Sony on PS4: We've never been first. We've never been cheapest. It's about

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44195 Posts

Well, IMHO, 360 was teh best this gen soo, just sayin.

Needed to say something like the above to make this SW worthy. :P:P

Discuss should you feel the need.

EDIT: I should have added; I really do hope they come through next gen and that goes for all systems since great competition makes gaming all the better for us, the gamers. :)

The Story.

---

Sony has indicated its priority with PlayStation 4 is to have it be the "best" next generation console, not being cheapest or beating Microsoft's next Xbox to market.

Speaking on Gametrailers, Sony Computer Entertainment US boss Jack Tretton said it is better to build a better machine and have it launch after its rivals than rushing it out.

"We've never been first. We've never been cheapest. It's about being the best," he said. "If you can build a better machine and it's going to come out a little bit later, that's better than rushing something to market that's going to run out of gas for the long term.

"Ideally, in a perfect world, you want the best machine that ships first that's cheapest. But the number one goal is to be the best machine and that's what we're always focused on."

In November 2011 PlayStation Europe boss Jim Ryan told Eurogamer it would be "undesirable" for PS4 to repeat the PlayStation 3's mistake of giving Microsoft a year's head start in the current generation.

"I think we would consider it undesirable to be significantly later than the competition [with the next PlayStation]," he said.

Tretton's "we've never been cheapest" quote is no doubt a reference to the perception that Sony hardware is relatively expensive. Back in 2005, ahead of the launch of the PS3, then Sony Computer Entertainment chief Ken Kutaragi said he wanted gamers to feel that they had to work overtime to afford one.

Now, some six years into the PS3's lifecycle, more information is coming to light on its successor, codenamed PlayStation Orbis. It is thought to be due out late next year, and a number of first party Sony developers are said to be making games for it right now.

But Tretton echoed comments made by Sony executives over the last year and a half, saying PS3 has plenty of life left. He said now, as the PS3 inches towards the end of its lifecycle, is the best time for gamers because games such as Beyond and The Last of Us truly show what it's capable of.

"We've talked about the 10 year product lifecycle back to the original PlayStation, and you have to climb that technology curve if you're a developer, and the consumer invests their money," he said.

"This is the time when the value is the best. It's my favourite part of the console lifecycle. We tend to have very long peaks. This is when you can just focus on building great games and let the consumer reap that investment they made by having great gaming experiences.

"In every platform we do, long-term lifecycles, diversity and coming up with those key franchises that are going to keep people interested in our platform, that's been really the focus through three consoles and two portables, and it will clearly be our focus going forward in the next generation."

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

Jack is right on this. I want a system as good as they can possibly make it with it being affordable and I want quality support. I don't want to see a rushbox disaster or a system they know they'll have to dump after 4 years for the next gimmick.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
interview with playstation (sony?) vp on GT interview he says ps4 games are currently under development... so its pretty much 100% guarenteed e3 2013 THE LATEST we will hear about the ps4. Im still hoping for a sneak announcement at gdc/tgs
Avatar image for carlisledavid79
carlisledavid79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 carlisledavid79
Member since 2006 • 10522 Posts
Secret Police in prefering 360 shock :P i kid kid :P
Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts
I think what Microsoft did with the 360 (minus the reliability problems) is the best way to go about it. If they plan it properly they should be able to get out a decent system like the 360 was when it launched, offering two options one for $300 and one for $400, then try and get manufacturing cost down as fast as possible to start making a profit. That way the console can last a decent amount of time, I think $300 for a system that looks to be lasting 9-10 years is very reasonable. I hope this is the route both Sony and Microsoft take, without the Cell and expensive bluray drives when they first launched, the PS4 and 720 should launch at a similar price point, with decent hardware.
tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

Well, IMHO, 360 was teh best this gen soo, just sayin. :P

Discussshould you feel the need.

The Story.

---

Sony has indicated its priority with PlayStation 4 is to have it be the "best" next generation console, not being cheapest or beating Microsoft's next Xbox to market.

