Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo - Who made Gaming better?

• 73 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By FreedomFreeLife

Poll Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo - Who made Gaming better? (100 votes)

Nintendo helped Video game Industrys in 1985 42%
Nintendo Wii - Motion Gaming 1%
Valve - Steam - Saved PC gaming 6%
Sony E3 2013 - Saved from DRM 8%
Playstation 1 and Playstation 2 - Console Gaming 23%
Sony - Technology push 8%
Microsoft - Online Gaming 12%

Nintendo 1985 Video game crash:

+ They helped Video game Industry back on their legs

- Gaming wouldn't ever die off. Someone else would pushed video game Industry.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nintendo Wii

+ Made motion gaming big. Now we have so many motion games.

- Motion gaming would just came later.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Valve - Steam

+ This saved PC gaming and made PC community alive.

- We would have less community, mods and games but would this killed PC gaming?

Sony E3 2013

+ Sony saved gaming from DRM and Always Online

- Would this ruined gaming? We don´t know. Maybe.

Sony - Playstation 1 and Playstation 2(Console Gaming)

+ They made console gaming what it is right now. They made console gaming so big.

- If we had no PS1 and PS2 then we would have something else instead?

Sony - Technology push

+ Blu-Ray(50GB games), 3D gaming

- We would have DVD but would this matter?

Microsoft - Online Gaming

+ Matchmaking system, Digital Distribution, A True Entertainment Hub, Achievements, Party chat

- We would have those things on console but much later.

Helped video game Indstry, Motion Gaming, Saved PC gaming, Saved from DRM, Console Gaming, Technology push or Online gaming is most important you???

TAKE 1 PICK!!!

• 
Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1 Jacobistheman
Member since 2007 • 3975 Posts

We were "saved from DRM" because of Sony. I have to get up off my couch to change games out now because of Sony and we won't see steam like sales on consoles because of Sony. I can't access my whole game library on any console I am play on because of Sony. I can't lend games to friends and family because of Sony.

Online DRM (as opposed to disk based like consoles have now) is great, ask anyone who uses Steam will agree (and the Xbox One DRM was more relaxed than steam)

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

Sony on par with nintendo.

Nintendo revived the industry.

Sony made gaming "cool", popular with PS1 and PS2. And they saved gaming from DRM this year.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

I'd say the Playstation 1.

That sucker put Nintendo in a rock and a hard place. A spot Nintendo has yet to recover from.

j_assassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 j_assassin
Member since 2012 • 1011 Posts

Playstation made everyone a gamer, even when the ps1 and 2 were selling millions, they did not stop giving the kind of games we wanted, m$ on the other hand is the cancer of gaming industry, but they can redeem themselves if they continue to bring out quality new ips and exclusive with x1, I couldnt care less about the other stuff

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#5  Edited By KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

PS1. I used to be a bored little SNES gamer. I wasn't into all the super mario, donkey kong stuff... PS1 saved me with MGS1, Resident Evil, Syphon Filter, Dino Crisis, GT, FF... way better games. It was like if Sony made the industry grow up lol

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FreedomFreeLife
Member since 2013 • 3948 Posts

In short...

Nintendo - memories... no games

Sony - Single player

Microsoft - Multiplayer

Valve - PC(both) mostly multiplayer and CO-OP

mjf249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#7 mjf249
Member since 2004 • 3000 Posts

It's hard because Nintendo, and Sony both made huge contributions to gaming, so has Microsoft. If I would pick, I would have to say Sony. They really made gaming cool, I was so blown away by the PlayStation when it first came out. There was a more "wow" factor with the original PS, they contributed heavily to the growth of the industry as well.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17663 Posts

I would tend towards Nintendo if we're talking solely games, ancillary would go to MS and Sony easily.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#9  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19570 Posts

Nintendo, hands down. Their contributions to the video game industry are much larger than both Sony and Microsoft combined...

Nintendo revolutionized gaming over the past few decades, from Donkey Kong's platformer gameplay, to the NES's D-pad, to Super Mario Bros' side-scrolling platformer gameplay and Legend of Zelda's action-adventure gameplay, to the Game Boy's popularization of handheld gaming, to the SNES and its shoulder buttons, to the N64's analog stick and Mario 64's revolutionary 3D game design, to GoldenEye and Ocarina of Time taking big steps forward for their respective genres, to the GameCube's Wavebird wireless controller, to the DS's touch-screen controls and Wii's motion controls which expanded the market.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Overall?

1. Nintendo

2. SEGA

3. Sony

In that order.

