Sony really should get at price drop for the PlayStation 3.

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bestibomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 bestibomber
Member since 2009 • 659 Posts
They have enough exclusives coming out for now, but the main reason why people are not getting a PS3 is the price. They should either make a PS3 Slim or just have at least a $50 price drop to boost up their sales to keep up with the Xbox 360.
JIT93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 JIT93
Member since 2007 • 5590 Posts
I heard a price drop on Q1 or Q2 in 2009
bestibomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 bestibomber
I heard a price drop on Q1 or Q2 in 2009JIT93
The problem is that they denied it for obvious reasons and their just rumours they need to confirm it....
angry_fork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 angry_fork
Member since 2008 • 2184 Posts
Or you could stop being cheap. People spent the same amount on a cell phone, give me a break. You're getting Blu Ray, all the latest games multi-plat + exclusives, Free Online, a ton of upcoming games, and reliable hardware.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b
deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b
Member since 2005 • 4624 Posts
It's really not that simple as people on here make it out to be. Yes, they could drop the price now and lose even more $ per console in hopes that people buy it in droves, or they can wait until it starts turning a slight profit before the drop. Just because 17 people on here would buy one if it was cheaper doesn't mean the rest of the globe will follow suit.
Avatar image for Angry_PolarBear
Angry_PolarBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Angry_PolarBear
Member since 2008 • 961 Posts

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/sony-ps3-will-remain-most-expensive-console-on-the-market

before sony denied a price cut but now it's a maybe. Also pretty much backs up what Bez just said.

KGB32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 KGB32
Member since 2007 • 4279 Posts
i agree, if the PS3 was only 300 USD, id so get one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/sony-ps3-will-remain-most-expensive-console-on-the-market

before sony denied a price cut but now it's a maybe. Also pretty much backs up what Bez just said.

Angry_PolarBear

Damn, I like the headshots in your sig. Is it true you have to use the sixaxis for aiming, though?

(Note to Mods: I am merely asking a simple question, do not lock the thread)

Avatar image for Angry_PolarBear
Angry_PolarBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Angry_PolarBear
Member since 2008 • 961 Posts

Damn, I like the headshots in your sig. Is it true you have to use the sixaxis for aiming, though?

bez2083
your the 8th person to say that about my sig, anyway you don't use the sixaxis for aiming, you use the sticks for aiming but have to keep your hands still to keep your aim steady.
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
They will cut the price soon. Just wai-be patient.
navstar29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 navstar29
Member since 2004 • 4036 Posts

[QUOTE="bez2083"]

Angry_PolarBear
your the 8th person to say that about my sig, anyway you don't use the sixaxis for aiming, you use the sticks for aiming but have to keep your hands still to keep your aim steady.

And you could slightly adjust your hand movements for super slight movements, for even more accuracy. And I'd be extremely surprised if Sony doesn't drop the price before E3.
Avatar image for All_that_is_Man
All_that_is_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 All_that_is_Man
Member since 2008 • 2044 Posts
yep
Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ragnarok1051
Member since 2007 • 20238 Posts
[QUOTE="JIT93"]I heard a price drop on Q1 or Q2 in 2009bestibomber
The problem is that they denied it for obvious reasons and their just rumours they need to confirm it....

Why would you confirm a price cut in the coming months?
SeanDiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 SeanDiff
Member since 2007 • 933 Posts
Sony are making a loss on PS3's as it is.
bestibomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bestibomber
[QUOTE="navstar29"][QUOTE="Angry_PolarBear"]

[QUOTE="bez2083"]

And you could slightly adjust your hand movements for super slight movements, for even more accuracy. And I'd be extremely surprised if Sony doesn't drop the price before E3.

They probably will announce a price drop in E3.
nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nervmeister
Member since 2005 • 15377 Posts
They have enough exclusives coming out for now, but the main reason why people are not getting a PS3 is the price. They should either make a PS3 Slim or just have at least a $50 price drop to boost up their sales to keep up with the Xbox 360.bestibomber
Depends on how much Sony can lower the manufacturing costs.
Avatar image for All_that_is_Man
All_that_is_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 All_that_is_Man
Member since 2008 • 2044 Posts

Or you could stop being cheap. People spent the same amount on a cell phone, give me a break. You're getting Blu Ray, all the latest games multi-plat + exclusives, Free Online, a ton of upcoming games, and reliable hardware.angry_fork

My cell phone was more expensive then my ps3, and I plan to replace it in a year or 6 months

Steppy_76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Steppy_76
Member since 2005 • 2857 Posts
[QUOTE="angry_fork"]Or you could stop being cheap. People spent the same amount on a cell phone, give me a break. You're getting Blu Ray, all the latest games multi-plat + exclusives, Free Online, a ton of upcoming games, and reliable hardware.