Speaking on Gametrailers, Sony Computer Entertainment US boss Jack Tretton said it is better to build a better machine and have it launch after its rivals than rushing it out.

"We've never been first. We've never been cheapest. It's about being the best," he said. "If you can build a better machine and it's going to come out a little bit later, that's better than rushing something to market that's going to run out of gas for the long term.

"Ideally, in a perfect world, you want the best machine that ships first that's cheapest. But the number one goal is to be the best machine and that's what we're always focused on."

In November 2011 PlayStation Europe boss Jim Ryan told Eurogamer it would be "undesirable" for PS4 to repeat the PlayStation 3's mistake of giving Microsoft a year's head start in the current generation.

"I think we would consider it undesirable to be significantly later than the competition [with the next PlayStation]," he said.

Tretton's "we've never been cheapest" quote is no doubt a reference to the perception that Sony hardware is relatively expensive. Back in 2005, ahead of the launch of the PS3, then Sony Computer Entertainment chief Ken Kutaragi said he wanted gamers to feel that they had to work overtime to afford one.

Now, some six years into the PS3's lifecycle, more information is coming to light on its successor, codenamed PlayStation Orbis. It is thought to be due out late next year, and a number of first party Sony developers are said to be making games for it right now.

But Tretton echoed comments made by Sony executives over the last year and a half, saying PS3 has plenty of life left. He said now, as the PS3 inches towards the end of its lifecycle, is the best time for gamers because games such as Beyond and The Last of Us truly show what it's capable of.

"We've talked about the 10 year product lifecycle back to the original PlayStation, and you have to climb that technology curve if you're a developer, and the consumer invests their money," he said.

"This is the time when the value is the best. It's my favourite part of the console lifecycle. We tend to have very long peaks. This is when you can just focus on building great games and let the consumer reap that investment they made by having great gaming experiences.

"In every platform we do, long-term lifecycles, diversity and coming up with those key franchises that are going to keep people interested in our platform, that's been really the focus through three consoles and two portables, and it will clearly be our focus going forward in the next generation."

SecretPolice
MS the best are you high.? What abandoning their core base in favor of casuals,abandoning games in favor of apps that are on PC,smart phones and tables free,but hiding them behind a pay scheme.? The best making unreliable hardware that leave millions of gamers without consoles for weeks,months and in cases of those out of warranty without a console period. The best rising prices of games by $10 this generation,the best selling over priced peripherals,the best making you pay even more for something that was already to expensive.? Hell they have not done a price drop in ages,and have stagnated the price of its console,selling over priced because they are now in a good position and as we all know,if you are selling well you can't lower the price right.? MS has done so many wrong things this generation,that i don't even know how people still buy their console,$300 + 60 for live to get bombarded with ads,and get apps which are free even on cell phones. When it comes to value,and for a few years now games MS has been horrible.
2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts
The fact that they were 3rd to market, packed blu-ray into a grossly expensive gaming console, proves they were correct about not caring about being 1st or cheapest. I do believe they were marginally the best console based on all the features (especially if you bought it at the time the slim came out, PS3 slim for $299 (or now $249) beats the hell out of a XBOX slim for $299 and having to pay for Live just to play online. At launch they were also probably the best hardware since RROD was a bigger issue than YLOD, and of course early XBOX was only 20GB, controllers required AA batteries, and didn't even have wireless networking! However as a gaming machine, the PS3 was just priced too high on day 1 to really be a success. In effect the PS3 was 2 or 3 years late - which was just too much of a headstart allowed to everyone else. It's still admirable that Sony stuck with it and made some beast exclusives and supported the machine all the way through the rough start. I think with PS4 they will get it right and not go to that pricing extreme. If XBOX tries to launch with Kinect 2.0 as standard, that gives Sony the opening to make a better value as a pure gaming device.
Avatar image for Obviously_Right
Obviously_Right