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

They have all made significant contributions, Right now Sony and Microsoft are the most important but i still like Nintendo, even though they piss me off sometimes.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

Where is the option for all three?

widdowson91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 149

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By widdowson91
Member since 2008 • 1249 Posts

Nintendo because, since the 80's, all subsequent evolutions the industry has made has been made thanks to Nintendo. Without Nintendo the console market would have remained dead, and they were ultimately responsible for the creation of the PlayStation also.

widdowson91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 149

User Lists: 7

#14 widdowson91
Member since 2008 • 1249 Posts

@Jacobistheman:

@Jacobistheman said:

We were "saved from DRM" because of Sony. I have to get up off my couch to change games out now because of Sony and we won't see steam like sales on consoles because of Sony. I can't access my whole game library on any console I am play on because of Sony. I can't lend games to friends and family because of Sony.

Online DRM (as opposed to disk based like consoles have now) is great, ask anyone who uses Steam will agree (and the Xbox One DRM was more relaxed than steam)

Sony never 'saved' us from DRM, mainly because if DRM was to start dominating consoles it would have taken more than Microsoft to do it. Nintendo never made any attempt to enforce DRM either. Sony just said what we wanted to hear and it worked out well for them.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178850 Posts

@Jacobistheman said:

This is sad....even for SW.

helwa1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 helwa1988
Member since 2007 • 2157 Posts

Nintendo gave the gaming industry life. Before they came along the gaming industry was getting out of control with the saturation of terrible games and how anyone could develop a game for a console without the console company approval.

Nintendo brought quality control.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

I think Nintendo and Sony are on pretty equal footing. Nintendo saved the industry from the crash in the 80's. Sony expanded the market exponentially in the 90's. XBox can go home now. Steambox will be a million times better for gaming than anything MS could come up with.

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

Nintendo 1985 Video game crash:

+ They helped Video game Industry back on their legs

---------------------------------------------------

Ummm you do know that the video game industry never crashed right? Of course you don't, your a typical American who doesn't know actual fact and just repeats what other americans tell you to without a single bit of thought or research on the actual truth.

The video game industry never crashed. Atari took over gaming in America and then ruined itself, meanwhile in the rest of the world video games were thriving and growing all the time. Atari was Americas only real source for gaming for a short while was atari because the industry was still new. But in the rest of the world there was gaming also and it never failed. So in the grand scheme of things Americas "game industry crash" in the sense of the world only effected about 10% of gaming as a whole and it was localized to America only.

But that's a typical American, they think because something happened to them that it happened everywhere else also as if America is the center of the universe and only they matter.

conkertheking1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By conkertheking1
Member since 2009 • 876 Posts

@FreedomFreeLife said:

In short...

Nintendo - memories... no games

Sony - Single player

Microsoft - Multiplayer

Valve - PC(both) mostly multiplayer and CO-OP

Nintendo memories... no games? Are you saying the NES had NO GAMES???

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

@Gargus: Balls thanks Gamespot for deleting my post >:(

Anyway I agree with Gargus, not retyping everything, but the gaming "crash" and resurection by Nintendo is a complete fallacy.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#22 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Nintendo by far, they saved the industry and made it what it's today. Sony did a lot with PS2 and the recent DRM and used games. So i would say those two

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

It's hard to pick any of them since I don't think any of them single-handedly "made" gaming better given much of the credit goes to the devs who made games on them.

As far as how I feel about them.

Nintendo was at their peak when they had Sega to compete with. I like that Nintendo still keeps their same methodologies today, but they slack big time.

Microsoft helped bring a lot of the good of PC gaming to consoles, and I've thoroughly enjoyed Xbox.

Sony I can't really think of doing anything other than making a popular product.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

They all had some decent contributions and anyone that can't see this needs to **** off.

Merry Christmas.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

Sony for the PS1 and PS2.

RealJaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26 RealJaysonguy
Member since 2013 • 236 Posts

@Jacobistheman: we can't do any of those things because Microsoft's marketing team royally screwed the pooch on properly explaining all of those awesome features. It's true Sony pounced on that, but it would have never happened had Microsoft competently explain their new system to gamers.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#27  Edited By speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14417 Posts

Microsoft gave us microtranasactions in $60 games, online fees, day one dlc, and lots of shooters.

Sony, on the other hand, continues to provide gamers with world class, barn bursting exclusives and for $50/year, great online service that gets you access to many incredible games at no extra charge.

