Sony is increasing YEARLY PS+ sub prices : 20$ more for Essential, 35$ for Extra and 40$ more for Premium

• 184 results
Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#151 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6326 Posts

When you think about it Sony are pretty smart, announce it around the release of Starfield and most cows will be too busy trying to damage control Starfield on social media that this announcement gets lost in the wash up. And if you look at just SW, Starfield's thread is nearly 900 pages long.

Mission complete Sony.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#152 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13668 Posts

@hardwenzen said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

Have Sony backed down yet?

Didn’t MS back down fairly quickly? And we’re still never hear the end of it.

MS increased the price by 100%. Imagine being this dumb, especially coming from the Xbone days.

Yeah... But MS backed down very quickly. :-S

Sony are properly bending over their fans and putting a PS branded ball gags in their mouths... So I was just asking if they had backed down yet?

Was raising the price of games this gen not enough?

I mean Sony REALLY rewards the fans for their success don't they.

So an expensive console, expensive games, now the cherry on top, expensive subscriptions.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#153 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69894 Posts

@HalcyonScarlet: Why pay less when you can pay more?

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#154 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9408 Posts

Sony needs a MP Online Only tier.

You're telling me I gotta pay $10 if I just want to play Demon's Souls Remake online for a month?

That's just rude. I have no need for any of the other included crap.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 Pedro  Online

@pyro1245 said:

You're telling me I gotta pay $10 if I just want to play Demon's Souls Remake online for a month?

Paying to play online needs to die. It is just silly now.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#156  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9408 Posts

@Pedro: 100%

Sony gets a 30% cut of sales from their store just like all the other major players. The argument that they need to charge to cover cost for the services is nothing but big corpo bootlicking. They don't even host the game servers, just the PSN authentication servers (and if they didn't require a PSN account to play online they wouldn't need to).

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1886 Posts

Sony is off their rocker this generation. I'm so glad I jumped off the Sony bandwagon after the PS4. I'm just going to be chilling on my PC and Switch for this generation. In future generations, I'm locked into PC and Switch. Sony can keep milking their cows for all I care.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#158 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44331 Posts

This really sucks because I don’t want Microsoft and Nintendo to follow suit but they sure as hell are going to. Cows too worried about Starfield though. Very sad. 😔

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By LuxuryHeart

@uitravioience said:

What a stupid thing to do. With all the acquisitions Microsoft has been doing, now is not the time to raise prices on the subscriptions, Sony. I don't know if this is a Jim Ryan call but if it is then it's time for him to gtfo.

It's just Sony milking their cows and Jim Ryan being oily. I'm just happy that I didn't lock into the PS5 for this gen. Unfortunately, my brother locked into that shit, but I'll let him have it.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 LuxuryHeart

@Ibacai said:

@Pedro: meh, sharing numbers is all performative BS anyways. It’s just PR nonsense (in relation to us customers). But the reality for me is that this price is not worth it.

Who knows, maybe if I see a game I like I’ll do the month sub and then cancel after beating it like I do with GamePass.

I don't think companies sharing numbers should be a bad thing. The movie industry is pretty open about their successful products and their flops. Nintendo is also very open. They even reported the flopping numbers for the Wii U, which is massively respectable.

UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 UItravioIence
Member since 2016 • 3043 Posts

@luxuryheart: pretty much. This is an absolutely stupid move by Sony. I figured they would have walked it back by now but nope.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#162 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

@last_lap said:

When you think about it Sony are pretty smart, announce it around the release of Starfield and most cows will be too busy trying to damage control Starfield on social media that this announcement gets lost in the wash up. And if you look at just SW, Starfield's thread is nearly 900 pages long.

Mission complete Sony.

The bad thing is that would make a backtrack less likely

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By Last_Lap

@super600: If we're being real here. When has Sony's fanbase ever held Sony accountable for anything? Now there was a small blip during the PS3's release, but it still sold around 90 million consoles.

This gen alone they have raised the price of its games, it's consoles (a first for the industry) and now it's subscription services.

And yet there are a few here and there in here calling it BS, and yet post 100 times in the Starfield thread damage controlling that game.

Sony is less a gaming company and more like a cult at this point, in fact its been that way for nearly 2 decades now.

Calling them cows is probably the best name for a fanbase there has ever been, because Sony can milk them dry and they still don't complain.

I'm glad I don't subscribe to any of these services.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3739 Posts

Still cheaper than a $1k mid-range gaming laptop or pc over a 5 year period. Extra and Essential.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7263 Posts

Sony put the prices up when the games they are adding are rubbish quality. Bizarre for it to come out now.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56243 Posts

@pyro1245 said:

If I were a Sony customer only, I would stick to buying CDkeys and only buy PS+ cards when they're on sale. PS+ has been $60 for years and I've never once paid the actual full price for them myself as I rarely if ever play any MP on PS4/5. I'll continue to do just that but lucky enough, I only use my PS5 just to play SP exclusives.

And this is why I love PC gaming😎

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#167  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22794 Posts

Going to steam deck and canceling all my subs was the most liberating experience of my gaming year. Nothing was lost whatsoever.