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Obviously_Right
Member since 2011 • 5331 Posts

Damn Sony, why couldn't you say all this on stage at E3? Now you're getting me hyped for PS4 lol

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 tormentos
[QUOTE="2Chalupas"]The fact that they were 3rd to market, packed blu-ray into a grossly expensive gaming console, proves they were correct about not caring about being 1st or cheapest. I do believe they were marginally the best console based on all the features (especially if you bought it at the time the slim came out, PS3 slim for $299 (or now $249) beats the hell out of a XBOX slim for $299 and having to pay for Live just to play online. At launch they were also probably the best hardware since RROD was a bigger issue than YLOD, and of course early XBOX was only 20GB, controllers required AA batteries, and didn't even have wireless networking! However as a gaming machine, the PS3 was just priced too high on day 1 to really be a success. In effect the PS3 was 2 or 3 years late - which was just too much of a headstart allowed to everyone else. It's still admirable that Sony stuck with it and made some beast exclusives and supported the machine all the way through the rough start. I think with PS4 they will get it right and not go to that pricing extreme. If XBOX tries to launch with Kinect 2.0 as standard, that gives Sony the opening to make a better value as a pure gaming device.

Exactly i don't think they will go $600 again. First because if they choose blu-ray again which is ok,it will not cost them even close to what Blu-ray cost them back on 2006,also they are dropping cell those 2 alone make for a way cheaper console. And i think they will get a much better deal with AMD that they got with Nvidia,is clear that MS doesn't want to release another console,hell i think sony will release a new one before MS,they are seeing the 360 sell now,and now that is making them a ton of money,it would be hard to kill it in favor of another console that will bring losses at first,i think investors are happy now with the xbox brand,even that it hasn't get back this gen what it loss on the start of it,but they are close to erase to losses and actually get something out of those 4 billions they loss last gen,sadly the more MS make on the xbox by the wrong way,(aka live subscription,over priced peripherals,over priced DLC,) the more they take out of peoples pockets.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SecretPolice

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

The Story.

---

tormentos

MS the best are you high.? What abandoning their core base in favor of casuals,abandoning games in favor of apps that are on PC,smart phones and tables free,but hiding them behind a pay scheme.? The best making unreliable hardware that leave millions of gamers without consoles for weeks,months and in cases of those out of warranty without a console period. The best rising prices of games by $10 this generation,the best selling over priced peripherals,the best making you pay even more for something that was already to expensive.? Hell they have not done a price drop in ages,and have stagnated the price of its console,selling over priced because they are now in a good position and as we all know,if you are selling well you can't lower the price right.? MS has done so many wrong things this generation,that i don't even know how people still buy their console,$300 + 60 for live to get bombarded with ads,and get apps which are free even on cell phones. When it comes to value,and for a few years now games MS has been horrible.

As a kite mah friend. :o :twisted:

Anyhoo, I'm not gonna get into my opinion is better than yours type of thing so suffice to say, 360 is now the top selling console worldwide, had the highest scoring exclusive last year and this year with almost unarguably the hottest exclusive to launch, Halo 4 and we got Forza H coming as well so yeah, best for me.

As far as all the other stuff you're complaining about, I just don't see it that way and in fact think 360 has offered the biggest bang for the buck since Nov, 2005.

Oh, and I did edit the OP before you posted but you had already hit the quote button before the edit went through. :P

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#11 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49576 Posts

Jack is right on this.

Nike_Air

$599. Giant Crab. Massive damage. All coming to mind. lol

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

The Story.

---

tormentos

oh noes, people have different opinions then me, drugs are the only explanation for this:cry:

HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#13 HaloPimp978
Member since 2005 • 7329 Posts

Just don't make it 599 again Sony.

