Sony; "We don't buy exclusivity."

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 cakeorrdeath
Member since 2006 • 19079 Posts

SCEA president Jack Tretton says "We have a very different approach to exclusives than some of our competitors. We don't buy exclusivity. We don't fund development. We don't, for lack of a better term, bribe somebody to only do a game on our platform. We earn it."

Is this naive or admirable?

Link

gamergeekgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 gamergeekgeek
Member since 2006 • 3395 Posts
"we don't buy exclusives, we lose exclusives" :lol:
-Ninja_Dog-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 -Ninja_Dog-
Member since 2005 • 4197 Posts

Ignorant big tiime.

They got lucky last gen.

peacebringer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#4 peacebringer
Member since 2006 • 3371 Posts

SCEA president Jack Tretton says "We have a very different approach to exclusives than some of our competitors. We don't buy exclusivity. We don't fund development. We don't, for lack of a better term, bribe somebody to only do a game on our platform. We earn it."

Link

cakeorrdeath
He's right, PS1 and PS2 got Exclusive because it earned 100 million consoles sold, making developers wanna make games for those systems.
Avatar image for SmashBrosLegend
SmashBrosLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 SmashBrosLegend
Member since 2006 • 11344 Posts
Seems like an excuse to me. They haven't earned much of anything so far this generation.
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts

Sorry, but this is pretty old...in SW terms, that is. ;)

Anyways, yes, this is further proof that Tretton needs to be sacked. Now. He's becoming a joke.

Zeke129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 Zeke129
Member since 2003 • 11176 Posts

cakeorrdeath

Well that depends on the type of fanboy you ask.

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Verge_6
[QUOTE="cakeorrdeath"]

Link

peacebringer

He's right, PS1 and PS2 got Exclusive because it earned 100 million consoles sold, making developers wanna make games for those systems.

Ah, so the PS3 is pretty much screwed then, because it's in last place right now, right?

harry2k5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 harry2k5
Member since 2005 • 656 Posts

1st party = Nintendo
3rd party = Microsoft

where does sony fit in this? multiplats? 2nd party?

Avatar image for HyperMetaDragon
HyperMetaDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 HyperMetaDragon
Member since 2006 • 5345 Posts
That's just poor marketing efforts by Sony.
hockeyruler12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 hockeyruler12
Member since 2005 • 8114 Posts

"we don't buy exclusives, we lose exclusives" :lol:gamergeekgeek

ownage approved

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#12 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
Do they think the magical exclusvie fairy is just going to give them games? Developers want money. Your platform takes exhorbant ammounts of it to develop for. Not to mention you have a small installed user base. What developer in their right mind couldn't see the grass is greener on the other side? Mouth peices can be so ignorant.
cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 cakeorrdeath

Mouth peices can be so ignorant.Vandalvideo

The president of SCEA is a mouth piece?:|

iwo4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 iwo4life
Member since 2004 • 1155 Posts

Let me get out my crystal ball and pre determine most of the posts in this thread.

"Well they should"

"They should but cant afford it."

"They lose exclusives"

"Bu Bu Bu (insert generic fanboy remark) "

In reality there are only a handfull of 3rd party games that are big time exclusives anymore. If you want an exclusive you better publish it or make it yourself. That is one thing that Sony does just as well as Nintendo and some say better. They have a s load of studios under the Sony umbrella and they crank out some pretty decent games. Other than MGS, FF, GTA most of the big games last gen on the PS2 were made by Sony or 2nd Party Sony studios. GT, GoW, SoTC, Jak, R&C etc...MS is far behind Sony and Nintendo in this regard. They have Halo and Forza. Thats about it. Even GeoW is only exclusive for 2 games.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#16 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]Mouth peices can be so ignorant.cakeorrdeath

Who is really in charge of conglomerates nowadays?
MADVLAD123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 MADVLAD123
Member since 2005 • 6053 Posts

Link

cakeorrdeath

Companies are not about morals and ethics. They are about making money. Make your customers happy: get your money. No matter what it takes, as long as they please the customers they will make the money, and they will succeed.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts
[QUOTE="cakeorrdeath"]

Link

peacebringer

exclusive contract with GTA, Final Fantasy etc ring a bell. also on PS1 it gained exclusives because of low dev costs because of CDs. 360 and MS earned there exclusives as well. they have bought studios, added there own 1st/2nd party and have paid for rights to some big 3rd party exclusives. they have gone the extra mile to get exclusives. So 360 has earned it. ITs not like MS is cheating. Its called business.
Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts
Well, Sony indeed has never used the "only for my system" tag, that pretty much everyone else has used for their exclusive games.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jg4xchamp

Let me get out my crystal ball and pre determine most of the posts in this thread.

