Sony: Vita Is A PS4 Extension Device For Us

• 82 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Notably, the company is shifting gears in how it sells the PlayStation Vita, looking upon it less as a standalone game console and more as an accessory that extends the PlayStation Network.

"We’ve taken a more holistic view with our platforms. With Remote Play, Vita has now essentially become an extender or an enhancer for the main platform for other rooms in the house, or when someone else wants to use the main screen," says House, claiming that Sony is also hoping to market it to younger players in the future.

SOURCE

This is just sad, and on every level, it looks like Sony has absolutely given up on the Vita as anything more than a PS4 companion device- so this is what the world's most powerful handheld device has come to- a glorified, overpriced PS4 accessory, and an extender for Sony's online network.

Just sad. Clearly Sony doesn't know how to handle a handheld device.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

The good thing is that Vita still has a lot of games for it coming in the near future like Tales of Hearts R, Freedom Wars and a few other games by Sony Japan but once all those games are out whats next?

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

VITA = DEAD.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#4 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

Wow, Onlive mobile handheld.

The Vita is being salvaged confirmed.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#5 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

And that's where I officially declare the Vita situation EVEN WORSE than the Wii U.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

#VitaMeansDeath

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By FlamesOfGrey
Member since 2009 • 7511 Posts

Vita is fine if you like Japanese games (and Indies I guess). More than 70 games are in development by Japanese 3rd Party developers according to Famitsu magazine. Problem is people for some reason expected the Vita to have big AAA 3rd Party Western support. That is weird considering traditional handhelds have always been dominated by Japanese development. I'm not bothered by how Sony treats the Vita in regards to Western support since I prefer Japanese games and import regularly. It does suck for those who want AAA Western games though. Sell your Vita and move on at this point.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts

They announced games for it....I think rumor's of it's death are exaggerated.

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#9  Edited By speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

@trugs26 said:

#VitaMeansDeath

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45108 Posts

@FlamesOfGrey said:

Vita is fine if you like Japanese games (and Indies I guess). More than 70 games are in development by Japanese 3rd Party developers according to Famitsu magazine. Problem is people for some reason expected the Vita to have big AAA 3rd Party Western support. That is weird considering traditional handhelds have always been dominated by Japanese development. I'm not bothered by how Sony treats the Vita in regards to Western support since I prefer Japanese games and import regularly. It does suck for those who want AAA Western games though. Sell your Vita and move on at this point.

Pretty much the only reason I'm keeping my Vita, Japanese support.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

@trugs26 said:

#VitaMeansDeath

You're solid gold! Brilliant punchline.

Avatar image for samanthademeste
samanthademeste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 samanthademeste
Member since 2010 • 1553 Posts

Okay, so the Vita is dead. Isn't this old news? (no offense.)

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

best thing they could do. Without pokemon for the western market and monster hunter for japan the vita never stood a chance. Most western devs don't even care about handhelds while japan dev support is completely one sided in favor of nintendo. There's nothing sony could do. They created the most impressive handheld ever but people didn't believe in it. And no sales mean no games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
@Gue1 said:

best thing they could do. Without pokemon for the western market and monster hunter for japan the vita never stood a chance. Most western devs don't even care about handhelds while japan dev support is completely one sided in favor of nintendo. There's nothing sony could do. They created the most impressive handheld ever but people didn't believe in it. And no sales mean no games.

You know what Sony could do? Invest in the Vita themselves, create compelling, original content, and try to sell it, instead of always treating it as a second class citizen that gets scrappy seconds, leftovers, and hand-me-downs from the console, and actually shifting some of their console focus to it instead. As an analog, look at the Wii U, its situation is as bad as the Vita's (possibly worse), but did you see Nintendo abandoning it and doubling down on the 3DS or something like that? No, instead, they decided to create compelling content for the Wii U to sell it themselves, because they knew no one else would. Sony, Sony should have done that. Instead, they hung the handheld out to die. Having the 'best handheld ever created' doesn't mean squat if you won't create games that show us exactly why it is that.

Solid_Max13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 Solid_Max13
Member since 2006 • 3596 Posts

The vita had so much potential and yet don't kinda fucked up because they didnt know what to do

Avatar image for samanthademeste
samanthademeste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 samanthademeste
Member since 2010 • 1553 Posts

@charizard1605:

In all seriousness, I would have liked to see Sony invest more in the PS Vita as well, instead of just ignoring it. It had potential and I have nothing against the 3DS, but unfortunately, any non-Nintendo handheld usually flops, It's been like this since the original Gameboy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

Very sad. I played a Vita yesterday and was very impressed by its hardware and what it's capable of. Too bad it's dead.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

Guess it's a good time to trade in your Vita for a 3DS if you haven't already.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

lol charizard are you 1000 branches on GAF?