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
Jack Tretton says a lot of stupid **** but he makes a good point this time, and looking at the past both the ps1 and 2 weren't the first nor the cheapest but are debated as the best of each of their gens but sony did overprice the ps3 at launch and had a poor first year and it seems like they have learn a lesson about over pricing systems or having tech that needed to be over priced.
PillyChickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PillyChickle
Member since 2011 • 745 Posts

"We've never been first. We've never been cheapest. It's about being the best," he said. "If you can build a better machine and it's going to come out a little bit later, that's better than rushing something to market that's going to run out of gas for the long term."

Jack Tretton

That worked really well for Sony this generation.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

I agree with the we've never been first. It's for good reason.

I mean MS rushed the 360 out. They lost a billion dollars on RROD. I mean did anyone test dat Sh!ite

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
I mean did anyone test dat Sh!iteAnimal-Mother
Sony doesn't exactly have the best track record either you know. :P
Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

What he said is true... Well being the first to release a next-gen console which happens to be the cheapest, most reliable, technically with the best hardware and has 20+ exclusive titles available at launch would be perfect... Also we know Sony never was 1st to release or cheapest...

With PS3, Sony did a couple of bad mistakes with having their console launch at a very high price-tag, with not the best line-up of launch titles... I dont even see it as a bad thing releasing your console a year after competition, cause lets be honest should the PS3 been launched at a price of $399 + having titles like MGS4, GOW3, Uncharted available at launch it would have done a huge difference in how they performed saleswise..

Lets just hope they wont repeat the same mistakes but currently they really need to focus on PSV and make sure the give it more support and attract more 3rd party devs since its an amazing handheld, just needs more killer titles to attract gamers..

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"]

I mean MS rushed the 360 out. They lost a billion dollars on RROD. I mean did anyone test dat Sh!ite

In the long haul the strategy worked though. MS has churned out a profit on the 360 (you can argue about the methods all you want) whereas Sony has lost their ass on the PS3.
tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 tormentos
As a kite mah friend. :o :twisted:Anyhoo, I'm not gonna get into my opinion is better than yours type of thing so suffice to say, 360 is now the top selling console worldwide, had the highest scoring exclusive last year and this year with almost unarguably the hottest exclusive to launch, Halo 4 and we got Forza H coming as well so yeah, best for me.As far as all the other stuff you're complaining about, I just don't see it that way and in fact think 360 has offered the biggest bang for the buck since Nov, 2005.Oh, and I did edit the OP before you posted but you had already hit the quote button before the edit went through. :PSecretPolice
Yeah and the wii was the top seller for 5 years,how great was that the best games were not on it,sales don't reflect quality. High scoring exclusive last year i hope you don't mean gear of war 3 and here.. You got halo you got forza you got the same crap over and over again,the only thing missing in your argument there is actually call of duty black ops 2 and you would sound exactly like a true PR guy from MS. The xbox has nothing even sites flamed how bad they looked this year,if i want facebook,netflix,and all that crap i have a PC for it,hell even my cell phone apps by the ton,and they are free,MS abandoned you and the core fans,and while sony keep pumping impressive new IP,MS give you Internet Explorer...hahaha so now after 7 years you can browse a page online after 7 years,but hey look at what MS was saying just 2 years ago about browsing the web on tv. We really believe that the web browsing experience on TV is a poor one," said Microsoft's Xbox group product manager Aaron Greenberg, "and the real magic is to take those web experiences and optimise them for the living room. That's what we did with Netflix. http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/703591/microsoft-xbox-360-isnt-getting-a-web-browser/ This is why there is a facebook app on 360,i wonder what would change MS heart on this subject.
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts
[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"]I mean did anyone test dat Sh!iteStevo_the_gamer
Sony doesn't exactly have the best track record either you know. :P

I never said they did. :P But as far as this gen goes it's been pretty gravy. Last gen was a mess for them though.
Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Blake135
Member since 2008 • 3994 Posts

Never know if Secret, or Stevo or trolling or serious:?

