Sony spend nearly double on advertising in US than Microsoft

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5882 Posts

http://www.xboxmad.net/x/ps4-outspends-xbox-in-tv-marketing.html

Turn up for the books, the power of advertising (system wars bit :) )

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

bu-bu-bu sony have no money!!!

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

Seems to be paying off for them. They sold 2.5 times more PS4s than Xbones last month and the month before that it was almost 2:1 in favor of PS4.

Seems they really wanted to win the US back this gen.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

That "Xboxmad"article is incorrect. It's very amateur, it seems everyone is starting a game news site these days.

The source used by that wrong Xboxmad article cited was specific in that it's Playstation vs. Xbox adverts, not PS4 vs. Xbone advertising. PS4 and Xbone are merely included. That means they included in this research PS3 and Xbox 360, as well as anything else. They are talking about Brands. In all likelihood, I'm sure the new machines got a majority of advertising (although that isn't stated), but the source article never states or singles out the new gen systems. I suppose it should be expected from a site called Xboxmad which I never heard of until today. In fact the Xboxmad article was poor and had a horrible slant and isn't worth our time. The source that terrible Xboxmad article used was a Wall Street Journal Article was more specific, not nearly as biased, revealed far more information, and I recommend people read that instead if they are truly curious.

Why read some moron's take and brief notes on another internet article when we can read the far source and learn more?

http://blogs.wsj.com/cmo/2014/06/26/playstation-is-video-game-industrys-biggest-tv-spender-so-far-this-year/

I can listen to my inebriated Uncle Buck tell me about Shakespeare'a Hamlet or I can go read it myself. Anyways, the legit WSJ article is linked above.

The WSJ piece also goes on to reveal for 2013, Xbox spent the most on commercials, followed by Activision, then Playstation and Nintendo.

The real article goes on to say:

---

The video game industry has spent $226.5 million on TV commercials in the first five months of the year, according to research firm iSpot, dominated by PlayStation and Xbox. Both companies have released eight TV ads so far in 2014.

Through the end of May, PlayStation has spent $59 million on national TV placements this year, iSpot said. The brand’s commercial spending has been focused on networks such as Fox, ESPN and Comedy Central during programs like NBA basketball and SportsCenter...

...The bulk of video game companies’ TV ad spending occurs between October and the end of the year. ISpot said Xbox spent $73.6 million on commercials for all of 2013, the most of any video game maker. It was followed by Activision, which had a big marketing push for the release of its latest Call of Duty game last year, PlayStation and Nintendo.

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 B4X
Member since 2014 • 5660 Posts

@tdkmillsy said:

http://www.xboxmad.net/x/ps4-outspends-xbox-in-tv-marketing.html

Turn up for the books, the power of advertising (system wars bit :) )

Spent*

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#6 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

I remember when cows acted like MS were evil for advertizing heavily. Can't wait to see the change of tune.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 I_can_haz

@SolidTy said:

That article is incorrect.

The source that wrong article cited was specific in that it's Playstation vs. Xbox adverts, not PS4 vs. Xbone advertising. PS4 and Xbone are merely included. In all likely hood, I'm sure they got a majority of advertising, but the source article never states it's only for the new gen systems. I suppose it should be expected from a site called Xboxmad which I never heard of until today. In fact the article was poor and had a horrible slant and isn't worth our time. The source that terrible article used was a Wall Street Journal Article was more specific, not nearly as biased, and I recommend people read that instead if they are truly curious:

http://blogs.wsj.com/cmo/2014/06/26/playstation-is-video-game-industrys-biggest-tv-spender-so-far-this-year/

It also goes on to reveal for 2013, Xbox spent the most on commercials, followed by Activision, then Playstation and Nintendo

---

The video game industry has spent $226.5 million on TV commercials in the first five months of the year, according to research firm iSpot, dominated by PlayStation and Xbox. Both companies have released eight TV ads so far in 2014.