"Well they should"

"They lose exclusives"

In reality there are only a handfull of 3rd party games that are big time exclusives anymore. If you want an exclusive you better publish it or make it yourself. That is one thing that Sony does just as well as Nintendo and some say better. They have a s load of studios under the Sony umbrella and they crank out some pretty decent games. Other than MGS, FF, GTA most of the big games last gen on the PS2 were made by Sony or 2nd Party Sony studios. GT, GoW, SoTC, Jak, R&C etc...MS is far behind Sony and Nintendo in this regard. They have Halo and Forza. Thats about it. Even GeoW is only exclusive for 2 games.

iwo4life
dont be shocked if the series stays exclusive after that as well. with all the sales it will get on 360 and the money MS will put up for it. Gears is bound to be a 360 franchise for a long time.
Caseytappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Caseytappy
Member since 2005 • 2199 Posts

Link

cakeorrdeath

Both !

The man is admirable naive , a fool and proud of it .

SergeantSnitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SergeantSnitch
Member since 2007 • 3692 Posts

1st party = Nintendo
3rd party = Microsoft

harry2k5

... You're kidding right? Sony's 1st party is bigger than Nintendo and Microsoft's put together.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jg4xchamp
[QUOTE="harry2k5"]

1st party = Nintendo
3rd party = Microsoft

SergeantSnitch

... You're kidding right? Sony's 1st party is bigger than Nintendo and Microsoft's put together.

but in overall quality games and big franchises Nintendo beats Sony in that regard. Sony makes more games. but the big franchises count is Nintendos favor. Sony has a great mix of both. thats what makes sony great. they can be just 2nd at the other 2 and be 1st overall.
iwo4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 iwo4life
[QUOTE="iwo4life"]

"Well they should"

"They lose exclusives"

jg4xchamp

dont be shocked if the series stays exclusive after that as well. with all the sales it will get on 360 and the money MS will put up for it. Gears is bound to be a 360 franchise for a long time.

Not with the restrictive money hoarding MS is doing with the DLC from Gears. Even though Mark posted to diffuse the situation I don't think everything is so rosy between MS and Epic. They have battled on many points (DLC prices, mod community) and Epic never comes out on top of these discussions. I don't think they will like that for much longer. They probably make more from selling UE3 to everyone under the sun than what they made on Gears after MS takes thier publishing cut.

Yellow_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Yellow_Rose
Member since 2002 • 16739 Posts
The nore I read that statement, the more i can't help but thinl this is an attempt at pre-emptive damage control for what MS plans to announce at their E3 press conference. :lol:
kage_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kage_53
Member since 2006 • 12671 Posts
They bought Heavy Rain as an exclusive. Jack Tretton just get self owned even though most of the time since dont pay devs/publishers to make a game exclusive.
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Verge_6

They bought Heavy Rain as an exclusive. Jack Tretton just get self owned even though most of the time since dont pay devs/publishers to make a game exclusive.kage_53

Wait, they PAID for that steaming pile of crap to only be on their console!?

Blinblingthing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Blinblingthing
Member since 2005 • 6943 Posts
[QUOTE="peacebringer"][QUOTE="cakeorrdeath"]

Link

Verge_6

Ah, so the PS3 is pretty much screwed then, because it's in last place right now, right?

the games that sold those forementioned systems aren't on ps3 yet

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Verge_6
[QUOTE="Verge_6"][QUOTE="peacebringer"][QUOTE="cakeorrdeath"]

Link

Blinblingthing

And many of those titles were Playstation exclusives (or at least for a time), if I am not mistaken.

Blinblingthing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Blinblingthing
[QUOTE="SergeantSnitch"][QUOTE="harry2k5"]

1st party = Nintendo
3rd party = Microsoft

jg4xchamp

but in overall quality games and big franchises Nintendo beats Sony in that regard. Sony makes more games. but the big franchises count is Nintendos favor. Sony has a great mix of both. thats what makes sony great. they can be just 2nd at the other 2 and be 1st overall.

i doubt that one

tegovoltio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 tegovoltio
Member since 2004 • 9280 Posts
They never have. Not saying that it's a smart thing or not but I dunno what's the fuss about them saying it now.
valmonte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32 valmonte
Member since 2005 • 736 Posts

[QUOTE="gamergeekgeek"]"we don't buy exclusives, we lose exclusives" :lol:white_sox
Ask Quantic Dream where their going :wink:

I'd ask QD where they're going, but I have MORE IMPORTANT questions for them! Like, HEY! Are we going to get the next Gen equivalent of that AWESOME weight lifting mini game from Indigo Prophecy?!?!

d00d! That was the bawm! An instant classic! What new ways have you guys found to waste my time for this generation?!? I mean... can you TOP the claustrophobic breathing mini-game?

