Sony don't buy exclusives

• 102 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Bullets4Brains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Bullets4Brains
Member since 2007 • 504 Posts

SCEA President: "We don't buy exclusivity."

In a not-very-disguised jab at Microsoft, SCEA President Jack Tretton told PSM in the latest issue:

"We have a very different approach to exclusives than some of our competitors. We don't buy exclusivity. We don't fund development. We don't, for lack of a better term, bribe somebody to only do a game on our platform. We earn it..." :lol::lol::lol:

He went on to say...

"Microsoft is too dependent on the third-party community, :question: and Nintendo is too depended on first-party. We like to feel that we got a pretty good mix." :lol:

Well Sony, maybe you should buy some exclusives, then you might have some games that make people want to buy your console, :lol:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168568

MCGSMB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MCGSMB
Member since 2007 • 2149 Posts

So, in other words, "we don't try to get games. Games try to get us."

Hmm, maybe that's why the PS3 is failing.

shaggygrosser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 shaggygrosser
Member since 2003 • 5871 Posts
reminds me of a child throwing a tantrum at a grocery store.
Avatar image for justforlotr2004
justforlotr2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 justforlotr2004
Member since 2004 • 10935 Posts

In a not-very-disguised jab at Microsoft, SCEA President Jack Tretton told PSM in the latest issue:

"We have a very different approach to exclusives than some of our competitors. We don't buy exclusivity. We don't fund development. We don't, for lack of a better term, bribe somebody to only do a game on our platform. We earn it..." :lol::lol::lol:

He went on to say...

"Microsoft is too dependent on the third-party community, :question: and Nintendo is too depended on first-party. We like to feel that we got a pretty good mix." :lol:

Well Sony, maybe you should buy some exclusives, then you might have some games that make people want to buy your console, :lol:

Bullets4Brains

lol thats such BS, what would you call GTA (I mean earlier GTA not GTA4) being time exclusive, that was a contract they had with R*.

Avatar image for 210189677155857843583653671808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 210189677155857843583653671808
Member since 2006 • 748 Posts

the ps3 has not failed, fanboys need to get a life. the console has only been out in europe for 3 months and is already getting a nice drip feed of games.

launch:

resistance, motostorn, formula 1, oblivion

last week, rainbow 6

this week, ninja gaiden

week after, the darkness

i dont see how anyone can say it is failing

justforlotr2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 justforlotr2004

the ps3 has not failed, fanboys need to get a life. the console has only been out in europe for 3 months and is already getting a nice drip feed of games.

launch:

last week, rainbow 6

this week, ninja gaiden

week after, the darkness

anthonydwyer

Yeah PS3 is doing fine, its just not doing as expected which is why I guess people are on sony's case all the time.

voxware00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 voxware00
Member since 2004 • 5018 Posts

they dont fund development?

so the devs of little big planet just chose sony for no reason at all

*cough*bs

MegaPigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MegaPigeon
Member since 2007 • 1726 Posts

the ps3 has not failed,

anthonydwyer

Why do I hear this kind of response every time a CEO of Sony says something stupid?

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#9 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
If they want more exclusivities they better START picking up exclusivity rights. Thats like gaming 101. -_-
TrueReligion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TrueReligion_
Member since 2006 • 11037 Posts
Jack Tretton is such an idiot.
Michael85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Michael85
Member since 2005 • 3971 Posts
At the moment, I doubt they have the cash to throw around at 3rd parties.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Vandalvideo
At the moment, I doubt they have the cash to throw around at 3rd parties.Michael85
Stop, reread what you just said. Ok good. Sony is a mega-conglomerate thats in the black and has enough money to buy a country. I'm sure they have enough money. I'm sure their suits understand the concept of investment. Exclusives = users.
Primenova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Primenova
Member since 2003 • 452 Posts
Buying exclusives and funding development is how Sony got as far as they did. It certainly isn't because of quality hardware and first-party games.Most ofthe bestgames were developed by external studios who were funded by Sony and then later purchased.
Avatar image for Vyse_The_Daring
Vyse_The_Daring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Vyse_The_Daring
Member since 2003 • 5318 Posts
Jack Tretton is now the head of Sony's "Ridiculous Quotes" department. :lol:
TrueReligion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TrueReligion_
Member since 2006 • 11037 Posts

At the moment, I doubt they have the cash to throw around at 3rd parties.Michael85

ORLY? :|

justforlotr2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 justforlotr2004

[QUOTE="Michael85"]At the moment, I doubt they have the cash to throw around at 3rd parties.Vandalvideo
Stop, reread what you just said. Ok good. Sony is a mega-conglomerate thats in the black and has enough money to buy a country. I'm sure they have enough money. I'm sure their suits understand the concept of investment. Exclusives = users.