Anyway a interesting read I rather not see Sony go under they have provided me (In the Past) hours of entertainment and good memories in my younger years.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts
Well, IMHOSecretPolice
tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 tormentos
oh noes, people have different opinions then me, drugs are the only explanation for this:cry:rilpas
Is not about his opinion which is as valid as mine,is about how horrible MS has been even more lately,and how they basically abandon games,they even use Call of Duty as if the game was a damn exclusive lol.. The best thing MS does is get the most out of 360 fans,but some how that is great is some people eyes,so a $600 PS3 was to high on 2006,but now a $360 xbox 360 with live is ok,now on 2012,when the $600 PS3 is $249 with online free,oh and the PS3 is a blu-ray player,something the 360 is not. When you see things like this and ignore it,well lets say that the person is actually in the same level as crazy as apple fans,that would pay anything for something as long as it has an apple,and will defend apple bad practices at broken back.
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

When you see things like this and ignore it,well lets say that the person has actually in the same level as crazy as apple fans,that would pay anything for something as long as it has an apple,and will defend apple bad practices at broken back.tormentos
Always entertaining to see a Sony drone take aim at other fanboys and thinks (s)he's above them. :lol:

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts

[QUOTE="rilpas"]oh noes, people have different opinions then me, drugs are the only explanation for this:cry:tormentos
Is not about his opinion which is as valid as mine,is about how horrible MS has been even more lately,and how they basically abandon games,they even use Call of Duty as if the game was a damn exclusive lol.. The best thing MS does is get the most out of 360 fans,but some how that is great is some people eyes,so a $600 PS3 was to high on 2006,but now a $360 xbox 360 with live is ok,now on 2012,when the $600 PS3 is $249 with online free,oh and the PS3 is a blu-ray player,something the 360 is not. When you see things like this and ignore it,well lets say that the person has actually in the same level as crazy as apple fans,that would pay anything for something as long as it has an apple,and will defend apple bad practices at broken back.

I'm not defending Microsoft, I'm just saying, if people prefer the 360 good for them, I can see why someone would prefer the 360.

I still feel like a lot of PS3 exclusives are pretty overrated

lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lx_theo
Member since 2010 • 6211 Posts

[QUOTE="Nike_Air"]

Jack is right on this.

Stevo_the_gamer

They're not stupid enough to do THAT again. No one is. Though only a lem would interpret best console on market as that again...
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SecretPolice

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]As a kite mah friend. :o :twisted:Anyhoo, I'm not gonna get into my opinion is better than yours type of thing so suffice to say, 360 is now the top selling console worldwide, had the highest scoring exclusive last year and this year with almost unarguably the hottest exclusive to launch, Halo 4 and we got Forza H coming as well so yeah, best for me.As far as all the other stuff you're complaining about, I just don't see it that way and in fact think 360 has offered the biggest bang for the buck since Nov, 2005.Oh, and I did edit the OP before you posted but you had already hit the quote button before the edit went through. :Ptormentos
Yeah and the wii was the top seller for 5 years,how great was that the best games were not on it,sales don't reflect quality. High scoring exclusive last year i hope you don't mean gear of war 3 and here.. You got halo you got forza you got the same crap over and over again,the only thing missing in your argument there is actually call of duty black ops 2 and you would sound exactly like a true PR guy from MS. The xbox has nothing even sites flamed how bad they looked this year,if i want facebook,netflix,and all that crap i have a PC for it,hell even my cell phone apps by the ton,and they are free,MS abandoned you and the core fans,and while sony keep pumping impressive new IP,MS give you Internet Explorer...hahaha so now after 7 years you can browse a page online after 7 years,but hey look at what MS was saying just 2 years ago about browsing the web on tv. We really believe that the web browsing experience on TV is a poor one," said Microsoft's Xbox group product manager Aaron Greenberg, "and the real magic is to take those web experiences and optimise them for the living room. That's what we did with Netflix. http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/703591/microsoft-xbox-360-isnt-getting-a-web-browser/ This is why there is a facebook app on 360,i wonder what would change MS heart on this subject.

yikes, off on a tangent mah friend since I shared my views about MS E3 this year and hint, I don't need all that shat for my gaming console and think it was mostly pointless for me. :?

