold like a gazillion copies and they said it was a failure.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6667 Posts

@silentchief said:

Now this is what you call damage control. The games have failed on Playstation because you cows prove that you talk about games on here more than you buy them, this is again further proof, but you automatically attack Xbox, Switch and PC lol.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#38 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58489 Posts

Well, hopefully they blame themselves for their own failure. "You reap what you sow" and "you made your bed, now you have to sleep in it" and so on and so forth...

@Pedro said:
@silentchief said:

You can spin all you want but what you stated weren't facts but I understand that your feelings are important to you.🤭

FEELINGS ARE FACTS DAMMIT!!!

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Last_Lap

@adsparky said:Foamstars was a a given, the others fall directly into square's unrealistic projections, like when Tomb Raider sold like a gazillion copies and they said it was a failure.

Could you share with the group what Square's expectations were?

I remember that Square was screaming from the rooftops when FF7 Remake sold 3 million in 3 days and yet not a peep from them when it comes to FF16 & Rebirth, so it seems from recent projections 3 million seems to be Squares sweet spot these days.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56374 Posts

@last_lap said:
@silentchief said:

Now this is what you call damage control. The games have failed on Playstation because you cows prove that you talk about games on here more than you buy them, this is again further proof, but you automatically attack Xbox, Switch and PC lol.

It should be noted that SE goes where the money's at...and that money is mainly from Sony. The problem is, as you correctly said it, PS5 players don't wanna buy SE games day one.

I admit, I did like FF7 Remake, but haven't bother with purchasing Rebirth due to my excitement for Stellar Blade in its place. I'll wait for PC version this time around as SE is slipping away from Sony.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Silentchief

@davillain said:
@last_lap said:
@silentchief said:

It should be noted that SE goes where the money's at...and that money is mainly from Sony. The problem is, as you correctly said it, PS5 players don't wanna buy SE games day one.

I admit, I did like FF7 Remake, but haven't bother with purchasing Rebirth due to my excitement for Stellar Blade in its place. I'll wait for PC version this time around as SE is slipping away from Sony.

I bought both FF7 remake and Rebirth. And Davillan proved my point. PS5 gamers are moving to PC. Why buy anything on Playstation when they know it will come to PC? Sony is effectively killing their ecosystem.

My point still stands. Xbox would barely move the needle on these types of games and " The Switch" can't run them. A more powerful Switch that is capable of running multiplats would help Square alot.

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#42  Edited By adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2600 Posts

@last_lap said:
@adsparky said:

Foamstars was a a given, the others fall directly into square's unrealistic projections, like when Tomb Raider sold like a gazillion copies and they said it was a failure.

Could you share with the group what Square's expectations were?

I remember that Square was screaming from the rooftops when FF7 Remake sold 3 million in 3 days and yet not a peep from them when it comes to FF16 & Rebirth, so it seems from recent projections 3 million seems to be Squares sweet spot these days, and

I'd love to, but they never give a number of what their "internal projections" are; as you mention, they announce sales or player numbers proudly (apparently), but a few months later say it fall short and in the case of mobile games they end the service,

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Last_Lap

@davillain: Well as it turns out that money isn't so much with Sony now is it, or are you referring to the money Sony gives Square for exclusivity?

Either way that money is nowhere near enough. But Square still has some hurt in its future because we all now Sony has moneyhatted episode 3 for FF7 remake, but I have no sympathy for them as they signed the deal with Sony.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11701 Posts

@silentchief said:
@davillain said:
@last_lap said:
@silentchief said:

I bought both FF7 remake and Rebirth. And Davillan proved my point. PS5 gamers are moving to PC. Why buy anything on Playstation when they know it will come to PC? Sony is effectively killing their ecosystem.

My point still stands. Xbox would barely move the needle on these types of games and " The Switch" can't run them. A more powerful Switch that is capable of running multiplats would help Square alot.

How does a person who's been a PC gamer for a decade plus, like Dav is, waiting for the PC release of a 3rd party game (that everyone knows is coming sooner than later) support your point?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Pedro

@fedor said:

How does a person who's been a PC gamer for a decade plus, like Dav is, waiting for the PC release of a 3rd party game (that everyone knows is coming sooner than later) support your point?

Logic and facts don't work on the lad.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56374 Posts

@silentchief: The Switch could run SE games, but the resolution is gonna take a massive hit! I can see SE doing business both with Sony and Nintendo at the same time if the Switch successor specs are said to be true of course. PS5, Switch 2, and PC would be adequate for SE.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18259 Posts

I'm actually more surprised to learn that Foamstars had expectations...

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy  Online
Member since 2015 • 1235 Posts

The shorter list is games that make Square Enix happy, if such a thing exists. But it's refreshing for a company to publicly dress themselves down for their own actions.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Pedro

@madsnakehhh said:

I'm actually more surprised to learn that Foamstars had expectations...

Well it had to, otherwise they would not have made it. The real question was why was it made to begin with?

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Last_Lap

@adsparky: Then why did you claim Square has unrealistic expectations if you didn't know them?

As with my link it seems 3 million seems to be Squares happy point as it was posted on Squares official website.

And since Square hasn't posted numbers for either game it seems they were failures, and you have to just laugh a Square for taking Sony's money and helping them out while sabotaging themselves.