Through the end of May, PlayStation has spent $59 million on national TV placements this year, iSpot said. The brand’s commercial spending has been focused on networks such as Fox, ESPN and Comedy Central during programs like NBA basketball and SportsCenter...

...The bulk of video game companies’ TV ad spending occurs between October and the end of the year. ISpot said Xbox spent $73.6 million on commercials for all of 2013, the most of any video game maker. It was followed by Activision, which had a big marketing push for the release of its latest Call of Duty game last year, PlayStation and Nintendo.

Thanks for the correction

I'm not being sarcastic, your post is very informative.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

O....kay....and?

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

sony's winning on every territory, so who cares?

#SDC2014

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@I_can_haz said:

@SolidTy said:

That "Xboxmad"article is incorrect. It's very amateur, it seems everyone is starting a game news site these days.

The source used by that wrong Xboxmad article cited was specific in that it's Playstation vs. Xbox adverts, not PS4 vs. Xbone advertising. PS4 and Xbone are merely included. That means they included in this research PS3 and Xbox 360, as well as anything else. They are talking about Brands. In all likelihood, I'm sure the new machines got a majority of advertising (although that isn't stated), but the source article never states or singles out the new gen systems. I suppose it should be expected from a site called Xboxmad which I never heard of until today. In fact the Xboxmad article was poor and had a horrible slant and isn't worth our time. The source that terrible Xboxmad article used was a Wall Street Journal Article was more specific, not nearly as biased, revealed far more information, and I recommend people read that instead if they are truly curious.

Why read some moron's take and brief notes on another internet article when we can read the far source and learn more?

I can listen to my inebriated Uncle Buck tell me about Shakespeare'a Hamlet or I can go read it myself. Anyways, the legit WSJ article is linked above.

The WSJ piece also goes on to reveal for 2013, Xbox spent the most on commercials, followed by Activision, then Playstation and Nintendo.

---

Thanks for the correction

I'm not being sarcastic, your post is very informative.

You are welcome. :)

I frequently like to go into links in forum threads and see what's what. Sometimes everything is kosher and other times I run across a newbie or biased site and just find the much better non-moron interpreted source and use source instead. Sometimes I don't have time and just smh and move on. Today's example is not a big deal, but it was a nice way to showcase how data gets misinterpreted and posted in forums. In this case, the writer of that xboxmad article took liberties with the Wall Street Journal source and provided his/her slant (someone named "Jez").

If I had a choice, I would rather quote Wall Street Journal instead of a no-name site in any event. I also like learning that for 2013, Xbox spent the most on commercials which Xboxmad skipped over.

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 B4X
Member since 2014 • 5660 Posts

@SolidTy:

Trust me this misleading thread title will be up for days.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#12 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Shouldn't Sony be using that money to buy buildings?

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts
@I_can_haz said:

Seems to be paying off for them. They sold 2.5 times more PS4s than Xbones last month and the month before that it was almost 2:1 in favor of PS4.

Seems they really wanted to win the US back this gen.

I don't think the marketing budget has had an impact yet. It's only sold 7 million. Everyone who has one is pretty much the so called knowledgable gamers who would have made up their mind regardless of marketing.

It's when a consoles has sold much more and you can say it's starting to attract more than the consoles natural audience that we can consider marketing to the impacting factor with the sales.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

Oh dear, Sony is completely blowing their load at the start of the gen

LOL

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

I don't believe it, Sony can't afford it. They would rather spend more adverts on other things than their gaming division.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 I_can_haz

@HalcyonScarlet: Fastest selling console in history says otherwise. No other console has sold close to PS4 in the same time period. Oh and it's either at 8 million or close to that by now.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

I've noticed, all the pass couple of boxing fights on HBO all have had the PS4 logo on the ring and Micheal Buffer (the "Lets get ready to rumble" announcer guy) says ".... bought to you buy Tecate, servesa con caracter. And Playstation, Playstation 4: Greatness Awaits..."