Whether you are or not, the OP on gaf just got banned for posting this because he didn't even apply context lol.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

Throw it in the PS4 box for free and @ 400 bones with DC packed in - I'm there. :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@misterpmedia said:

lol charizard are you 1000 branches on GAF?

Whether you are or not, the OP on gaf just got banned for posting this because he didn't even apply context lol.

Nope, not me lol. I do get asked that a lot though >.>

I saw the context later- he talks about the focus on indie games, but that doesn't really change the fact that the device is being treated more as an extension of the PS4 and PSN (explicitly so, in fact) rather than its own system. Sony's treatment of the Vita at E3 should really be proof of that, if any was needed.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By misterpmedia

@charizard1605 said:

I saw the context later- he talks about the focus on indie games, but that doesn't really change the fact that the device is being treated more as an extension of the PS4 and PSN (explicitly so, in fact) rather than its own system. Sony's treatment of the Vita at E3 should really be proof of that, if any was needed.

lol was just weird, exact same tone, view point. Not to mention avatar.... are you sure? *fry.gif*. And you read the context after...

It was mentioned as an extension for remote play specifically....well which is a feature I guess.
It needs to sell more to get the first party treatment I feel. Maybe they're waiting for the possible huge bump it may get from Minecraft as that seems to sell well on nearly anything.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@misterpmedia said:

@charizard1605 said:

lol was just weird, exact same tone, view point. Not to mention avatar.... are you sure? *fry.gif*. And you read the context after...

It was mentioned as an extension for remote play specifically....well which is a feature I guess.

It needs to sell more to get the first party treatment I feel. Maybe they're waiting for the possible huge bump it may get from Minecraft as that seems to sell well on nearly anything.

Absolutely. I've had two accounts on GAF already, how many corporate email IDs do you guys think I have? xD But yes, him (her?) and me often say the same things... about the same things.

And no, it needs first party games to sell. it is Sony's job to create reasons for it to sell, not our jobs to buy it to create reasons for Sony to support it. You know that's how it works.

Minecraft might just work. We'll see.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 misterpmedia

@charizard1605 said:

Absolutely. I've had two accounts on GAF already, how many corporate email IDs do you guys think I have? xD But yes, him (her?) and me often say the same things... about the same things.

And no, it needs first party games to sell. it is Sony's job to create reasons for it to sell, not our jobs to buy it to create reasons for Sony to support it. You know that's how it works.

I'm sure that was the view they had at the start, but I guess when you see that the product isn't selling maybe different strategies have to be undertaken as I would imagine pumping money into Vita FP content wouldn't see a great return if there's not many vita players out there to buy it in the first place. But yes I agree it still is Sony's job to do that work, but I can kinda see why they aren't, which sucks lol.

Yeah we'll see what minecraft does. Still need to grab and OLED before they become extinct. Got a wealth of PS+ games to play straight off the bat.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@misterpmedia said:

@charizard1605 said:

I'm sure that was the view they had at the start, but I guess when you see that the product isn't selling maybe different strategies have to be undertaken as I would imagine pumping money into Vita FP content wouldn't see a great return if there's not many vita players out there to buy it in the first place. But yes I agree it still is Sony's job to do that work, but I can kinda see why they aren't, which sucks lol.

Yeah we'll see what minecraft does. Still need to grab and OLED before they become extinct. Got a wealth of PS+ games to play straight off the bat.

See, if they had that same view at the start, they didn't actually act on it much. Why were none of Sony's A teams (outside of MM) ever assigned to the system? We got a bunch of B team sidestories and spin offs in the first six months, then we got a bunch of unoptimized PS3 ports (and they were almost always delayed), and then we got... actually, what do we get from Sony now? If the Vita did not sell, it's their fault. You can sell anything with compelling content, even the Saturn managed 10 million units worldwide because of Sega's support for it. In my opinion, Sony never exhibited enough confidence in the Vita for it to sell enough.

And yeah man, make sure to do that. The OLED screen is beautiful, it made it hard for me to appreciate any other screen after that, even the one on my iPad lol. And when you do grab it, make sure to pick up Persona 4 Golden. Greatest game ever, yo.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

@Kjranu said:

Guess it's a good time to trade in your Vita for a 3DS if you haven't already.

I want to trade in my 3Ds for the Vita for PS4 remote play :D

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

And that's where I officially declare the Vita situation EVEN WORSE than the Wii U.