At least they should have confirmed some saweet Rare games in the works for next gen. :D

Sony's E3 sucked as well and PS3 has some of the same useless features for the 95 % of us with PC's so just sayin..

Anyway, the news here is about Sony and PS4 which I think you should and would want to focus and talk about rather than just bashing MS & 360. :P

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
worth watching this video http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2012-sony/731533 senior vp has some interesting things to say... he DOES say that there ARE ps4 titles under development
tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 tormentos

[QUOTE="tormentos"]When you see things like this and ignore it,well lets say that the person has actually in the same level as crazy as apple fans,that would pay anything for something as long as it has an apple,and will defend apple bad practices at broken back.Stevo_the_gamer

Always entertaining to see a Sony drone take aim at other fanboys and thinks (s)he's above them. :lol:

Well at least i know when the company i support want to screw me,is the reason i don't own a Vita,no open memory card system,proprietary crap no thanks,is the same if sony try to charge me for online play,i would say no period. Now unlike some of you i know when to say no to when a company is been abusive or greedy,can you have you or him for that matter.
blacktorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 blacktorn
Member since 2004 • 8299 Posts
I don't agree at all with what he said,i mean the xbox launch 1 year earlier and was $100 than the base model ps3 yet the games for a good 2-3 years looked and just ran better on the 360,so yeah the ps3 came out later and was more powerful but that difference we are only seeing now,so how can someone justify saying yeah it was right for me to pay more for the ps3 6 years ago because now there are aload of great exclusive ps3 games that do look better than 360 games (although not a world of difference). If sony can release the ps4 for example again a year later than microsoft's next xbox due to launch next holiday season BUT it actually has a noticeable improvement over what microsoft's console does and is evident from the launch of the system then yeah it will be worth waiting an extra year so sony can have the better system. But if they are going to have a more complicated system that is more powerful but we won't notice that until many years down the road then i don't think it's worth making that same mistake twice,however if sony don't do that then what will distinguish them from microsoft?
ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#32 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

Just watched it on Youtube: Sony - E3 2012: Jack Tretton All Access Live Interview

Great interview, really puts forward Sony's strategy. Which is always about the gamers, he even compliment Nintendo in a way and says more choice is good for gamers which is good for him.

Sony won't release an over priced console, they will not make that mistake again, however it seems to be that they are not worried about MS at all, instead they are just focused on making a very powerful system that will outshine the competition (kind of like this gen, just look at the exclusives).

So if they decide to launch later, they will have more time to make it more powerful and launch it at a good affordable price. They could make the 720 look like it's a Wii compared to the PS4.

They just show off some really powerful games, people go "oh that is way better than anything on 720" and the 720 get's forgotten about. That's how Sony killed the Dream Cast. But I don't want them to kill Xbox, more competition is always a good thing.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
If Sony keeps on going with that large first party development tactic like now next-generation, I'm getting a PS4.
CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts

Animal-Mother
http://www.gamespot.com/news/sony-settles-ps2-class-action-suit-6139482
Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts
[QUOTE="blacktorn"]I don't agree at all with what he said,i mean the xbox launch 1 year earlier and was $100 than the base model ps3 yet the games for a good 2-3 years looked and just ran better on the 360,so yeah the ps3 came out later and was more powerful but that difference we are only seeing now,so how can someone justify saying yeah it was right for me to pay more for the ps3 6 years ago because now there are aload of great exclusive ps3 games that do look better than 360 games (although not a world of difference). If sony can release the ps4 for example again a year later than microsoft's next xbox due to launch next holiday season BUT it actually has a noticeable improvement over what microsoft's console does and is evident from the launch of the system then yeah it will be worth waiting an extra year so sony can have the better system. But if they are going to have a more complicated system that is more powerful but we won't notice that until many years down the road then i don't think it's worth making that same mistake twice,however if sony don't do that then what will distinguish them from microsoft?