Nintendo rehashes the same games over and over. LOL

John_Matherson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28  Edited By John_Matherson
Member since 2013 • 2085 Posts

Sony is the only thing saving core and regular and standard gaming from stupid trends, gimmicks, and capitalism. THANK YOU SONY.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

all 3 have done somehting over the years to make gaming better. If i had to rate it i'd say MS, nintendo, Sony

MS gave us internal storage, PC architecture and graphics, Online gaming network

Sony gave us Disc based systems, dual analog thumbsticks

Nintendo gave us console gaming as a big thing

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BeardMaster
Member since 2012 • 1686 Posts

MS, xbox live is what peeled me away from PC gaming and made consoles a viable alternative in my opinion.

If not for that, i would still be doing 95% of my gaming on PC save for some occasional couch coop.

If not for nintendos divergence into the casual market I think they would have been the obvious answer.

Sony has always offered a strong competitive product but never made any big game changing contributions to the industry.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

@Jacobistheman: You made yourself sound very lazy. Also, there's nothing stopping you from buying digital versions of any of the games if getting off the couch really is that big an issue for you.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

What shitty options.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

Nintendo made gaming

Sony took it to the next level

M$ almost fucked it up

StriateEnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 StriateEnd
Member since 2013 • 521 Posts

All four of them put together minus everything MS has done mid way through the 360s lifecycle up to this day.

Seriously, MS is a dog that needs to be put down. They haven't done anything good in a while now. Windows 8/8.1, XBONE, Surface, the new ms office is more complicated than it needs to be, that shitty ipod wannabe, kinect, halo 4 etc etc etc.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts

Nintendo never really contributed outside of being popular. Unless you still believe in fairy tales of them having the magic power to save the world.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Jakandsigz

@The_Last_Ride said:

Nintendo by far, they saved the industry and made it what it's today.

People still believe in magic?

StriateEnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 StriateEnd
Member since 2013 • 521 Posts

@Jakandsigz said:

Nintendo never really contributed outside of being popular. Unless you still believe in fairy tales of them having the magic power to save the world.

This makes no sense.

They are keeping traditional handheld gaming alive. Without nintendo we'd all be playing fuking candy crush and temple run on long train journeys instead of pokemon, super mario and legend of zelda.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#38 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

clearly microsoft.

they have driven online for consoles. best thing ever. sony still playing catch up and Nintendo still don't understand how internet works

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Jakandsigz

@StriateEnd said:

@Jakandsigz said:

This makes no sense.

They are keeping traditional handheld gaming alive. Without nintendo we'd all be playing fuking candy crush and temple run on long train journeys instead of pokemon, super mario and legend of zelda.

Pretty sure the other competitors would have took their place.

Personally Sony's decision on the Vita was based on the fact that the PSP lost steam outside of japan after the first 4-5 years. It's why the thing is clunky, why they changed everything, why they have mandatory shit, why they use cards and have no BC, or even at least, converting UMD to a DD format to play on Vita.

If PSP continued we would probably see a better system than the VITA. 3DS games with some exceptions are not that far off from IOS etc games anyway. I know there were tons of those types of games taking up around over 50% of the original DS library.

Plus from your post, you act like Nintendos winning, it already lost, it's just trying to capture the DS fanbase. It's not going to get all of them.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#40  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44577 Posts

how did Sony save gamers from DRM, they have one of the most restrictive DRM measure that allow for only allow downloads to two units now?

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Jakandsigz

@k2theswiss said:

clearly microsoft.

they have driven online for consoles. best thing ever. sony still playing catch up and Nintendo still don't understand how internet works

The Wii U's internet is better than most devices that have a browser.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Jakandsigz

On topic, all 3 really have not done much. Other than be popular and get "X' number of games.

Sure, microsoft pushed the online on consoles and changed the ecosystem so that PC games would finally be able to be put on a console, which failed almost every time before. As well as having world wide multiplayer and tons of extras and downloads for a nice service. but even then there most important was clearly bringing almost all types of games together and breaking the PC/Console power line so that at a time consoles were stronger in most areas, and are still not that far behind, especially for the average consumer who wants to game on a LT or PC.

And that's probably the only thing I can think of. I mean sure, Sony offered the first Double Digit multimedia cosoles that sold over 10 million with the PS2 (before even the Xbox sold 10 million) so in a way that is a very big achievement.

So that's two.

What else is there? Nothing else really happened unless you believe in magic. Most big contributions were to the PC and passed on to consoles. Or losing consoles that did not make a big market splash but inspired everyone else. The mainstream companies of today have really not done much in terms of impactual contributions with 100% benefit.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

@Jakandsigz said:

You do realise that most modern developers site Nintendo as inspiration for their work? That in itself is a huge contribution to game design. I could go on, but this is the most overlooked contribution.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

how did Sony save gamers from DRM, they have one of the most restrictive DRM measure that allow for only allow downloads to two units now?