Then Sony will have to rely on the subset of the gamer market, the "game and HD movie" market, and stay in 3rd place. For gamers there is a cheaper alternative that does the core function of the machine just as well.
web966

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 web966
Member since 2005 • 11654 Posts
Price isnt the reason i dont want one
dr_jashugan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dr_jashugan
Member since 2006 • 2665 Posts
Sony will have to create the PS3 Slim to stay competitive in the console market (IMO). 8)
NYrockinlegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 NYrockinlegend
Member since 2008 • 2025 Posts

True. However, it's not that simple. Sony seems to be having a rough time struggling with their profits in PSP and PS3, and to lower the price cut for them is to risk lowering their profit, and they're barely gaining any right now. There's also no guarantee that a price drop to $300 will sell the system any better than it is right now, since Microsoft seems to get the word out more for the 360.

Still, I'd have to argue that the PS3 price makes perfect sense to be worth $400, it and contains alot for the price, including Blu-ray, web browser, music player, video player, PlayStation Home, Wireless SIXAXIS control, and top-notch exclusives. Maybe a price drop to $300 would compete more with 360 sales though, but with them losing profit, I don't think it's a good idea business-wise. However, they need to market their system and games more.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts
Nah, everything is just rosey for the PS3 right now, it's doing perfectly fine...atleast that's what the fans tell me.
Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#23 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts
I'm not sure what's left for them to take out of the PS3 to be able to afford a price drop.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Bigboi500
I'm not sure what's left for them to take out of the PS3 to be able to afford a price drop. Lionheart08
Take out the Blu Ray. It sure as hell isn't a pre-requisite for my gaming.
DragonxanderPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 DragonxanderPR
Member since 2008 • 292 Posts

I wouldn't go for a price drop for current models. I would rather like that Sony made an 80 GB PS3 WITHOUT UNNECESSARY FEATURES (in terms of gaming alone). Consider getting rid of:

-2 of the 4 USB hubs

-SD/Compact Flash card readers

-CD/DVD player

-Printer support

-Operative System development/installing kits & capabilities

-Web Browser

-among others I haven't come up with

If there were a model of such kind, it would be equivalent to an Xbox 360 Arcade. Unlike its competitor, it would have no significant hardware problems, and it would have all necessary features in order to make it worth. It would benefit Sony (less long-term profit loss, more sales), the consumers (less to pay, thus opening a larger market) AND developers (more people to buy their games), since the hypothetical console would still be a good purchase, only that it would be more gamer-adressed.

If such a model were to be made (leaving the other ones as they are), it could sell for $300.

DragonxanderPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 DragonxanderPR
Member since 2008 • 292 Posts

[QUOTE="Lionheart08"]I'm not sure what's left for them to take out of the PS3 to be able to afford a price drop. Bigboi500

You must consider that would be catastrophic for Sony: many efforts put on the format war gone down the drain, major spendings for production equipment...The developers on their side would have the production equipment issue too. For the consumers, it would mean many games degraded, possible abandoning of earlier models, AND lack of support on the new consoles for the already published games.

GodofBigMacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 GodofBigMacs
Member since 2008 • 6440 Posts
There will likely be one in April, as most speculate.
MasteRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MasteRich
Member since 2006 • 479 Posts
You think if this was a logical business move they wouldn't have done it already? Please. The only reason why you people want a price cut is because SW is all about sales. From a business standpoint you need to make the best decisions to maximize profit and minimize expenses.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"][QUOTE="Lionheart08"]I'm not sure what's left for them to take out of the PS3 to be able to afford a price drop. DragonxanderPR

You must consider that would be catastrophic for Sony: many efforts put on the format war gone down the drain, major spendings for production equipment...The developers on their side would have the production equipment issue too. For the consumers, it would mean many games degraded, possible abandoning of earlier models, AND lack of support on the new consoles for the already published games.

Yes I'm fully aware of all that. It was just wishful thinking on my part.
Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#30 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts
why cant people understand that Sony cannot afford to cut the price of the ps3
nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 nervmeister
why cant people understand that Sony cannot afford to cut the price of the ps3Dante2710
I'm not sure. How much does the latest batch of PS3's cost to make?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b

[QUOTE="Dante2710"]why cant people understand that Sony cannot afford to cut the price of the ps3nervmeister

Currently about $50 more than what the consumer pays at the store. Couple that w/ lackluster software sales and low consumer confidence = 3rd Place.

_rpg_FAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 _rpg_FAN
Member since 2005 • 1418 Posts
Or you could stop being cheap. People spent the same amount on a cell phone, give me a break. You're getting Blu Ray, all the latest games multi-plat + exclusives, Free Online, a ton of upcoming games, and reliable hardware.angry_fork
Regular people DONT spend that amount on cellphone. Those people that do are not regular - they are rich kids or some pop stars that want to be "in"
nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 nervmeister

[QUOTE="nervmeister"][QUOTE="Dante2710"]why cant people understand that Sony cannot afford to cut the price of the ps3bez2083

Currently about $50 more than what the consumer pays at the store.