Agreed. You buy the ps3 at the end of the cycle when the games actually get to use 'da powa' of the console and not buy it at the star. Instead get a 360 at the start for cheaper than a ps3 with games that performed and looked better. Same will happen next generation, I suspect the two consoles will be very close in power, and i'll get whichever has the better game lineup/quality looking games at the start.
BadNewsBen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BadNewsBen
Member since 2009 • 1493 Posts
I think the best case scenario for us gamers, is to get a few quality options for next gen. We already know Nintendo will be doing something different with the Wii U. I'd love for Sony to put out a really quality system that diverges from what Microsoft and Nintendo do. I'd much rather have them take their time and do it right then to rush it out.
Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts
Uh cost, and release time very much come into effecting how good a product is. If you make a £1000 product that is slightly better than a £10 product then that is not making the best product possible. I understand what he is trying to say, but it's kind of bulls***
Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

If they launch last again with a high price tag, than its safe to say Sony is run by a bunch of mentally disabled children.

mysticstryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mysticstryk
Member since 2008 • 1709 Posts

It is stupid business decisions like this that is the reason Playstation is not the brand it once was. Sony will lose even more marketshare next gen if they keep this philosophy.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Sony's hardware was never the best, true...

Even in handheld terms they got surpassed by some other portable devices.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
Maybe they should try being first and the cheapest? :P
Evz0rz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Evz0rz
Member since 2006 • 4624 Posts

[QUOTE="Nike_Air"]

Jack is right on this.

Stevo_the_gamer

'The PS3 will teach you discipline.'
tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 tormentos
[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"]

CanYouDiglt
http://www.gamespot.com/news/sony-settles-ps2-class-action-suit-6139482

You know what the sad par is that the original xbox,the current xbox 360 and the PS3 all suffer from DRE,the difference is that unlike the PS2,nor the 360,original xbox or PS3 has sold even close to how the PS2 did,not all PS2 failed and the fail rate wasn't even close to the RROD,which was quite big even on a smaller user base,considering that by the time they actually controlled or lower the problems they had like what 20 million sold or less.? The PS2 by 2005 already had 100 million sold that is 33 million more units than what the 360 has on the 7 years it has on the market,by 2010 the 360 had like what 50 or less.? Hell you did not read that sony loss 1 billion repairing PS2.
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#44 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

That is the best goal I've ever heard, to make the best system possible for games, not just the best looking or best selling or cheapest.

Hopefully this isn't some way of telling us that it will be $699 at launch.

Voyant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Voyant
Member since 2006 • 513 Posts
We might hear about it next E3...MIGHT....but its not coming out for t least 3-4 years. by the time then Wii U...if it doesn't suck...will have too much of a head start... Sony is just doing what they did with the PS3 when they announced it. Remember those promises for 4D Graphics at launch? Did you get them? Don't let Sony do that to you guys again...its not cool.
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

tretton to world: i will give anyone $1,200 if they can find someone who knows how to run a multinational video game company!

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
All I know is I am not even willing to buy a new system (other than building a new PC) until 2015 and only if it is $300 or less. Even then, only if they don't charge for online and don't try to fight used game sells with things like online pass. If no console meets those demands, then no console will be purchased by me and I will focus only on PC.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#48 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

PS4 better come in 2013, or else...

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"]

blue_hazy_basic

In the long haul the strategy worked though. MS has churned out a profit on the 360 (you can argue about the methods all you want) whereas Sony has lost their ass on the PS3.

As a gamer, how did that help you?

G-O-M-J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 G-O-M-J
Member since 2009 • 1520 Posts
Every Playstation has been the best console imo.. In 06-07 i would have chosen the 360 over Ps3, but now Sony are back on form and there's no stopping them. Next gen i will be supporting Playstation and Wii U, Microsoft can stick their console where the sun dont shine.