People throw around the term DRM way too loosely... EVERY form of digital media has and has always had DRM to some extent. Sony saved gamers from not allowing used games

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Jakandsigz

@trugs26 said:

@Jakandsigz said:

You do realise that most modern developers site Nintendo as inspiration for their work? That in itself is a huge contribution to game design. I could go on, but this is the most overlooked contribution.

A lot of them years later did usually when Nintendo Hardware is doing poorly, but either way that still does not mean anything, i don't count inspirations for Data Easts, Capcoms, Sega, etc. work. or no one else really. I mean you act like that contribution is exclusive to Nintendo.

Also "most" is a random assumption.

@wiifan001 said:

As much as the Wii being the greatest video game platform in all of history, the NES saving the gaming industry in 1985 is the most significant achievement of Nintendo's history

The NES did not even come out over the U.S. until 1986. Which by then the gaming industry was already saved from OTHER CONSOLES before the NES, and the fact that the 7800 and SMS, mostly the former, sold with the NES equally (even with articles saying they sold out and NES's were still on the shelves) makes you magic puffy smoke go visshhh.

It's all a well written fairy tale that is still having an issue being a very big belief. The fairy tale writers did a good job. At least the Atari started gaming consoles thing is dead now.

Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Jacobistheman
Member since 2007 • 3975 Posts
@LJS9502_basic said:

@Jacobistheman said:

@Telekill said:

@Jacobistheman: You made yourself sound very lazy. Also, there's nothing stopping you from buying digital versions of any of the games if getting off the couch really is that big an issue for you.

I am sure that I do more physical activity and exercise more than than either of you and probably most of the people on here (I commute on my bike either 25 or 50 miles a day, ski about 30 times a year, hike a few times a month (during summer), and lift on a semi-regular basis)

I own the majority of my games on the 360 and my PC digitally, but with the massive games that blu-ray allows on the PS4, Xbox One and PS3 can take a long time to download without very fast internet and it is nice to have a disk for data distribution, but that not the point. There is no reason in 2013 that we should ever have to use a disk--that can get scratched or destroyed--for a license key. Having online DRM opens up so many more possibilities. Sure Microsoft didn't do a good job of marketing those possibilities, but it was the superior system. We were not "saved" from it, we were robbed of it because people are scared of change and Sony capitalized on that.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#48 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Nice poll choices, I had a hard time choosing between these 3:

-Nintendo : I grew up on their games in the 1980's, after getting introduced to gaming via my Atari 2600.

-Sony(PS1 & PS2): They are widely known for pushing gaming into the mainstream with the PS1, this continued to some extent with the PS2 I guess. Also, one of my favorite games ever(Castlevania SoTN) was an unforgettable PS1 experience for me.

-Microsoft: They took the very horrible online gaming beginnings(for me that was online gaming on the PS2.....that's when I started getting jealous of my Xbox friends who had Halo), and made it into something enjoyable, and even competitive depending on the game(Halo). On top of all that, you could actually voice chat pretty clearly with others, and strategize.....at the time, this was revolutionary for me and a massive step forward for gaming in general.

In the end, I chose Nintendo, because they were there before Sony and Microsoft, and had I not been exposed to their games early on, I might not even be a gamer today. I cannot forget the incredible experiences I had with some Mario, Zelda, and Metroid games, and I think a lot of games that came later on from MS and Sony were probably inspired in some way or another by Nintendo.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Jakandsigz

@Jacobistheman said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

@Jacobistheman said:

@Telekill said:

I am sure that I do more physical activity and exercise more than than either of you and probably most of the people on here (I commute on my bike either 25 or 50 miles a day, ski about 30 times a year, hike a few times a month (during summer), and lift on a semi-regular basis)

But do you even lift? Also, when will you start the PS4 montage?

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

Nintendo saved the industry from the '85 video game crash and the NES and SNEs were great consoles so I give them some credit.

Sony however made gaming cool with the PS1 and PS2. If it wasn't for them I would have stopped console gaming by now because I was getting tired of Mario games from Nintendo in the mid 90s and SEGW died in 2001 more or less. They then went further and saved us in 2013 from casual crap hardware (WiiU) and DRM (Xbone). Overall I would say Sony has done the most for modern day gaming ever since Nintendo lost themselves after the SNES.

MS is the cancer of the industry, they made DLC popular, paying to play online and shitty DRm. Only positive thing they brought was making online gaming popular in consoles. DC and PC already had online long before XBox.