Seriously... I'm looking forward to PS3's usual suspects (Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Heavenly Sword, Ratchet and Clank, etc), but piss on QD. They still owe me the cost of the Indigo Prophecy rental and my wasted time.

Blinblingthing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Blinblingthing
[QUOTE="Blinblingthing"][QUOTE="Verge_6"][QUOTE="peacebringer"][QUOTE="cakeorrdeath"]

Link

Verge_6

And many of those titles were Playstation exclusives (or at least for a time), if I am not mistaken.

yes

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 jg4xchamp
[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"][QUOTE="iwo4life"]

"Well they should"

"They lose exclusives"

iwo4life

Not with the restrictive money hoarding MS is doing with the DLC from Gears. Even though Mark posted to diffuse the situation I don't think everything is so rosy between MS and Epic. They have battled on many points (DLC prices, mod community) and Epic never comes out on top of these discussions. I don't think they will like that for much longer. They probably make more from selling UE3 to everyone under the sun than what they made on Gears after MS takes thier publishing cut.

Epic and Cliffy B have also loved working on the 360. and for the most part have there fanbase with Microsoft. They will not let this game get away from them. Epic is not gonna say no to the money they will get. and they make money on DLC anyway which eventually becomes free. and with the way PS3 and epic have become all happy with each other. dont be surprised if MS starts letting epic have mroe freedom. trust me EPic is taking advantage of both companies. both will get there exclusive IP. and both will pay to keep it.
Blinblingthing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Blinblingthing

They never have. Not saying that it's a smart thing or not but I dunno what's the fuss about them saying it now.tegovoltio

Thats exactly what am thinking. I don't recall deals to have GTA etc exclusive to PS, nor do i recalled them paying Capcom to bring RE4 to PS2.

So why is it now that they made this statement its potentially naive???

iwo4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 iwo4life
[QUOTE="SergeantSnitch"][QUOTE="harry2k5"]

1st party = Nintendo
3rd party = Microsoft

jg4xchamp

Nintendo only leads the industry in Mario milkage and thats all. Zelda hasn't changed since the first N64 game. I don't see how the overall quality of Zelda:TP is any higher than God of War. At least there was dialoge in GoW. Not just a bunch of beeps and moans that seemed like they were ripped right off a NES cart.

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Verge_6
[QUOTE="Blinblingthing"]

Verge_6

yes

But...many of those exclusives had gone multiplatform, in one way or another. So, without the great quantity ofsaid exclusives...what are they going to do? Are hopes riding on new IP games like Lair, and Heavenly Sword?

Blinblingthing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Blinblingthing
[QUOTE="cakeorrdeath"]

Link

Caseytappy

Both !

The man is admirable naive , a fool and proud of it .

Are you trying to say that Sony has been paying for exclusives in the past???

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jg4xchamp
[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"][QUOTE="SergeantSnitch"][QUOTE="harry2k5"]

1st party = Nintendo
3rd party = Microsoft

iwo4life

Nintendo only leads the industry in Mario milkage and thats all. Zelda hasn't changed since the first N64 game. I don't see how the overall quality of Zelda:TP is any higher than God of War. At least there was dialoge in GoW. Not just a bunch of beeps and moans that seemed like they were ripped right off a NES cart.

opinion first of all. and theres more to a game quality than presentation. mostly because people dont want Link to talk.

anyway Zelda, Mario Platformers(not the milkage spinoffs), Metroid, Smash Bros, Fire Emblem, Battallion Wars, Advance Wars, Mario Kart, Pokemon, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Fzero, Starfox, etc.

Nintendo is still a better 1st/2nd party. Sony is just very,very,very close. i say they will be tie by the end of this gen. anybody who thinks Nintendo suddenly sucks as 1st/2nd party dev needs a bit of a reality check.
Blinblingthing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Blinblingthing
[QUOTE="Verge_6"] [QUOTE="Blinblingthing"]

Verge_6

yes

But...many of those exclusives had gone multiplatform, in one way or another. So, without the great quantity ofsaid exclusives...what are they going to do? Are hopes riding on new IP games like Lair, and Heavenly Sword?

Yes, I.E to compensate for some of those loses.

Think about it. PS over the years has given us sony critically acclaimed new IP

cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 cakeorrdeath

[QUOTE="tegovoltio"]They never have. Not saying that it's a smart thing or not but I dunno what's the fuss about them saying it now.Blinblingthing

Thats exactly what am thinking. I don't recall deals to have GTA etc exclusive to PS, nor do i recalled them paying Capcom to bring RE4 to PS2.