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Nengo_Flow

I've noticed, all the pass couple of boxing fights on HBO all have had the PS4 logo on the ring and Micheal Buffer (the "Lets get ready to rumble" announcer guy) says ".... bought to you buy Tecate, servesa con caracter. And Playstation, Playstation 4: Greatness Awaits..."

mind you that putting an ad for HBO Boxing/Showtime Boxing cost a hell of alot more then UFC or EPSN boxing.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
@RR360DD said:

LOL

oh yeah sony blowin their load all over MS's face

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Not surprising, given how the Xbox is a household name in the US.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#21 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@chessmaster1989 said:
@RR360DD said:

LOL

oh yeah sony blowin their load all over MS's face

Haha. Well played.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Microsoft is teh arrogant. Took the US market for granted.

My, how times have changed.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

So is Playstation.

XboxMad couldn't be a more fitting name for a lemming fan site, lol.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By foxhound_fox

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

So is Playstation.

Not nearly as much as Xbox. PlayStation is huge in Japan and Europe.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#25 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

website name xboxmad? Ok like i am going believe a word on their page

OneLazyAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 OneLazyAsian
Member since 2009 • 1715 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

So is Playstation.

If we are just going by brand name I would think Playstation holds the advantage. After all, PS and PS2 pretty much dominated everything for 20+ years in the states as well as the rest of the world and the PS3 held its own against an up and comer from MS.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By foxhound_fox

@OneLazyAsian said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

So is Playstation.

If we are just going by brand name I would think Playstation holds the advantage. After all, PS and PS2 pretty much dominated everything for 20+ years in the states as well as the rest of the world and the PS3 held its own against an up and comer from MS.

20+ years? The original PlayStation came out in 1995 and the PS3 was a commercial failure for the first couple years about a decade later, and took till almost the end of the generation to just barely match the 360's sales numbers.

Go out on the street and ask around, people will recognize Mario, Pikachu and Pac-Man... and maybe Master Chief. They won't recognize Kratos, Sackboy or Nissan GTR R34 #75.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

@OneLazyAsian said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

So is Playstation.

20+ years? The original PlayStation came out in 1995 and the PS3 was a commercial failure for the first couple years about a decade later, and took till almost the end of the generation to just barely match the 360's sales numbers.

Go out on the street and ask around, people will recognize Mario, Pikachu and Pac-Man... and maybe Master Chief. They won't recognize Kratos, Sackboy or Nissan GTR R34 #75.

Where exactly do you live? Speaking from personal experience living in San Diego I know of a lot of people that recognize kratos, sackboy, and other members of Sony owned Franchises.

Especially from ND.

Mr-Kutaragi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Mr-Kutaragi
Member since 2013 • 2466 Posts
@tdkmillsy said:

xboxmad

Yes

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

@I_can_haz said:

@HalcyonScarlet: Fastest selling console in history says otherwise. No other console has sold close to PS4 in the same time period. Oh and it's either at 8 million or close to that by now.

That's not what I was deputing, but I don't think it's come down to advertising.

Most of the buyers know what the deal is, probably early adopters and those core fans eager to upgrade from last gen.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@GreySeal9 said:

I remember when cows acted like MS were evil for advertizing heavily. Can't wait to see the change of tune.

You didn't read the article do you.?

Sony out spent MS in from January to may,but unlike MS sony had several games which were sony exclusives,and when i mean sony exclusive i am not talking about Titanfall like games,i mean MLB which is from sony,Infamous which is from sony,MS had no exclusives basically to advertise so sony out spent them.

Fun fact from the link.

The PS4 add was run 1058 times which cost like $ 9 million,the xbox one was aired 1,300 times and cost about $12 million.

Yet the result are quite different with 1056 times aired the PS4 add generated more than 2.5 million online views and 17,000 social actions,the xbox one add with 1,300 aired times generated only more than 1 million online views but they don't say more than 2,and only 6000 online actions.