Okay. So all Sony needs to do is develop components that are all-together more than 150 dollars cheaper. How long will that take?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b
[QUOTE="bez2083"]

[QUOTE="nervmeister"]I'm not sure. How much does the latest batch of PS3's cost to make?nervmeister

Currently about $50 more than what the consumer pays at the store.

Okay. So all Sony needs to do is develop components that are all-together more than 150 dollars cheaper. How long will that take?

I remember reading an article (on Kotaku, I think?) that they should break even by the middle of the year. Other than that, who knows.

bestibomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 bestibomber
why cant people understand that Sony cannot afford to cut the price of the ps3Dante2710
They don't have to rush a price drop at least Q3. Or announce it in E3
omgnoway12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 omgnoway12345
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
The market doesn't view the ps3 as a greater value than the 360. If it did, Sony could justify the price and would be selling units right now. Whether they like it or not, Sony will have to lower the price to compete with the 360 or convince consumers that it is really worth the price, which they have failed to do. It doesn't matter whether it actually is a better value or not. The only thing that matters is whether the market percieves it as a better value. The answer to that right now is "no."
InfinityMugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38 InfinityMugen
Member since 2007 • 3905 Posts
Sony will have to create the PS3 Slim to stay competitive in the console market (IMO). 8)dr_jashugan
Agreed. Throw in a slim console with BC with a cheaper price tag and see how sales would pick up.
angry_fork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 angry_fork
[QUOTE="angry_fork"]Or you could stop being cheap. People spent the same amount on a cell phone, give me a break. You're getting Blu Ray, all the latest games multi-plat + exclusives, Free Online, a ton of upcoming games, and reliable hardware._rpg_FAN
Regular people DONT spend that amount on cellphone. Those people that do are not regular - they are rich kids or some pop stars that want to be "in"

Or people with a normal job. Seriously, 5 bucks an hour, 8 hours a day, 5 days a week gets you 200 bucks a week. And that's the BARE MINIMUM, considering minimum wage is 7 bucks now. There is no reason someone with a decent job can't afford a PS3, unless they're swarmed by bills or have a needy girlfriend, they're just being cheap.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts
they should just drop the ps3 and start working on the ps4 put it out in 2011 and hope to god that they learned from the mistakes they made this gen
Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts
Sony can't afford a price cut, they already don't make enough on the console at it's current price. They really don't have much more to cut out of it either. Top that off with the fact that you still have to BUY hd cables to get the console to display HD (or bluray at all for that matter) on your LCD/plasma tv... so the price is already actually higher than $400. I suppose they could sell it without any optical drive, and then you'd have to buy it seperate, then they coudl sell it for $300.
Solid_Max13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Solid_Max13
Member since 2006 • 3596 Posts
The PS3 is kind of like the economy at the moment a bit down but soon to be brought back up.
one_on_one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 208

#43 one_on_one
Member since 2008 • 2368 Posts
All I know is if they release a PS3 slimline with full BC for $400, I would buy it, and give my old one to my brother. I know Sony said there wouldn't be any price cuts in March or April, but we'll see.
thinicer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 thinicer
Member since 2006 • 3704 Posts
Sony will cut the price, and then Microsoft will follow suit a couple months later.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts
because blu ray players, the cheap ones are around 200$ i would need sony to drop the price around that much. i wont pay for some thing i will never use and dont want
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#46 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts
[QUOTE="_rpg_FAN"][QUOTE="angry_fork"]Or you could stop being cheap. People spent the same amount on a cell phone, give me a break. You're getting Blu Ray, all the latest games multi-plat + exclusives, Free Online, a ton of upcoming games, and reliable hardware.angry_fork

Or people with a normal job. Seriously, 5 bucks an hour, 8 hours a day, 5 days a week gets you 200 bucks a week. And that's the BARE MINIMUM, considering minimum wage is 7 bucks now. There is no reason someone with a decent job can't afford a PS3, unless they're swarmed by bills or have a needy girlfriend, they're just being cheap.

I got medical bills that's $325, so I'll have to get one later.
angry_fork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 angry_fork
[QUOTE="mitu123"][QUOTE="angry_fork"] Or people with a normal job. Seriously, 5 bucks an hour, 8 hours a day, 5 days a week gets you 200 bucks a week. And that's the BARE MINIMUM, considering minimum wage is 7 bucks now. There is no reason someone with a decent job can't afford a PS3, unless they're swarmed by bills or have a needy girlfriend, they're just being cheap.TX360
I got medical bills that's $325, so I'll have to get one later.

PWNED

In my post I said "unless they're swarmed by bills". So ...yea not only was his post useless it doesn't own anything.
mixmax5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 mixmax5
Member since 2006 • 2347 Posts
I'd definitely go ahead and get it if they were to put a price drop into effect.