Sony as a whole has enough money yes, but the entertainment department of the company only gets a portion of it to spend. I'm not saying thats why they are not doing it but to say they have nearly unlimited money to buy things is completely false.

Also many of the different sections of Sony don't even work together, for example Sony music was giving away a Xbox 360 in a Promotion a while back even though they are part of Sony. The only thing they have in common is that they all give their earnings to the main corporation which is the base of the entire company.

Arsuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Arsuz
Member since 2003 • 2318 Posts
You need to read it like this: "We don't buy exclusives, we would like to, but we are bleeding money, and out stock holders would rip us a new one"
-Spock-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 -Spock-
Member since 2006 • 7072 Posts

"We don't fund development."

How does he explain DiRT's Neon engine then? Charity?

a_ratchet_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 a_ratchet_fan
Member since 2006 • 2207 Posts
[QUOTE="anthonydwyer"]

the ps3 has not failed,

MegaPigeon

Why do I hear this kind of response every time a CEO of Sony says something stupid?

Because other posts like this:

prompt responses like that.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Vandalvideo

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Michael85"]At the moment, I doubt they have the cash to throw around at 3rd parties.justforlotr2004

Sony as a whole has enough money yes, but the entertainment department of the company only gets a portion of it to spend. I'm not saying thats why they are not doing it but to say they have nearly unlimited money to buy things is completely false.

Also many of the different sections of Sony don't even work together, for example Sony music was giving away a Xbox 360 in a Promotion a while back even though they are part of Sony. The only thing they have in common is that they all give their earnings to the main corporation which is the base of the entire company.

But it is also entirely within the head office's jurisdiction to allocate resources to any seperate part of the conglomerate that needs it. In a way, the gaming department does have all the funds of every other part of the company. Thats how a conglomerate works. Use the funds of another to support other departments. A conglomerate's goal is the equal prosperity of every last one of its departments.
Kushstrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Kushstrain
Member since 2005 • 800 Posts

they dont fund development?

so the devs of little big planet just chose sony for no reason at all

*cough*bs

voxware00

Actually they did in a interview they had with the devolepers of little big planetthey said they had two choices go with nintendo or sony and they choose sony because the Ps3 could do some pretty amazing physics and thats what they needed for the game..

MegaPigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MegaPigeon
Member since 2007 • 1726 Posts
[QUOTE="MegaPigeon"][QUOTE="anthonydwyer"]

the ps3 has not failed,

a_ratchet_fan

I'd say being outsold 6 to 1 by the Wii, and nearly being outsold by the 360 in Japan isn't a good sign at all. But still, even hardcore cows should feel dirty after hearing such a dumb comment.

"We don't offer developers anythign in return and we don't fund development, we simply remind them about how we're Sony!"

justforlotr2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 justforlotr2004
[QUOTE="justforlotr2004"]

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Michael85"]At the moment, I doubt they have the cash to throw around at 3rd parties.Vandalvideo

But it is also entirely within the head office's jurisdiction to allocate resources to any seperate part of the conglomerate that needs it. In a way, the gaming department does have all the funds of every other part of the company. Thats how a conglomerate works. Use the funds of another to support other departments. A conglomerate's goal is the equal prosperity of every last one of its departments.

But with the recent suits who is to say the main resources weren't given to the hardware department for the batteries and stuff like that? I agree with what your saying but what you said about the entertainment department having full controll over the money is wrong since they are not always given what they want but only what they can get.

bri360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 bri360
Member since 2005 • 2755 Posts
What the **** is Sony thinking? If one company is offering money and help making games and one offers absolutely nothing, plus the one that is offering the "bribes" as they are calling it is currently selling more, soon Ps3 will literally loose all its exclusives and be run into the ground by the 2 powerhouse sellers MS and Nintendo.
Tsug_Ze_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 Tsug_Ze_Wind
Member since 2006 • 9511 Posts

"We earn it..."

Bullets4Brains

Yep, you earned it alright.

Avatar image for XenogearsMaster
XenogearsMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 XenogearsMaster
Member since 2007 • 3175 Posts

He went on to say...

Bullets4Brains

This is old. I really don't get why are you laughing.