So even that MS passed the add more than 200 times more the PS4 still generated more interest.

As a brand the xbox one generated 2.2 million digital interactions for a total of 6% in digital engagement in the category,the PS4 as a brand generated 7.4 million digital actions for a total f 19% engagement in the category...

I think is all say and done no matter how much MS advertise i think sony has this gen on lock.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 foxhound_fox

@GreySeal9 said:

"Hypocrisy" seems to be the word of the gen for cows this time around.

Alcapello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Alcapello
Member since 2014 • 1396 Posts

It give me cozy feelings when I see the commercials, really make it feel like a home.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

Spending on advertising is only smart. There are few things a company can spend money on with a better ROI than advertising.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts
@Nengo_Flow said:

Is not the only place where the PS4 logo has been spotted..

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/organisation/partners/

@foxhound_fox said:

Hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

Come on man the xbox 360 hasn't surpass the PS2 US numbers,is like you people forgot that Playstation was the most popular brand in US at a time,the xbox 360 even on US has not achieve the level of sales the PS2 did.

Is like the PS never existed before the PS3 for some lemmings like you..hahahaa

Sony is simply taking back what was twice theirs,MS won US once Sony won it twice..from 1995 to 2008 when the xbox 360 was able to beat the PS2 sales wise for the year.

@foxhound_fox said:

It came in 1994 in Japan on 1995 in US,from 1994 to 2008 sony held the best selling console yearly,MS took US and loss shamefully in Japan and loss in EU as well,so yeah the xbox 360 was as much as a failure as the PS3 was,both ended tied even that sony started at $600 dollars up to $300 more expensive than the 360,came 1 year late and was at a price disadvantage for basically the whole generation,what the PS3 survive the 360 would have not survive it period a $600 360 would have died and fry in hell on the first year,hell the $500 xbox one was already behind the PS3 and xbox 360 in sales for the first 5 months,they shipped 5.1 million by march 31 2014 sony shipped 5.5 million PS3 by march 2007.

The xbox 360 has been outsold for years world wide slow and steady they loss the advantage they once again,and basically ended tied with sony's worse console effort ever..

Yeah ask on the street if people recognize kratos or sackboy and you will probably get a no,but say Gran Turismo and sure as hell you get a yes answer even more than master Chief..

Go ask on the street if any one can recognize one of this 2 brands,and see what you get i am sure way more will know what the PS is than the xbox + Master chief combined...

Is the reason the xbox one is under performing so bad against the PS4 now..

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

@Mr-Kutaragi said:
@tdkmillsy said:

xboxmad

Yes

hahaha. My favorite website now.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

Pie charts for our resident pie chart expert @Stevo_the_gamer!!!!111

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Nengo_Flow

@tormentos said:
@Nengo_Flow said:

Is not the only place where the PS4 logo has been spotted..

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/organisation/partners/

yeah, But Playstation has always been on Football field ads.

It had never been on a Boxing ring of the caliber of HBO Boxing/ PPV.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#41 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

thats good that both are spending money on it. and good for sony, ps3 had such horrible ads (remember the baby ones. that freaked me the f@ck out) other than kevin butler which worked for a bit. these commercials are better

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#42 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

It means that Sony is more desperate for sales then MS

nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 nervmeister
Member since 2005 • 15377 Posts

@speedfog said:

It means that Sony is more desperate for sales then MS

When Sony spends half a billion dollars on an ad campaign for a single peripheral like MS did with a certain motion sensor that's now been amputated from their latest console, let me know.

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

@SolidTy said:

---

Thanks for the clarification, though I knew I had a feeling just looking at the bootleg and broken looking site that it wasn't a credible source.

LOL!

@foxhound_fox said:

Maybe where you live in the boondocks in NYC everybody knows that Xbone is a PoS.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

Really credible site you got there.

Also. it's no secret that MS spends more on marketing their games than developing them.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

How about that vita marketing spend? Let me guess....?

Zero.