You can play more games on VITA than on WiiU :P

Avatar image for Obviously_Right
Obviously_Right

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Obviously_Right
Member since 2011 • 5331 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@misterpmedia said:

@charizard1605 said:

brb reporting you to EviLore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Obviously_Right said:

@charizard1605 said:

@misterpmedia said:

@charizard1605 said:

brb reporting you to EviLore

k

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

I finally bought a Vita a few months ago. I was really looking forward to the remote play functionality. The remote play itself works well, but for me personally the screen is just too damn small to enjoy playing PS4 games on the Vita. I feel like I need one of those old gameboy magnifier add-ons to play, and enjoy it.

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

I got mine just a couple of weeks ago.

There's an unbelievable amount of content on it for me now, but it's because I'm extremely late to the party.

I'll tell you in a year how I feel about it. I've spent $200 on worse purchases.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Dire_Weasel said:

I got mine just a couple of weeks ago.

There's an unbelievable amount of content on it for me now, but it's because I'm extremely late to the party.

I'll tell you in a year how I feel about it. I've spent $200 on worse purchases.

As I never fail to say, make sure to get Persona 4 Golden >.>

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#33 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

**** off, Sony.

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

@charizard1605:

Got it on sale. :) I've got a trip to Boston coming up so I plan on digging in to it then.

So far I've been playing Spelunky and Hotline Miami.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

That's how it should be. Handhelds suck. I'd be damned if they assigned AAA studios to make vita games, what an awful idea.. The thing will work well as a remote play/psnow device for losers who actually play games while they are away from the home

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#36 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

@aroxx_ab said:

You can play more games on VITA than on WiiU :P

Maybe so, but at least Nintendo's actually doing something with Wii U. Sony's treatment towards the Vita is a joke.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#37 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

That's why I bought it. I wish most WiFi networks could handle remote play outside of the home... then it would be something truly noteworthy to talk about.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46292 Posts

RIP

Vita

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22679 Posts

My condolances. .. @Blabadon: @darkspineslayer:

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#40 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@charizard1605 said:
@Gue1 said:

You know what Sony could do? Invest in the Vita themselves, create compelling, original content, and try to sell it, instead of always treating it as a second class citizen that gets scrappy seconds, leftovers, and hand-me-downs from the console, and actually shifting some of their console focus to it instead. As an analog, look at the Wii U, its situation is as bad as the Vita's (possibly worse), but did you see Nintendo abandoning it and doubling down on the 3DS or something like that? No, instead, they decided to create compelling content for the Wii U to sell it themselves, because they knew no one else would. Sony, Sony should have done that. Instead, they hung the handheld out to die. Having the 'best handheld ever created' doesn't mean squat if you won't create games that show us exactly why it is that.

Spot on.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#41 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

honestly it needs a bunch of rpgs and puzzle games.

sony studios isnt known for doing those things well.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#42 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@donalbane said:

That's why I bought it. I wish most WiFi networks could handle remote play outside of the home... then it would be something truly noteworthy to talk about.

maybe in 10 more years....

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43  Edited By TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

Vita is done. Even when Sony themselves say it, some cows are delusional enough not to take heed.

At least the 3DS is not going anywhere anytime soon, esp. since their com. just gave up lol

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#44 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Told you

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#45  Edited By deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I had the Vita for about a year, and I got rid of it because I realized a while ago that Sony doesn't know how to do handhelds.

The system had some good downloadable titles early on - Escape Plan, Tales from Space, Super Stardust, to name a few. There were only a few really noteworthy games to buy for the system on cart for the longest time. Gravity Rush was great, but short, and felt like it could have been something more. People were divided on the Uncharted game for the system, but quite a few people enjoyed it. But it didn't take long to realize that the Vita isn't a system for lengthy, original adventures. It functioned best as a device for playing smaller downloadable games and older hits.

It's a shame, considering how powerful the Vita was, and the graphics it was capable of showcasing. But tbh, I look at the 3DS, and even though it is doing a lot better it's still in the same boat as the Vita. I think the fact of the matter is handhelds are having a really tough time competing nowadays. And developers want to make games for consoles, especially these brand new consoles that have a lot to prove right now.

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts

Good

AAA games dont work on handhelds. Things like GOW or Killzone always gave that "Why not just put it on PS3?" feeling. Its got plenty of japanese support so it's doing good imo. If anything, Sony should get smaller devs to do more work for it. Things like Gravity Rush and Tearaway

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

Thank god jpn devs give the system support.Since thanks to them I have alot to play for my vita.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

An extension? More like they're reaching. Did they even show Vita games during their conference. They just talked about how you could use a Vita as a controller and watch stuff on. Like their Move controller, Vita will not be talked about next E3.

Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
ninjapirate2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ninjapirate2000
Member since 2008 • 3347 Posts

And I just bought the BL2 bundle...

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#50  Edited By Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts

And now I question myself on why I bothered buying one in the first place.... Still not willing to sell it though.