You sound like a girl.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Vandalvideo
But with the recent suits who is to say the main resources weren't given to the hardware department for the batteries and stuff like that? I agree with what your saying but what you said about the entertainment department having full controll over the money is wrong since they are only givin what they can be given and not what they want.justforlotr2004
I can definitively say that if they were going to be allocating resources to any individual department, it would currently be SEC. Simply because it was the only division that wasn't in the green during the last fiscal year. (I found a breakdown of each individual section's revenue some where a few months ago, check google or somethin).
Fusible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 Fusible
Member since 2005 • 2828 Posts

In a not-very-disguised jab at Microsoft, SCEA PSquare, which lost 16.6 billion yen last year after an unsuccessful foray into movie making, received a 14.9 billion yen funds injection from Sony last year to strengthen its capital and financial footing. resident Jack Tretton told PSM in the latest issue:

He went on to say...

Bullets4Brains

Then he just shot himself in the foot. Here's article from Sep 02'.

Square, which lost 16.6 billion yen last year after an unsuccessful foray into movie making, received a 14.9 billion yen funds injection from Sony last year to strengthen its capital and financial footing.

LINK

Mfals

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Mfals
Member since 2007 • 447 Posts

Maybe they can't afford to have MGS4 and FF13 as an exclusives.

Konami and Square Enix will Whore out in time.

It's just a matter of how much and when.

Acemaster27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Acemaster27
Member since 2004 • 4482 Posts

MCGSMB

In Soviet Russia, games get YOU

justforlotr2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 justforlotr2004

[QUOTE="justforlotr2004"]But with the recent suits who is to say the main resources weren't given to the hardware department for the batteries and stuff like that? I agree with what your saying but what you said about the entertainment department having full controll over the money is wrong since they are only givin what they can be given and not what they want.Vandalvideo
I can definitively say that if they were going to be allocating resources to any individual department, it would currently be SEC. Simply because it was the only division that wasn't in the green during the last fiscal year. (I found a breakdown of each individual section's revenue some where a few months ago, check google or somethin).

Yeah I know, I agree with you. :P

I was just stating that at some times they may not be able to get funds even if the company is a multi-billion dollar company.

Tsug_Ze_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Tsug_Ze_Wind

You sound like a girl.

XenogearsMaster

:lol::lol::lol: That was the single dumbest retort I've ever seen. You're not at all embarrassed?

I know that when Reggie says something stupid, I slap my head. I guess most cows just keep nodding. "Yes Sony, yes Sony, yes Sony..."

XenogearsMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 XenogearsMaster
[QUOTE="XenogearsMaster"]

You sound like a girl.

Tsug_Ze_Wind

:lol::lol::lol: That was the single dumbest retort I've ever seen. You're not at all embarrassed?

I know that when Reggie says something stupid, I slap my head. I guess most cows just keep nodding. "Yes Sony, yes Sony, yes Sony..."

Seriously, what was wrong with his quotes?

Unforgiven2870

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Unforgiven2870
Member since 2004 • 6386 Posts
Jack Tretton is now the head of Sony's "Ridiculous Quotes" department. :lol:Vyse_The_Daring
:lol: Siged untill After E3 rofl.
Oemenia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#35 Oemenia
Member since 2003 • 10416 Posts
So basically Nintendo and Sony have done it many times over (buying exclusives ) yet MS doing it once with Rare and an obscure game that with their funding became legendary is buying the industry?
deangallop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36 deangallop
Member since 2004 • 3811 Posts

You sound like a girl.

Tsug_Ze_Wind

Not all cows are like that, just the majority.

lordxymor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lordxymor
Member since 2004 • 2438 Posts
Buying exclusives is nothing to brag about. The best thing to do, would be provide a platform so much better then the competitors that technical difference would guarantee exclusivity. Developers are yet to find such thing in the ps3.
Tsug_Ze_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Tsug_Ze_Wind

XenogearsMaster

It should be obvious...

"We don't offer developers anythign in return and we don't fund development, we simply remind them about how we're Sony!"

MegaPigeon
Unforgiven2870

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Unforgiven2870
Buying exclusives is nothing to brag about. The best thing to do, would be provide a platform so much better then the competitors that technical difference would guarantee exclusivity. Developers are yet to find such thing in the ps3. lordxymor
Uhh we'll find out when MGS4 comes.
Avatar image for deactivated-61ff675e61178
deactivated-61ff675e61178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-61ff675e61178
Member since 2004 • 12558 Posts

If they want more exclusivities they better START picking up exclusivity rights. Thats like gaming 101. -_-Vandalvideo

They're doing that by publishing the games. It's called 2nd party. They were doing it last gen with Insomniac, and this gen they've added Factor 5, Media Molecule, and possibly even Quantic Dream (depending on whether Heavy Rain is a one time thing for Sony, or whether QD signed an exclusivity contract with the company)to their list of exclusive 2nd party developers.