So why is it now that they made this statement its potentially naive???

Because they do not enjoy the same advantages they had in the past? and maybe their policy is out of date?

gromit007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 gromit007
Member since 2006 • 3024 Posts

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]Mouth peices can be so ignorant.cakeorrdeath

Everyone at Sony is a mouthpiece (in regards to the PS3). Ken Kutaragi kept SO MUCH of the development of the PS3 secret. When the product was finished they had a hella expensive console to market to the masses. Its tanking and devs are jumping ship because of it. Its up to Sony execs to say (by say I mean fabricate) things that put the PS3 in a positive light. Right now, positive spin is all Sony has going for it.

istreakforfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#43 istreakforfood
Member since 2004 • 7781 Posts

[QUOTE="kage_53"]They bought Heavy Rain as an exclusive. Jack Tretton just get self owned even though most of the time since dont pay devs/publishers to make a game exclusive.Verge_6

indigo prophecies was a decent good game. so who knows how heavy rain will do. no one really talked about it when this game was announced on e3. i was interested in at the time, but slowly fizzled out cause there were no updates about the game since 06s e3.

arent there other games besides heavy rain that sony bought for exclusiveness(err trettons term bride for exclusive :roll:)?
Blinblingthing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Blinblingthing
[QUOTE="iwo4life"][QUOTE="jg4xchamp"][QUOTE="SergeantSnitch"][QUOTE="harry2k5"]

1st party = Nintendo
3rd party = Microsoft

jg4xchamp

opinion first of all. and theres more to a game quality than presentation. mostly because people dont want Link to talk.

anyway Zelda, Mario Platformers(not the milkage spinoffs), Metroid, Smash Bros, Fire Emblem, Battallion Wars, Advance Wars, Mario Kart, Pokemon, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Fzero, Starfox, etc.

Nintendo is still a better 1st/2nd party. Sony is just very,very,very close. i say they will be tie by the end of this gen. anybody who thinks Nintendo suddenly sucks as 1st/2nd party dev needs a bit of a reality check.

SOny one list the SOny 1 and 2nd party games please.

Trust me Nintendo is no where close to what SOny has brought us

7thSIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 7thSIN
Member since 2002 • 1386 Posts
Sony absorbed alot of studios in the PS1, PS2 era and helped Square get back onits feet after Spirits Within.
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Verge_6
[QUOTE="Verge_6"]

[QUOTE="kage_53"]They bought Heavy Rain as an exclusive. Jack Tretton just get self owned even though most of the time since dont pay devs/publishers to make a game exclusive.istreakforfood

indigo prophecies was a decent good game. so who knows how heavy rain will do. no one really talked about it when this game was announced on e3. i was interested in at the time, but slowly fizzled out cause there were no updates about the game since 06s e3.

arent there other games besides heavy rain that sony bought for exclusiveness(err trettons term bride for exclusive :roll:)?

I was thinking of Vampire Rain by mistake. it's 1 am here, so my reading skills are...suffering.

ff7isnumbaone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47 ff7isnumbaone
Member since 2005 • 5352 Posts

"we don't buy exclusives, we lose exclusives" :lol:gamergeekgeek

dont be mad your xbox flopped and 360 is likely to follow in its footsteps. All Ms does is throw money around, which shows how much improving they need.

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Verge_6
[QUOTE="Verge_6"][QUOTE="Verge_6"] [QUOTE="Blinblingthing"]

Blinblingthing

yes

Yes, I.E to compensate for some of those loses.

Think about it. PS over the years has given us sony critically acclaimed new IP

But said new IPs could just as easily flop.

Blinblingthing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Blinblingthing
[QUOTE="cakeorrdeath"]

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]Mouth peices can be so ignorant.gromit007

Everyone at Sony is a mouthpiece (in regards to the PS3). Ken Kutaragi kept SO MUCH of the development of the PS3 secret. When the product was finished they had a hella expensive console to market to the masses. Its tanking and devs are jumping ship because of it. Its up to Sony execs to say (by say I mean fabricate) things that put the PS3 in a positive light. Right now, positive spin is all Sony has going for it.

Tanking??? You mean not selling good?

What would you expect the most expensive system to do with none of its best games available for it???/

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Verge_6

[QUOTE="gamergeekgeek"]"we don't buy exclusives, we lose exclusives" :lol:ff7isnumbaone

dont be mad your xbox flop and 360 is likely to follow in its footsteps. All Ms does is throw money around, which shows how much improving they need.

That was perhaps the lamest attempt at a comeback I have EVER seen...