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115430 Posts

They announce this right as I was planning to get a console finally, I guess this is the thing that will keep me away.
Not sure why they think this is a good move, this totally feels like something EA would try to pull off if they had a successful thing like this lol. I really hope they back down before this goes live or they are going to lose a lot of people on the service.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#169  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39270 Posts
@kitty said:

They announce this right as I was planning to get a console finally, I guess this is the thing that will keep me away.

Not sure why they think this is a good move, this totally feels like something EA would try to pull off if they had a successful thing like this lol. I really hope they back down before this goes live or they are going to lose a lot of people on the service.

If you own a pc, why would you bother playing multiplayer on the ps5? And its not like there's any multiplayer exclusives either. Unless you play everything on one console, the price of a sub service shouldn't be a reason to skip a ps5.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46466 Posts

@kitty said:

Some good news to come out of this.

It's way better to focus on PC gaming. And complement that with a retro device or older consoles that don't rely on online passes to access half of your game.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46466 Posts
@TheEroica said:

Going to steam deck and canceling all my subs was the most liberating experience of my gaming year. Nothing was lost whatsoever.

Steam deck plus high end PC gaming ftw.

Steam deck for all my older games. If you are looking for a recommendation to play on the SD, I sugges looking into Binary Domain, it's a whole heap of fun.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 Last_Lap

@TheEroica said:

Cancelling subs is a good idea, playing on a Steam deck with crappy battery life and a small screen is gaming in reverse.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23944 Posts

Post COVID inflation strikes again.

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts

@luxuryheart: using the movie industry here is not helping your argument. “Hollywood Accounting” is known for a million scummy practices.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#175 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26105 Posts

@last_lap: I’d argue playing in bed with a personal screen that doesn’t take up the living room for something else is a pretty good thing to have.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22794 Posts

@last_lap said:
@TheEroica said:

Cancelling subs is a good idea, playing on a Steam deck with crappy battery life and a small screen is gaming in reverse.

You haven't booted up God of war, or elden ring on a flight yet or you don't travel much, so I don't doubt you're wondering why the appeal... I actually won't be buying a PS5 or Xbox because their means of gaming is inferior to my lifestyle.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 Pedro  Online

@TheEroica said:

You haven't booted up God of war, or elden ring on a flight yet or you don't travel much, so I don't doubt you're wondering why the appeal... I actually won't be buying a PS5 or Xbox because their means of gaming is inferior to my lifestyle.

This the internet. If you don't enjoy gaming the way I do, then you are doing it wrong.😂

adrian1480

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#178 adrian1480
Member since 2003 • 15033 Posts

I guess that service is dead to me.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By Last_Lap

@TheEroica: I'd it fits your lifestyle then more power to you, I looked into getting one for my son as he wants to play beamng (I think that's right) but they are over a grand here and for the size of the screen and battery life, I just couldn't justify the purchase.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 Last_Lap

@Pedro: This is the internet and if you have a different opinion on something then others will say "if you don't enjoy the way I game you're doing it wrong"

Those people are just looking for attention 🙄

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#181 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

That's messed up I will never shell out 79.99 to play multi-player when my n64 has thar for free and I'd rather pay 50 for switch online or the 60 for xbl

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#182  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

I just saw how much each PS+ tier costs now in Canada and it's not as bad as I expected but it still a bit on the high side. Essential is $94.99+maybe tax depending on which province you live in and premium is $189.99+maybe tax depending on where you live.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#183 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39270 Posts

I saw some people saying that at this price, even the Switch online is a better value. Are people high? Sony's psn might be incredibly overpriced for what you're getting, but the Switch online is like paying to play online on a Sega Dreamcast in 1999🤣The fact the they're charging money, ANY amount, is insulting. So lets not cope to that extent...

adrian1480

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#184 adrian1480
Member since 2003 • 15033 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

I saw some people saying that at this price, even the Switch online is a better value. Are people high? Sony's psn might be incredibly overpriced for what you're getting, but the Switch online is like paying to play online on a Sega Dreamcast in 1999🤣The fact the they're charging money, ANY amount, is insulting. So lets not cope to that extent...

Indeed. In the end, paying for online play should have NEVER become a thing.

TBH, this is the kind of thing that can make my PS5 my last PlayStation product. I already barely use the thing but when I do I expect to play online. If that's going to be more expensive while also being something I rarely enjoy, I mine as well stop buying the products entirely.

My PC is a better gaming experience anyway. Free online, no input device restrictions (I can play my games with whatever controller from whatever brand I want), no framerate restrictions, no resolution restrictions, no strange bespoke storage solutions, no worry about having to rebuy new controllers every new generation just because.

The value proposition and gap between investing in PC and consoles just continues to grow.

If you all don't have a decent gaming PC yet (and you have the resources to be able to afford to build one), then I don't understand what you're doing.

anon_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 anon_fire
Member since 2009 • 63 Posts

Look up the prices for Australia and New Zealand. That right there is insanity.