Avatar image for 210189677155857843583653671808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 210189677155857843583653671808
Member since 2006 • 748 Posts
[QUOTE="a_ratchet_fan"][QUOTE="MegaPigeon"][QUOTE="anthonydwyer"]

the ps3 has not failed,

MegaPigeon

I'd say being outsold 6 to 1 by the Wii, and nearly being outsold by the 360 in Japan isn't a good sign at all. But still, even hardcore cows should feel dirty after hearing such a dumb comment.

It is to my understanding that the ps3 is the fastest selling playstation of all time.

so if its selling better then the ps one, did at launch and is also selling faster then the Ps2 there is no justification to say this console has failed.

i dont think selling 165,000 systems in to days means it has failed.

http://www.destructoid.com/most-shocking-internet-news-ps3-is-the-fastest-selling-console-ever-in-uk-30604.phtml

http://www.digitalbattle.com/2007/03/26/ps3-fastest-selling-console-ever-in-uk/

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/26261/Record-breaking-165000-PS3s-sold-at-UK-launch

d3thm0nkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 d3thm0nkey
Member since 2006 • 615 Posts

launch:

last week, rainbow 6

this week, ninja gaiden

week after, the darkness

anthonydwyer
People loved the PS2. PS3 may not be a failure but compared to PS2 it is at least a disappointment. You would have to be a fanboy to claim otherwise. I admit I was disappointed with my gamecube last gen. There is no disgrace in seeing the world as it is. From 1st (by a long shot) to 3rd is a drop.
Tsug_Ze_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Tsug_Ze_Wind
are like that, just the majority.

deangallop

Hence "most." But yeah, I know that's there are sheep and take Reggie's word as gospel and lemmings who take Moore's word as gospel, but when Sony lets garbage like this out to the press, the blind cows become much more apparent.

EDIT: How did the quote get cut? :?

MCGSMB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 MCGSMB
Member since 2007 • 2149 Posts
Wow, fastest selling console ever IN THE UK. Also, correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the PS3 selling approximately 80,000 consoles per month?
XenogearsMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 XenogearsMaster

Tsug_Ze_Wind

It should be obvious...

MegaPigeon

Seriously, is that what he said?

Can anyonegive mea good explation why his quotes are ridiculous?

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts

Dear Sony,

Fire Jack Tretton ASAP. The man is a PR disaster and is lowering the collective IQ of your company.

Signed,

Gamers Everywhere.

v-vega75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 v-vega75
Member since 2006 • 414 Posts
every time jack opens his mouth he is caught in a lie. killzone 2 is in realtime and is real gameplay. 1st lie, if you could find a ps3 sitting on shelve i will give you $1200.2nd lie. now we don't pay for exclusives we earn them. here is your 3rd lie. http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3160759
i guess these guys just gave it to you right.
Unforgiven2870

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Unforgiven2870
[QUOTE="anthonydwyer"]

launch:

last week, rainbow 6

this week, ninja gaiden

week after, the darkness

d3thm0nkey

People loved the PS2. PS3 may not be a failure but compared to PS2 it is at least a disappointment. You would have to be a fanboy to claim otherwise. I admit I was disappointed with my gamecube last gen. There is no disgrace in seeing the world as it is. From 1st (by a long shot) to 3rd is a drop.

Yea see there's a difference there.Gamecube was a disappointed because there wern't enough games comming to it.PS3 is a disappointment (For Now) because the price point is so high.

Although over the last few months its been said that they have lowerd the production cost of the ps3.Which makes me wonder if we really will see something disscused a price drop at E3.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts
Normal corporate BS, what else do you expect him to say?
FatalDomain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 FatalDomain
Member since 2005 • 1783 Posts
[QUOTE="anthonydwyer"]

launch:

last week, rainbow 6

this week, ninja gaiden

week after, the darkness

justforlotr2004

Yeah PS3 is doing fine, its just not doing as expected which is why I guess people are on sony's case all the time.

Yeah that good ole racing horse Miss Bestie, with one broke leg and a twisted ankle is doing just fine in this here Kentucky Derby...She was last years champion so if you give her some time she will show em all whose boss!!!! Just because them other steeds ran out the gate in a flash and is about to lap Miss Bestie doesnt mean we dont have the faith in our champion, she can pull through for the win.

Sad to see so many gamers in denial regarding the status of Sony and the PS3...If MS or Ninty were in Sony's position this gen (lack of sales hardware/software), the Sony clan would have unanimously called their consoles a bust.. But as we all know its a Sony, so its OK!

Game On....